Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 5

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-09, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 5

I guess I'll try and hit the store again tommorow. I'm wondering what the store hours are. I can't seem to find them on the official website and even a google search didn't help me out. I know they close earlier on Sunday, but I'm not sure when they open.
Old 07-18-09, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by s72450
I guess I'll try and hit the store again tommorow. I'm wondering what the store hours are. I can't seem to find them on the official website and even a google search didn't help me out. I know they close earlier on Sunday, but I'm not sure when they open.
Sunday hours are typically (based on the stores I frequent) 10 am - 6 pm. However, tomorrow night is a Friends & Family night and 20% off coupons have been distributed in person/via e-mail for use between 5 pm & 9 pm.
Old 07-18-09, 11:29 PM
Banned

could i get the link to the 20% off coupon?
Old 07-18-09, 11:30 PM

http://www.biglots.com/store_locator_adv.aspx

This page shows most stores being open 10-6 on Sunday, but I believe they are open later tomorrow because of Friends & Family night.
Old 07-18-09, 11:37 PM

Thanks! I'll probably hit Big Lots and then head over to the movie theater for a early showing of Harry Potter.
Old 07-19-09, 12:09 AM

Thanks! I'll probably hit Big Lots and then head over to the movie theater for a early showing of Harry Potter.
Whoa. This is my EXACT plan for 2morrow lol.
Old 07-19-09, 12:17 AM

I have movie bucks that I got from WalMart's re-release of the HP films so I might as well put them to good use even though I already saw HP on opening night. It's worth a second viewing though I think.
Old 07-19-09, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Seen a bunch of Wonder Woman Season 3s at multiple stores, but no complete set or 1 or 2 by themselves. Will probably grab whatever Dukes of Hazzard seasons there are tomorrow with the coupon- I already got #2 last week and had to watch a couple episodes right away because one side of one disc looked defective, but it turned out to be OK. It's as insanely stupid as I remember, but hella lot more entertaining now.

I already got the theatrical version of Empire Records before it went out of print- I liked it enough to want to get the extended version but I'm afraid they'll end up putting out a Blu-Ray disc later with both versions on it- same for Not Another Teen Movie. My rule has been not to buy anything on regular DVD that is out or scheduled to come out on Blu-Ray, but a bunch of titles have come out that I didn't think had much of a chance.
Old 07-19-09, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

((Tri-Cities,WA))--We have not gotten any of those $3 dvd sets or those $10 box-sets as of July 18th.

So far the West Coast is a bust!
Old 07-19-09, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I posted a scan of it on the first page of this thread.
Old 07-19-09, 01:02 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DirkUSA
The Big Lots in Albany, NY on Central Ave had absolutely nothing last week. Anybody else checking this location out from time to time?

Dirk
Thanks! You just saved me a trip today. I live like, 15-20 minutes away from this location, I haven't seen anything new in awhile though, I'm planning on checking again this Tuesday. I'll post any new stuff here.

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
http://www.biglots.com/coupon/buzzclubcoupon.aspx
Old 07-19-09, 02:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by troubleman
Hi, everyone! I'm a newbie who loves this site!

What DVD box sets that are $3 and $10 have those of you in Virginia found in Big Lots, and in what location? I haven't seen any of them in Richmond.
Welcome to the madness!

Which stores did you hit in Richmond, VA? I mapped out a plan to hit the 6 main stores in the area soon (from D.C.) but if they don't have much I may scrap it for now.

There have been sporadic $3 boxes found at Woodbridge and Sterling and some more at District Heights, MD. No $10 sets in the area that I've come across.

Last edited by cracksky; 07-19-09 at 03:18 AM.
Old 07-19-09, 03:11 AM
Banned

Decided to drive a bit north and finally hit paydirt in my area. Here's what I bought:

Tales/Crypt S2, 3, 4, 5
Advs./Superman S1, 5/6
Tracy Takes On S1, 2
Flintstones S1 (sealed)
Wacky Races Complete
Dastardly & Muttley Complete
Top Cat Complete
Wait Till Your Father Gets Home S1
Larry King Greatest Interviews
Sam Kinison Unleashed
Spaghetti Westerns 20 Movie Pack (Mill Creek)
Romper Stomper (2-Disc Unrated Double Amaray Case)
Rock 'n' Roll High School (Slingshot SE)
Broken Flowers (WS 2-fer w/LiT)
Lost In Translation (WS 2-fer w/BF) (Single copies were Full Screen)

They had 4 or 5 racks stuffed with everything but the $10 sets it seems. They also had Lois & Clark, Thundercats, OC, West Wing, Super Bowl ($6 sets), Scooby-Doo, more Crypt and Hanna-Barbera, Batman, Superman, Popeye V1, just tons of stuff.

Last edited by cracksky; 07-19-09 at 04:12 AM.
Old 07-19-09, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by cracksky
Decided to drive a bit north and finally hit paydirt in my area. Here's what I bought:

Tales/Crypt S2, 3, 4, 5
Advs./Superman S1, 5/6
Tracy Takes On S1, 2
Flintstones S1 (sealed)
Wacky Races Complete
Top Cat Complete
Sam Kinison Unleashed

They had 4 or 5 racks stuffed with everything but the $10 sets it seems. They also had Lois & Clark, Thundercats, OC, West Wing, Super Bowl ($6 sets), Scooby-Doo, more Crypt and Hanna-Barbera, Batman, Superman, Popeye V1, just tons of stuff.
What location was it at?

Also, how much was Wait Till Your Father Gets Home and Tracey Takes On?

Finally were the ThunderCats the 6 disc set or 2 disc sets?
Old 07-19-09, 05:07 AM

Curious to get people's thoughts..................I was thinking of bringing back Wait Till Your Father Gets Home since I never saw it and picked up the last copy (the only copy I have seen in 12+ stores).

Is it worth keeping? I only bought it since it was the only Hanna-Barbara set I have come across. Just curious what you guys think on the show?
Old 07-19-09, 05:25 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by cracksky

Tales/Crypt S2, 3, 4, 5
Advs./Superman S1, 5/6
Tracy Takes On S1, 2
Flintstones S1 (sealed)
Wacky Races Complete
Top Cat Complete
Sam Kinison Unleashed

Cracksky, may I know which store(s) you went to? Did you ever hit District Heights MD ?Thanks.
Old 07-19-09, 05:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by doctaheath78
What location was it at?

Also, how much was Wait Till Your Father Gets Home and Tracey Takes On?

Finally were the ThunderCats the 6 disc set or 2 disc sets?
The bulk were at Glen Burnie, MD.

Till Your Father and Tracey were $6. each.

Thundercats were in 2-tone slipcases (black/red, S2 V1, etc...). I don't know enough about them to know the 6's apart from the 2's from memory.

District Heights, MD is where I found the S1 Flintstones (sealed) and Romper Stomper SE.

I have very fond memories of Wait Till Your Father Gets Home. Can't wait to check it out again. The theme song popped right back into my head on the drive back home.

Last edited by cracksky; 07-19-09 at 05:57 AM.
Old 07-19-09, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by doctaheath78
Curious to get people's thoughts..................I was thinking of bringing back Wait Till Your Father Gets Home since I never saw it and picked up the last copy (the only copy I have seen in 12+ stores).

Is it worth keeping? I only bought it since it was the only Hanna-Barbara set I have come across. Just curious what you guys think on the show?
It was a really odd show, short of Hanna Barberra's attempt to do a topical family comedy along the lines of ALL IN THE FAMILY. I would expect it's very dated now, but that's part of its charm.

If you don't want it, it seems to be one of the rarer and in-demand titles, so you might want to check out the trading thread and consider swapping it with another DVD Talker. I bought a copy too and am trying to decide whether to keep it or trade it.
Old 07-19-09, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by melih69
I went to 7 Big Lots! In St. Louis and Metro East area today (Actually 8 but the last one was closed down) (AM I HOLDING THE DVDTALK RECORD LOL) and got some stuff from 3 stores and nothing really interesting at other 4 stores.

Good luck and Happy Hunting to all of you.
Thanks for the rundown on St Louis. It pretty much corresponds to my findings, except I didn't see any BluRays when I hit Kingshwy at noon yesterday.

The hunt continues...
Old 07-19-09, 09:38 AM

Got to the Springfield, NJ Big Lots at 10AM (opening) this morning. Another total bust, the woman working there officially confirmed that no new DVD shipments were coming in since the store is closing on August 31st. I figured with the 20% off sale I better leave with something so I only left with "Living in Oblivion" for $2.75, not bad at all, but not at all what I had in mind for today.

Last edited by Kenny22; 07-19-09 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-19-09, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by ADP
Is selling dvd's to FYE that popular or profitable?

I have never liked shopping in FYE due to the fact of their high prices, extremely high.

I have noticed their used items are as high as new internet orders on same item.

If FYE is seeing the same dvd's showing up in their stores in large quantities looks like they would stop buying or get wise to the situation, especially if someone is stupid enough to walk into a store with the Big Lots price tag still attached.
You are right on your latter point. After the 1st round of $6 DVDs, with the more valuable ones (trading in for $15-$30 each before 20% bonus + 25% if you take credit), you'd end up with $20-$30 store credit for each which is enough to get one of FYE's normal new releases around $20 for free. And when so many people did it across the country, FYE noticed 1-2 weeks later and chopped the prices on those sets down to $3 (or less on others). Now they haven't done it yet on the latest $3 TV seasons, but rest assured FYE will chop most of those to $3 or less too.

Last time I grabbed a few extras of the more valuable sets with plans either to trade to FYE or to trade to DVD Talk members for other series/seasons I didn't get, I got viciously attacked by the anti-capitalists that frequent this forum. Interestingly, the numerous others who posted they actually did the same thing (I never had time to get to FYE and never did it) did NOT get attacked. So I decided not to trade my extra copies on DVD Talk because there are enough vicious people here I don't want to risk my trades. Instead I will return them to Big Lots for a full refund or give them to family as gifts.

Yes, FYE is normally too expensive, but occasionally they have sales or offer enough on some DVDs to make it worthwhile. Most of the time if I take a DVD I bought for $5 and want to trade it in, FYE will give me $1. That's OK with the anti-caps on this forum (because I'm losing money and getting hurt), but if I were to trade in a DVD I bought for $6 (whether from Big Lots or Best Buy) and FYE gave me $30 for it, the anti-caps would already be waiting for me outside the store with ropes wrapped over the nearest tree branch for a good old fashioned lynching. They feel bold now that they are in power and control all 3 branches of government.

Last edited by Manzana; 07-19-09 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-19-09, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Herzog4Life
Don't know if anyone posted this, but didn't see it. Picked up 2 copies of wait for it... Wonder Woman: The Complete Series. 6 bucks a pop...talk about a steal.

Hope they have that Looney Toons set tomorrow
I wonder if the "Wonder Woman Complete Collection/Series" is easier to find than the individual seasons? Because, looking at secondspin.com they pay more at the moment for individual seasons than the complete set! Right now, they offer $3.00 for the Complete Collection. But, Season one they pay $6.00 and Season two they pay $8.00 and Season three they pay $4.00!
http://www.secondspin.com/search.jsp....x=8&image.y=3

Last edited by Keith123; 07-19-09 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-19-09, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My Big Lots finally got the $10 stuff.... I only picked up America's game but they had Roots, Kubrick (already own it) & whatever else.... Plus they had all that animated stuff but I don't like that stuff.... Still no Wonder Women complete or BRs....

I also picked up:

Little Shop of Horrors (Legend/Colored version)
Unstoppable
Quick Change
A Stranger is Watching
Murphy Brown season 1
Larry King live: The Greatest interviews

They also had stuff like Tales from the Crypt & Lois and Clark but I already own them.

Last edited by Torchur317; 07-19-09 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-19-09, 11:56 AM
Cool New Member

I went to two Big Lots today looking for Tales from the Crypt and came up empty at both. I'm really hoping I can find at least a couple seasons somewhere.
Old 07-19-09, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I paid full retail for all seasons of Tales from the Crypt, bought them all first day....
So this deal kills me & makes me wish I waited on them....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.