Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

(DEAD) Criterion Sale? Ever Again?

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) Criterion Sale? Ever Again?

Old 07-14-10, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Criterion Sale? Ever Again? (NOW ACTIVE/ALIVE AT B&N)

Ended up ony getting Che and Night Train to Munich for $39.13 shipped with the Library link. That's probably going to be it for me. Too bad about the coupon stacking since I usually combine those with Bing. I should have ordered sooner.
Old 07-14-10, 07:52 AM

I placed several online orders, through the Boeing and IBM sites, using a different email address each time so that I could use the 20% coupon for new Barnes & Noble accounts. Just about every one was cancelled without explanation. I spoke with a representative from the Sales Audit Dept. at B & N and he couldn't figure it out. He felt it might have something to do with going through the 3rd party site, not the repeated use of the coupons.
Old 07-14-10, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jon Hertzberg
I placed several online orders, through the Boeing and IBM sites, using a different email address each time so that I could use the 20% coupon for new Barnes & Noble accounts. Just about every one was cancelled without explanation. I spoke with a representative from the Sales Audit Dept. at B & N and he couldn't figure it out. He felt it might have something to do with going through the 3rd party site, not the repeated use of the coupons.
I created a new B&N account just to try this and I got: Your order does not qualify for coupon U8K3U4A. Maybe because I went thorough Bing?
Old 07-14-10, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mike UFC
I created a new B&N account just to try this and I got: Your order does not qualify for coupon U8K3U4A. Maybe because I went thorough Bing?
Yes, now the coupons are locked out on the site. But, when I was placing the orders the coupon was working. I got an email saying the order was accepted. Several hours later, they were cancelled.
Old 07-14-10, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Had a very successful first day of the sale in NYC after I broke it up into an afternoon spree and an evening spree.

I had about $95 left on a Best Buy gift card, so I went there and they price matched Red Desert, Lola Montes, Bigger than Life, Days of Heaven, and Revanche to $19.99 for me, so I walked out of Best Buy with 5 criterion Blu-rays after spending roughly $15.

Then I went to the Union Square Barnes and Noble where I had reserved Yojimbo and Vivre sa vie. I get to the counter and they pulled SD-DVDs off the shelves. So after I get the Blu-ray versions, the cashier quickly ran them up in the same transaction and took the coupon. When I asked if she took $5 off each disc (knowing she'd say no), she told me it was one per transaction. So, not in the mood to argue (I had earlier been caught in a rain storm) I said I would just take Yojimbo. When she called a manager over (a nice one even though I saw the bitchy one from the last sale walk by) to help undo the transaction he told her to just run 2 transactions for me so I can use the coupon on both titles...success!

Wound up eating dinner in Queens, so I made a pre-meal stop at a BN out there and the cashier was nice enough to run 5 separate transactions for me (probably helped that I was lit. the only customer in the movie section) where I got Che, Close-up, Gimme Shelter, Mystery Train, and Paris, Texas with the member discount and $5 Off coupon applied to each.

Overall a big success in one day this time around. I'm done until maybe some buys in the last 4 or 5 days of the sale.
Old 07-14-10, 08:13 AM

Yes, now the coupons are locked out on the site. But, when I was placing the orders the coupon was working. I got an email saying the order was accepted. Several hours later, they were cancelled.
Ouch.
Old 07-14-10, 08:53 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
probably helped that I was lit.
I haven't tried buying drunk, but sounds fun.
Old 07-14-10, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by ShellBeacher
Interesting -- didn't know this, thanks. The substantial bonus material here still makes the set worth a purchase to me, though. But I'm with you.

I too am very adamant that the original released version of any film should remain available. If the filmmakers want to muck around with OARs and the cinematography (i.e. The French Connection), it's bad enough, but all I ask is that the original theatrical version of the film remain available or in existence in some capacity...

All films are a product of their time, and they should be preserved as such, flaws and all.

Just my feelings.
I totally agree. Yet if you want to actually see the movie, you're going to have to live with what Storaro did. I realize it's imperfect and some may feel they're supporting an aspect ratio that isn't entirely accurate -- yet the other choice is to sit and wait probably years and years for another release. Personally I'd rather watch the movie in the here and now as well as it can be presented, because the reality is that there isn't going to be another version anytime soon.

As far as the "full cut" goes, the theatrical version is the final version of the film that the director himself prefers. The "full cut" is an extended version that was produced for TV, under contractual obligations -- certainly it is worth seeing and some viewers may prefer it, but the reality there is that Bertolucci himself prefers his final version, finding the extended cut "boring." You can read his thoughts on the two versions here --

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/720

Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 07-14-10 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-14-10, 09:15 AM

Hit my local B&N yesterday -- some early birds had gotten *my* new Ozu & Night Train to Munich, but I ordered them along with the BR Red Shoes. As it was, I got Che, Gomorrah, and Howard's End (all Blue-ray), The Fugitive Kind, and Downhill Racer. With the stacked coupons, it was $80 on the nose before tax. Man, I love this B&N sale, and I love the clerks at my local store -- one is a huge Criterion fan, and it's great to discuss buying & viewing while I shop!

But does anyone know why Criterion priced the Blu-ray Howard's End higher than the regular version? is that the only title for which they've done that? Just curious...
Old 07-14-10, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

I'm relieved that I ordered almost all of the Blu-rays priced over $19.99 that I wanted on the first day before they suspended coupons.

I got:

By Brakhage Blu-ray for $31.17
Yojimbo & Sanjuro for $27.27
The Leopard for $17.99 (not including tax and even though I knew I could get it slightly cheaper with the $5 in-store coupon)

After those orders, I need the $5 off coupons to get the best deals on the Blu-rays anyway, so I suppose I'm going to make a trip over to McAllen (about 40 minutes away) and hope whoever I talk to allows me to stack the $5 coupons.
Old 07-14-10, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
I haven't tried buying drunk, but sounds fun.
hahahaha..."literally..."
Old 07-14-10, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by HockeyMan2000
As far as the "full cut" goes, the theatrical version is the final version of the film that the director himself prefers. The "full cut" is an extended version that was produced for TV, under contractual obligations -- certainly it is worth seeing and some viewers may prefer it, but the reality there is that Bertolucci himself prefers his final version, finding the extended cut "boring." You can read his thoughts on the two versions here --

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/720
This is the reason I chose the BD over the SD. I had read this and felt no need to see a version that the director didn't much care for.
Old 07-14-10, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by jwstl
This is the reason I chose the BD over the SD. I had read this and felt no need to see a version that the director didn't much care for.
The director's opinion is no more important than anyone else's, imo.
Old 07-14-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all that's gone on with the additional on-line coupons being disabled, can anyone confirm that the best on-line deal is simply to use the library OR AAA link for an extra 10% off the order? Simplifies things a lot, but the coupons would have been better
Old 07-14-10, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by obscurelabel
With all that's gone on with the additional on-line coupons being disabled, can anyone confirm that the best on-line deal is simply to use the library OR AAA link for an extra 10% off the order? Simplifies things a lot, but the coupons would have been better
I think so. Maybe there is a way to combine Bing or Discover of the Visa deals with one of those, but I don't think so.

If you have a local store you can order almost any Criterion to the store, and then pay with coupons.
Old 07-14-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think so. Maybe there is a way to combine Bing or Discover of the Visa deals with one of those, but I don't think so.

If you have a local store you can order almost any Criterion to the store, and then pay with coupons.
If I can't use coupons I'll go back to using the AAA site and paying with my Discover Card. I get 10% with AAA and Discover gives me 1% on all purchases. That's 1% better than using the Discover link.
Old 07-14-10, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The director's opinion is no more important than anyone else's, imo.
I give more weight to the artist's opinion than I do to a reviewer on a website or a buyer at Amazon. But having said that, most professional reviews I've read stated a preference for the Theatrical version.

But that's just one of the reasons I chose the Blu-ray and felt little need to watch the TV version:

A movie of such beautiful visuals demands to be seen in it's best visual version.

Upgraded audio. The BD has a DTS HD master audio stereo mix.

The TV version has been censored to remove profanity. This bugs me.

If someday there is a BD released with an uncensored version of the TV edition, I'll probably buy it.
Old 07-14-10, 11:20 AM

If I can't use coupons I'll go back to using the AAA site and paying with my Discover Card. I get 10% with AAA and Discover gives me 1% on all purchases. That's 1% better than using the Discover link.
Hopefully everyone has a card that pays them at least 1% back, every penny helps.

Last year, books were one of the special extra cashback categories for Discover during one of the sales, so we were getting an extra 5% on top of all the coupons. That was nice.
I give more weight to the artist's opinion than I do to a reviewer on a website or a buyer at Amazon. But having said that, most professional reviews I've read stated a preference for the Theatrical version.

But that's just one of the reasons I chose the Blu-ray and felt little need to watch the TV version:

A movie of such beautiful visuals demands to be seen in it's best visual version.

Upgraded audio. The BD has a DTS HD master audio stereo mix.

The TV version has been censored to remove profanity. This bugs me.

If someday there is a BD released with an uncensored version of the TV edition, I'll probably buy it.
Valid arguments, but we're all just slightly different in how important each factor weighs.

Removing profanity doesn't bother me much, and improved AV quality means little to me.

I watched both versions back to back and slightly prefer the longer version. A story and actors that strong deserve to have as much of the material as possible presented.

But if the theatrical was the only version released I'd still love it.
Old 07-14-10, 11:30 AM

Buy the blu-ray and the 4-Disc DVD of The Last Emperor. Take the TV version and put it in with the blu-ray. Sell the DVD set w/out the TV version on eBay for probably close to what you paid. Problem solved. ;-)
Old 07-14-10, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Unfortunately I won't have time to go to B&N stores during this sale so I'll have to go the online route. Disappointing that the coupons aren't working, and I was traveling during the time that they were, so I'll have to settle for lower discounts. Oh well. The prices are still worth it.
Old 07-14-10, 12:07 PM

Doesn't B&N sometimes have giftcard sales, where you buy a $50 giftcard and get a $10 one free?

I meant to stock up last time they did, as it essentially gives you an extra 20% off in addition to any links or coupons you can use.
Old 07-14-10, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Doesn't B&N sometimes have giftcard sales, where you buy a $50 giftcard and get a $10 one free?

I meant to stock up last time they did, as it essentially gives you an extra 20% off in addition to any links or coupons you can use.
They had a sale during Christmas last year but thought you had to buy a hundred dollars of either giftcards or online certificates. There was also another one day sale a few months ago at the library link. However with the Christmas sale you could get cashback through fatwallet in addition to the extra $10.
Old 07-14-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Can anyone recommend or discourage WR: Mysteries of an Organism? I blind bought it because it looks really wild and surreal but well thought out. However, I am not sure if my fantasy of the film and the movie itself will mesh.

Also picked up:
The Bad Sleep Well
Biscreet Charm of Bourgeoisie

Got shot down on using a 2nd coupon (different UPC) at one store today but otherwise great luck.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 07-14-10 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-14-10, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That sucks. I've got two orders from the first night of the sale still unshipped, and they went through the AAA link and had a coupon applied as well. I recently got B&N's standard "You order has been delayed" e-mail, which states that the orders are still expected to ship within a couple of days. I hope they do.

I have had Black Narcissus and The Red Shoes pre-ordered since they were announced back in April, from amazon.com. Price: $27.99 each but paid with GCs so will cost me $0 out of pocket. I'm leaving those pre-orders where they are...at this rate those discs will show up well before the B&N ones do.
Old 07-14-10, 12:36 PM

Ok. Outside of the Red Shoes and., maybe, Black Narcissus next week, I'm SPENT. I spent $13 each for the following (5 of them were bought with gift card thank goodness), except for the Leopard which was $18:

8 1/2
Bigger than Life
Days of Heaven
The Leopard
Red Desert
Revanche
Ride with the Devil
Stagecoach

These join my copies of 400 Blows, The Seventh Seal, The Third Man and the Kurosawa Box Set (Yojimbo/Sanjuro).

Thank you Barnes and Noble, each of the three stores with your really helpful and friendly associates

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.