Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-09, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

I was in 2 days ago and they had a sign up sayin aug 11th.

I got my PS3 from fye about a year ago as well.

I'm planning on doing one more trip in the next week in order to stock up on credit. now if only wherehouse.com has one of their free shipping and 25%-30% off on everything including preorders again, i'll be a happy camper.
Old 08-01-09, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know if you're a Backstage (AKA FYE rewards) member if you'd get more value for trade-ins?
Old 08-01-09, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sumdeus
Anyone know if you're a Backstage (AKA FYE rewards) member if you'd get more value for trade-ins?
FYI on FYE Backstage: I was told today at Newington, NH, store there's no bonus trade-in with Backstage membership only discounted purchases.

On another note, the Newington, NH, FYE is out of the trade-in bags and was told I could "purchase something and use that bag to fill up and trade-in." That really sucked. I have about 175 DVDs to trade in and was hoping to get in on this deal. Super Bitch Boss was on duty today and she told me at first the promotion was over. I questioned the pamphelts located right next to her head that said "Get an extra 20% in trade-in credit..." at which point she grabbed them and said, "I'll be right back. I was out last week." She then came back with the shit response of buy something yada yada yada...anyone have an idea if more bags are coming?
Old 08-01-09, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 240 Posts

^ sumdeus - early on in this thread I reported that one store told me I needed to make a purchase to receive one of the brown paper bags. An associate at that same store 2 weeks later said to bring in any bag and ask for the promotion and they'd give it to me. Truly a YMMV situation it appears.
Old 08-01-09, 02:21 PM
Cool New Member

The bag says on it they'll honor any bag you bring them in on...though I dunno if that means you HAVE to have the one bag already full or not.
Old 08-01-09, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
^ sumdeus - early on in this thread I reported that one store told me I needed to make a purchase to receive one of the brown paper bags. An associate at that same store 2 weeks later said to bring in any bag and ask for the promotion and they'd give it to me. Truly a YMMV situation it appears.
I think as long as I go when the Super Bitch Boss is not on duty I'll do alright, but she has been HORRIBLE to deal with as long as I can remember! I wish I went last week when she was on vacation
Old 08-01-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, it's a good thing I'm planning on going in next Friday (a weekday)... if any manager or associate tries to pull the "you must buy something" and/or "you must have one of our bags" crap on me, I'm going to declare serious and put them on the phone with corporate on the spot. I'm growing increasingly tired of dealing with managers and associates who think they can make up rules on the fly and get away with it.
Old 08-01-09, 07:06 PM
ktg

Just FYI, here was my first-time experience with this promo today.

Took about 100 DVDs in. Called first to confirm the promo was running. Initially the junior-manager-type person told me that I would first have to trade in something at the usual non-promo rate to get the "special" 20% off bag. Then she asked if I was thinking cash or store credit. Once I said store credit, she said she would just give me the bag/discount outright, without a "primer" trade-in.

About half of my disks were stuff I bought off the pre-viewed tables at Blockbuster; the rest were all things bought new.

Took them a long time to wade through my collection---more than a half-hour I'd say. Unfortunately, their system rejected maybe 40% of the DVDs as having essentially no trade-in value (shows up as one penny in their system). Those they would not buy from me. Interestingly the rejected the one and only HD-DVD in the pile, the two-disk Mission Impossible III set. I'm guessing they don't want any HD-DVDs at all. The disks they kept netted anywhere from $1.50 to $5 apiece, except for a beat-up box set of Buffy, Season 1, which got $7.50. The two promo discounts (20% bag promo, 25% store credit) were listed as extra, single totals at the end of the receipt.

I asked if it was common for people to bring in this many disks at once. The manager told me about one customer who shows up almost every week with a similar amount, apparently mostly from various Big Lots stores. Interesting since the nearest Big Lots is nearly an hour away.

The manager was completely uncertain when the promo would end, but they did have little placards boasting of the 20%/bag promo throughout the store.

Last edited by ktg; 08-01-09 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-01-09, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sign at my store says it ends August 11 as well...
Old 08-11-09, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

just called today and was told that the promo end date is Aug 11 (today) therefore YESTERDAY was the last day to take anything in...
Old 08-11-09, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by b2net
just called today and was told that the promo end date is Aug 11 (today) therefore YESTERDAY was the last day to take anything in...
Did you talk to a manager?
Because they were wrong. I just took in some stuff this afternoon for around $100 bucks in credit with the extra 20%.
Old 08-11-09, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
Did you talk to a manager?
Because they were wrong. I just took in some stuff this afternoon for around $100 bucks in credit with the extra 20%.
Second that...I left with $367 in store credit after 20% bonus today.
Old 08-12-09, 11:32 AM

Really divergent policies from the various FYE's in New Jersey.

Some require the bag, some don't. Some made me turn the bag in, some didn't. Some stores rejected certain titles (.01 cent) some gave me 2.00 for the same dvd. Some told me the promo ended Aug 8th, some the 11th. Some welcome the trade ins, some act like you're annoying them.

There are a couple of FYE's (Clifton and Rt 4 in Paramus) who would NEVER give cash. If you went early in the day, they claimed they didn't have any money, if you went late they claimed they gave too much out already.

Seems like they should all get on the same page.
Old 08-13-09, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kintnerboy
Seems like they should all get on the same page.
Unfortunately, alot of stores are like that. You can go into one Best Buy and that manager refuses to pricematch something and another store 5 miles away will. Sometimes it's a good thing though.
Old 08-13-09, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Turns out I did talk to a manager... go figure... I had some credit to burn so I went in on the 12th... I told the employees (1 an asst Manager) and they said that the person I spoke with was mistaken... I spent some time looking through the used section so I could get b3g1free and I saw a sign they forgot to remove about the extra 20%.. I asked and they said they had to honor it... I called the wife and she brought up our haul... Got the 20% extra... Bought 6 got 2 Free & 10% off to boot... but I still think the people we spoke with on the 11th were full of crap....
Old 08-13-09, 10:20 PM

I asked in the Ann Arbor, MI, store today, and somebody there told me the promotion was extended. He said the signs were no longer up because they had so few bags, but he gave me one of the bags.

I asked if it was that store only or all stores, and he said all.

[shrug]
Old 08-14-09, 12:40 AM

I went in tuesday to trade in some stuff and was told the promotion is until the end of the month, I'm glad they gave me my 2 bags back because I have some more dvds to trade in.
Old 08-15-09, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Randy Hassan
I asked in the Ann Arbor, MI, store today, and somebody there told me the promotion was extended. He said the signs were no longer up because they had so few bags, but he gave me one of the bags.

I asked if it was that store only or all stores, and he said all.

[shrug]
Well... I am about 50 miles north... and my local said... NOPE... same as stated... ended on 11th so 10th was last day... By the time I drove to yours, it would eat much of my extra from trading...
Old 08-15-09, 01:29 PM

The Adrian, MI store told me the opposite of Ann Arbor...that the promotion ended.

I called FYE customer service and left a msg (surprised to find that's all they have...no live staff on phone) asking what was up.
Old 08-15-09, 02:58 PM

I went yesterday to my local FYE and traded some more. I was initially told by the guy behind the cash register that the promotion had just ended. He said that it came down from corporate headquarters. After much discussion, he went back in the back to ask the manager if he could honor the extra 20% since I brought my stuff in one of their special brown bags and I was told by the same guy last time I was in the store that it should be running for a long time. He came back a few minutes later and said that the manager would give me the extra 20% this time, but they couldn't do it again. At least I got in on it once more, but I wish they'd just continue to run this promotion for a while.
Old 08-17-09, 02:55 PM

So does anybody know if this is over or if it was extended again?

Thanks
Shane
Old 08-17-09, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 240 Posts

^ I think from what's been described above, it's very much YMMV. You better call the store ahead of time, and even then you may receive a different answer once you get there.