Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) DeepDiscount Official Notice: 25% Off from 7/17 Through 8/2, 2009

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-09, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: DeepDiscount Official Notice: 25% Off Sale Runs From July 17 Through August 2, 20

1 dvd on my list just went down $2!!! OMG I beat the conspiracy!!!
Old 07-07-09, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: DeepDiscount Official Notice: 25% Off Sale Runs From July 17 Through August 2, 20

Originally Posted by astru
I have been on this forum and other DVD-related forums before you knew what a DVD is, when Reel was the most discussed place on these forums and CDNow the most popular Web site.
Wow, I'm so sorry. I didn't realize you were an internet VIP. You should have said so in the beginning. Please don't call the internet police on me.
Old 07-07-09, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Cheato, when did you first find out what a DVD was? I'm just trying to put together a timeline.
Old 07-07-09, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic Films
Uh so its more important to prove that they raise prices before the sale than to get a bargain? To each his own. I'd rather get a bargain.
If it can end the bickering, yes.
Old 07-07-09, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by trondmm
If it can end the bickering, yes.
You're so cute.
Old 07-07-09, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cheato
You're so cute.
Thanks! You're lovely, too.

Seriously, though. I find the notion that DeepDiscount are doing massive research to find out what their customers wants to buy, and then raise the prices of these titles, so they can guarantee that nobody actually buys anything, absolutely ludicrus.

BTW: I'm also filling up my deepdiscount wishlist with titles I intend to buy during the sale. This will make it even easier for them to crush my hopes of getting a bargain.
Old 07-07-09, 11:34 AM

If I was DD I would. If 10,000 (just an example) people have the BSG Blue-Ray box set in their wish list. Raise the price $2.50. That's an easy $25,000 with the flick of a switch.

It's not difficult to get software to add up all the wish lists and determine which DVDs, etc... are the most "wished for".

James
Old 07-07-09, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

This thread is a hoot.
Old 07-07-09, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are the odds the Ford/Wayne set stays at $31 for the sale? Probably 0 but I can hope!
Old 07-07-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,684 Likes on 2,650 Posts

This argument on whether or not DD is jacking up their prices is absurd IMO. Just use your own judgment as a consumer whether or not the discount taken off their price is a "good price" for you and is affordable to you.
Old 07-07-09, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
This argument on whether or not DD is jacking up their prices is absurd IMO. Just use your own judgment as a consumer whether or not the discount taken off their price is a "good price" for you and is affordable to you.
Exactly! Right now I'm holding hard and fast to a 50% discount off the MSRP for any dvd I purchase. There's no doubt that if I'm patient I can get anything I want for that discount at some point (usually within a few months, surely within a year).

A few of the items in my wishlist have increased by a dollar since I started keeping track a week or so back. If those titles don't increase any more in the next week or so, I can still make my 50% discount. That's what I'll do if they hold. If not, no big deal. I'll just wait for another sale from either DD or another online site. It's that simple.
Old 07-07-09, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bsmith
How do you know those examples were below cost? I would assume that Amazon made some small margin of profit on those titles or at least broke even. My guess is that those prices were do to the studio providing incentives to Amazon that allowed them to sell them for cheaper, thus lowering Amazon's cost (i.e., not below cost).
If you really think that Amazon broke even on selling $35 MSRP BDs for $4.99, shipped, there isn't much I can say. Yes, there were manufacturer's incentives used, two deals that stacked. Then Amazon — or the studio — spotted what was going on and eliminated one of the deals.

The point I was trying to make was not that stores sometimes sell merchandise below cost as "loss leaders" or to clear out stock — they do — but, rather, to point out that very good sale prices can be found by those willing to wait for them. $4.99 (or $7 to $10) for recently released Blu-ray Discs is a good deal (people here hyperventilate over BDs priced at $15 to $20). Silverscreenvid implied that those of us who wait for such exceptional deals are foolish. I disagree. Excluding sets and gifts, my average cost of BDs is currently $8.31. It can be done.

I've got several BDs in my DD wish list. For now, even with 25% off the price would be too high for me to pull the trigger. I'll wait and hope for better deals to come. It's not as if I don't have a lot of other discs to watch!
Old 07-07-09, 12:44 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

^ Yep, good deals are there for the patient. I'm currently at about 120 BDs for about $7 per. I don't even consider a BD until it is $10 or less nowadays.
Old 07-07-09, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I will share my rule(s) for purchases.... which has nothing to do with MSRP, a % discount, etc... I basically decide a max price I will pay for movies, multi-disc upgraded movies (not just digital copy, lol), box sets, or tv series.... when a title I want drops below that amount, and I have the $$ to purchase, I do... If they stay above that amount... then I don't own them.... so..... whether the price goes up or down or whatever before this sale is of no consiquence... if the price is right for me and I can make the purchase, I do.... btw... this applies to most items I purchase (execpt maybe food)...
Old 07-07-09, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
^ Yep, good deals are there for the patient. I'm currently at about 120 BDs for about $7 per. I don't even consider a BD until it is $10 or less nowadays.
Amen to that. I may pull the trigger if some are around $12, but other than that my BD Wish List just keeps getting larger and larger until there are some decent deals (2 for 1 where are you??) I'm in no hurry.

I may pick up the Battlestar Galactica Complete Series. I tried watching it season 1 and couldn't get into it, I'm going to give it another shot.
Old 07-07-09, 01:08 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow...there are a hell of a lot of ungrateful people here...
They don't have to have ANY sales...I believe DD is second only to Amazon, so they don't need the buisness. Its a nice thing they do and it gets them a lot of press. If you don't like the price, don't buy from them. I've gotten great deals from them over the years, both during the sale and with their regular prices.
Old 07-07-09, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by b2net
I will share my rule(s) for purchases.... which has nothing to do with MSRP, a % discount, etc... I basically decide a max price I will pay for movies, multi-disc upgraded movies (not just digital copy, lol), box sets, or tv series.... when a title I want drops below that amount, and I have the $$ to purchase, I do... If they stay above that amount... then I don't own them.... so..... whether the price goes up or down or whatever before this sale is of no consiquence... if the price is right for me and I can make the purchase, I do.... btw... this applies to most items I purchase (execpt maybe food)...
Is there a thread discussing people's strategies and their thought processes concerning bargains and purchases? I find it very interesting how and why people buy, and also to rethink my own purchasing choices at times.

ON topic: i am completely convinced DD has angry laser monkeys, who do nothing all day, but check people's wishlists and raise prices accordingly. I don't think they are sophisticated enough to employ some sort of algorithm or wishlist crawler. It seems to happen too often to discount, pardon the pun.
Old 07-07-09, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
ON topic: i am completely convinced DD has angry laser monkeys, who do nothing all day, but check people's wishlists and raise prices accordingly.
That's why I buy from them. Their method of screwing me is so creative I feel it needs to be rewarded during the 25% off sales, er 25% off Scams.
Old 07-07-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by b2net
^ Amen! That's pretty much how I do it, too.
Old 07-07-09, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
So you guys honestly think that the patient amongst us will eventually find better deals on Criterion BDs than the DD sale? Please elaborate....
Old 07-07-09, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 363 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by kahuna
The price went back down to $69.39. I hope it stays at that price.
I just decided to buy Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection on blu-ray from a Amazon.com Market Place seller. He was selling a brand new factory sealed copy for $50 + $2.98 shipping. Just about the same price I would of paid from DD with the 25% off, if it stayed at their current price of $69.39.
Old 07-07-09, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dane
Of course, I was. I just wanted to see the reactions.

Spelling error was on purpose.
Sorry Dane! You got me...
Old 07-07-09, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

This thread is going to be 10 pages long before the sale even begins. You guys weren't kidding when you warned of all the complaining.
Old 07-07-09, 09:51 PM

This thread is the most entertaining thing currently on the Web. Regardless how the sale turns out, thanks for the entertainment.
Old 07-07-09, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 459 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Gypo66
So you guys honestly think that the patient amongst us will eventually find better deals on Criterion BDs than the DD sale? Please elaborate....

DD had a B1G1 free Criterion sale a month after last year's June sale...prices came out to be around $16 for the $39.95 list titles and around $12 for the $29.95 list titles. I am going to hold off ordering Criterion titles in this sale and wait and see if they do this again. If they don't, I will pick them up in the year end sale.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.