DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   (DEAD) Criterion Sale? Ever Again? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/572785-dead-criterion-sale-ever-again.html)

Dining Dead 04-23-10 01:15 PM

(DEAD) Criterion Sale? Ever Again?

So I guess it's safe to say that Barnes & Noble will not be having a Criterion sale this spring as previously rumored. Anyone heard anything otherwise?

If I were betting, I'd say that there probably won't be another Criterion sale anytime in the near future given B&N's financial woes.

Thoughts?

Trevor 04-23-10 01:21 PM

re: Criterion Sale? Ever Again? (NOW ACTIVE/ALIVE AT B&N)

When were last years? May and November?

Laser Movies 04-23-10 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10121720)
When were last years? May and November?

July and November last year. If they were to continue the sales again this year it would be nice if they moved the first sale up to May to give them more equal spacing.

Here's the links to sales from last year.

50% of Criterion @ Barnes & Noble - 7/14

Criterion DVD's and Blu-Rays 50% off at Barnes and Noble 11/10

clappj 04-23-10 01:25 PM

No.
Never, ever again.

Trevor 04-23-10 01:27 PM

I'm out of space and currently doing massive reorganizing. I vote for July and November again. ;)

I think the OP is a little too gloomy, giving up on the sale already. If August 2nd comes and there is no sale, then I'll moan and complain.

And I doubt B&N lost money on the sales.

Laser Movies 04-23-10 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10121727)

And I doubt B&N lost money on the sales.

Obviously they were very popular since B&N had two 50% sales within 4 months. I just hope they continue to issue the $5 coupons and allow them on any future sales.

illennium 04-23-10 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10121727)
I'm out of space and currently doing massive reorganizing. I vote for July and November again. ;)

I vote for May and November. I'll be in San Francisco for the whole summer, which apparently only has one Barnes & Noble. As silly as this sounds, it's one of the main reasons I regret going out there. :lol:

beebs 04-23-10 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by illennium (Post 10121774)
I vote for May and November. I'll be in San Francisco for the whole summer, which apparently only has one Barnes & Noble. As silly as this sounds, it's one of the main reasons I regret going out there. :lol:

It does have plenty of Fry's, though.

illennium 04-23-10 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by beebs (Post 10121870)
It does have plenty of Fry's, though.

None within the city though, and I don't own a car.

Fry's is a good store though. I remember I used to go there sometimes when I lived in L.A.

BuckNaked2k 04-23-10 03:17 PM

Uh, oh....I hope this thread doesn't become like the dreaded "when's the next DD 20% off sale?" threads. :p

I was just in a B&N a few hours ago, and was going to ask this very question of the guy who calls me "Mr. Criterion", but he wasn't there.

I would be happy with a May, June, or July sale. I've got my wish list, and it's ready to go!

Bob Bunny 04-23-10 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k (Post 10121932)
I would be happy with a May, June, or July sale. I've got my wish list, and it's ready to go!

Mine is ready too, and it keeps getting longer with each new announcement from Criterion. I'm waiting....:)

hindolio 04-23-10 11:18 PM

i wouldnt be surprised if a decent cc sale went to a different retailer. a couple of years ago, it was dd that had a nice sale. last year, it was b&n. amazon even partook kinda. maybe this year, dvdempire will come through? :D

Trevor 04-24-10 11:42 AM

Yeah, but none of those other sales were nearly as good as B&N. 50% off every title, plus another 10% off, plus another 20% or 15% or $5 off. It killed my wallet both times.

illennium 04-24-10 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10123000)
Yeah, but none of those other sales were nearly as good as B&N. 50% off every title, plus another 10% off, plus another 20% or 15% or $5 off. It killed my wallet both times.

When DD had their B1G1 sale, I'm pretty sure higher-tier Criterions were priced at $32.xx, putting each title at $16.xx all-in. At B&N, they come to $14.xx with tax (YMMV on that), which is a little better, but it's not always a smooth experience. Sometimes I had to argue with the cashier, sometimes I got shut down by a manager, and I was never able to use more than 2-3 coupons at a time at any of the 10+ stores I went to. Oh and not one store even wanted to deal with the stacking $5/$5/$5 coupon, even though it's totally legit. There's just a lot of YMMV to the whole thing and a big gap between the theory of what should legitimately happen, and the practice of what actually does. If DD had that B1G1 sale again, I'd clear out my entire 30+ title wishlist and skip B&N completely.

Pizza 04-24-10 07:03 PM

I was happy just getting the half off. No one took much interest in the blu-ray titles around here so I found some good stuff. Ah, it would be nice to see it again. I don't think anyone topped Trevor at the haul he got.

Trevor 04-24-10 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by illennium (Post 10123383)
When DD had their B1G1 sale, I'm pretty sure higher-tier Criterions were priced at $32.xx, putting each title at $16.xx all-in. At B&N, they come to $14.xx with tax (YMMV on that), which is a little better, but it's not always a smooth experience. Sometimes I had to argue with the cashier, sometimes I got shut down by a manager, and I was never able to use more than 2-3 coupons at a time at any of the 10+ stores I went to. Oh and not one store even wanted to deal with the stacking $5/$5/$5 coupon, even though it's totally legit. There's just a lot of YMMV to the whole thing and a big gap between the theory of what should legitimately happen, and the practice of what actually does. If DD had that B1G1 sale again, I'd clear out my entire 30+ title wishlist and skip B&N completely.

Yep, using multiple coupons is often a pain. But I'm lucky enough to have 7 or so B&Ns within 15 miles of me, so I usually just used one at a time and slowly built up my collection as I drove near locations in my normal commutes.

I did get lucky and was able to use one of each current coupon in one transaction several times, but I never expected it. One title for 50% off, plus membership 10%, plus one coupon was good enough for me. Unfortunately dozens and dozens of times.....

My collection is more than half complete now, so I pretty much have to complete it now I guess.

Backlog 04-25-10 02:03 PM

I'm eagerly awaiting this sale to return so I can pick up Gomorrah and Paris, Texas. I've been holding off on both for this purpose, but Paris, Texas tempts me so.

Toddarino 04-25-10 02:47 PM

I'm waiting on Paris, Texas and Che for the same reason.

mnementh 04-25-10 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by illennium (Post 10121887)
None within the city though, and I don't own a car.

If you leave the city limits, you'll find plenty more Barnes & Noble stores. San Francisco is the only city I know that has a Borders three blocks away from another Borders.

VicVega 04-25-10 08:06 PM

A friend of mine works at Barnes and I had him ask the head of the dvd department at his store. The guy told him that they would probably be having it again but it would most likely be in July.

Trevor 04-25-10 08:44 PM

^ Awesome. Gives me time to get my collection organized hopefully.

NoirFan 04-25-10 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by VicVega
The guy told him that they would probably be having it again but it would most likely be in July.

Hopefully through July 20th so I can get my eager little hands on The Red Shoes!

illennium 04-25-10 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by mnementh (Post 10124292)
If you leave the city limits, you'll find plenty more Barnes & Noble stores. San Francisco is the only city I know that has a Borders three blocks away from another Borders.

Well, like I said, I don't have a car, but if the sale does happen in July, I'm sure I'll figure out some public-transit options for getting to a couple of those stores.

RequiemX 04-25-10 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 10124702)
Hopefully through July 20th so I can get my eager little hands on The Red Shoes!

I didn't even see that they're re-releasing some Powell/Pressberger!

I'll certainly be picking-up The Red Shoes (don't have it yet), and probably get the Black Narcissus reissue.

Trevor 04-25-10 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by SethDLH (Post 10124901)
Spam is awesome.

Our quotes of his posts will be the only record of his brief membership here.