Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) Criterion Sale? Ever Again?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-10, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
re: Criterion Sale? Ever Again? (NOW ACTIVE/ALIVE AT B&N)

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Not even one coupon per visit? What is the basis for their denial? I can understand disallowing multiple coupons, but that is unacceptable.
That store claimed the Criterion sale is not a "sale" but a "temporary price reduction" so the original (albiet temporarily reduced) price before discounts is less than $20 (in regards to -$5 for items orginally priced over $20) therefore the coupon is not applicable. I'm told they consulted the corporate office for this strategy. The manager seemed to consider allowing the coupon but eventually decided it was already a great deal on a high priced item so she couldn't reduce further due to need for profit from mark-up.

Curiously I wonder what the wholesale/dealer price (or other distribution agreement) Barnes & Nobles pays Criterion for the stock is.
Old 07-09-10, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
That store claimed the Criterion sale is not a "sale" but a "temporary price reduction" so the original (albiet temporarily reduced) price before discounts is less than $20 (in regards to -$5 for items orginally priced over $20) therefore the coupon is not applicable. I'm told they consulted the corporate office for this strategy. The manager seemed to consider allowing the coupon but eventually decided it was already a great deal on a high priced item so she couldn't reduce further due to need for profit from mark-up.

Curiously I wonder what the wholesale/dealer price (or other distribution agreement) Barnes & Nobles pays Criterion for the stock is.
And that is not the definition of discount how? lolol

Coupon language: "Selling Price is the price at the register before taxes and discounts, including the standard Member discount, are applied."

Last edited by BambooLounge; 07-09-10 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-09-10, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I say, if the corporate point-of-sale information system accepts the coupon when scanned, it's valid. Bunch of GD lawyers running registers over there....
Old 07-09-10, 02:11 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
And that is not the definition of discount how? lolol

Coupon language: "Selling Price is the price at the register before taxes and discounts, including the standard Member discount, are applied."
Exactly. Just what are these multiple discounts the coupons mention? If they aren't the various sales they have in the store, then what the heck are they?

I can see them denying the coupon on the $19.99 msrp titles, but even on them I was usually successful.
Old 07-09-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Funny thing happened in BN today. Went in to buy a membership for the sale and as I filled out my info, the very helpful and informative cashier detailed for me exactly how with the membership I get 10% off and can stack membership coupons on top of in-store sales.

She was even told me to make sure I put down my phone number so friends and family could give it to a cahsier in order to get my membership discount without me.

Of course, this BN has no movie section and I doubt I will find anyone as nice once the sale starts, but we'll see, I got one really cool cashier during the last one.
Old 07-09-10, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

So, what was that phone number again?
Old 07-09-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It must be all about who is at the register. I went to this one a couple of times and used the coupon. Now during the last sale I had a bad story at the Brodie store. They wouldn't let me use the coupon multiple times and pretty much told me not to come back with it, although I did. I have pretty much resigned myself not to even try and use multiple coupons in one visit at this point.
Old 07-09-10, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Went in to buy a membership for the sale
So, it's not too late to join and get the $5 coupons in time for the Criterion sale?
Old 07-09-10, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by jwstl
So, it's not too late to join and get the $5 coupons in time for the Criterion sale?
No. If you join by August 25th you get the $5/$5/$5 coupons that are good until September 26th.
Old 07-09-10, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Funny thing happened in BN today. Went in to buy a membership for the sale and as I filled out my info, the very helpful and informative cashier detailed for me exactly how with the membership I get 10% off and can stack membership coupons on top of in-store sales.

She was even told me to make sure I put down my phone number so friends and family could give it to a cahsier in order to get my membership discount without me.

Of course, this BN has no movie section and I doubt I will find anyone as nice once the sale starts, but we'll see, I got one really cool cashier during the last one.
You should check if they will let you do ship to home orders at the store with the $5 coupons. I do believe it says you can't on the coupon but I found some stores that still did it during the last sale. Looks like you may have found a store that would do it.
Old 07-09-10, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
You should check if they will let you do ship to home orders at the store with the $5 coupons. I do believe it says you can't on the coupon but I found some stores that still did it during the last sale. Looks like you may have found a store that would do it.
I've never even heard of that service actually. Would I have to pay for shipping though?

It is not like there aren't a ton of other BN around me, so I probably will not need to do that, but it could be helpful if a certain title turns out to be hard to come by.
Old 07-09-10, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've never even heard of that service actually. Would I have to pay for shipping though?

It is not like there aren't a ton of other BN around me, so I probably will not need to do that, but it could be helpful if a certain title turns out to be hard to come by.
It's basically like doing an online order but the store does it for you. You should get free shipping just like online. You may want to call the store and ask them if they could do a ship to home orders for DVDs since they do not have a movie section. It could come in handy if other stores in your area are strict with the coupons, or for getting those hard to find titles cheap.
Old 07-09-10, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
It's basically like doing an online order but the store does it for you. You should get free shipping just like online. You may want to call the store and ask them if they could do a ship to home orders for DVDs since they do not have a movie section. It could come in handy if other stores in your area are strict with the coupons, or for getting those hard to find titles cheap.
Cool, thanks for the info.
Old 07-09-10, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Camel
I thought B&N got rid of the 10% off for members...
They never did this. They added 10% off to non-members online.

But only members get 10% off in-store, with the stackable coupons an extra discount.
Old 07-09-10, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Camel
I thought B&N got rid of the 10% off for members...
I believe they only got rid of it for online sales.
Old 07-09-10, 06:51 PM
Cool New Member

I for one am ready to go head to head with my arch-nemesis store at the Arboretum in Austin. They have the best stock but the most restrictive allowance for coupon use so I've never gotten them to accept a single coupon during this sale. Bastards...

Let me know if you have any luck with that location.
During the last sale, my roomate and I went to this location and found a cashier who said he would take as many coupons as we could print out. We went to print some, chose our films, and as we were checking out this older cashier asked what he was doing. He called the manager and we could only use the coupon once. Their selection is insane, hope the old guy retired.
Old 07-09-10, 09:06 PM

I'm going to get Days of Heaven and Paris, Texas. Both of these should be beautiful in Blu-ray
Old 07-09-10, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Got a B&N gift card last Christmas and I've been waiting for this sale to use it.
Here's the shopping list for anyone interested

Walkabout (Blu ray)
Days Of Heaven (Blu ray)
Bigger Than Life (Blu ray)
The Red Shoes (Blu ray)
Lola Montes (Blu ray)
Paris Texas (Blu ray)
Night Train To Munich
Monsters & Madmen Collection

still have a bunch of stuff from the last sale I haven't even cracked open yet like the Eric Rohmer set, The Lubstich Musicals set, Vampyr, etc so I don't want to go overboard. But damn, it's hard to pass up a good sale on stuff like this.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 07-09-10 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-09-10, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've read reviews but I'd like other opinions: is 8 1/2 worth the upgrade to Blu-ray?
Old 07-10-10, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jwstl
I've read reviews but I'd like other opinions: is 8 1/2 worth the upgrade to Blu-ray?
I can't help you(I have yet to see the Blu-ray), but FYE will give you $6 for the DVD. With the 20% extra coupon, you can either get $7.20 in cash or $9 in FYE credit. I dumped mine for the $9 in credit and will upgrade to the Blu-ray for $4 and change. I figure that $4 is worth the upgrade, even if it's marginal.
Old 07-10-10, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I can't help you(I have yet to see the Blu-ray), but FYE will give you $6 for the DVD. With the 20% extra coupon, you can either get $7.20 in cash or $9 in FYE credit. I dumped mine for the $9 in credit and will upgrade to the Blu-ray for $4 and change. I figure that $4 is worth the upgrade, even if it's marginal.
Thanks for the reminder on this. I usually don't care at all about upgrading my DVDs to BD, VQ/AQ doesn't matter much to me, but I think I want all my Criterions to be as blu as possible, if only for the space savings.

As long as it doesn't lose any features or the booklet, think I'll do this trade-in and a couple others as well.
Old 07-10-10, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor

As long as it doesn't lose any features or the booklet, think I'll do this trade-in and a couple others as well.
You can keep the booklet from the DVD. FYE doesn't know or care about the booklet. They just check the discs for scratches.
Old 07-10-10, 11:00 AM

You can keep the booklet from the DVD. FYE doesn't know or care about the booklet. They just check the discs for scratches.
Thanks. I was actually thinking that as I was hitting the 'submit' button. Have a pile of inserts and slipcovers from DVDs that I've sold at home. Not sure why, but always figure I or someone I give them to will appreciate them more than most of the masses that probably ignore or toss them.
Old 07-10-10, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it time already?

I need:

Roberto Rossellini's War Trilogy
Revanche
Lola Montes
Hunger
Make Way for Tomorrow
Dillinger is Dead
Letters from Fontainhas
Summer Hours
Ride with the Devil
The Fugitive Kind
by Brakhage Vol. 2
Everlasting Moments
Close Up
Mystery Train
Red Desert
Night Train to Munich
The Only Son/There was a Father
The Red Shoes
Black Narcissus
Old 07-10-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That seems a bit dishonest and unfair to the person who buys it from FYE. I buy a lot of used and I do care about receiving the booklets.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.