DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/571893-big-lots-part-8-list-your-finds-here-no-trades.html)

ProfessorEcho 11-01-10 05:02 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Went to the other NoHo BL today to return the copy of STRANGERS ON A TRAIN I had bought for my bro (he already had it). Anyway, a few different titles from the Vineland store, mostly Paramount trash. The Vineland location seemed to get the bulk of the new stuff, which surprises me as I've always thought it to be one of the worst Big Lots around.

I found one copy of SORRY WRONG NUMBER and put it in a more or less special place in case any fellow DVD Talker in the area wants it. It's in one of the bottom DVD displays by the cash registers, not the displays in the main aisle. You have to lift the top box of DVDs in order to get to the ones below it.

MooMooMooMoo 11-01-10 10:23 PM

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing their pricing is mostly based on their cost for each batch.

MrSmearkase 11-01-10 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 10467047)
I could be wrong, but I'm guessing their pricing is mostly based on their cost for each batch.

That's exactly what I have been suspecting. I believe that is why we sometimes see a $3 DVD later priced at $5, and vice versa.

bse 11-01-10 11:15 PM

Our local Big Lots had almost everything mentioned here, they had just put out a 3rd display, a lot of 'Lets Scare Jessica to Death'.... I bought the Monty Python set, Dollars, and Atlantic City.

Undeadcow 11-01-10 11:20 PM

Let's Scare Jessica to Death is a nice film, it's not perfect but I recommend it especially at $3.

DeepSleep 11-02-10 12:39 AM

Saw the following titles from the new $3 batch. All the UPCs are undamaged (just a white sticker over it).

The Air I Breathe
Three Violent People (Charlton Heston)
The Rose Tatoo (Burt Lancaster)
Dogma 2 Disc SE (the keepcase is thicker and has a bookcase style slipcover and lists the contents of disc 1 and disc 2 on the back cover)
The Good Life
Carriers
A New Kind of Love (Paul Newman)
The Narrows
Fear Strikes Out (Anthony Perkins)
The Edge of Love
Drillbit Taylor
Dead Again
Then She Found Me
Married Life (Pierce Brosnan)

JohnIan 11-02-10 01:07 AM

the keepcase is thicker and has a bookcase style slipcover and lists the contents of disc 1 and disc 2 on the back cover
The name of that case is "Alpha". I hate those. You have to pry the disc out. It's designed to necessitate you putting your finger under to disc to get it out = built in scratchry; planned obsoleteness. You can remove the disc without fingering, but it's a pain.

Anyhow, picked up "Three Violent People", blind buy.

PopcornBandit 11-02-10 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by JohnIan (Post 10467237)
The name of that case is "Alpha". I hate those. You have to pry the disc out. It's designed to necessitate you putting your finger under to disc to get it out = built in scratchry; planned obsoleteness. You can remove the disc without fingering, but it's a pain.

This. I bought the two-discer at Big Lots for $3 also and I snapped disc one in half when I tried to pry it out. Luckily, I have the blu-ray and only bought the DVD set for the second disc. Be careful when getting the disc out though.

JohnIan 11-02-10 11:21 AM

What I do with Alpha's is to squeeze in both nubs in the center and lift with my other hand, fingering the edge, horizontally; pop it out. Sometimes it can hurt, the damn disc is locked in there. I have yet to have a one break in half, but I can see that happening.

hasslein 11-02-10 12:23 PM

Found Cannon season 2 vol 1 as well.

Has anyone seen Big Top Pee-wee that wasn't I love the 80's version? I hate those. Found a few copies of Falling in Love that weren't.

Also, does anyone's copy of Bug have an insert? Will Penny is the only film in this batch that I've found that has one.

byriver50 11-02-10 12:32 PM

Lipstick had an insert and I believe my Racing With The Moon did too.

I hear you on the "I Love the 80's" packaging. "Reds" and "Ordinary People" somehow don't seem quite as dignified that way. A $3 pricetag and wanting to have them right then and there overruled.

rmw650 11-02-10 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by hasslein (Post 10467916)
Found Cannon season 2 vol 1 as well.

Has anyone seen Big Top Pee-wee that wasn't I love the 80's version? I hate those. Found a few copies of Falling in Love that weren't.

Also, does anyone's copy of Bug have an insert? Will Penny is the only film in this batch that I've found that has one.

I'm impressed you managed to find a TV show in that stack at Big Lots. Maybe we'll be seeing more TV shows/series in the coming weeks or months time.

mr Articulate 11-02-10 06:48 PM

Add these to the list of titles spotted:

$5
V for Vendetta
$3
And Justice for All (SE) (Dave Grusin music)
Hollywood Ending (Woody Allen)
Racing with the Moon (early Nic Cage and Sean Penn, Dave Grusin music)
Will Penny (Chuck Heston and introducing Lee Majors)
Falling in Love (Dave Grusin music)

It seemed to be a Dave Grusin day.

fiendish thingy 11-02-10 11:07 PM

It's been a long, long dry spell out here in Silicon Valley; Even with 5 BL stores in my area, for the past few months I've frequently left BL with just 1 or 2 DVD's, or more often, none.

That changed today- at the Santa Clara BL, I scored the following:

Bang The Drum Slowly - DeNiro
The Good Life - Zooey Deschanel (my daughter's a big She & Him fan)
$(Dollars)
Phoebe In Wonderland
Wayne's World
Mommie Dearest ($5)
Malcom X
Bad Company - Jeff Bridges 1972
Dogma - 2 disc Special Edition
To Catch a Thief - $5
Atlantic City
A New Kind of Love - Newman/Woodward
Beavis & Butthead do America
Darling Lili - J. Andrews ($5)
Bigtop PeeWee
Soap Dish

Hopefully, this is just the beginning of a seasonal flood...

Vlyger 11-02-10 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by mr Articulate (Post 10468906)
Add these to the list of titles spotted:

$5
V for Vendetta

Full-screen or Widescreen?

mr Articulate 11-03-10 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Vlyger (Post 10469646)
Full-screen or Widescreen?

Widescreen

jimac51 11-03-10 04:14 PM

Thanks to the many posters and the time taken with such lists. I've recently found the Chuck Jones Collection and Bang the Drum Slowly from info posted here. It took two trips,and oddly enough both titles from the BL closest to me,but I quickly found them. And it appeared the only copies at the time of discovery. Two great finds that will not be traded.

TheNightFlier 11-03-10 04:44 PM

The West Babylon store had the usual stuff. Didn't see any of the good $5 titles posted here.

valhalla7 11-03-10 05:49 PM

Found Bridge/River Kwai 2 disc today, the item that was on my most wanted list. But also found a Richard Burton WWII film called "Bitter Victory" with the caption of the top front stating "Columbia Pictures Combat Classics". Anyone seen any other fims from this collection @ BL and does anyone know of any other titles in the series? I did a quick search (I'm at work so I can't devote as much time as I'd like to it) but turned up empty. I've pretty much been regulated to WWII and Sci FI dvd's by the matrimonial unit as I've been a very bad, bad boy in the plastic money department lately. Thanks in advance

Drake 11-03-10 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by valhalla7 (Post 10471327)
Found Bridge/River Kwai 2 disc today, the item that was on my most wanted list. But also found a Richard Burton WWII film called "Bitter Victory" with the caption of the top front stating "Columbia Pictures Combat Classics". Anyone seen any other fims from this collection @ BL and does anyone know of any other titles in the series? I did a quick search (I'm at work so I can't devote as much time as I'd like to it) but turned up empty. I've pretty much been regulated to WWII and Sci FI dvd's by the matrimonial unit as I've been a very bad, bad boy in the plastic money department lately. Thanks in advance

I bought "Bitter Victory" last year at BL for $3, the one I bought had different artwork.

That'sAllFolks 11-03-10 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by valhalla7 (Post 10471327)
Found Bridge/River Kwai 2 disc today,

Anyone know the difference between the LE and the CE?

MooMooMooMoo 11-03-10 08:57 PM

Kent, wa got a very nice & large $3 batch today. Only quality titles posted here recently I DIDN'T see are Das Boot, Mommie Dearest & the rare Julie Andrews (they also have the $5 selection) & there was some Bogart film mentioned here I didn't see, don't remember which.

BobO'Link 11-03-10 10:08 PM

Got an email for a new ad featuring Christmas titles at $3 & $5 each. Here's a link to the PDF list of titles.

Jon Hertzberg 11-04-10 10:56 AM

Last week at the Clifton, NJ store, I picked up, for $3 each:

$ (DOLLARS)
CASUALTIES OF WAR (Extended Cut)
IT'S ALL TRUE
HUSTLE
EXORCIST II
THE BAD NEWS BEARS (original film)
BAD COMPANY (1972)
WE WERE STRANGERS

MrE 11-04-10 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks (Post 10471494)
Anyone know the difference between the LE and the CE?

Try here:

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=150

That'sAllFolks 11-04-10 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by MrE (Post 10472551)

The U.S. CE is not listed. I don't think anybody has updated DVD Compare in a long time.

SterlingBen 11-04-10 01:58 PM

Hay anyone tried their furniture? I am moving and thinking about using my 20% coupon on a bed, a table, a couch and maybe some shelves...

Opinions?

boc4ever 11-04-10 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen (Post 10472861)
Hay anyone tried their furniture? I am moving and thinking about using my 20% coupon on a bed, a table, a couch and maybe some shelves...

Opinions?

I bought a big cloth puffy rocker/recliner chair for $249 back in 2005. I finally tossed it this year. I would categorize it as "better than average" quality. And to be honest, I really thought it was pretty good in general. My kids and dogs pulled the arms off so it wasn't really the chairs fault. Otherwise, I would have probably gotten at least another 5 years out of it.

valhalla7 11-04-10 04:34 PM

Opinions?

Their 5 shelf bookcases are great for storing dvds ;-). And that DVDcompare site is a great site, thanks for pointing that out!!

jimac51 11-04-10 10:01 PM

Opinions?

KD(knocked down)furniture(you assemble it with a screwdriver,a cup of coffee and a bottle of Advil)can be good,better or best. Shelves that only have pegs are crap and will not hold weight. Use the 20% wisely and buy the best stuff they have. The puffier the couch/chair,the crappier it is(look for some wood or metal in the back for support). Bedding is a problem everywhere since so much of even high end stuff nowadays is built to fail(and second hand is not a choice). If you lived near an IKEA you wouldn't think about BL.

mitch079 11-04-10 10:12 PM

Found these last weekend:

$5
The Desperate Hours
The Weather Man
The Trouble With Harry
Risky Business 25th Anniversary (cheaper @ Best Buy)

$3
Michael Collins
Match Point
Bang the Drum Slowly
Fear Strikes Out
Evening
Dummy
One Day in September

Alan Smithee 11-04-10 11:22 PM

Just got the Chuck Jones disc for 5 bucks at Target- it's in a separate section with kids' DVDs, closer to the food.

MooMooMooMoo 11-05-10 01:57 AM

Love their dvd shelving units for $30.

djskyler 11-05-10 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 10471761)
Got an email for a new ad featuring Christmas titles at $3 & $5 each. Here's a link to the PDF list of titles.

Thanks for that list! I don't know how they qualify as "holiday" but happy to see those Three Stooges full-length features in the $3 category. These are perfect for us completionists who collected all the shorts box sets:
The Outlaws is Coming (1965)
Stop, Look and Laugh! (compilation feature, 1960)
The Three Stooges in Orbit (1962)

In the $5 category, I will have to say I was pleased to find Richie Rich's Christmas Wish fairly faithful to the spirit of the comic book. Likewise, The Munsters' Scary Little Christmas was an excellent revival that rang true to the original series (unlike that crappy shot-on-video 80's version).

mike07 11-05-10 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 10473976)
Love their dvd shelving units for $30.

These are better and used to be $30, now they're $40. :( This increase in price has caused me to just build my own (using plain plywood, I can make a larger DVD shelf for about $20) - but it seems like I've been running out of space constantly!

styl3s 11-05-10 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by supermike07 (Post 10474192)
These are better and used to be $30, now they're $40. :( This increase in price has caused me to just build my own (using plain plywood, I can make a larger DVD shelf for about $20) - but it seems like I've been running out of space constantly!

you would rather spend all that time and labor instead of coughing up an extra 10$? have you ever built a shelf? im talking about a full blown job not a tacky one, it's a good amount of labor.. imo coughing up 40$ is a steal compared to that kind of work.

MooMooMooMoo 11-05-10 02:45 PM

Pearl Street Tacoma, Wa got a very small batch of both the $3 & $5 xmas titles including 3 of the Stooges sets. More importantly, turned out they held back 1 full pallet display of the Paramount $5 until quite recently, & currently have all the quality $5 titles that have been mentioned here. My only gripe is that I'd be much happier if they were $3, & would have bought lots more!

SterlingBen 11-05-10 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by jimac51 (Post 10473697)
KD(knocked down)furniture(you assemble it with a screwdriver,a cup of coffee and a bottle of Advil)can be good,better or best. Shelves that only have pegs are crap and will not hold weight. Use the 20% wisely and buy the best stuff they have. The puffier the couch/chair,the crappier it is(look for some wood or metal in the back for support). Bedding is a problem everywhere since so much of even high end stuff nowadays is built to fail(and second hand is not a choice). If you lived near an IKEA you wouldn't think about BL.

IKEA would be optimal but unfortunately I would have to go the next state over to get to one. If they did deliveries in a 3 hour radius it might be worth it. So you are recommending against those super comfy $300 couches they have?

Shawerma 11-05-10 05:12 PM

got

internal affairs(gere, garcia) $5
Bringing out the dead $3
revolutionary Road $5

saw

alfie(2004)
casualties of war
the man without a face
things we lost in the fire
strangers on a train 2 disc
to catch a thief
the trouble with harry
racing with the moon
only you
hollywood ending
son of rambow
pewey herman i love the 80s
cousins

jimac51 11-05-10 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen (Post 10474990)
IKEA would be optimal but unfortunately I would have to go the next state over to get to one. If they did deliveries in a 3 hour radius it might be worth it. So you are recommending against those super comfy $300 couches they have?

$300 for a piece of furniture that will last 5 years is no bargain. Also,furniture isn't supposed to feel like sitting on pillows;you will flatten that out in minutes.Now,I was fortunate two years ago.A small Pa. chain,Choice Seating, sold Norwalk furniture,one of the last good US made companies. Union troubles and the local guy decides to belly up. Real floor model pieces,US union made,a chair and a sofa,$350. After two years,still going strong. I had a Norwalk sleeper sofa for over 15 years and just couldn't see refurnishing when the same money would buy a new sofa and chair(though we did redo the original 15 year old accompanying chair and had an ottoman custom made).