DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/571893-big-lots-part-8-list-your-finds-here-no-trades.html)

b2net 04-05-10 02:21 PM

Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Part 7 was getting quite long with over 2500+ posts, so starting a Part 8. :D

Post all of your finds here, but please post your trades in the following thread:
The Unofficial "Big Lots" Exchange Thread

Trevor 04-05-10 02:30 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Here's the link to #7 for continuity.
And thread #6, #5, #4, #3, #2, and the original update thread.

I wonder if we set a record with that last thread?

jwstl 04-05-10 02:39 PM

I apologize if this has been mentioned...

As I was making my way through the many copies of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow I noticed one that had a Walmart Exclusive sticker. The WM version comes with a bonus DVD that has a short making of featurette and trailers not included on the SE disc. The disc isn't essential but might be worth the $3 to those that collect exclusives.

Trevor 04-05-10 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by jwstl (Post 10089340)
I apologize if this has been mentioned...

As I was making my way through the many copies of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow I noticed one that had a Walmart Exclusive sticker. The WM version comes with a bonus DVD that has a short making of featurette and trailers not included on the SE disc. The disc isn't essential but might be worth the $3 to those that collect exclusives.

I keep forgetting if I have this exclusive or not, I'm thinking not. I'll hope to find one on my next visit to BL. Thanks for the mention!

b2net 04-05-10 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10089326)
I wonder if we set a record with that last thread?

That is a good question. Wonder if there is a way to check stats of other posts..

I did review the older Big Lot Posts and here are the stats.

Part 7 - 2518 (or more) posts - 8/4/09 to 4/5/10
Part 6 - 1185 posts - 7/23/09 to 8/4/09
Part 5 - 800 posts - 7/17/09 to 7/23/09
Part 4 - 1519 posts - 5/24/09 to 7/17/09
Part 3 - 1585 posts - 11/18/08 to 5/23/09
Part 2 - 1228 posts - 6/13/08 to 11/16/08
Part 1 - 1527 posts - 10/8/06 to 6/13/08

ratnamedted 04-05-10 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by b2net (Post 10089346)
That is a good question. Wonder if there is a way to check stats of other posts..

I did review the older Big Lot Posts and here are the stats.

Part 7 - 2518 (or more) posts - 8/4/09 to 4/5/10
Part 6 - 1185 posts - 7/23/09 to 8/4/09
Part 5 - 800 posts - 7/17/09 to 7/23/09
Part 4 - 1519 posts - 5/24/09 to 7/17/09
Part 3 - 1585 posts - 11/18/08 to 5/23/09
Part 2 - 1228 posts - 6/13/08 to 11/16/08
Part 1 - 1527 posts - 10/8/06 to 6/13/08

I love how it goes from a new thread every six months or so and then BAM! The summer of 2009 will always be a classic. I say this as I peer at my complete Flintstones collections, Batman and Superman TAS collections, Thundercats, Superfriends, Wonder Woman complete collection, a ton of Hannah Barbera Golden Collections (although I never did find the fabled Looney Tunes set), Popeye, Night Court, Smallville, OC, Lois and Clark, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, and more.

Quatermass 04-05-10 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by b2net (Post 10089312)
Part 7 was getting quite long with over 2500+ posts, so starting a Part 8. :D

As the thread starter, you're responsible for everything that is posted here. You also have to buy the beer.

wildcardCharlie 04-05-10 03:21 PM

Found for three dollars each:

Outpost
Funny Games (remake)

Trevor 04-05-10 03:39 PM

I'm bored, so here are some numbers.

Busy threads still active

1463 posts http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hot-deals/5...-daily-37.html

Our own Big Lots Exchange thread at 1407 posts http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-exchang...thread-36.html

2490 http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/546...nd-2-a-63.html

2150 http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/542...atched-54.html

1373 http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/56...atched-35.html

3469 http://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-...-night-87.html

Several more in the 1500 range but I'm not that bored.

In limited searching for the thread with the most ever views, it might be our own part #7 with ~261,000.

For largest thread ever; a smallball thread back in 2005 in Sports had 4,209 posts.

LostFan 04-05-10 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by ratnamedted (Post 10089381)
I love how it goes from a new thread every six months or so and then BAM! The summer of 2009 will always be a classic. I say this as I peer at my complete Flintstones collections, Batman and Superman TAS collections, Thundercats, Superfriends, Wonder Woman complete collection, a ton of Hannah Barbera Golden Collections (although I never did find the fabled Looney Tunes set), Popeye, Night Court, Smallville, OC, Lois and Clark, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, and more.

and JOEY! I'm not even being sarcastic. I didn't buy much from the summer of 2009, but Joey was my most prized find (obviously not for its scarcity, but because it had the most appeal to me).

b2net 04-05-10 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Quatermass (Post 10089409)
As the thread starter, you're responsible for everything that is posted here. You also have to buy the beer.

:beer2: for everyone -eek- now you tell me :helpme:

Pizza 04-05-10 06:01 PM

Those were fun times (until it got a little ugly on the boards if I recall correctly). The same time that was going on, I went with the wife and visited the in-laws two states over. Stopped at a lot of BLs and found mucho good stuff. Never the legendary Looney Tunes box, but I can't complain. Big Lots will never top it.

Ralph_Furley 04-05-10 07:59 PM

...from the previous closed Big Lots! thread

Originally Posted by Shinobi
Coyote Ragtime Show complete series
Moeyo Ken complete series
for $2.50 each

Can anyone else confirm this? If so, what stores?

On a side note, picked up Molly Shannon's "Year of the Dog" for $3 today. Blind buy.

jwstl 04-05-10 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ralph_Furley (Post 10089856)
...from the previous closed Big Lots! thread

Can anyone else confirm this? If so, what stores?

On a side note, picked up Molly Shannon's "Year of the Dog" for $3 today. Blind buy.

I had Moeyo Ken in my hands but couldn't find 4 I wanted so I put it back. That was at a store in the KC area.

Jose Dromedary 04-05-10 08:55 PM

Pardon me if these titles have been mentioned already...

Picked up The Candidate (full screen, snapper) and Knute Rockne for $3 each.

boc4ever 04-06-10 06:50 AM

Added to receive updates...

ratnamedted 04-06-10 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by LostFan (Post 10089493)
and JOEY! I'm not even being sarcastic. I didn't buy much from the summer of 2009, but Joey was my most prized find (obviously not for its scarcity, but because it had the most appeal to me).

There is still one lonely Joey hanging out at my local BL. I've wanted to buy it just to put it out of it's misery many times.

nando820 04-06-10 09:47 AM

I can see myself in the future "kids, it was the summer of 2009, an uneventful lazy Saturday afternoon as i headed to my local Big lots when the inexplicable happened"

bayoozen 04-06-10 11:45 AM

Are they still doing 4 for $10 or are the dvds back to $3 a piece?

lostboys323 04-06-10 06:33 PM

To answer your questions yes they still have the 4 for 10 deal at big lots. I might head there sometime this week hopefully they have restocked. :rock:

BobO'Link 04-06-10 07:17 PM

^Maybe at your store, but here they're back to $3/each.

bayoozen 04-06-10 08:51 PM

Anybody else have any votes on the answer? lol

darkhawk 04-06-10 09:32 PM

I still can't find Starter's Wife

collector_cliff 04-07-10 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by bayoozen (Post 10091991)
Anybody else have any votes on the answer? lol

No longer doing the 4 for $10 @ my store either.

MrSmearkase 04-07-10 09:02 AM

Yeah, the 4 for $10 deal should've ended last Saturday the 3rd.

Quatermass 04-07-10 10:57 AM

4/$10 ended last Saturday at mine. They were kind of a mess - a lot of $5 titles mixed in with the $3s. I think people probably brought stacks of the $5 ones up to the registers thinking they were $2.50 and then put them back randomly.

thejester 04-07-10 10:23 PM

Was still going on this past Sunday at the Pearland(Tx) store - sign was up & the $3 DVDs rang up that way ($2.50 for 4+). Don't know about since then.

drmar35mm 04-08-10 01:09 PM

This morning picked up: Best of Spin City 1 & 2, Spy Who Came in from the Cold, Snipes double feature, Sunset Blvd., Funny Face.

BigLotz 04-08-10 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by drmar35mm (Post 10094810)
This morning picked up: Best of Spin City 1 & 2, Spy Who Came in from the Cold, Snipes double feature, Sunset Blvd., Funny Face.

Spin city is a really good show, iam glad i decided to pick that up even though it was $6 for the set.

BobO'Link 04-10-10 11:17 AM

A *few* box sets appeared here yesterday at $8/each:

The Invisible Man (SciFi channel one) S1 (one copy)
Magnum P.I. - S7 (one copy)
Simon and Simon - S1 (one copy)
Coach - S2 (5 copies)
Starter Wife - Miniseries (4 copies)

At first I thought "Coach" was a "best of" type thing as it is 2 standard keep-cases in a cardboard holder. But it's the entire season (20 episodes) on 2 disks.

and at $4:
Fear Factor - S1 (6 copies)
Sitting Ducks - S1 (4 copies)

There were also *lots* of the "Saturday Night Live" - "Best of" compilations. I didn't look to see which ones, but there were 30+. I *think* they were $3/each but I didn't look too closely.

That'sAllFolks 04-10-10 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 10098053)

Coach - S2 (5 copies)
Starter Wife - Miniseries (4 copies)

At first I thought "Coach" was a "best of" type thing as it is 2 standard keep-cases in a cardboard holder. But it's the entire season (20 episodes) on 2 disks.

and at $4:
Sitting Ducks - S1 (4 copies)

There were also *lots* of the "Saturday Night Live" - "Best of" compilations. I didn't look to see which ones, but there were 30+. I *think* they were $3/each but I didn't look too closely.

SNL stuff was $4 at my BL. Nothing that hasn't been there before -- David Spade, Adam Baldwin, Commercial Parodies, Cheri Oteri and Sat Morn Funhouse

Restock of Legend films with some new ones as well. Saw a couple of RiffTrax ones (Missile to the Moon and Night of the Living Dead). There is no indication these have the colorized versions included. Anyone verify?

Also saw:
Pied Piper http://www.amazon.com/Pied-Piper-Don...0919077&sr=8-2
The One And Only ~ Henry Winkler,
The Optimists -- Peter sellers
a Beatles doc and some others.

Johnny Zhivago 04-10-10 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 10098053)

Coach - S2 (5 copies)

and at $4:

Spotted those this evening... and yeah, the SNL stuff is $4.

Picked up the only copy of Invisible Man S1 as a blind buy...

MooMooMooMoo 04-10-10 08:49 PM

Pearl Tacoma Wa got SMALL amounts of the stuff reported above: Mystery Theater, 3 or 4 weak TV boxes @8, SNL, Legend (both new & restock) & 1 or 2 animae titles. Bridgeport still hasn't gotten anything since the $5 Paramount batch.

Texan26 04-10-10 10:49 PM

One of my closest locations received a big restock of the Warner titles. Plenty of copies of Red Sonja, Unforgiven and other Clint Eastwood titles, Prince and the Showgirl, Exorcist 2, and various others of the Warner titles that came with this batch. It was not new to them since I know they received these titles last year. I was disappointed since I was hoping for something new.

mike07 04-10-10 11:01 PM

Yesterday, I picked up Terms of Endearment "I Love the 80's" edition and Safe Passage (Susan Sarandon) for $3 each.

lostboys323 04-12-10 02:30 AM

Just got back from big lots and picked up a few 3 dollar dvd's here is what I got.

Little Shop Of Horrors (Legends Films dvd) including color and black and white version.
ZPG Zero Population Growth (Legends Films dvd) including color and black and white version.
Airplane 2 (I love the 80's disc) including color and black and white version.
The Killer Shrews/The Giant Gila Monster (Double Disc Legend Films dvd)including color and black and white version.

They had a few other legend films releases the only ones I can remember at this moment were (1979) Hurricane, (1945)Sherlock Holmes: The Woman in Green, and (1975) Framed

TropicalRobot 04-12-10 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by lostboys323 (Post 10100174)
Airplane 2 (I love the 80's disc) including color and black and white version.

B&W version of Airplane 2? Wha?

Cubicle Morlock 04-12-10 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago (Post 10098590)
Picked up the only copy of Invisible Man S1 as a blind buy.

One of the most witty and fun shows ever to grace that TV quality wasteland that is the SciFi channel. The character chemistry was amazing, the four leads come from four different corners and then bounce off each other like they've been performing their act for years. And the visuals are impressive - not for the effects (which aren't bad, but this is made for TV), but for the brilliant execution. As an example, if I live to be 90 and go senile, the jaw droppingly hilarious chase scene of the invisible biker and invisible skateboarder through a crowded downtown will forever remain etched in my memory (caveat - I do not remember if that was season 1 or 2).

It was criminal that the series was cancelled after 2 seasons, especially in favor of preserving the garbage that is the Stargate franchise. Like Farscape, about the only thing SciFi channel knows what to do with quality written shows is to strangle them in the crib. The disappointing part about the DVD set showing up on clearance at Big Lots is it probably indicates we'll never see season 2 released to DVD.

PixarFan1988 04-12-10 03:54 PM

Went to Big Lots on Saturday (My Birthday) and did not really find much, but I did find two titles of interest:

Beverly Hills Cop (I Love the 80's Edition)
The Naked Gun 2 1/2: The Smell of Fear

both were $3.00 and I think I got the last copy of BHC.

Other movies I saw (but did not buy) were:

King Kong (1976)(Old cover art)
The Bad News Bears (1976)
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
The Naked Gun (Which I already have)

lostboys323 04-12-10 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by TropicalRobot (Post 10100652)
B&W version of Airplane 2? Wha?

Sorry about that I didnt mean to type the "color & black and white version" I forgot to delete that before I posted it.