(DEAD) DeepDiscount Official Notice: 25% Off from 7/17 Through 8/2, 2009

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) DeepDiscount Official Notice: 25% Off from 7/17 Through 8/2, 2009

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-09, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DeepDiscount Official Notice: 25% Off Sale Runs From July 17 Through August 2, 20

Originally Posted by Cheato
Then:
1) List what they are.
2) List what the prices were before they "skyrocketed."
3) Confirm that the pre-skyrocketed prices were not atypical prices for those items at DD (in other words, not part of a pre-existing sale and/or price-match or other price reduction--relatively easy to tell, based on the % discount from the "Why Pay..?" price).
4) Order the items from Amazon.
And don't forget your Cashback from Bing (but not with Amazon).
Here are two titles for which the prices "skyrocketed" (the quotes may not even be necessary):

The Truman Show [Blu-ray Disc]
June 21: $14.36 July 5: $20.35

Zodiac [Blu-ray Disc]
June 21: $17.56 July 5: $23.85

Even with 25% off the current price, they are more expensive then they were two weeks ago. Sorry, but this is not what I think of a sale.

I am sure lots of people have other good examples.
Cheers.
Old 07-05-09, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: DeepDiscount Official Notice: 25% Off Sale Runs From July 17 Through August 2, 20

I'm only interested in 5 Criterion Blu-Rays. All are priced at $24.89 and i'll buy them if they stay at that price.

Bottle Rocket
Chungking Express
Seventh Seal
Third Man
Last Emperor
Old 07-05-09, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by astru
Here are two titles for which the prices "skyrocketed" (the quotes may not even be necessary):

Zodiac [Blu-ray Disc]

Even with 25% off the current price, they are more expensive then they were two weeks ago. Sorry, but this is not what I think of a sale.

Cheers.
Both Paramount Blu-ray releases. Surely a coincidence.
Old 07-06-09, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Zodiac [Blu-ray Disc]

Cheers.
i must have missed the part where it says this is the "25% off so that you will pay the lowest price these dvds have been sold for by anyone anywhere ever!!!"

Those were part of another sale that was a good deal...if you wanted them you should have bought them. expecting those obvious sale prices to be in effect when the NEW sale goes live is stupid.
Old 07-06-09, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here are two titles for which the prices
Sorry, but you opinion about this is only valid if the prices were consistently that low, and are then raised. If there is a temporary price reduction for some reason (price-matching, another sale, special deal from the studio/distributor), and then that ends, you have no justification for your feeling that the price should stay that low so that you can then get an ADDITIONAL price reduction. OTOH, if the price has been at a certain level for 6 months, and then suddenly increases during the sale, and then drops back again after the sale, then you have justification.

Don't be so sure. Sweeping claims without evidence just make people look foolish. Others have tried. All have failed. Has DD raised prices right before a sale and then dropped them again right after, in order to lessen or negate the discount? Definitely. Has it been across the board or on a large scale? Absolutely not. These are isolated incidents.
Old 07-06-09, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 363 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Staggerly
Star Trek the Motion Picture Collection up to $90.30. That's hilarious. Will they price match Amazon during the sale? Surely they don't count the coupon discount toward the match.
The price went back down to $69.39. I hope it stays at that price.
Old 07-06-09, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Zodiac [Blu-ray Disc]

Cheers.
This is what you decided to submit as your first post. Um..."Welcome" to the forum.
Old 07-06-09, 01:43 AM

Zodiac [Blu-ray Disc]

Cheers.

Whenever DD or anyone runs a special sale on particular items such as a "Buy 1 Get 1" sale, it's often a better sale than their 25% off sale. A lot of times those sales are limited to titles from a particular distributor (Paramount, MGM, Sony, Universal) and the distributor helps the retailer out during the promotion. They are not going to run a sale on top of a sale to price something below cost.

The 25% off sale (especially now that it's 25% off instead of 20) is without a doubt the best across-the-board sale that anyone runs, online or B&M. Nobody is ever going to have the lowest price on every single item in their inventory. If you don't like their price, wait and see if they put the items you want on sale, and if they do, you'll get a better deal. If they don't you won't.

The MSRP on Zodiac is $37, which means that street price usually runs about $25-30. Amazon has the title on sale now for $17.99, which is is pretty close to the price that DD had it on sale for. At $23.85, in two weeks with 25% off, it will cost $17.88.

So normally, this title will cost you about $25. You could have bought it two weeks ago for under $18. You can buy it right now at Amazon for under $18. You can wait two weeks and buy it from DD from under $18 again. Those all seem like pretty good deals... take your pick. If I had to guess, I'd guess that cost is around $15 for the title.

The one thing you won't be able to do, not from DD, or Amazon, or anyone is to get it below cost because you think that's a "good" sale. If you want to keep waiting until someone runs what you think is a good sale, you'll be waiting a long time.
Old 07-06-09, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My wish list:

Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection [Blu-ray Disc] $69.39
Weeds - Season 4 [Blu-ray Disc] $24.89
Mad Men - Season 2 [Blu-ray Disc] $30.89
Torchwood - Children of Earth [Blu-ray Disc] $27.54
Stargate: The Ark of Truth [Blu-ray Disc] $20.85
Godfather collection [Blu-ray Disc] $49.89

If these prices hold (before 25% off), I'll be picking up all of these. I had more on my list, but picked those up with other sales/deals.

Last edited by dan30oly; 07-13-09 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-06-09, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Zodiac [Blu-ray Disc]
Zodiac's price dropped to $14.99 in the 3rd week of June at Amazon.
Truman show is available for $14.49 at Amazon right now.
Old 07-06-09, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Had a question about Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection. Why have only 6 movies been released whereas there were 10 in original DVD edition. They've released another set which again has 3/4 movies. Is there a singular set with all the 10 movies, in works ?
Old 07-06-09, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by punit
Had a question about Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection. Why have only 6 movies been released whereas there were 10 in original DVD edition. They've released another set which again has 3/4 movies. Is there a singular set with all the 10 movies, in works ?
Because paramount are greedy pigs.
Old 07-06-09, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

It's called the Original Motion Picture collection because it's the original crew from the 60's TV series. Part 7-10 is the Next Generation crew. I believe Paramount probably thinks there are fans who only care about Kirk, Spock etc.
Old 07-06-09, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because the collection was a tie-in with the new movie that was based on the original characters (Kirk, Spock, Bones) that are also featured in these films.
Unless sales are bad for the "Original Motion Picture Collection" I'm sure the other films will get their own collection at some point in the near future, possibly when the new film arrives on video or when the sequel hits the big screen.
Old 07-06-09, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dan30oly
My wish list:

Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection [Blu-ray Disc] $69.39

If these prices hold (before 25% off), I'll be picking up all of these. I had more on my list, but picked those up with other sales/deals.
this price makes me wish that dd took used dvd's. dvdplanet's price for this is $99.36, which even with 25% off is still more expensive.
Old 07-06-09, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
Nobody is ever going to have the lowest price on every single item in their inventory.
Huh? Doesn't DeepDiscount guarantee they have the lowest price on anything they sell?

GUARANTEED LOWEST TOTAL PRICE

DeepDiscount.com guarantees offering the lowest total price on any individual, in stock, DVD, CD, Game and Book of any other online retailer of these items. If you find an individual item offered from any other online retailer at a lower total price than offered at DeepDiscount.com we will match the lower advertised price.
So your statement is incorrect in this instance. They will match any online retailer's total price PERIOD.
Old 07-06-09, 08:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Huh? Doesn't DeepDiscount guarantee they have the lowest price on anything they sell?

So your statement is incorrect in this instance. They will match any online retailer's total price PERIOD.
My take is that he was referring to the advertised price on their website, which is what most will reference when comparison shopping. But, yes they will price match after taking into consideration other cost differences (e.g., shipping and handling).
Old 07-06-09, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But they will charge you the shipping cost that the other retailer charges, even if you can combine items at the other retailer and get free shipping. And there are many other exceptions in the fine-print, too, so they won't match with Costco or Spun (even on new items), for example. The only time I ever requested a price-match with them, it took 7 days for them to get back to me, and by then the price was no longer the same at Amazon, and they wouldn't match it.
Old 07-06-09, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

I'm only interested in 5 Criterion Blu-Rays. All are priced at $24.89 and i'll buy them if they stay at that price.

Bottle Rocket
Chungking Express
Seventh Seal
Third Man
Last Emperor
Pretty much my buying will be Criterion BDs also. Let's hope they stay!
Old 07-06-09, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cheato
The only time I ever requested a price-match with them, it took 7 days for them to get back to me, and by then the price was no longer the same at Amazon, and they wouldn't match it.
Did you talk to one of their CSRs on the phone? That's really the only way to get any kind of response on an issue - they are notoriously slow/useless with regards to email exchanges.
Old 07-06-09, 09:39 AM

Even though it has been explained multiple times in a variety of ways, some still don't seem to get it, so I will try one other way of explaining it.

For places like Amazon and DD, there is the manufacturers list price, their standard discount price, and then an additional sales price. For the most part, neither Amazon nor DD sell at the manufacturers list price, but instead calculate a discounted price that keeps them competitve while still making a profit. At times they will discount further their standard discounted price with a sales price for various reasons (e.g., clearing stock, manufacturer incentives).

Both Amazon and DD will have regular sales going on throughout the year of one type or another (e.g., by genre, manufacturer, B1G1). These sales are above and beyond their standard discounted price. Some times they will have the same items on sale at the same time and other times not. Some sales are not widely publicized or as obvious on an item by item basis. As a result, without monitoring pricing of an item periodically, it may be difficult to determine what is its standard discount price vs. a discount price with an additional sales price.

While DD's 25% off price is not always the best deal you will find on an individual item throughout the year, it is the only time that practically all items are on sale at one time. As a result, they have to let all their other sales end first, which means many items will go up in price just prior to the 25% off sale since they were part of another sale. Now there may even be other cases where some prices may have to be increased or the item taken out of the sale because the profit margin may be to slim to take off another 25% from their standard discounted price.

It seems like most of the confusion comes from people matching a price point they saw of an item against the DD standard discounted price for the 25% off sale that was:
- either part of an additional sale at the time at DD or a competitor,
- is currently on sale below the standard discount at a competitor in competition with DD's 25% off sale,
- or would have been to low to make a profit on at 25% off the standard price so it had to be raised.

The sale is about getting 25% off the standard discounted price (i.e., discounted price - 25%), not to get an additional 25% off an already sales price of DD's or a competitor (i.e., discounted price - existing sales discount - 25%).

At least that's how I perceive it.
Old 07-06-09, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Did you talk to one of their CSRs on the phone? That's really the only way to get any kind of response on an issue - they are notoriously slow/useless with regards to email exchanges.
This is very true. I think I've managed to price match successfully once or twice in the last few years. A few other times I tried it became more trouble then it was worth so i just bought it from the other vendor.
Old 07-06-09, 10:28 AM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't know if it is such a good idea to mention titles you will purchase if the price doesn't increase. They have to manually change prices. If they check this thread you may be reminding them of prices that need to be changed before the sale.
Old 07-06-09, 10:48 AM

Zodiac [Blu-ray Disc]

Cheers.
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the update. I always enjoy the bitching that comes with the sale. Every year people come out of the ....... and bitch and complain. Why don't you just check prices, buy the stuff that is a good deal and enjoy your dvds. Oh, and keep an eye on the Daily Deep Deal, I bet they raise the price on that too, mayby already tomorrow...........
Old 07-06-09, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by DirkUSA
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the update. I always enjoy the bitching that comes with the sale. Every year people come out of the ....... and bitch and complain. Why don't you just check prices, buy the stuff that is a good deal and enjoy your dvds. Oh, and keep an eye on the Daily Deep Deal, I bet they raise the price on that too, mayby already tomorrow...........
Welcome to the forum ~ see how nice people are here? You can see why there are so many of us that rarely ever post - these boards are controlled by a handful of rude people (probably under 18 years old) who see fit to rip and belittle everything folks have to say.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.