Old 04-14-10, 01:09 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: All DVD exclusives and freebies - 5/31/09 and ongoing

4 chains checked, updates made.
Old 04-14-10, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wolfman (Special Edition 2 Disc Set) Walmart very pricey dvd exclusive($33.28) /Street date: 6/01/10

No art yet, But here is the link:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/14235257

Old 04-15-10, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by hindolio
nada at walmart this week.
Delayed thanks for this hindolio. It saved me a trip to WM last week.

For this week, 7 more chains hit, updates made.
Old 04-15-10, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you really go to all these stores just to check exclusives to update this thread? Just curious is all.. and a big thanks to you too!
Old 04-15-10, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
Do you really go to all these stores just to check exclusives to update this thread? Just curious is all.. and a big thanks to you too!
Yep. I've got it down to a science I think. Pretty much can spot any exclusives at a glance, know where to look for them and what to ask, etc.

I don't even collect them as obsessively as I used to, but it's so ingrained in my routine now that I'll probably keep doing it even if I stop buying movies entirely.

My philosophy is that forums like this take work to be stay beneficial. So many people here have saved me money and provided me entertainment over the last 11 years. Speedy and all the others who have posted weekly ad threads, Mnementh with his linked lists in all the sale threads, the people who run sheep games and drafts, the mods and admins, the various Challenge leaders, etc etc. With few exceptions, all of these people are just regular users like the rest of us, and volunteer their time to make this forum more useful for all of us. The hour or so a day I spend in maintaining the various projects I work on here is just my small part to keep this place running and helpful.

Of course, the driving around and checking all these chains is right up my alley in terms of my OCD and shopping addictions, so it's not like it's really 'work' for me. But thanks for the thanks!
Old 04-15-10, 10:22 AM

Was at a Best Buy in NYC yesterday (14th St, former Circuit City location) and noticed a standee advertising a midnight release for Avatar. The ad copy was a little ambiguous, but since missing out on the midnight exclusives for Transformers 2 and Iron Man, I'm wondering if anybody knows about any similar deal for this film? Considering how big this release could potentially be, I'm dreading the level of exclusives it could bring...
Old 04-15-10, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ajay C
...Considering how big this release could potentially be, I'm dreading the level of exclusives it could bring...
None. This release has no U.S. exclusives.
Old 04-15-10, 12:15 PM

just kidding of course, but if this was a dictatorship I'd stand firm

Originally Posted by Willo007
None. This release has no U.S. exclusives.
Doesn't matter. I won't list them, I refuse to post anything about the worst film of 2009.

Just kidding of course, but if this was a dictatorship I'd stand firm.
Old 04-15-10, 02:14 PM

FWIW, Target has a boatload of exclusive seasons of various Food Network (?) shows. Pretty sure I saw at least a dozen. Unsure if they are forever exclusives, or just another time-based thing.
Old 04-15-10, 06:11 PM

Re: just kidding of course, but if this was a dictatorship I'd stand firm

Originally Posted by Trevor
Doesn't matter. I won't list them, I refuse to post anything about the worst film of 2009.

Just kidding of course, but if this was a dictatorship I'd stand firm.

I didnt think the film was bad, but is not as good as what most people say it is.
I am a huge fan of Jim Cameron's work, but I feel the better his films do at the box office the less I like them. I didnt think that much of Titanic, but truly love his biggest box office flop, The Abyss, and think is 10 times a better film than Titanic or Avatar.

But this is just my opinion.
Old 04-15-10, 07:38 PM

Best Buy are having Midnight launch event for the Avatar release.
Old 04-15-10, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was at a Best Buy in NYC yesterday (14th St, former Circuit City location) and noticed a standee advertising a midnight release for Avatar. The ad copy was a little ambiguous, but since missing out on the midnight exclusives for Transformers 2 and Iron Man, I'm wondering if anybody knows about any similar deal for this film? Considering how big this release could potentially be, I'm dreading the level of exclusives it could bring...
id guess that bestbuys will give out a few semi-cool tchotchkes during any midnight release, like usual. prolly will have a raffle or two even.
Old 04-16-10, 06:57 AM

I thought for sure that Target would have had some kind of exclusive "head/face" packaging like they did with "Iron Man", "The Dark Knight"... or anybody for that matter to push the sales of a basically bare bones release. I've seen other countries who are offering different items i.e. steelbooks, picture cards, lenticular covers.

I guess the US will have to wait until the re-release to see anything.

Last edited by taco5; 04-16-10 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-18-10, 08:47 AM

This post will list all DVD exclusives and freebies found for the release week of 4/18/10 to 4/24/10.

New release price comparisons in their own weekly threads.

Thread "instructions" spoilered.
Spoiler:
This thread is for the posting and discussion of all DVD exclusives and freebies.

These lists will likely be incomplete until Wednesday or so, since DVDs are released on Tuesday and one of us needs to visit all the stores to confirm things.

Links to the master list and to the trade thread are below.

Volunteers needed: I regularly go to Best Buy and Target; but don't visit the other stores every week. If you work at or regularly go to the Wal-Mart, FYE/TWEC chains, Costco, Borders, K-mart/Sears, Barnes and Noble, Blockbuster, Toys-R-Us, or any other store that has DVD exclusives; we'd appreciate any updates you could give us. I am slowly "retiring" from my weekly chain crawls, and will need your help to keep these threads useful.

All Stores - Thread for all movie cash and free ticket deals

Best Buy -
Drawn Together Movie: The Movie - BD only at Best Buy

Target -
Iron Man 2 Sountrack CD/DVD - (on sale for $14 with) $12 moviecash for film
several more Bravo/Food Network type TV seasons exclusive to Target
might not be new, but several Peanuts specials and Tom & Jerry sets come with digital copies only at Target

Wal Mart / Sam's Club -
Iron Man 2 CD - single disc release only here, $12; regular DVD/CD bundle $14
Secrets of the Mountain - DVD/CD soundtrack bundle for $12 only here

K-Mart/Sears -
I searched and found nothing new

FYE/Sam Goody/other TWEC -
Iron Man 2 Sountrack CD/DVD - exclusive packaging with a reprint of The Invincible Iron Man #1 with an AC/DC cover, a poster and some AC/DC stickers

Barnes and Noble -

Borders -

Costco -

Toys-R-Us -

Blockbuster -

"Lesser" stores with no exclusives this week spoilered
Spoiler:
GameStop / MovieStop - Not verified Tuesday or later. Anyone check?

Hot Topic - Not verified Tuesday or later. Anyone check?

The Disney Store - Not verified Tuesday or later. Anyone check?

Meijers - Not verified Tuesday or later. Anyone check?

Ralph's - Not verified Tuesday or later. Anyone check?

Hastings - Not verified Tuesday or later. Anyone check?

Acme / Albertson's - Not verified Tuesday or later. Anyone check?

Giant Food / Giant Eagle -

Fred Meyer - Not verified Tuesday or later. Anyone check?

Canadian Exclusives - Not verified Tuesday or later. Anyone check?

This is week #226 of listing these exclusives.
Exclusive Bonus DVD Master Thread
Bonus Disc Trade/Exchange Master Thread

Last edited by Trevor; 04-25-10 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-18-10, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Walmart store exclusive: First 50 people to purchase Avatar will receive an Avatar 3D sticker.
Old 04-19-10, 02:09 PM

I'm not sure if this is the proper thread in which to post this, but the Iron Man 2 movie "soundtrack" release (featuring a collection of AC/DC songs and a bonus DVD) has an exclusive edition available at Target, where it also includes free movie money for the upcoming film. The CD was supposed to be released today (not Tuesday, oddly enough), but when I hit my local Target at lunchtime, they had none on the floor and didn't have any idea what I was talking about -- even though the item is shown in the weekly circular as being available today. I ended up hitting Best Buy and buying it there for now, if only to make sure I was able to find one in nice shape (since it comes in a cardboard, book-style package).

As for Target, though I do plan on returning to try again tomorrow, I fully expect to then have someone tell me that they are now sold out, that the album came out yesterday, first come first serve, limited quantities, blah blah blah...

I am so burned out on exclusives.
Old 04-19-10, 03:04 PM

Did the Best Buy one have the movie cash? I thought that part was exclusive to Target.
Old 04-19-10, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Did the Best Buy one have the movie cash? I thought that part was exclusive to Target.
You are correct, sir.

No movie cash at Best Buy, but I wanted to make sure I at least found a copy of the album in mint condition.

Er, my other OCD.

If/when I get one from Target, I'll bring back the Best Buy copy.

And Lemmy, thanks for the inspiring story. I may try that myself later when I run an errand near Target...
Old 04-19-10, 08:10 PM

Okay, just got back from Target with 2 copies of the Iron Man soundtrack (one for me, one for a friend). It's a good thing I went back tonight, as there were only 8 or 9 copies in stock. As expected, the associate first tried telling me that if the album was not on the floor, that it was probably sold out. "Those are limited quantity, sir." Then he changes his story to "Even if we had it, we couldn't sell it to you until tomorrow." When I tell him that it's a rare Monday release, he naturally assumes I'm trying to pull a fast one on him and proceeds to scour the circular (which he refers to as a "flyer," which is incorrect since it consists of more than one page). Despite the date being listed as today, he insists that it must be a misprint. I tell him that I even saw a TV commercial for the disc specifying the Monday release date, but again, I'm probably just lying. Short story a bit longer -- after about 10 minutes of debate, discussion and faulty logic on the part of this well-intentioned fellow (and his similarly qualified superior), I was begrudgingly "allowed" to buy the album. Add another 5 minutes to pick through the stack for a copy that hasn't been damaged in shipping -- my pet peeve being softened, unsharp corners along the spine and edges -- and you have a fairly accurate idea of what results from releasing an album on a Monday instead of a Tuesday.

Oh, and since I failed to mention it before... I encountered the very same situation earlier in the day when purchasing this disc at Best Buy. An effort that will end up being wasted anyway, since I'll now need to bring that original copy back to the store.

*sigh*

So in order of significance, I now officially hate A) retailer exclusives, B) cardboard media packaging, C) uninformed sales associates and D) non-Tuesday release dates.

Midnight Avatar release, here I come!

Last edited by Ajay C; 04-19-10 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow...what an experience Ajay C! I am glad you found it, despite so much trouble. May I ask which stores in NJ you went to? In my experience some are better than others ..if you know what I mean.

'Tis the life of a collector...I can commiserate. I remember the LOTR Best Buy exclusive was a mess.
Old 04-20-10, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Almost missed it ... The Drawn Together Movie: The Movie Blu-ray Best Buy exclusive! 50% off ...Final price $12.50!

I think it is for 4/19 only but may be for 4/20 since it is still live as of 4:04am EDT

The Drawn Together Movie: The Movie Blu-ray

Still better than the $19.99 price on release day.

Use bing for 2% off!
Use e*ates for 1% off!

Last edited by snausages; 04-20-10 at 03:04 AM.
Old 04-20-10, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by snausages
Almost missed it ... The Drawn Together Movie: The Movie Blu-ray Best Buy exclusive! 50% off ...Final price $12.50!

I think it is for 4/19 only but may be for 4/20 ...since it is past midnight here in NYC, but not yet in CA.

The Drawn Together Movie: The Movie Blu-ray

No in-store pickup, so you will have to pay shipping if you are NOT a Best Buy Premier Silver Rewards member.

Still better than the $19.99 price on release day.

Use bing for 2% off!
Use e*ates for 1% off!
F*ck year!!! Best deal of the year!!!
Old 04-20-10, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by iNCREDiPiNOY
F*ck year!!! Best deal of the year!!!
Meh. I bought it, just because I'm an animation completest and had a RZ cert to burn, but this title will be in their $10 or less bargain bins within a year.
Old 04-20-10, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by snausages
Wow...what an experience Ajay C! I am glad you found it, despite so much trouble. May I ask which stores in NJ you went to? In my experience some are better than others ..if you know what I mean.

'Tis the life of a collector...I can commiserate. I remember the LOTR Best Buy exclusive was a mess.
Thanks for the commiseration, snausages!

You're right, this is just par for the course so it's not like I'm surprised by it anymore. The encounter played out more or less as I'd predicted in my earlier post, with the merciful exception that they were not yet sold out! Per your inquiry, this occurred at the Target in Clifton, NJ. The staff there knows me fairly well and are usually very accommodating, but since this was a Monday instead of a Tuesday, I was dealing with a different mix of people.

BTW, which LOTR / Best Buy exclusive did you have trouble with? I know that when I tried to find the recent steelbook presell case, only 2 locations had any on hand, and NONE of them were in nice shape because each one had been sliced across the spine with a box cutter (upon the case being opened).

In fact, let's add that to the above list of things I hate: E) media packaging that has been damaged by some idiot using a box cutter to open the shipping carton. This happens ALL the time and is often the reason I have so much trouble finding things in nice shape, even on release date.

Okay, off to Target again for today's new releases, to do it all over again...
Old 04-20-10, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the commiseration, snausages!

You're right, this is just par for the course so it's not like I'm surprised by it anymore. The encounter played out more or less as I'd predicted in my earlier post, with the merciful exception that they were not yet sold out! Per your inquiry, this occurred at the Target in Clifton, NJ. The staff there knows me fairly well and are usually very accommodating, but since this was a Monday instead of a Tuesday, I was dealing with a different mix of people.

BTW, which LOTR / Best Buy exclusive did you have trouble with? I know that when I tried to find the recent steelbook presell case, only 2 locations had any on hand, and NONE of them were in nice shape because each one had been sliced across the spine with a box cutter (upon the case being opened).

In fact, let's add that to the above list of things I hate: E) media packaging that has been damaged by some idiot using a box cutter to open the shipping carton. This happens ALL the time and is often the reason I have so much trouble finding things in nice shape, even on release date.

Okay, off to Target again for today's new releases, to do it all over again...
Oh my..yes Clifton, I frequent there whenever I get a chance to get out that way too! I do have to agree they are one of the nicer Target stores as far as finding exclusives on new release day. Fairly accommodating for the most part. I guess they have too much stock to keep track to really figure out A from B unless you get someone who's a collector too.

Yep I was speaking of the LOTR presell...what a nightmare! And yes yes..hate the box cutting! I think I had to go to like 6 stores in NJ to find pristine Up! presell steelbook because of the box cutting too. Did you head over to Secaucus for the LOTR... I heard they had a couple left there at the time of the release.

It is nice for someone else to know the same stores Will you be going to the NYC Avatar midnight release at Union Sq? Or will you go to Walmart for the exclusive 3D Avatar sticker?

To bring this back to the thread... the first million people who register their special code in Avatar DVD & Blu-ray will receive a virtual home tree.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.