DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/571893-big-lots-part-8-list-your-finds-here-no-trades.html)

That'sAllFolks 11-14-10 12:14 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Originally Posted by Texan26 (Post 10489867)
Westheimer and Gesnner near the beltway. I picked up Twin Peaks S2, Police Squad, and Mork & Mindy S2.

They also had CSI Miami S1, Diagnosis Murder (not sure of the season), random seasons of Family Ties, Cheers, Melrose Place, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, and 7th Heaven. They did not have Friday the 13th, which is the one I wanted. They had two rows of them in the wire rack.

Thanks, hoping it was a little close location. Since the orig. post was yesterday morning and I wouldn't be able to go until tonight, I will probably pass. Hoping my local location will put them out early as well.

Manzana 11-14-10 12:59 PM

I went to another BL and there were no signs of $6 DVDs there. I haven't yet had a chance to go back to the 1 store where I found a small amount of these to see if they've pulled them. Anyway, it's not looking very promising that I'll get any more early.

With the old $3 and $6 Warner sets which were not BF, it was just a matter of going to various stores at the right time, and the competition didn't really start for several days (i.e. most people didn't become aware of them immediately), so I got a fair amount of those, bought extras, and traded for most of the ones I wanted.

This sale being limited to BF means everyone will grab them immediately because people are normally in frenzied grab mode on BF, and those of us who go to other stores first on BF will probably not get any by the time we make it to BL.

Had I known these were BF specials, I would've grabbed more stuff to have available for trades. Family Ties is my all-time favorite series, and I guess the concept of anyone passing over them for $6 is beyond my grasp, but we're all different. I passed over Matlock, Macgyver, and JAG, and I bet some people love those. If my store hasn't been reprimanded and pulled theirs (very unlikely), I'll grab some extras next time I'm there in hopes that others will do the same in trade forum.

bigjim25 11-14-10 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees (Post 10489575)
A manager at one of the stores showed me this email that she got from the corporate offices:

To: Big Lots Manager

It has come to our attention that you have been selling $6 TV box sets in violation of our agreement that stipulates that these sets are to be sold only starting on Black Friday, November 26. As a result of this indiscretion, you will be required to ship back to us all remaining sets immediately.

In exchange, we will be sending you 200 units of Joey Season 1 for your Black Friday sale.
Thank you for your understanding,

Big Lots Corporate Offices

:lol: Haven't heard a good Joey joke in awhile. ;)

k_lodge 11-14-10 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by darkhawk (Post 10489873)
TV Shows I bought are:

Melrose Place S1 and S2
The Love Boat S1 Vol. 1
Beverley Hills 90210 S4
Happy Days S4
Sleeper Cell S2
Caroline in the City S1
Joan of Arcadia S1
Twin Peaks S2

Found but didn't buy are:
Cheers S9
Matlock S1 (all had loose discs in them)
Family Ties S2

As for standard DVDs, I bought:

The Anderson Tapes
Night Skies
The Good Life
Synecdoche New York
Touch the top of the World
Kiss Me Kill Me
Romance & a Cigerette

Which Orlando store did you find these at?

BobO'Link 11-14-10 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Drake (Post 10489680)
I would still check in with your favorite BL during the upcoming week , someone is bound to put these out early. It's happened before ....

That goes without saying when dealing with BL... As the store is only a mile from my house and only adds a mile detour going home from the office I plan to swing by every day "just in case". :D

The best part is the contacts I have will call me if they show up so I really don't need the stop in but I enjoy the hunt as I seem to find a new selection almost every time I give the displays another going over.

darkhawk 11-14-10 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by k_lodge (Post 10490109)
Which Orlando store did you find these at?

In Sanford, on Lake Mary Blvd and US 17-92.

I was also at the stores:
US 17-92 and SR 434
Semoran Blvd. and Howell Branch Rd
Colonial Dr. and Bumby

None of these three stores had the TV series.

Drake 11-14-10 03:56 PM

Stopped by The W.Bridgewater MA store ,still no TV seasons
but I found the Busby Box and figured why not ....I like Dick Powell
also picked up House Arrest for a trade and the Altman film Kansas City.

TxFan31 11-14-10 06:15 PM

Picked up Benchwarmers, North Dallas Forty, Big Top Pee Wee, Zodiac, and Dogma Special Edition in the 5 for 10 sale Friday morning at the Longview, Texas Big Lots. The Marshall, Texas one had a pretty horrible selection. Neither of these had any of the seasons you guys are talking about.

DarkRavenII 11-14-10 06:23 PM

The TV box sets list just keeps growing and growing! Every time I come on here I have to jot down a few more onto my list. I have 38 box sets on my list already that I'd want to buy out of this sale. But Black Friday at Big Lots? I just don't know. Sounds like a mess / battle to me. I'd miss out on other stores as well. I was thinking of only doing Cyber Monday this year online and forget crowded stores.

Nate the Great 11-14-10 06:41 PM

Add North Augusta to the list of stores receiving Joey product.

I got two things I was looking for, which is rare for my retail outings: "Son of Rambow" and "Fugitive S1 V1." My wife racked up for Ch'mas, though.

g 11-14-10 06:53 PM

The discount deal allowed me to finally get Powder Blue for the Jessica Biel strip scenes. I would have passed but 2 dollars made it a buy as a fifth selection with a few others.

Cardsfan111 11-14-10 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by DarkRavenII (Post 10490525)
The TV box sets list just keeps growing and growing! Every time I come on here I have to jot down a few more onto my list.

Not suggesting you do it, but does anyone already have a typed out list of what's been spotted? I'm going to have take some notes myself. :D

Finally found a very picked over display in Lexington KY (Pavillion Way). Still grabbed quite a few including Family Ties-Season 4 which was the highlight for me as it has been on my wish list since it was released. There's plenty of others I'm interested in so the hunt continues.

That'sAllFolks 11-14-10 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 (Post 10490631)
Not suggesting you do it, but does anyone already have a typed out list of what's been spotted? I'm going to have take some notes myself. :D

Ask and you shall receive. Typed this out earlier. I think I got everything posted so far. I'm sure we will see a whole lot more before this is over. Some titles were indicated, but no season specified.

7th Heaven S3 S5, S6
90210 (The CW one) S1
Beverly Hillbillies S2
Beverley Hills 90210 S4
Bosom Buddies S1
Brady Bunch S2
Caroline in the City S1
Cheers S3. S9
Cleaner
CSI S2,S3, S7
CSI Miami S1, S2
CSI NY S2, S3,S4,S5.
Daily Show: Indecision 2004 (cheaper on Amazon MP)
Diagnosis Murder
Family Ties S1, S2, S4
Friday the 13th S2
Fugitive S1V1, S2V1
Gomer Pyle S4
Happy Days S4
Hawaii Five-O S1, S3, S6, S7
J*A*G S5
Joan of Arcadia S1
Laverne & Shirley S2
Love Boat S1V1, S1V2
Matlock S1,S2
Melrose Place S1, S2, S3, S4 S5V1, S5V2
McGyver S4
Mission Impossible S5
Mork and Mindy S2
Odd Couple S2, S3
Perry Mason S3V1, S4V1, 50th Anniversary
Police Squad Complete
Rawhide
Sabrina the Teenage Witch S1, S2, S3, S4
Sleeper Cell S2
Star Trek Fan Collective - Borg
Star Trek Fan Collective - Q
Twin Peaks S2

Cardsfan111 11-14-10 07:52 PM

^ Excellent! I thought about doing myself, but I was certain someone had probably went through the trouble. Thanks!

I'm trying to recall ones I spotted today and one missing from the list was a Star Trek Borg Collection (?) - I'm not a ST fan so I passed on it. Here's the Amazon link--I'm nearly 100% certain this is the one I saw, several copies in fact.

darkhawk 11-14-10 08:10 PM

I want to get Twin Peaks, but after learning S1 doesn't come with the Pilot episode for the series, I might hold off.

BobO'Link 11-14-10 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks (Post 10490658)
Ask and you shall receive. Typed this out earlier. I think I got everything posted so far. I'm sure we will see a whole lot more before this is over. Some titles were indicated, but no season specified.

7th Heaven S3 S5, S6
90210 (The CW one) S1
Beverly Hillbillies S2
Beverley Hills 90210 S4
Bosom Buddies S1
Brady Bunch S2
Caroline in the City S1
Cheers S3. S9
CSI S2,S3, S7
CSI Miami S1, S2
CSI NY S2, S3,S4,S5.
Daily Show: Indecision 2004 (cheaper on Amazon MP)
Diagnosis Murder
Family Ties S1, S2, S4
Friday the 13th S2
Fugitive S1V1, S2V1
Gomer Pyle S4
Happy Days S4
Hawaii Five-O S3, S6, S7
J*A*G S5
Joan of Arcadia S1
Laverne & Shirley S2
Love Boat S1V1, S1V2
Matlock S1,S2
Melrose Place S1, S2, S3, S4 S5V1, S5V2
McGyver S4
Mission Impossible S5
Mork and Mindy S2
Odd Couple S2
Police Squad Complete
Sabrina the Teenage Witch S1, S2, S3, S4
Perry Mason S3V1, 50th Anniversary
Rawhide
Sleeper Cell S2
Star Trek Fan Collective - Borg
Twin Peaks S2

Hmmm... I missed a few you have listed and these are on my list which are not on yours:

Cleaner, The (no season given)
Hawaii Five-O (S1)
Odd Couple (S3)
Seventh Heaven (S5, S6)

Cardsfan111 11-14-10 11:24 PM

And for anyone using the above list and trying to maintain a complete list, the Perry Mason that I spotted today was S3V2.

Since the store I found sets at today was picked over, I neglected to pick up a bunch of extras for the trade forum (otherwise that would have really cleared them out). I did buy a single copy of Family Ties S1 (already own it) and an extra copy of Family Ties S4 (since I remembered one or two had mentioned looking for it). I posted in the exchange thread for anyone interested.

PopcornBandit 11-15-10 06:28 AM

More seasons than just the first of Sabrina the Teenage Witch have been showing up? Drats. I guess I'll be making my Big Lots rounds at a few different stores this afternoon.

That'sAllFolks 11-15-10 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 10490724)
Hmmm... I missed a few you have listed and these are on my list which are not on yours:

Cleaner, The (no season given)
Hawaii Five-O (S1)
Odd Couple (S3)
Seventh Heaven (S5, S6)

Updated list with these. Seventh Heaven is under 7th Heaven though.

MooMooMooMoo 11-15-10 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks (Post 10490658)

Thank you for this!

obscurelabel 11-15-10 02:22 PM

I snagged Perry Mason Season Four, Volume One.

Quatermass 11-15-10 03:32 PM

Why don't you post the updated list as the first post in a new thread "Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)". I can't believe the mods let this one get this long. It will be easy to keep track of it if it's the first post and you can just edit it as new ones are found.

By the way, thanks for the list.

ProfessorEcho 11-15-10 04:48 PM

Thanks for the comprehensive list, FOLKS! Well and above beyond the call of posting duty, but we all appreciate it.

When you get a chance you can add THE BRADY BUNCH S1.

I second the idea of a separate thread or at least a new Big Lots thread.

That'sAllFolks 11-15-10 04:58 PM

Part 9:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...l#post10492254