Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) Criterion Sale? Ever Again?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-10, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Criterion Sale? Ever Again? (NOW ACTIVE/ALIVE AT B&N)

Originally Posted by Trevor
Our quotes of his posts will be the only record of his brief membership here.
Whammy!

Back on topic- I've compiled a list of about 30 movies that I'd love to take advantage of with the next great Criterion sale.
Old 04-27-10, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by illennium
When DD had their B1G1 sale, I'm pretty sure higher-tier Criterions were priced at $32.xx, putting each title at $16.xx all-in. At B&N, they come to $14.xx with tax (YMMV on that), which is a little better, but it's not always a smooth experience. Sometimes I had to argue with the cashier, sometimes I got shut down by a manager, and I was never able to use more than 2-3 coupons at a time at any of the 10+ stores I went to. Oh and not one store even wanted to deal with the stacking $5/$5/$5 coupon, even though it's totally legit. There's just a lot of YMMV to the whole thing and a big gap between the theory of what should legitimately happen, and the practice of what actually does. If DD had that B1G1 sale again, I'd clear out my entire 30+ title wishlist and skip B&N completely.
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I personally don't think it's worth all the hassle of dealing with cashiers/managers and driving to multiple stores just to get a few more dollars off when 50% off is already a really great value.
Old 04-27-10, 12:01 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I personally don't think it's worth all the hassle of dealing with cashiers/managers and driving to multiple stores just to get a few more dollars off when 50% off is already a really great value.
Normally agree. But in my case I drive by multiple B&Ns on a daily basis. Also, never got any hassle as coupons scan easily in their system. And since I bought so many, buying at 'just' 50% off would have cost me hundreds of dollars over the course of the two sales.
Old 04-27-10, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with you.

I got very good deals just ordering online through the AAA system and getting the extra discount plus free express shipping. There were even a few non-member coupons I used to get even better deals.
Old 04-27-10, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Completely agree, except... I walk to all the stores.

It's something like a 10-mile loop to hit all of the participating Barnes & Noble stores in Manhattan, so I usually just reserve an afternoon to do that, and then I can even skip my daily run. Dorky, I know, but I actually really enjoy the ritual of speed-walking from one B&N to the other, iPod blaring, anticipating the next store's Criterion selection.
Old 04-27-10, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It's something like a 10-mile loop to hit all of the participating Barnes & Noble stores in Manhattan, so I usually just reserve an afternoon to do that, and then I can even skip my daily run. Dorky, I know, but I actually really enjoy the ritual of speed-walking from one B&N to the other, iPod blaring, anticipating the next store's Criterion selection.
This would be great. At least you can feel good that you got some nice air and exercise.
Old 04-28-10, 12:26 AM

*sigh* I love Criterion.
Old 04-28-10, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

I do the same thing...but without the iPod
Old 04-28-10, 07:47 AM

How sad is it that I'm actually thinking about taking a trip to NY just so that I can do this as well? How many stores is it illennium?

I'd catch a ballgame and/or show as well......
Old 04-28-10, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How sad is it that I'm actually thinking about taking a trip to NY just so that I can do this as well? How many stores is it illennium?

I'd catch a ballgame and/or show as well......
A little sad, but it sounds fun. I kind of wish I was in NY to do the same thing.
Old 04-28-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I'm jealous of you New Yorkers too *shakes fist*
Old 04-28-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I myself go to 5 different stores (although there are more), as I want to stay between 14th & 86th st
Old 04-29-10, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jaymole
I myself go to 5 different stores (although there are more), as I want to stay between 14th & 86th st
Not successful on every attempt but........

West 8th St. --- No Criterions sold (blasphemy!)
Union Square ---
555 5th Ave. --- (declined to accept $5 coupon all attempts)
Citigroup Center ---
Lincoln Center Triangle ---
East 86th Street ---
Old 04-29-10, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mosskeeto
Not successful on every attempt but........

West 8th St. --- No Criterions sold (blasphemy!)
Union Square ---
555 5th Ave. --- (declined to accept $5 coupon all attempts)
Citigroup Center ---
Lincoln Center Triangle ---
East 86th Street ---
I had no trouble with coupons at 555 5th ave twice, and once they didn't let me use it...I guess it all depends on the clerk you get.

There is one clerk at the Lincoln Center who would only let me use one coupon per visit.

Otherwise I have been pretty lucky in using the coupons
Old 04-29-10, 10:17 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm out of space and currently doing massive reorganizing.

what is this reorganizing project you keep speaking of? are we going to get to see the results? i'm in the middle of the same.
Old 04-30-10, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by bse
what is this reorganizing project you keep speaking of? are we going to get to see the results? i'm in the middle of the same.
With my lack of space and sheer volume of titles, it's more like The NeverEnding Reorganizing Story. But I have made some progress, and I really do hope to 'finish' this year.

My idea of 'finish' will be something like: almost everything organized on shelving and bookcases, alphabetically, with separate areas for TV, Movies, Criterion, Christmas, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, Sports, Documentary, and Misc. I want everything to be visible and easily found by anyone looking at my collection.

But even after I move everything to slimcases, I don't think I have enough room to get to that point. But I'm going to try to get rid of stuff and end up with enough room for dozens of feet of bookcases and shelving everywhere.

I'm sure I'll always have at least a few hundred titles scattered around in various boxes and bags, the stuff I'm trying to decide to keep or return or sell or give away. Or stuff that I'm unsure how and where to file it.

Back on topic, sort of, I finally opened my Criterion set of Equinox and loved it. It's part of our Criterion Club here at DVDTalk, of which I hope all of you are members.
Old 04-30-10, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

For those of you planning a "New York Excursion", beware the confiscatory combined sales tax for NYS & NYC!
Old 04-30-10, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
For those of you planning a "New York Excursion", beware the confiscatory combined sales tax for NYS & NYC!
Using google, looks like that is 8.875%, right?
Old 04-30-10, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Correct
Old 05-01-10, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Originally Posted by Jaymole
Correct
pfft. thats peanuts compared to that of two counties in ca where sales tax is 10.75%.
Old 05-01-10, 06:31 AM

Here in Ontario we pay 13% (5% GST (Federal) and 8% PST (Provincial)).

Another reason to order from the USA.

James
Old 05-01-10, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by JamesDFarrow
Here in Ontario we pay 13% (5% GST (Federal) and 8% PST (Provincial)).

Another reason to order from the USA.

James

But, then, who is going to pay for your health care?
Old 05-01-10, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With my lack of space and sheer volume of titles, it's more like The NeverEnding Reorganizing Story. But I have made some progress, and I really do hope to 'finish' this year.

My idea of 'finish' will be something like: almost everything organized on shelving and bookcases, alphabetically, with separate areas for TV, Movies, Criterion, Christmas, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, Sports, Documentary, and Misc. I want everything to be visible and easily found by anyone looking at my collection.

But even after I move everything to slimcases, I don't think I have enough room to get to that point. But I'm going to try to get rid of stuff and end up with enough room for dozens of feet of bookcases and shelving everywhere.

I'm sure I'll always have at least a few hundred titles scattered around in various boxes and bags, the stuff I'm trying to decide to keep or return or sell or give away. Or stuff that I'm unsure how and where to file it.

Back on topic, sort of, I finally opened my Criterion set of Equinox and loved it. It's part of our Criterion Club here at DVDTalk, of which I hope all of you are members.
Equinox is great. I think I went and saw it 4 times when it was originally released in theaters. I just couldn't get enough of stop-motion animated monsters.
Old 05-01-10, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From the Criterion Forum:
Spoke with a member of my local B&N staff last night re:50% off sale. It will be July...so start saving your money now or get new credits cards with deep limits. June will be the buy 2 get 1 free sale, which they won't do in tandem with the Criterion sale.
Old 05-01-10, 11:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

geez. June and July are gonna be brutal.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.