DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/582101-big-lots-part-9-list-your-finds-here-no-trades.html)

That'sAllFolks 06-27-11 10:06 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Originally Posted by TerryW (Post 10833741)
While I'm awaiting the Glamour Collections and the WC Fields Vol. 2 to find their way to L.A. I found a few more items that I mostly hadn't seen before.

$3
Stagecoach Run [John Wayne in Color] also has B&W version
Stolen Goods [John Wayne in Color] also has B&W version/extras
Rustlers' Rhapsody
The Walker [Paul Schrader film]
Edmond [director: Stuart Gordon/writer: David Mamet]
976-EVIL [1.33:1]
Rock Star

$5
Loonatics Unleashed - Complete First Season [13 Episodes]
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure/Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey [MGM 2-fer]
Mutiny On The Bounty [snapper]

Loonatics Unleashed - Complete First Season [13 Episodes] has been $3

also looking for the collections ....

byriver50 06-28-11 07:29 AM

The WC Fields sets seem to be a very hot item. Saw them in three separate Albany NY area stores but when I finally went back to get them, all three were out of it.

Have seen "Mutiny on the Bounty" in a couple stores.

Quatermass 06-28-11 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by byriver50 (Post 10834088)

Have seen "Mutiny on the Bounty" in a couple stores.

That was $3 a few months ago.

rdf8585 06-28-11 12:19 PM

Those W.C Fields sets are nothing short of a colossal steal at 5.... THE MAN ON THE FLYING TRAPEZE is arguably his best film and that alone is WELL worth $5. It generated more laughs for me than any of his other films and I'm a big fan of his. YOU'RE TELLING ME me is also great. The only dud in that set is POPPY.

mr Articulate 06-28-11 12:56 PM

Yeah - not happy that many 'new' $5 titles were $3 - Godzilla, Lethal Weapon 3, etc.

Manzana 06-28-11 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by mr Articulate (Post 10834582)
Yeah - not happy that many 'new' $5 titles were $3 - Godzilla, Lethal Weapon 3, etc.

I've noticed Big Lots slowly raising DVD prices over the last year. This doesn't surprise me as a lot of stores (even online ones) I deal with have been creeping prices upwards in all categories. Even Meritline.com (a great place for cheap Chinese junk) has doubled a lot of their prices. It's inflation even though the Fed claims there is none: "excluding food and energy, inflation is relatively tame" blah blah. It's like saying "excluding war and disasters, the world is relatively peaceful".

With Blu-Ray prices coming down quickly, to see DVDs going up in price just seems strange to me. I can barely bring myself to pay $3 for a DVD knowing the Blu-Ray is out there and will be obtainable for a few dollars more fairly soon. If tomorrow Big Lots raised all of their DVD prices to $5, then I'd browse Big Lots DVDs about as often as I browse Walmart's $5 bin which is... almost never.

However, I'm not worried. I think Big Lots will learn that their DVDs don't sell better at $5 than they did at $3, and I expect they'll be forced to lower the prices again. Now if we were talking about newer titles, $5 could be justified.

rmw650 06-28-11 04:31 PM

Just hoping they get some better titles down the road along with some more TV shows as well. Prices are decent but the quantity and selection is the stumbling block here.

kd5 06-28-11 05:45 PM

Picked up the Midnite Movies Double Feature: Strange Invaders / Invaders From Mars for $3 today. -kd5-

giant panda 06-28-11 06:14 PM

I don't think they are purposely raising prices, there's just a lot of randomness to it. it works both ways, with some DVDs and sets being underpriced

I'm looking forward to the 4th of July sale. I'll probably pick up 5-10 dvds then

That'sAllFolks 06-28-11 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by giant panda (Post 10835030)
I don't think they are purposely raising prices, there's just a lot of randomness to it. it works both ways, with some DVDs and sets being underpriced

I'm looking forward to the 4th of July sale. I'll probably pick up 5-10 dvds then

Actually they are raising prices -- to $5 for select batches, but they don't seem to really try to select what may actually be worth $5 or $3. You are right in that it is random what the titles are priced (except of multi-movie sets). I predict by the end of 2012, there will be blu-rays at Big Lots.

What exactly is the 4th of July sale?

Originally Posted by rmw650 (Post 10834909)
Just hoping they get some better titles down the road along with some more TV shows as well. Prices are decent but the quantity and selection is the stumbling block here.

I think you really hit the nail on the head here. Not a whole lot of really great titles lately. I think 2009 was the banner year for Big Lots --- along with the WB deluge, there was also a lot of classic Warner titles. There's always something, but the it's not quite as exciting as it used to be.

Originally Posted by Manzana (Post 10834607)
With Blu-Ray prices coming down quickly, to see DVDs going up in price just seems strange to me. <b>I can barely bring myself to pay $3 for a DVD knowing the Blu-Ray is out there and will be obtainable for a few dollars more fairly soon.<i>If tomorrow Big Lots raised all of their DVD prices to $5, then I'd browse Big Lots DVDs about as often as I browse Walmart's $5 bin which is... almost never..</i></b>

However, I'm not worried. I think Big Lots will learn that their DVDs don't sell better at $5 than they did at $3, and I expect they'll be forced to lower the prices again. Now if we were talking about newer titles, $5 could be justified.

I never buy a DVD if the Blu-ray is available unless it's a 2D SE or LE ... has saved me a bunch of $$$ lately. However I don't think BL will really learn its lesson. I don't think in general people are as picky about prices as we are. If they see a movie they want, $3 or $5 is about the same to them. However, they don't buy that much in the first place and are not constantly bombarded in this forum about how the price has dropped or someone else has gotten it cheaper.

giant panda 06-28-11 09:41 PM

every 4th of july (weekend?) they have a 20% of sale on everything in the store.

BobO'Link 06-29-11 02:56 AM

^They did not do that last year. I was in 2 stores in Amarillo, TX and it was "business as usual" except for the items in the flyer.

Here's the flyer for this year:
http://specials.biglots.com/BigLots0...arge774346.jpg

I was told in the store they *do* have a F&F 20% off day coming but they didn't know the exact date yet.

MooMooMooMoo 06-29-11 03:50 AM

I've got a 20% off. Debating whether to bite on that refurb Sanyo 46 1080P LCD for $420.

Any opinions?

PopcornBandit 06-29-11 06:02 AM

Last night I picked up fro $3 each:

-Away We Go
-Mystery Men
-Balls Out: Gary the Tennis Coach
-Worst Week: The Complete Series

rmw650 06-29-11 04:40 PM

I just hope they get some more decent titles in and get rid of the old junk they currently have...two years ago was awesome for BL but as of late, nothing worth even mentioning or buying for that matter.

SethDLH 06-30-11 05:30 PM

Nothing even recently new at the Eldersburg, MD store.

Mickactual 06-30-11 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by thetao (Post 10833395)
FWIW, I've seen the Dietrich collection with the slipcover at some local grocery stores...for $12.99. At that price, you're better off with Amazon.

Same here. I just saw the Mae set tonight at a local (NJ) Shop Rite supermarket for $12.99 with slipcover. I may go with Amazon, since none of my local BL's have it. -ptth-

berigan 06-30-11 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by rdf8585 (Post 10834534)
Those W.C Fields sets are nothing short of a colossal steal at 5.... THE MAN ON THE FLYING TRAPEZE is arguably his best film and that alone is WELL worth $5. It generated more laughs for me than any of his other films and I'm a big fan of his. YOU'RE TELLING ME me is also great. The only dud in that set is POPPY.

Yeah, I didn't like Poppy either, which is funny, it was a huge hit for him in play form, and he even made a silent version in 1925....
Was really happy to find the Union City store(near Atlanta) had the W.C. V 2 set(and the Dietrich set) but none of the other stores nearby had any of the sets, except the Riverdale store, which had the John Wayne Franchise collection.

rdf8585 07-01-11 01:57 AM

Unless you're a hardcore Three Stooges fan, you probably don't know that Shemp Howard has a small role as a waiter in the Dietrich film FLAME OF NEW ORLEANS (1941). It's on the set some see at Big Lots.

hasslein 07-01-11 10:32 AM

Picked up the 2 disc Any Given Sunday... First time I had seen it...

That'sAllFolks 07-01-11 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by hasslein (Post 10838414)
Picked up the 2 disc Any Given Sunday... First time I had seen it...

it's 4.98 shipped on Amazon MP, so I hope you got it for $3 ;)

Making a BL run today so I hoping for the W.C. Fields collection ...

moklerman 07-01-11 01:48 PM

Speaking of the W.C. Fields set in particular and other titles in general, just a reminder that many of these can be found at RiteAid...at a higher price, but if you've just gotta have it, it's an option. Had a craving for a double scoop of pina colada ice cream last night and saw, for example, the W.C. Fields set for $12.99. Haven't seen it at my local BL though, admittedly, my trips have become very infrequent.

JohnnyMovie 07-01-11 11:10 PM

lots of James Bond title with 2-Disc Ultimate Edition that I pick up

- The Living Daylights (1987)
- Octopussy (1983)
- For Your Eyes Only (1981)

and so I saw new title are:

Watchmen (2009) but it FS version with slasher
See No Evil (WWE Kane starring)
Balls of Fury
The Punisher (2004) with theatrical version
and more I can't recall title.

Mysteryfan 07-02-11 09:26 AM

2 weeks ago I picked up Prime Suspect series 1 for $3. I noticed today that Amazon has this up for pre-order for $22.99. It's the same UPC code.

Quatermass 07-02-11 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mysteryfan (Post 10839537)
2 weeks ago I picked up Prime Suspect series 1 for $3. I noticed today that Amazon has this up for pre-order for $22.99. It's the same UPC code.

That's a good show and a great find. I wish they would get that at my BigLots. I've got it on homemade VHS. I saw the preview for the American version this fall starring Maria Bello - looks like just another effin' cop show.