Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-11, 11:38 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

I really do not think that anyone is fooled by any sticker that BL uses. The ones I have seen generally have Previously Viewed stickers fairly prominently at the lower left front and quite distinct from the price tag. As for special features, all of the PV TV seasons I have purchased from BL (for six bucks, for crying out loud) have had all the special features - gag reels, making of featurettes, etc - that I have found in store bought sets. So while I appreciate the considerable detail in the previous message, I suspect DiscGuy is talking to the wrong audience.
Old 05-20-11, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Don't know if anyone else bought the BL Rental version of Slumdog Millionaire a few months ago, but mine looked brand new & unplayed.
Old 05-20-11, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by skippysgarden
I really do not think that anyone is fooled by any sticker that BL uses. The ones I have seen generally have Previously Viewed stickers fairly prominently at the lower left front and quite distinct from the price tag.
Yep! I've seen the Big Lot DVDs with the "Previously Viewed" stickers placed in the lower left corner. Those are regular consumer DVDs, the same you could buy anywhere, that have been rented and repackaged. I have purchased several. These are not the problem. What I'm talking about is something different.

The new DVDs that I am warning about are also previously viewed and repackaged. But it is the product itself that is the issue. These are NOT consumer DVDs. These are specially authored DVDs with missing content. Anyone whose been inside a Blockbuster store might be familiar with these. The cases say "RENTAL" across the bottom of the cover 1" high. This is meant to alert the informed consumer that this DVD is different from the one you can buy anywhere else. Anyone who rents online from NetFlix or Blockbuster may have seen the word "RENTAL" printed into the artwork on the disc itself.

The special features are removed: no commentary, no interviews, no deleted scenes, no gag reels, NOTHING but the movie. Oh and there is one other difference: many "RENTAL" version have 10-15 minutes of forced previews before the movie with no way to fast forward, chapter skip, or jump to the menu. These are a special product: a "RENTAL" DVD that was not intended to be sold to the public.

For these feature-less DVDs, Big Lots designed a HUGE price sticker (3.5" x 1.25") that is placed at the bottom of the cover...specifically to hide the very large word "RENTAL" -- the only warning an informed consumer is provided. The sticker has the BIG LOTS logo (in light blue), the barcode, and the words "Previously Viewed Rental". It should read "Special Rental Version -- Features Omitted."

@skippysgarden: Click the link I provided. Then read some of the comments. These are NOT full-featured consumer DVDs. When you see one in your Big Lots store, see how a specially sized price tag was specially designed and strategically placed, you might begin to see the issue. -- Let me know when you've seen one with the giant price tag at the bottom.
Old 05-20-11, 03:21 AM

Asking again, is this 2/$5 DVD sale till Saturday or next Tuesday? If it ends Saturday, I'll brave The Rapture, as well as the thunderstorms predicted here to take my two buses out and check the booty. If not, and the world doesn't end, I'll wait till Sunday.
Thanks!
Old 05-20-11, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by NYCMan
Asking again, is this 2/$5 DVD sale till Saturday or next Tuesday? If it ends Saturday, I'll brave The Rapture, as well as the thunderstorms predicted here to take my two buses out and check the booty. If not, and the world doesn't end, I'll wait till Sunday.
Thanks!
I went to biglots.com, entered my zip code and the ad that came up (showing the 2/$5 DVDs) said 5/15-5/24. You may want to check the site for your local store to see if it shows the same.
Old 05-20-11, 07:55 AM
CVB

To Kevy,

No, I did not see "Don't Look Now"... but there were a lot of titles I had not seen at Big Lots before...
Old 05-20-11, 08:28 AM

the 2/$5 sale is only for "family movies'. At least that is what I see when I type in my zipcode at biglots.com. Doesn't sound like it applies to most movies.
Old 05-20-11, 08:42 AM

Found this Rock Hudson 5-film collection yesterday at the BL in Heath, Ohio.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/25228...ction/?___rd=1
Old 05-20-11, 08:44 AM

Forgot to mention that the Rock Hudson set was $5
Old 05-20-11, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by CVB
To Kevy,

No, I did not see "Don't Look Now"... but there were a lot of titles I had not seen at Big Lots before...

Thanks for the info. That is like the only title from the different batches
over the last few months that I've been hoping to find
Old 05-20-11, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Steve
the 2/$5 sale is only for "family movies'. At least that is what I see when I type in my zipcode at biglots.com. Doesn't sound like it applies to most movies.
Check the print ad - '21 Grams' and 'Stripes' are apparently considered family movies.
New ad says 'May Madness ends Tuesday' and 2 for $5 bit is in the ad. Just wanted to make sure.
Old 05-20-11, 04:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Looking at the ad, it looks like all $3-$4 DVDs are included in the 2 for $5 promo. Speaking of which, my ad says the sale ends Tuesday May 24th.
============================================================
ATTN. ALL MILITARY PERSONNEL !!!
DON'T FORGET TO SHOW YOUR I.D. AT BIG LOTS TOMORROW MAY 21st FOR 10% OFF !!

Thank you for serving.
Old 05-20-11, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DiscGuy
The new DVDs that I am warning about are also previously viewed and repackaged. But it is the product itself that is the issue. These are NOT consumer DVDs. These are specially authored DVDs with missing content.
Thanks for the heads up. I don't typically buy used DVD's unless I can scrutinize what's inside (as I get enough rude surprises buying NEW movies ), but will now keep these at an even longer arm's length.
Old 05-20-11, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Pearl St, Tacoma Wa got a bunch if the $3 previewed (both broken up sets & single movies), the cases looked really ratty.

They also got 1 $5 tray that would have been interesting @ $3. The few titles I remember are
Grumpy / Grumpier Old Men 2 film
Miss Congeniality 1 & 2 box
Brando Franchise
Underworld #1
Warner 4 film romance box (sorry i don't remember the 4 films. Julia Roberts kinda stuff)

The rest was a combo of new & restocks, imo nothing worth more than $3.
Old 05-20-11, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cabbage
Found this Rock Hudson 5-film collection yesterday at the BL in Heath, Ohio.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/25228...ction/?___rd=1

It looks like this?

I want this!
Old 05-20-11, 11:05 PM

I saw a restock of a lot of stuff that has already been mentioned here but also saw Seaquest s2, Conviction and Punk'd s2 for 5.00 each.
Old 05-20-11, 11:39 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't even know there was a sale, my fiancee picked up Final Destination and Poltergeist, each marked $3 and they rang up as $2.50.

I can not believe the 2 disc Pan's Labyrinth is only $3, they had a ton - I almost bought them all to give to people who haven't seen the film. They also had an entire tray of the King Kong extended cut.
Old 05-21-11, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I saw a restock of a lot of stuff that has already been mentioned here but also saw Seaquest s2, Conviction and Punk'd s2 for 5.00 each.
Sorry.

Do you mean new or used - "SeaQuest" season 2?
Old 05-21-11, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by chard31

It looks like this?

I want this!
Those in NY looking for this, check out two Entertainment Outlet locations. They've also got the Bing Crosby set and the Lon Chaney, Jr. 'Inner Sanctum' set. 2 for $10 or $5.99 each.
Old 05-21-11, 06:44 AM

New factory sealed Seaquest DSV s2.

Last edited by ryan458; 05-23-11 at 05:16 PM. Reason: update
Old 05-21-11, 07:46 AM

If only they had Seaquest DSV: Season 1.
I already own season 2, so only need season 1 to complete what is currently out for that series.

I got a "Previously Viewed" copy of An American Carol and a new America's Sweethearts. The Carol is a complete blind buy and only bought it because of Nielsen and Zuker's names on the cover. I hope Carol is worth the $2.50.
Old 05-21-11, 11:45 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by DouglasRobert
I got a "Previously Viewed" copy of An American Carol and a new America's Sweethearts. The Carol is a complete blind buy and only bought it because of Nielsen and Zuker's names on the cover. I hope Carol is worth the $2.50.
It's not. It's awful.
Old 05-21-11, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by comix8
Originally Posted by DouglasRobert
It's not. It's awful.
Agree.
Old 05-22-11, 09:05 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Found Hancock: 2-Disc Unrated Special Edition With Bonus Production Notes Booklet for $5 at the local BigLots yesterday. -kd5-
Old 05-22-11, 03:14 PM

Tons of Gary Cooper.

Quite a few Marlon Brando.

Just one Fred Astaire.

No Rock Hudson. Dang.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.