(DEAD) Criterion Sale? Ever Again?

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) Criterion Sale? Ever Again?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-10, 04:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Criterion Sale? Ever Again? (NOW ACTIVE/ALIVE AT B&N)

Just got shot down trying to use one $5 off $20 coupon at a BN in San Diego (Santee location). I only had one coupon (7/25 expiration) and The Leopard blu-ray, which would easily be over $20 after membership discount. The clueless clerk looked at a sign posted behind the counter---obviously flagging any coupons being used for Criterions---and politely asked if he could call the manager over because he had a note there telling him he had to. No problem, I replied. So, the humorless manager comes over, looks at the coupon from a distance and flat out says, "We no longer accept these coupons for Criterion titles." I asked her very politely, why only Criterions since the coupon didn't seem to have any restrictions? She sternly replied, "We're just not." So, with the awkward silence that came next, I simply said, "Ok then," took back the coupon and walked away without purchasing anything. I don't even live in San Diego, and was just there because of Comic Con and to visit family. Wanted to get one purchase in before that coupon expired. That store must have been hit hard by multiple coupon purchases even though their blu-ray and dvd stock of Criterions was really extensive. Oh well.
Old 07-25-10, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jfunk1
Just got shot down trying to use one $5 off $20 coupon at a BN in San Diego (Santee location). I only had one coupon (7/25 expiration) and The Leopard blu-ray, which would easily be over $20 after membership discount. The clueless clerk looked at a sign posted behind the counter---obviously flagging any coupons being used for Criterions---and politely asked if he could call the manager over because he had a note there telling him he had to. No problem, I replied. So, the humorless manager comes over, looks at the coupon from a distance and flat out says, "We no longer accept these coupons for Criterion titles." I asked her very politely, why only Criterions since the coupon didn't seem to have any restrictions? She sternly replied, "We're just not." So, with the awkward silence that came next, I simply said, "Ok then," took back the coupon and walked away without purchasing anything. I don't even live in San Diego, and was just there because of Comic Con and to visit family. Wanted to get one purchase in before that coupon expired. That store must have been hit hard by multiple coupon purchases even though their blu-ray and dvd stock of Criterions was really extensive. Oh well.
You should have gone to the Mira Mesa store. I've always had great luck with the coupons.
Old 07-25-10, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

you can probably thank the greedy numbnuts in this thread and elsewhere who go in with 20 of them and ask for 20 separate transactions and a $100 off in one stop. Only reason they would go to that extreme is that someone was abusing them.
Old 07-25-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Wasn't planning on making a trip today but I passed a B&N how could I resist. Once again zero problems using the $5 coupon, really surprised people are having so much trouble.

I wanted to get more Kurosawa films, but I have a suspicion many of them will be announced in the not-so-distant future for Blu-ray. Still tempting though. If I could have picked up titles in store I would have gone ahead and purchased them anyway.
Old 07-25-10, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

...asked if he could call the manager over because he had a note there telling him he had to...
Although at my local store they allowed a 20% off coupon the clerk had to call the manager first who just eyeballed the situation and approved, maybe this is a new protocol. The clerk casually called the manager and said "I have a coupon on a Criterion" so it seemed like they had done it before. If they've blocked coupons online it seems that b&m can't be too far behind especially on such a good deal regardless of coupon misuse or not.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 07-25-10 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-25-10, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GenPion
I wanted to get more Kurosawa films, but I have a suspicion many of them will be announced in the not-so-distant future for Blu-ray. Still tempting though.
I doubt his lesser films like Drunken Angel will see a Blu-Ray release anytime soon if ever, for $13 I'll gladly take the chance, plus his 1:33 films I'm perfectly happy with the DVD transfers. I saw you got the Rohmer Box Set, great buy that is one of my absolute favorite box sets I own, Claire's Knee is my favorite film in the set, I find them all highly rewatchable.

The best part of this sale though, is on the blind-buys I've been able to ebay every single one I didn't like & get way more than I paid for it.
Old 07-25-10, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by brizz
you can probably thank the greedy numbnuts in this thread and elsewhere who go in with 20 of them and ask for 20 separate transactions and a $100 off in one stop. Only reason they would go to that extreme is that someone was abusing them.
Greedy and stupid--the key to exploiting these coupons is to be inconspicuous, use no more than 2 at a time, and acquire DVDs and Blu-Rays in several visits, staggered at different times of the day during the week. Going in armed with 20 coupons and a sense of entitlement is just begging the company to crack down on their use.

Last edited by Gobear; 07-25-10 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-25-10, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

^ Exactly. Stay under the radar. All of the points you made are strategies that worked for me. Two at a time, different stores (5 to be exact), and always try to get a new face behind the register. I'm 21/21 on coups.
Old 07-25-10, 06:41 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went on the 20th and got:

Repulsion
Stagecoach
Yojimbo & Sanjuro
Che
8 1/2
Gomorrah
M
Kagemusha
Days of Heaven
Vivre Sa Vie
Old 07-25-10, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
Greedy and stupid--the key to exploiting these coupons is to be inconspicuous, use no more than 2 at a time, and acquire DVDs and Blu-Rays in several visits, staggered at different times of the day during the week. Going in armed with 20 coupons and a sense of entitlement is just begging the company to crack down on their use.
precisely...they know me by now and I've used *over* 20 coupons in this sale alone and never been even blinked at. I realized I had one of the 7/25 $5 coupons printed still so I figured might as well use it...picked up Fugitive Kind and the manager was even there and ended up ringing me up and said "great coupon! what a good deal...enjoy!" happy as can be that a customer was happy.

Now how do you think she would have responded if I handed her a stack of blu rays and 10 coupons? probably not the same. Thereby, in two weeks i've picked almost 30 discs - every single one with a coupon - and had zero problems along the way. the last dozen are all pure weakness as I never intended this many, but oh well....they are happy to have me as a loyal customer who keeps coming back for more.
Old 07-25-10, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree about staying under the radar and limiting the titles for each visit. However, in defense of some of those horrible people that dare attempt to buy more than 2 titles per visit, not everyone lives next door to a B&N and multiple trips to the store just isn't feasible. As long as people don't act like jackasses if they get gunned down on the coupon, then I don't have a problem if someone wants to attempt a big score.
Old 07-25-10, 10:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PaprikaDjango
Also does anyone have any advice on whether to get the Shimizu Eclipse set first or the Mizoguchi?
I recommend Mizoguchi's Fallen Women, but you should take into account that I am a Mizoguchi fan. Osaka Elegy and Sisters of the Gion are like pre-code Warner Brothers movies. Street of Shame is one of Mizoguchi's greatest films, and Women of the Night is a variation on the same theme.

I had never heard of Hiroshi Shimizu before this release. Japanese Girls at the Harbor was a predictable drama with a few interesting glimpses of Yokohama. Mr. Thank You , The Masseurs and a Woman and Ornamental Hairpin are generally light and cheerful. There is some interesting location shooting, but I found the lack of sync-sound in Mr. Thank You kind of off-putting, although I found the movie quite charming.

In sum, I think Shimizu is well worth seeing, and Mizoguchi is essential. The Eclipse sets are a fantastic bargain in this sale.
Old 07-25-10, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Camel
I know I've read all posts on this thread, but has anyone actually claimed to walk in with 20 coupons at the same time? I don't recall reading someone doing that...
Let's not blame the consumer for a company refusing to honor it's coupons. "Greed" isn't someone spluring on a sale item they otherwise couldn't afford. It's a large retail stores with higher than normal prices and managers who don't just deny coupons but getting unprofessional when doing so.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 07-25-10 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-25-10, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My haul so far:

Stagecoach
The Red Desert
The Red Shoes
Sanjuro/Yojimbo
8 1/2
Man Who Fell to Earth
The Friends of Eddie Coyle
Ride with the Devil
Kagemusha
Black Narcissus
Bottle Rocket
Army of Shadows
Paris, Texas

I think I'm done...
Old 07-25-10, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Bigmack3000
Anyone with a chase card. There is a 25% in-store coupon. I haven't found it online. I only know because the cashier asked if I had a chase card and then pulled it out.
i havent seen a 25% chase coupon (i have multiple chase cards), but i have received a physical 15% off one item, discover card coupon.

anyone have any info on a 25% chase coupon?
Old 07-26-10, 12:20 AM

Really enjoyed Harakiri; excellent first time viewing, really tense and rich, will have to see how it'll hold up on subsequent viewings. Well worth it.

Everyone's buying Red Shoes blu... but just take it back and get Harakiri instead.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 07-26-10 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-26-10, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Lady Vanishes seems to be vanishing off shelves quickly. Only was available in a couple of NYC stores and then one place I was at couldn't guarantee restocking before end of sale.
Here I'd say that the coupons are being accepted a little easier compared to first week.
Old 07-26-10, 09:45 AM
Duplicate accounts are verboten

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
You should have gone to the Mira Mesa store. I've always had great luck with the coupons.
..you are correct laser, i have made 4 trips to the mira mesa store and used the $5 coupon each time..
i got

revanche
gomorrah
le cercle rouge
rififi
Old 07-26-10, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Really enjoyed Harakiri; excellent first time viewing, really tense and rich, will have to see how it'll hold up on subsequent viewings. Well worth it.

Everyone's buying Red Shoes blu... but just take it back and get Harakiri instead.
Really? I fell asleep half way through Harakiri. Much rather watch the Red Shoes again.
Old 07-26-10, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Let's not blame the consumer for a company refusing to honor it's coupons.
Huh? The coupons say one per customer.
Old 07-26-10, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by illennium
Huh? The coupons say one per customer.
Never lets facts get in the way of indignation.
Old 07-26-10, 10:45 AM
Cool New Member

I got freaky and bought a whole bunch:

Bigger Than Life
Days of Heaven
Sisters
Make Way For Tomorrow

I also got the new Black Narcissus & Red Shoes. Black Narcissus one of my all-time faves and it looks so amazing. I got a little misty watching it.

I considered buying the now OOP "Man Who Fell To Earth" set, but....eh....not that crazy about the film, so I let it slide.
Old 07-26-10, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

If you liked Harakiri, then I'd highly recommend Samurai Rebellion. It's from the same director and has a similar structure of taut drama that builds up to an intense, action-packed climax.
Old 07-26-10, 12:34 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Thank you Lasermovies for updating the link to the coupons. They currently expire September 26 instead of July 25. I pretty much got all I want and am going on vacation on Wednesday but still its nice to have the valid coupon in case I see something I want.
Old 07-26-10, 01:08 PM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

In the Realm of the Senses
Black Narcissus
Wages of Fear
El Norte
Revanche
Stagecoach
Ride with the Devil
Night and Fog

am done...used 3 $5 coupons...didn't push it on the others.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.