DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

AMAZON Black Friday Week Bargains

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-09, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: AMAZON Black Friday Week Bargains

Originally Posted by joe_b

Hitchcock is tempting as well, but I've heard too many horror stories about the first set being defective. I am glad to see Universal finally released another season last week.
FWIW, I bought the first season when issued and had no problem. Ditto S2. And I'm amazed at the pricing.
Old 11-29-09, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by grivet
$7.99 Buck Rogers in the 25th Century - The Complete Epic Series

Evidently amazon is tax-matching Walmart's $7.50 price.
Thanks for the heads-up. I just ordered it from Walmart. I loved this show as a kid, cheese and all.
Old 11-29-09, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by schbee
Alfred Hitchcock Presents - Season Two

Now $9.99 I was happy 2 days ago to grab it for $12.99
Thanks for posting this, I just ordered it !
Old 11-29-09, 11:00 AM

Thanks for posting these deals!

Ordered Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 2 on Amazon and
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century at Walmart.
Old 11-29-09, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting the deals on the WB GANGSTER Box Sets! I only needed Vols. 3 & 4 and I've never seen either of those cheaper anywhere else, amounting to about $4.00 per movie. The first two volumes popped up at Costco sometime ago (Vol. 2 in is original incarnation "Tough Guys Collection") for $19.99, but this is the best deal I've seen for the remaining two volumes. These are sets where I am very attracted to the individual DVD cover art as it reproduces the original posters for each film, posters that I could probably never afford. So the DVD sets represent a cheap display of some fine movie graphics in addition to the great films within. Thanks again to everyone who posted this deal!
Old 11-29-09, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Again, I don't think any of us averaging under $10 per BD are using Columbia House or similar clubs. They actually cost at least $10 per BD generally.

90% of my deals are what you said, "store coupon route or Amazon".

I don't consider myself as having 'jumped through any hoops', all these deals have been quite easy. Patience is a key of course.
It's possible to do, but I think this assumes a few things about collecting and purchasing habits, and perhaps film tastes, that may not hold true for everyone. I am about as frugal as they come, and I would like to think about as savvy when it comes to getting the best available deal. And yet, I have not quite been able to crack $10 after tax and shipping, where applicable (see below calculations for my relatively small, 21-title Blu Ray collection).

For example, I've decided never to let price sway me to buy a Blu Ray about which I am on the fence (as I have on occasion done, and regretted, with DVDs). And after having spent close to 10 years building up a DVD collection, I've decided to double-dip on only the most essential (to me) titles. So for example, when WBshop had its most recent coupon-stacking glitch, which brought shipped prices down to about $4 or $5, I owned exactly zero Blu Rays, yet I could find only 7 that I wanted from Warner's entire catalog. My tastes are somewhat specific, and I don't want to buy a decent movie just because (or even partly because) it costs $5. Whereas I think (though I could be wrong) that many of the sub-$10 averagers here bought a lot at the average-lowering WBshop sale.

At this point I've purchased almost every Blu Ray that is on my to-buy list that has been available for $10 or less. My want list is pretty short (e.g., The Nightmare Before Christmas, No Country For Old Men, North By Northwest, Casablanca, Persepolis, Let The Right One In, The Wrestler, The General, a few Criterions that I am waiting to be re-released in plastic cases, and some R2 Masters Of Cinema titles), and I don't see it helping my average any.

Anyway, here are my calculations for my entire (small) Blu Ray collection:

The Adventures of Robin Hood - $4 (WBshop, but only by stacking 5 coupons and in addition purchasing a couple boxsets to eBay to bring down )
Band of Brothers - $4 (WBshop)
Blade Runner 5-disc - $4 (WBshop)
Complete Monterey Pop - $27 (B&N)
Dark City - $4 (WBshop)
Dog Day Afternoon - $4 (WBshop)
John Adams - $4 (WBshop)
Kagemusha - $14 (B&N)
L.A. Confidential - $4 (WBshop)
Mad Men Season 1 - $15 (Amazon)
Monsoon Wedding - $14 (B&N)
Monsters, Inc. - $10 (Amazon, by purchasing together with Up and Cars and eBaying Cars, in which I have no interest)
Pierrot le fou - $14 (B&N)
Playtime - $14 (B&N)
The Prisoner - $35 (DDD)
Raging Bull - $11 (Borders gift card)
Repulsion - $14 (B&N)
The Seventh Seal - $14 (B&N)
Up - $10 (Amazon)
Wages of Fear - $14 (B&N)
Wall-E - $9 (GoHastings used)

Average price per title: $10.85
Old 11-30-09, 01:00 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

added some stuff on top of my last list:

Kickboxer Blu-Ray $7.99
Ultimate Avengers Blu-Ray $7.99
V for Vendetta Blu-Ray $7.99
The Critic complete series $14.99
Fanboys DVD $3.99

Grabbing a few of the warner titles that are on sale and then i am done for the year, time to watch everything i have not had a chance to and with this huge week and month, i have enough to keep me busy for a long long time.
Old 11-30-09, 05:21 PM

Just received my order ( ordered Thanksgiving ) from Amazon. Very impressive for free shipping !

My last free shipping order from deep discount took 14 days to receive.
Old 11-30-09, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by brizz
dammit...my wife is a TCM addict and still only has the first FH set...been waiting for a reason to pick up 2 and now i find out there's a 3rd one now!??!?!? dammit!
I highly recommended the 3rd one, they are all Will Wellman films and are very good.
Old 11-30-09, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by TANK
Just received my order ( ordered Thanksgiving ) from Amazon. Very impressive for free shipping !

My last free shipping order from deep discount took 14 days to receive.
That's nice. I'm using the free month trial of prime. I've had 6 orders in "shipping soon" status since Friday-Saturday. None have shipped as of today. I'm glad I'm not paying for prime considering how pointless it is. 2-day shipping my ass. My items were in stock too. I can't believe people pay $79 a year for this.
Old 11-30-09, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by marald
That's nice. I'm using the free month trial of prime. I've had 6 orders in "shipping soon" status since Friday-Saturday. None have shipped as of today. I'm glad I'm not paying for prime considering how pointless it is. 2-day shipping my ass. My items were in stock too. I can't believe people pay $79 a year for this.
I'm actually tempted to pay $79 a year. All of my orders came today, which is a day earlier than I expected. IMO, Prime is definitely worth the $$$ only if you spend a lot of $$$ on Amazon. There's no point if you're only buying like 5 products a year.
Old 11-30-09, 07:08 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I for one will be getting Prime for the year, I got 12 packages today. I think i waste more money because i always throw in a DVD for $5 or so to get free shipping at Amazon, and as of late their free shipping has been slacking. Plus, when they run deals and have movies for $5.79 - free 2 day shipping will come in handy. Not to mention the small fee to upgrade to next day shipping (ordered a blu-ray player for $3.99 extra to ship next day air)

Props to Amazon!
Old 11-30-09, 07:12 PM

I've got Prime free for a month and I love it, all of my orders have shipped on time. I would never pay for it but I love having it for free.
Old 11-30-09, 08:36 PM

As I was typing a response that I too had placed an order for 16 items on 11-26 all listed as in stock but had not yet shipped, I checked Amazon and saw my items have now been shipped. Apparently going next day via OnTrac to make Amazon's 12-01 delivery estimate. Pat on the back to them.
Old 11-30-09, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by i86time
As I was typing a response that I too had placed an order for 16 items on 11-26 all listed as in stock but had not yet shipped, I checked Amazon and saw my items have now been shipped. Apparently going next day via OnTrac to make Amazon's 12-01 delivery estimate. Pat on the back to them.
I guess some people get lucky with Amazon. Not me though.
Old 12-01-09, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess some people get lucky with Amazon. Not me though.
As a paying Prime member for three years, I have to say this situation is highly unusual. I don't think I've ever had orders sit in shipping soon status for that long. Strange.
Old 12-01-09, 04:02 AM

Marald, I had Braveheart stuck on shipping soon with a delivery estimate it didn't look like they were going to be able to keep, but then it just magically showed up. Perhaps they're just not getting the status updated on time.
Old 12-01-09, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by The Reaper
Marald, I had Braveheart stuck on shipping soon with a delivery estimate it didn't look like they were going to be able to keep, but then it just magically showed up. Perhaps they're just not getting the status updated on time.
I think this was the case. I got shipped notice's this morning with delivery today but tracking shows they actually shipped yesterday afternoon.
Old 12-01-09, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cool Ghoul
I've got Prime free for a month and I love it, all of my orders have shipped on time. I would never pay for it but I love having it for free.
Same here. All but one of my orders have shipped. Yesterday I received 7 UPS packages, including my Raging Bull, Gladiator, Braveheart, and Ice Age 3 from Amazon...
Old 12-01-09, 01:17 PM

Wow, I placed 6 orders last week for 25 blu rays (some 3 packs & the James Bond 10 pack) over the course of 2 or 3 days. They shipped them out on Sunday and I received them today (1st) instead of the (3rd).

But the good thing was they shipped them all together. I was thinking they would be separate packages, which would cost them more to ship and then they would have to raise prices in the future because of that waste. But they got smart, waited a couple of days for the orders to die down and then shipped out everything in stock at the same time.

Oh and I was able to get each order over $25 to get free shipping on everything. I will never pay for Prime, because I don't always order this many items. I have 2 things in my cart now and I'm waiting for a 3rd item to put in. I'm also hoping that the 2 blu rays don't go up in price!

Chris
Old 12-01-09, 02:30 PM

I got emails today saying that Iron Man and Smallville Season 8 are delayed "due to extreme weather conditions or an unforeseen natural event".
Old 12-01-09, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

and its not even 2012 yet
Old 12-01-09, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by philip74
and its not even 2012 yet
Oooh, is that out yet on Blu Ray?

Chris
Old 12-01-09, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
But the good thing was they shipped them all together. I was thinking they would be separate packages, which would cost them more to ship and then they would have to raise prices in the future because of that waste. But they got smart, waited a couple of days for the orders to die down and then shipped out everything in stock at the same time.

Chris
I got freaked out when the UPS man dropped by and only gave me 3 boxes. I kept asking him if there were any more. They combined 4 different orders into one package. I would have done it myself, but on Black Friday, you couldn't go in and combine different orders no matter how soon you went back into the account after placing it. I'm glad they did it this way.
Old 12-01-09, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by twa2
I got emails today saying that Iron Man and Smallville Season 8 are delayed "due to extreme weather conditions or an unforeseen natural event".

I cancelled my Smallville S8 at Amazon b/c I got it at BB. I then decided I wanted the Amz order too. So I emailed them and they said to reeorder it and they would PM it back to 9.99. The order immediately went into shipping, so they had to refund the difference. Guess if you pay more, you get your product faster!

Also does anyone know how to check "My goldbox". I go to the goldbox page and see nothing. How do you know if a product is in "My Goldbox". I was trying to get the Farscape set for 55.09 (like someone else on the forum did). I'm sure it's a huge YMMV.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.