Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-11, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Originally Posted by Mickactual
Same here. I just saw the Mae set tonight at a local (NJ) Shop Rite supermarket for $12.99 with slipcover. I may go with Amazon, since none of my local BL's have it.
I am wondering if buying the Mae West or Marlene Dietrich sets on Amazon will guarantee one gets the slipcover as many of the "new and used" sellers appear to be getting their stuff from BL and may not even know the slipcover came with the original releases. (This may also be a problem if you buy it direct from Amazon if the title is "shipped by..." as Amazon has often being doing of late for older titles.)
Old 07-02-11, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana
I've noticed Big Lots slowly raising DVD prices over the last year. This doesn't surprise me as a lot of stores (even online ones) I deal with have been creeping prices upwards in all categories. Even Meritline.com (a great place for cheap Chinese junk) has doubled a lot of their prices. It's inflation even though the Fed claims there is none: "excluding food and energy, inflation is relatively tame" blah blah. It's like saying "excluding war and disasters, the world is relatively peaceful".

With Blu-Ray prices coming down quickly, to see DVDs going up in price just seems strange to me. I can barely bring myself to pay $3 for a DVD knowing the Blu-Ray is out there and will be obtainable for a few dollars more fairly soon. If tomorrow Big Lots raised all of their DVD prices to $5, then I'd browse Big Lots DVDs about as often as I browse Walmart's $5 bin which is... almost never.

However, I'm not worried. I think Big Lots will learn that their DVDs don't sell better at $5 than they did at $3, and I expect they'll be forced to lower the prices again. Now if we were talking about newer titles, $5 could be justified.
I doubt BL is raising their prices in general since they are still selling $3 titles and get new ones in; they probably are just not getting these $5 titles at the same wholesale price as in the past and have to mark them up accordingly. I suspect the studios have raised the prices themselves about $2 a disc wholesale.
Old 07-02-11, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 30smovies
I doubt BL is raising their prices in general since they are still selling $3 titles and get new ones in; they probably are just not getting these $5 titles at the same wholesale price as in the past and have to mark them up accordingly. I suspect the studios have raised the prices themselves about $2 a disc wholesale.
I suspect you're right.
Old 07-03-11, 01:34 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone have details on the 4th of july sale?

a week ago I overhead an employee telling a customer everything will be 20% off, but Im not sure if its a one day thing or if it's even happening
Old 07-03-11, 03:53 AM

Another big batch at a different SF L.A. valley store (Pacoima).

$3
Lipstick Jungle S2 [there was no price on this but it was mixed in w/the $3]
The Missing [full-screen but 2nd disc full of features inc/Ron Howard short films]
Marie Antoinette [Kirsten Dunst/Sofia Coppola]
A Lawless Street [Randolph Scott/Angela Lansbury]
The Plainsman [Gary Cooper/Cecil B. DeMille]
Odd Jobs [Paul Reiser/Robert Townsend]
The Tailor Of Panama [Pierce Bronson/Geoffrey Rush/John Boorman/John Le Carre]
Anything Else [Woody Allen]
Comedy Club Shoot-Out Vol. 1 [Seinfeld/Maher/Spade/Chong/Sandler/Hartman/Shearer]
Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter
The Sea Wolves [Gregory Peck/David Niven/Roger Moore] -snapper case-
Varsity Show [Dick Powell/Busby Berkeley]
It Came From Beneath The Sea [2-disc set with color/b&w versions/bonus]
Every Time We Say Goodbye [Tom Hanks/Cristina Marsillach]
Cold Vengeance - John Wayne in Color [includes B&W version]
The Adventures of Chico And Guapo - The Complete First Season [MTV2]
My Super Sweet 16 - Seasons 1&2 [MTV]
Nothing In Common [Tom Hanks/Jackie Gleason]
All The Right Moves [Tom Cruise/Lea Thompson]
Forever Darling [Lucille Ball/Desi Arnaz/James Mason] -slimpack-
A Fine Madness [Sean Connery/Joanne Woodward/Jean Seberg/Irvin Kershner]
Pufnstuf [1970 feature film]
Drumline
New York, New York [30th Anniversary 2-disc set/Scorsese Commentary]

$5
Marlene Dietrich: The Glamour Collection [5 films on 2 discs/no slipcase]

Last edited by TerryW; 07-04-11 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-03-11, 06:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rdf8585
Shemp Howard has a small role as a waiter in the Dietrich film FLAME OF NEW ORLEANS (1941). It's on the set some see at Big Lots.
Shemp (as a tailor) is also in the John Wayne(!) movie Pittsburgh (1942), which is in the John Wayne-An American Icon set that's been spotted at Big Lots.
Old 07-03-11, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
it's 4.98 shipped on Amazon MP, so I hope you got it for $3

Making a BL run today so I hoping for the W.C. Fields collection ...
Yep, $3...
Old 07-03-11, 02:22 PM

I finally found a copy of The Wild Bunch two-disc special edition. I also picked up the Marlene Dietrich collection. I also saw that July 17th is their 20% sale.
Old 07-03-11, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by rdf8585
Unless you're a hardcore Three Stooges fan, you probably don't know that Shemp Howard has a small role as a waiter in the Dietrich film FLAME OF NEW ORLEANS (1941). It's on the set some see at Big Lots.
Originally Posted by digidoh
Shemp (as a tailor) is also in the John Wayne(!) movie Pittsburgh (1942), which is in the John Wayne-An American Icon set that's been spotted at Big Lots.
Shemp can also found in the 1942 version of Walter Wanger's "Arabian Nights" portraying Sinbad. That DVD (Universal Cinema Classics) has been spotted at Big Lots as well.
Old 07-03-11, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by 30smovies
I am wondering if buying the Mae West or Marlene Dietrich sets on Amazon will guarantee one gets the slipcover
[...]
That's a good point. I suppose the only way to know is to ask ahead of time. I have found (not surprising, really) that the condition of used Marketplace stuff varies quite a bit among sellers. I am to the point that I nearly always contact the seller before a purchase. If it's a used DVD, I may confirm that the chapter list sheet or booklet is included, or confirm the condition of a DVD with custom cardboard packaging. If it's a new DVD, I may make sure it's not a cut-out, and perhaps still confirm the condition...because "new" doesn't necessarily mean "mint"/"near mint". Better to be safe than sorry, and a good seller won't mind answering your question.
Old 07-03-11, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by thetao
Better to be safe than sorry, and a good seller won't mind answering your question.
As a seller on Amazon I know how important it is to communicate with buyers and potential buyers, which is why I am always shocked at the lack of response I get when I ask a seller a question. It's happened dozens of times. I honestly don't think many sellers ever check their E mail.

By the same token, I have sold over 600 items on Amazon, yet have a feedback rating just over a hundred. Very few people ever leave feedback for a seller on Amazon and Amazon does not seem too concerned with making the process more user friendly. It's funny because it's always the first thing I check on a seller. I haven't sold on Ebay in a long time, but the feedback option there was more important than it seems to be on Amazon.

End of rant. Back to the topic!
Old 07-03-11, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That's a good point. I suppose the only way to know is to ask ahead of time. I have found (not surprising, really) that the condition of used Marketplace stuff varies quite a bit among sellers. I am to the point that I nearly always contact the seller before a purchase. If it's a used DVD, I may confirm that the chapter list sheet or booklet is included, or confirm the condition of a DVD with custom cardboard packaging. If it's a new DVD, I may make sure it's not a cut-out, and perhaps still confirm the condition...because "new" doesn't necessarily mean "mint"/"near mint". Better to be safe than sorry, and a good seller won't mind answering your question.
That may not always be the case. I have sold too and try to answer all questions, but it's a PITA to check a used DVD for a chapter list if the cost is very cheap (< $10). I can see why sellers with large inventories would not answer every question and would weigh the cost of the item to the time it would take to research an answer. There's not a whole lot of risk of losing potential business for most resellers since I doubt most are recognizable by name (unless they are very big).
Old 07-04-11, 02:51 PM

@ ProfessorEcho and That'sAllFolks:

As you both have systems that work, I wouldn't dream of suggesting you change anything. But for me, I have taken a "no reply = no sale" philosophy. If I ask, "is this DVD a cut out?" and get no reply, I automatically assume it was, and breathe a sigh of relief that I bothered to ask. It's for this same reason that I never buy from Spun or SecondSpin, as they can't be bothered to answer any questions. An item would have to be very rare or very well priced to do otherwise. (FYI, I have also started doing this at supermarkets and discount stores, where they are too sloppy to label the price on the shelf. No guessing games for me.)

End of rant.
Old 07-04-11, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
As a seller on Amazon I know how important it is to communicate with buyers and potential buyers, which is why I am always shocked at the lack of response I get when I ask a seller a question. It's happened dozens of times. I honestly don't think many sellers ever check their E mail.

By the same token, I have sold over 600 items on Amazon, yet have a feedback rating just over a hundred. Very few people ever leave feedback for a seller on Amazon and Amazon does not seem too concerned with making the process more user friendly. It's funny because it's always the first thing I check on a seller. I haven't sold on Ebay in a long time, but the feedback option there was more important than it seems to be on Amazon.

End of rant. Back to the topic!
well, just a another brief off topic comment...I have a feedback of 558 on amazon, and I'd imagine like you I have sold 5-6 times that amount(Been on since , well, more than a decade) That's why I always leave feedback, when I get one of those rare amazon emails asking for me to leave feedback.
And as for user friendly. Ever search a seller that seems to have good deals??? Good luck with that! No way to search sellers by actor, title, format, etc...You feel like as a reseller, you are someone amazon tolerates, but that's all.
I don't have a ton of inventory , and most of it won't sell for years since automated software has some competitors selling the same items at 33 cents, but if someone asks if a certain song is on a cd that has no track listing on amazon, I'll do it...
Old 07-05-11, 01:32 AM

Here are some titles I've seen recently.

Blue State
Christina's House
Breeders
The Ranch: Unrated
Amityville 3-D
The Yes Men
The Flying Scotsman
Her Best Move
Picture This!
Into The Blue 2: The Reef
National Lampoon's Last Resort
Bottoms Up
Swept Away
National Lampoon's Dorm Daze 2: Unrated
Walking Tall: The Payback
30 Days Of Night
All The King's Men
Attack Of The Gryphon
The Forsaken
If Only
Old 07-05-11, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Supposedly there is going to be a 20% off coupon available for July 17th, going off a tip from a worker.
Old 07-05-11, 07:28 AM

Picked up the following in Albany NY on Saturday:

For Your Eyes Only (2 disc ultimate edition)
Octopussy (2 disc ultimate edition)
The Book Of Daniel (TV series with Aidan Quinn)
What's the Matter With Helen/Whoever Slew Auntie Roo (MGM Midnight Movies--one movie on each side of disc)
Romance on the High Seas (Doris Day's film debut)
Old 07-05-11, 10:00 AM

@ ProfessorEcho and That'sAllFolks:

As you both have systems that work, I wouldn't dream of suggesting you change anything. But for me, I have taken a "no reply = no sale" philosophy. If I ask, "is this DVD a cut out?" and get no reply, I automatically assume it was, and breathe a sigh of relief that I bothered to ask. It's for this same reason that I never buy from Spun or SecondSpin, as they can't be bothered to answer any questions. An item would have to be very rare or very well priced to do otherwise. (FYI, I have also started doing this at supermarkets and discount stores, where they are too sloppy to label the price on the shelf. No guessing games for me.)

End of rant.
I don't blame you. As a buyer, I would take the same attitude. It's just as a seller, sometimes the work does not outweigh the potential sale.

Originally Posted by berigan
And as for user friendly. Ever search a seller that seems to have good deals??? Good luck with that! No way to search sellers by actor, title, format, etc...You feel like as a reseller, you are someone amazon tolerates, but that's all.
If you find an item the seller's inventory, click on the store name. It brings you to the feedback page, then click on (store name) storefront. It then allows you to search inside a particular seller's inventory.
Old 07-05-11, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't want to sway this too far OT, but did want to say this much about selling at Amazon: I respond to every single inquiry that is made for an item I'm selling, usually within hours of receiving it. I bust my ass to offer the best, personalized customer service I can for every single buyer. Not just in the expected areas of honest, detailed descriptions, secure packaging and fast shipping, but in other ways as well. I always try to make the customer feel good about their purchase. As an individual, low volume seller I have to somehow separate myself from the mega-sellers and I try to do it by offering a more personal approach to every transaction. That's one of the reasons I can't stand the way the feedback system works or I should say doesn't work.

I agree with TheTao about not buying from sellers who don't respond to my questions and I also shy away from sellers who can't be bothered to write any description or just have the same description for every item. As a buyer I want detailed descriptions. Another bad feature at Amazon is the lack of a proper option to write a solid description of the item you're selling. They have a little box which can fit a lot of type, but is very hard to navigate if you want to type in more than a few words. It winds up being easier to do it by using the EDIT function on the final page. I have spoken to Amazon Seller Help about changing this, but all they do is promise they will consider it.

Okay, sorry to go so far OT.
Old 07-05-11, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ebay still allows sellers to write detailed descriptions, but in any category with "prefilled listing information" the seller's description is so buried that few buyers ever see it.
Old 07-05-11, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't want to sway this too far OT, but did want to say this much about selling at Amazon: I respond to every single inquiry that is made for an item I'm selling, usually within hours of receiving it. I bust my ass to offer the best, personalized customer service I can for every single buyer. Not just in the expected areas of honest, detailed descriptions, secure packaging and fast shipping, but in other ways as well. I always try to make the customer feel good about their purchase. As an individual, low volume seller I have to somehow separate myself from the mega-sellers and I try to do it by offering a more personal approach to every transaction. That's one of the reasons I can't stand the way the feedback system works or I should say doesn't work.

I agree with TheTao about not buying from sellers who don't respond to my questions and I also shy away from sellers who can't be bothered to write any description or just have the same description for every item. As a buyer I want detailed descriptions. Another bad feature at Amazon is the lack of a proper option to write a solid description of the item you're selling. They have a little box which can fit a lot of type, but is very hard to navigate if you want to type in more than a few words. It winds up being easier to do it by using the EDIT function on the final page. I have spoken to Amazon Seller Help about changing this, but all they do is promise they will consider it.

Okay, sorry to go so far OT.
For me getting feedback on Ebay is always easy ,I am amazed at how many people leave feedback.....BUT....on Amazon I am equally amazed how NO ONE leaves Feedback.
Old 07-05-11, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Drake
For me getting feedback on Ebay is always easy ,I am amazed at how many people leave feedback.....BUT....on Amazon I am equally amazed how NO ONE leaves Feedback.
I'd say the amount of people that leave feedback is less than 10%.
Old 07-05-11, 06:46 PM

picked up Blade the series and W.C Fields collection Volume 2 for $5 each today
Old 07-05-11, 06:55 PM

I will ONLY leave feedback for those "individual, low volume sellers" (like yourself) who are still striving to get a well-deserving push. I don't waste my time or even bother leaving feedback for "mega sellers" (the ones that already have tens-of-thousands and hundred-of-thousands of feedback).

I have ordered from plenty of sellers in the Amazon Marketplace over the years, and the ones that actually take the effort to include a small note of appreciation (thanks for the order, etc.) in the shipment are the ones I leave feedback. If they take that effort, then likewise I will take the initiative to leave them a positive rating.
Old 07-06-11, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Drake
For me getting feedback on Ebay is always easy ,I am amazed at how many people leave feedback
IMO, ebay has some very good psychological engineers, a significant # of ebay buyers treat feedback like an out of control addiction.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.