(DEAD) Criterion Sale? Ever Again?

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) Criterion Sale? Ever Again?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-10, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Criterion Sale? Ever Again? (NOW ACTIVE/ALIVE AT B&N)

Sorry if this has been posted before but when does this sale end? Is it just a week long?
Old 07-17-10, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDuke
Sorry if this has been posted before but when does this sale end? Is it just a week long?
According to an e-mail that I received from Criterion themselves, the sale at B&N runs through August 1.
Old 07-17-10, 10:40 PM

Well before today my adds were:
Sullivan's Travels, The Last Emperor, Stagecoach. My girlfriend had agreed to let me purchase one more (we're moving in 2 weeks so had to save money) so I planned to get Seven Samurai. She told me to pick up a few more. Left with Seven Samurai, The Lady Eve, Dazed & Confused, My Man Godfrey, M, and The Day The Earth Stood Still (Fox Studio Classic). Also got a B&N membership. She's the best!
Old 07-17-10, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Hendersonfan
Well before today my adds were:
Sullivan's Travels, The Last Emperor, Stagecoach. My girlfriend had agreed to let me purchase one more (we're moving in 2 weeks so had to save money) so I planned to get Seven Samurai. She told me to pick up a few more. Left with Seven Samurai, The Lady Eve, Dazed & Confused, My Man Godfrey, M, and The Day The Earth Stood Still (Fox Studio Classic). Also got a B&N membership. She's the best!
I wanted to get Seven Samurai, but I heard a BD release is coming. That means there's probably a new DVD release along side, too, for folks like me.
Old 07-17-10, 11:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RequiemX
I wanted to get Seven Samurai, but I heard a BD release is coming. That means there's probably a new DVD release along side, too, for folks like me.
The Seven Samurai DVD remaster just came out a year or two ago, so I wouldn't be holding my breath for yet a third go-around. If DVD is your format, you might as well grab the current version.
Old 07-17-10, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
The Seven Samurai DVD remaster just came out a year or two ago, so I wouldn't be holding my breath for yet a third go-around. If DVD is your format, you might as well grab the current version.
Don't really expect a remaster (current one is quite good!). But I do expect a repackaging to match the BD release. Perhaps another extra.
Old 07-17-10, 11:58 PM

Seven Samurai blu is coming on October 19.
Old 07-18-10, 12:17 AM

Picked up the BD for Fritz Lang's M for myself and my mother bought Grey Gardens DVD.

Assuming I like M, I may get Seventh Seal and 8 1/2 next perhaps.
Old 07-18-10, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaSokolov
Picked up the BD for Fritz Lang's M for myself and my mother bought Grey Gardens DVD.

Assuming I like M, I may get Seventh Seal and 8 1/2 next perhaps.
Seventh Seal is definitely in my top 5 of all time. The recent remaster that Criterion did is breathtaking. A must-buy, IMO.
Old 07-18-10, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not a huge Criterion collector but I did pick up Bottle Rocket on blu-ray.
Old 07-18-10, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble....linkid=1605498

Just so folks have the link!
Old 07-18-10, 09:07 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Do you know if they will accept coupons for ship to store?
Well, there are multiple ways to define "ship to store". You can just have them order a title to the store, and it is no different from them making any order to replenish stock, except that they hold the item for you. You don't actually purchase the item unless you go back and pick it up, they hold it for a week iirc.

They also have an actual "ship to store" buying process, where they make up an official order with you and you actaully pay for it up front, iirc.

Coupons are possible both ways, YMMV.
Old 07-18-10, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by RequiemX
Don't really expect a remaster (current one is quite good!). But I do expect a repackaging to match the BD release. Perhaps another extra.
Seven Samurai has already been announced by Criterion. You can find the details on their website HERE.

It appears they'll be "matching" the Blu-Ray to the latest DVD release.
I'll agree with mdnitoil and recommend buying the current version.
Old 07-18-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri
You are presuming that people are buying only Blu-ray.

Here's the full list: CC Sale
Old 07-18-10, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by brizz
That's not what I said at all - and none of those reasons have anything to do with why Blu-Ray exists or why Criterion is producing films on the format. They are producing them to provide customers with the best possible presentation. That doesn't make those other reasons less valid for you, but it has nothing to do with what Criterion is doing or why they are doing it.
Why BD exists and why Criterion is producing films in it have nothing to do with anything I said or would ever even think about. Your continual comments on it suggests an obsession.
You are being defensive and argumentative and suggesting things I never said. Of course people can enjoy movies on small tvs - but that has zero to do with advances in formats and buying films on blu ray. you would be stupid to buy blu rays if you didn't have the equipment to enjoy them...but I've never suggested you need to have that TO enjoy the films. those are completely separate issues.
Of course I was defensive! You called my opinions "not worth discussing" and "hardly worth addressing". And if that wasn't enough you "suggested" that I didn't love films but just collecting. I thought I was pretty calm considering. Your comments that those words were not meant as insults are nice to hear, thank you, but you can hardly blame me for being defensive. Universally, "hardly worth discussing" is an insult. I just polled some co-workers to make sure I wasn't crazy, and they all agree that it is an insult.
I was merely responding to your suggestion that blu ray was somehow unnecessary and in cases inferior releases because they didn't have the complete books that came with sDVDs. that's ludicrous.
Wait, which one of us is suggesting things the other said? I never said the above. Again, all I said was that I wish they carried over all the supplements.

Sort of like saying, I wish that sandwich had more bacon.

Please don't write 200 word responses on why I should eat less bacon.
Joe Sixpack doesn't know the difference between BD and DVD, and they certainly don't shop for Criterion films. JSP wants his screen filled whether it's 4:3 or 1.85:1...and now wants "widescreen" dvds of Miracle on 34th street. In short, he has nothing to do with this discussion, as neither of us certainly have much in common with him when it comes to films.
My point had nothing to do with we Criterion shoppers, I was just making a comment that most BD owners probably have their set-ups not configured for viewing much better than upconverted DVD, imo based on articles I've read and seeing it first hand.
Old 07-18-10, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Does anyone else anticipate a shortage of Red Shoes and Black Narcissus on Tuesday?

The stores seem to get one or two copies of each title, and I don't think they are anticipating the demand. Both are currently #1 and #2 on the B&N Blu-ray list, and #9 and #10 on the DVD list.
Old 07-18-10, 09:55 AM

Does anyone else anticipate a shortage of Red Shoes and Black Narcissus on Tuesday?

The stores seem to get one or two copies of each title, and I don't think they are anticipating the demand. Both are currently #1 and #2 on the B&N Blu-ray list, and #9 and #10 on the DVD list.
Nice catch. I'm going to call Monday night or Tuesday morning and ask them to hold them for me.
Old 07-18-10, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

Wow. It was quite interesting to look at the full list of Blu-ray current bestsellers on their website. You have to go down to #47 before you find a non-Criterion title (#47 is Avatar, by the way). I guess B&N is selling a lot of these titles online even without the coupons.
Old 07-18-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just noticed today is the last day to use that 15% off coupon. I think I'll try and grab Hunger and M sometime today.
Old 07-18-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Just noticed today is the last day to use that 15% off coupon. I think I'll try and grab Hunger and M sometime today.
Nuts! I was counting on using one of those Tuesday and stacking it with the others since I can't find a clerk that will let me use the $5 off $20 ones.

This sale has been frustrating for me this year. Even though $18 is still a great price for the $40 titles, the extra 10% coupon discount gets essentially eaten by what I have to pay in tax and it's only good on the one disc.

Didn't really feel like running out today, but maybe I'll use it to pick up 8 1/2 and Man Who Fell To Earth.
Old 07-18-10, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I was debating on using it on Berlin Alexanderplatz. I thought I bought it last year, but can't find it anywhere. Definitely not a title I want to buy twice...
Old 07-18-10, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

I know this is a bit off topic, but I'm having problems with the Yojimbo Blu-ray. It keeps freezing at about the 1:13 mark. I did a system update to my PS3 and have looked over the disc (the surface looks perfect). Anyone else have any similar problems? I'm trying to decide what I should do with it. Send it back to through the website, take it to a store and try to exchange it? Maybe contact Criterion? I don't know, but it definitely isn't working.
Old 07-18-10, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Camel
You may be better off renting it first if you haven't seen it. Its a challenging miniseries to watch. I've only been able to make it thru the first 3 episodes. May give it another shot a few months from now...
Too late for that. I own close to 500 of them, no way I'm stopping now.

But thanks, I imagine it will tough for me too. But so far, I've greatly enjoyed every release I've watched.
Old 07-18-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Camel
You may be better off renting it first if you haven't seen it. Its a challenging miniseries to watch. I've only been able to make it thru the first 3 episodes. May give it another shot a few months from now...
I agree, but I know it has its fans. I blind-bought during the previous sale & ended up ebaying it (got more than I payed for it). I just couldn't get into it & definitely never would watch it again so it wasn't worth owning.
Old 07-18-10, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I agree, but I know it has its fans. I blind-bought during the previous sale & ended up ebaying it (got more than I payed for it). I just couldn't get into it & definitely never would watch it again so it wasn't worth owning.
For those who need a little help with their purchases, I created a Criterion excel spreadsheet which includes Ebert's Greatest Film picks, Leonard Maltin's 4 rating and the Criterion Top 10 selection. It's also cell phone friendly (if your cell phone can view excel documents). Hope it helps.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.