Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

Old 06-20-09, 11:54 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 648
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

Went into a Sam Goody today in the mall and they had bags for the "fill the bag 20% more for your trade-in."

The bags were up at the checkout and a small DVD-sized sign on a side display near the front mentioned the sale. There were no big signs or anything like that.

I asked one of the workers what this sign was about and he fumbled around, thought for a moment and then explained saying you get 20% off when you fill a bag. Then I asked him would I bring in my stuff and then get a bag or get a bag now. He maybe you should get a bag, do you want one?

Don't think that they even knew what was going on or was just out of it.

Don't know when it ends. Figured I would not ask that since who knows what answer I would get and if it would be right - he did not seem to have a clue.
Old 06-21-09, 12:01 AM
  #2  
Member
 
mordaane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 140
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

It just means you will get 20% more in value when you trade in your used items.
Old 06-21-09, 12:55 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,652
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

Although the bag said 20% more, my store had a sign saying it is actually 45% more if you take store credit instead of cash... It ends August 11th...
Old 06-21-09, 02:05 AM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 52
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

nice, going tomorrow, do you think that this is better then selling your dvd's to secondspin??
Old 06-21-09, 08:23 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sweet Baby James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 11,587
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

Originally Posted by kenbenobi View Post
Although the bag said 20% more, my store had a sign saying it is actually 45% more if you take store credit instead of cash... It ends August 11th...
The good old brown bag promotion is back! You'll actually get 50% more if you take store credit. For example, if the item that you're trading in is worth $10, they'll give you $12.50 if you want store credit. They will then give the extra 20% on top of that which is $2.50. Your total credit would be $15.
Old 06-22-09, 10:20 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Berkley, MI
Posts: 5,683
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

Already dumped about $150 worth of stuff, working on getting rid of more.
Old 06-22-09, 12:56 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 653
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

Steebo, can you give us an idea of the value they're offering? Before I make a trip, I'd like to know how much I can expect in return.
Old 06-22-09, 02:25 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,652
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

Originally Posted by jigga6286 View Post
Steebo, can you give us an idea of the value they're offering? Before I make a trip, I'd like to know how much I can expect in return.
The prices at secondspin.com are almost always the same price you'll get in-store, without the 50% bonus added. I always check the prices there, and have only found discrepancies twice out of 50+ titles...
Old 06-22-09, 06:44 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Cardsfan111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 17,522
Likes: 0
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

Went to my closest FYE to inquire whether they had this special going on. Found out that I had to make a purchase in order to receive one of these bags. Turned out fine, since I found a $1.97 DVD to buy. On the bag, it says "Is your bag overflowing? Grab another bag, any bag and we will still honor the deal"
Old 06-22-09, 07:10 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sweet Baby James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 11,587
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
Went to my closest FYE to inquire whether they had this special going on. Found out that I had to make a purchase in order to receive one of these bags
I think that they schnookered you. If that is their new policy, then I'm a shoplifter. I saw these bags at the counter and just grabbed a couple and headed out the door. I hope that there's not a warrant out for my arrest.
Old 06-22-09, 10:42 PM
  #11  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
Went to my closest FYE to inquire whether they had this special going on. Found out that I had to make a purchase in order to receive one of these bags. Turned out fine, since I found a $1.97 DVD to buy. On the bag, it says "Is your bag overflowing? Grab another bag, any bag and we will still honor the deal"
Yeah, I work at an FYE and there is no policy that requires you to make a purchase to recieve one of those bags. They are put out for the taking.
Old 06-22-09, 11:20 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 256
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

Originally Posted by Azraelms View Post
Yeah, I work at an FYE and there is no policy that requires you to make a purchase to recieve one of those bags. They are put out for the taking.
Can you confirm that it is store policy to stack this offer with the normal 25% more for in-store credit?

(Nothing against others in this thread, just wanting to be sure).
Old 06-23-09, 12:03 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,040
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

Thanks for the heads-up, OP (and confirmations from others)!! I gotta clear off my desk anyway, and I've been stashing oodles of DVDs away waiting for the next secondspin.com 20% add-on... this is much more immediate and efficient for me! Off to pack a bag (or two... or three!) and get them over to the store!
Old 06-23-09, 07:31 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Berkley, MI
Posts: 5,683
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

Originally Posted by SpinalGuffman View Post
Can you confirm that it is store policy to stack this offer with the normal 25% more for in-store credit?

(Nothing against others in this thread, just wanting to be sure).
It has been going on for a few weeks so it is definitely confirmed.

Here is the pic of the bag:
Spoiler:

And here's more details (thanks to CAG for the initial post):
It's been a while but it looks like its that time again. FYE is currently running their brown bag deal where if you fill up their promotional bag, or any other bag with items, you get either a bonus 20% for cash or 45% for credit.

To break it down, If you have an item thats worth $15, you can bring it in the brown bag (or any other bag) and get either $18.00 for cash or $21.75 for credit.

If you are wondering how much your cd's/games/movies get at FYE, a good place to check is www.secondspin.com . Their game TIV's are usually spot on, DVD's & CD's can vary between 10-25% between Secondspin's TIV and the actual FYE TIV.
Old 06-23-09, 02:22 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 256
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

Thanks for taking the time to reply steebo777. I'm a believer now...
Old 06-23-09, 09:52 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ridley Park, PA
Posts: 380
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

I'm bringing a different bag, that to add insult to injury, isn't completely full. Wish me luck.

Question: is the trade in credit redeemable at any TransWorld store? Example: If I trade stuff in at FYE, can I use it at another mall's Suncoast? I want to trade in a video game or two and have a feeling Suncoast won't accept games or CDs... right?

Last edited by MikeDeN2K; 06-23-09 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-23-09, 10:03 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,544
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

Wish I had one of these by me.
Old 06-23-09, 11:04 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sweet Baby James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 11,587
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

Originally Posted by MikeDeN2K View Post
I'm bringing a different bag, that to add insult to injury, isn't completely full. Wish me luck.

Question: is the trade in credit redeemable at any TransWorld store? Example: If I trade stuff in at FYE, can I use it at another mall's Suncoast? I want to trade in a video game or two and have a feeling Suncoast won't accept games or CDs... right?
I know for a fact that FYE credit can be redeemed at Saturday Matinee, Coconuts, Wherehouse.com, etc. I would imagine that FYE credit can be used at any TWEC store.
Old 06-23-09, 11:55 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 653
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

Is the consensus that the better deal is to take the store credit (+45%) rather than the cash (+20%)? I usually don't shop at B&M's simply because their prices don't compete with the likes of amazon or the ddd sale, and I was thinking that ultimately I would make better use of the money from the trade-in online rather than in-store, but now I'm not so sure.
Old 06-24-09, 12:04 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,652
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

Originally Posted by jigga6286 View Post
Is the consensus that the better deal is to take the store credit (+45%) rather than the cash (+20%)? I usually don't shop at B&M's simply because their prices don't compete with the likes of amazon or the ddd sale, and I was thinking that ultimately I would make better use of the money from the trade-in online rather than in-store, but now I'm not so sure.
They have some decent sale prices for new releases, especially with rebates, but usually the best prices are at fye.com, especially when they have coupons (15% off $50 currently) + rebates... That's where I'll be spending my credit...
Old 06-24-09, 12:49 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cheyenne, WY
Posts: 781
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

So the credit is usable online as well? Does anyone know if they'll take older versions of titles, such as the old version on Sunset Blvd, not the new release?
Old 06-24-09, 02:09 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: los angeles, ca
Posts: 2,854
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

Originally Posted by vcuram View Post
So the credit is usable online as well? Does anyone know if they'll take older versions of titles, such as the old version on Sunset Blvd, not the new release?
if im not mistaken, they will take almost anything. what you get for it though, thats another story
Old 06-24-09, 10:21 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sweet Baby James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 11,587
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

Originally Posted by kenbenobi View Post
They have some decent sale prices for new releases, especially with rebates, but usually the best prices are at fye.com, especially when they have coupons (15% off $50 currently) + rebates... That's where I'll be spending my credit...
I've used the last of my FYE credit recently at wherehouse.com. They had a 20% off coupon for new or used with free shipping. The coupon was also good on pre-orders. I scored some good deals and I plan on using the credit for my upcoming trade-in at wherehouse.com.
Old 06-25-09, 01:23 PM
  #24  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 72
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: FYE. Sam Goody, Sun Coast 20% Off Additional Trade-In Bag

Originally Posted by kenbenobi View Post
The prices at secondspin.com are almost always the same price you'll get in-store, without the 50% bonus added. I always check the prices there, and have only found discrepancies twice out of 50+ titles...
I just checked there, and while I'm not surprised at the minimal amount they're willing to give for a lot of my DVDs, I'm really surprised at how much they're willing to pay for a lot of CDs that I was probably going to just throw out in a few years anyway.

Looks like I'm going to have to make a trip to the mall this weekend

Also, can anybody tell me how judgmental they are when it comes to disc condition? Does it have to be absolutely spotless, or is a little standard wear exceptable?
Old 06-25-09, 03:02 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bigjim25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: WV
Posts: 11,220
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leitmotif View Post
Also, can anybody tell me how judgmental they are when it comes to disc condition? Does it have to be absolutely spotless, or is a little standard wear exceptable?
It really depends on the manager. I took in one CD to 2 different stores and they wouldn't take it but the 3rd one did. All 3 did look at the CD. Also they are picky on the old BMG music club CDs that didn't have bar codes (the later ones did). Most won't take them because they have to type the title in the computer rather than just scanning the barcode.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.