Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Amazon DOTD: Thriller Complete Series: $55.99

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-10, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon DOTD: Thriller Complete Series: $55.99

With deepdiscount's sale at ~$75 and now this so soon after release, normally I would think it would continue to fall or else there is some other better release imminent. Or maybe they realized the original msrp was too high?
Old 10-17-10, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Since I bit just now, I'm sure it will be on sale for $35 or less by year's end.
Why didn't you post this info BEFORE I ordered one earlier?!
Old 10-17-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know I could be wrong, but I don't think it will go much lower than this for now- 14 discs for $35? This is a tie in sale with Halloween of course.
Old 10-17-10, 06:56 PM

Is this show very good? Has it ever been released on dvd in the past? If it is that good of a show then id have to wonder why it was not available before because the dvd format has been around for a pretty long time now.
Old 10-17-10, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Fromundacheese
Is this show very good? Has it ever been released on dvd in the past? If it is that good of a show then id have to wonder why it was not available before because the dvd format has been around for a pretty long time now.
There are three possible reasons the show hasn't been released before now: trouble securing rights clearances; trouble getting acceptable quality prints; or a perceived lack of public interest. I suspect all three played a part.

There's just not that much of an interest in early network television. Even very popular shows such as Alfred Hitchcock and Perry Mason have had less than half the episodes released on DVD. The major studios don't want to take a chance with lesser known shows and will license them out to companies like Shout Factory, Image, and Timeless Media who then have to go out and find acceptable quality prints of the entire series (or at the minimum a substantial number of episodes). So it's very hit or miss with these early series.

Thriller is an anthology with a considerable variation in quality. Early in its run, it tried to duplicate Hitchcock as more of a straightforward crime suspense anthology, but without the Hitchcock tongue in cheek. Those episodes aren't that effective, but once they started to turn more towards horror and to pattern themselves more after the Twilight Zone, the episodes picked up.
Old 10-17-10, 07:35 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

There are still hundreds, probably thousands, of good films and TV shows never released on any kind of home video.
Old 10-17-10, 07:43 PM
Banned

Just placed my order! Did anyone order this today while it was still in stock?
Old 10-17-10, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are still hundreds, probably thousands, of good films and TV shows never released on any kind of home video.
[COUGH]Journeyman[/COUGH]
Old 10-17-10, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mgdeals
With deepdiscount's sale at ~$75 and now this so soon after release, normally I would think it would continue to fall or else there is some other better release imminent.
This was just released on August 31st so there is no "better release imminent". As others have mentioned, it's just a great deal for Halloween. At under $1 per episode I think it's too good to pass up. I'm in for one.
Old 10-17-10, 10:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Happy to get this at such a good price. Glad I missed out on previous sales.

Thanks.
Old 10-18-10, 12:07 AM

Thanks for posting! I almost bit when it was ~$80 but at this price point it was a no-brainer for me.
Old 10-18-10, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Yup, and The African Queen is a good movie too

EDIT: ...and look how long we waited for that to come out

Last edited by davidh777; 10-18-10 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-18-10, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777
Yup, and The African Queen is a good movie too
Um, The African Queen has been out for a while on DVD and Blu-Ray

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+Queen&x=0&y=0
Old 10-18-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by movieman35
Um, The African Queen has been out for a while on DVD and Blu-Ray

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+Queen&x=0&y=0
I consider March 2010 a big delay for a movie of this stature
Old 10-18-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Truth is if my finances were better I would have bit on this one, but right now I just can't justify the $60+ with sales tax for something I recently watched.
Old 10-18-10, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Cancelled my never received DD order and ordered from Amazon.
Had to call to cancel as the on line cancel at DD almost never works.
Old 10-18-10, 04:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Classic Films
Had to call to cancel as the on line cancel at DD almost never works.
Man are you absolutely right on this point! I'm to the point where I hardly ever order from them anymore as most stuff is on backorder and that can take months to get in and when items do ship it takes over 3 weeks to get them!!! Its just not worth the aggravation anymore. I would rather spend a few more $ and get my items much faster. Sorry for the rant-
Old 10-18-10, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Since I bit just now, I'm sure it will be on sale for $35 or less by year's end.
You read my mind! It seems like everything I pick up at a "bargain" these days drops in price exponentially just as soon as it's too late for me to make a return. Ordered one anyway.
Old 10-18-10, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by smurr05
Man are you absolutely right on this point! I'm to the point where I hardly ever order from them anymore as most stuff is on backorder and that can take months to get in and when items do ship it takes over 3 weeks to get them!!! Its just not worth the aggravation anymore. I would rather spend a few more $ and get my items much faster. Sorry for the rant-
I also agree.
Old 10-19-10, 05:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ordered mine shortly after it started, and it's already shipped.
Old 10-19-10, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Add me to the list of those who canceled their long-awaited DD Thriller and ordered yesterday for $19 cheaper. No brainer.
Old 10-19-10, 04:00 PM
Defunct Account

Here's the DVDTalk review. Stuart raves about it:

Thriller review
Old 10-19-10, 06:34 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by bdots48
Add me to the list of those who canceled their long-awaited DD Thriller and ordered yesterday for $19 cheaper. No brainer.
I as well.
Old 10-19-10, 09:22 PM

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

DammiT! I missed it! I want this set so bad & I've never seen an episode! Looks like it's right up my alley though!
Old 10-19-10, 11:07 PM

The Veil, another Karloff introduced TV series, recently dropped from $15 to $7.50 on Amazon.

From Amazon reviewer Michael R Gates:

Although superficial similarities make it tempting to regard the Hal Roach Studios ten-episode series pilot THE VEIL as a sort of trial run for the later TV series THRILLER (a.k.a. BORIS KARLOFF'S THRILLER), that is really an inaccurate and unfair comparison. It's true that both shows are hosted by venerable horror star Boris Karloff and that he appears in several of the dramatizations--in fact, he appears in all but one dramatization on THE VEIL--and it's also true that both series deal with the supernatural. But unlike the stories presented on THRILLER--which are completely fictional horror stories, many based on previously published works by popular horror and science writers of the 1950s and early 1960s such as Robert E. Howard, Robert Bloch, August Derleth, Cornell Woolrich, and the like--the stories on THE VEIL are presented as "true" stories about real people who have had a brush with supernatural phenomenon like ghosts, reincarnation, psychic prognostication, and similar spooky irregularities. But true or not, the stories on THE VEIL are, of course, purely dramatic "reenactments" with no scholarly research or backup information provided to the audience, and it is therefore more accurate to see THE VEIL as a precursor to the more contemporary THE X FILES rather than as a dress rehearsal for THRILLER.

That said, THE VEIL is certainly an entertaining anomaly from television's golden era, and its high-quality production values makes one wonder why it wasn't picked up as a regular series. In fact, the show per se was never broadcast. However, in the late 1960s, 10 years or so after the original production, blocks of three or four episodes each were hastily stitched together--ironically, much like the Frankenstein monster character that originally made host Boris Karloff a star--and licensed to local TV stations for broadcast as movies on late-night TV. So this two-disc DVD from Something Weird video is likely the first time THE VEIL has been made available to the general public in the show's original 10-episode format, and Karloff fans, horror fans, fans of THE X FILES, and, yes, even fans of THRILLER should find the show very enjoyable, and most will want to add it to their DVD collections.

Whether due to restoration or just because the source material was rarely used, the picture and sound quality on the DVD set is just fantastic! The liner notes include a synopsis of each episode, as well as some interesting historical background material about the show. Bonus materials on the discs themselves include a few episodes of 13 DEMON STREET, a foreign-produced TV show in the same vein as THE VEIL and from the same era. That show was hosted by Lon Chaney, Jr., and the production quality is obviously not as high as that of THE VEIL. Indeed, the source used for the DVD transfer is washed and sometimes jittery, but the episodes are, if nothing else, interesting for their historical value.

This DVD set is a must-own for Karloff fans and for those who have a strong interest in or love for classic television. Fans of more contemporary shows like THE X FILES and MILLENNIUM may also enjoy THE VEIL, especially in light of the fact that shows like this are the true progenitors of the modern fare.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.