Reload this Page >

Borders - Montclair, CA store - 50% off all DVDs and CDs

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 03-16-09, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

If you're around the Montclair, CA area, the Borders store there is currently having a "50% off" sale on all DVDs and CDs.

They still have a lot of Criterion titles available, but since their regular prices are so high (usually either $29.99 or $39.99) they're still a little pricey even on sale (at least for me they are). Also, they still have lots of box sets (TV and otherwise).

I asked the cashier if the store was closing down for good and he said no, they're just clearing out old inventory. It was close to closing time when I got there, so I was in a hurry and forgot to ask how the long the sale is going on or if Blu rays are included.

This sale seems to be exclusive to the Montclair store (at least for now) as the Chino area Borders (which is less than 10 miles away) wasn't having any similar type of sale.

Last edited by Perkinsun Dzees; 03-16-09 at 01:29 AM.
Old 03-16-09, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Borders - Montclair, CA store - 50% off all DVDs and CDs

I never stop in that store even though I drive down the 10 frwy every day. I'll have to stop by this week and see if I can find anything of interest. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-16-09, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks, man. I'll pop by the store later today.
Old 03-16-09, 03:10 PM

This sale is also happening at the Louisville, KY Bardstown Road location.
Old 03-16-09, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Not too bad. Lotta TV box sets left over. Still plenty to pick from. I ended up getting the recent Fantastic Four animated series and a handful of other titles that I haven't seen come up for sale anywhere.

CDs were worse off than the DVDs. And an employee told me Blu-Rays are not part of the sale.
Old 03-16-09, 08:57 PM

sale is happening at the Dunwoody, Georgia store too and Blu-Rays are included at ours but the prices are far from great even with half off
Old 03-16-09, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sale is also on in Doral, Kendall and Coral Gables in South Florida, but at 40% off. And Blu-Ray is included. The emplyees I spoke to at the stores all seemed unanimous in explaining that these stores will no longer carry library titles, just sporadic high profile new releases from here on out. One of them also said prices will go down as they get close to some unspecified deadline to get the stuff out (they are in the dark as to when it will got to 50%, but it will happen, and then 60% off, etc. as they are ordered to do so by corporate).
Old 03-17-09, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by tommykb127
sale is happening at the Dunwoody, Georgia store too and Blu-Rays are included at ours but the prices are far from great even with half off
Thanks for the tip. I picked up a couple of Criterions at that location and also got a couple at the Brookwood Place (Peachtree Rd) location in Atlanta. Lower-tier were $15 and upper-tier were $20 after the discount. ALL in-stock DVDs and Blu-rays EXCEPT new releases and "popular" titles (whatever that means) are included.

Only a few stores here are participating. I believe they said Suwanee, Athens, and a couple of others in the outer suburbs. (Some locations NOT participating include East Cobb and Brookhaven.) Might want to call first.

This is an awesome sale that is flying under the radar. I wonder if a mod could change the title of this thread so that it indicates "Borders - Select B&M stores" or some such instead of just Montclair.
Old 03-18-09, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dearborn, MI is doing this too and has been for a couple of weeks, though I didn't get over to it until yesterday. It was pretty picked over and it's pathetic that half-off BDs are $20, so I only got Hottie Terminator S1, Pushing Daisies S1, Adventures of Baron Munchaussen (all BD) and Stand By Me for ~$63 OTD. It helped that the clerk was so busy discussing Pushing Daisies with me that she rang up two $10 Stand By Mes instead of the $14.50 Baron. (Others were $20.)
Old 03-18-09, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

anyone checked out Boston area Borders? (Burlington, Newton...)
Old 03-18-09, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by redbill
anyone checked out Boston area Borders? (Burlington, Newton...)
Not sure about those two you mentioned, but the smallish one on Boylston Street in Boston is not part of this sale.
Old 03-18-09, 10:00 AM

For those in the St. Louis area, I spoke to an employee at the Chesterfield location last night and he said their stock was being reduced from 8000 titles to 4000.
They were going to have the sale start this weekend and were marking those DVDs to be on sale with a red sticker. The worker thought that it was only 30% off, but wasn't completely sure. Hopefully, it will be higher.

He also said the only store in the area that wouldn't be affected was the Brentwood location. They would be the one to keep their amount of titles the same and thus not participate in the sale.

Last edited by redcon1; 03-18-09 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-18-09, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Borders at the District in Tustin also has 50% off of dvds (including blu-ray) & cds. (the only items not affected are brand new releases)

But it's been going on for more than a week already, and supply is dwindling.
Old 03-18-09, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by redcon1
For those in the St. Louis area, I spoke to an employee at the Chesterfield location last night and he said their stock was being reduced from 8000 titles to 4000.

They were going to have the sale start this weekend and were marking those DVDs to be on sale with a red sticker. The worker thought that it was only 30% off, but wasn't completely sure. Hopefully, it will be higher.

He also said the only store in the area that wouldn't be affected was the Brentwood location. They would be the one to keep their amount of titles the same and thus not participate in the sale.
I had a similar conversation with the Manager of the CD/DVD department at my local. He said they are reducing the # of stocked titles, and that all of those with the red sticker (piece of tape) will be deleted, and will be 30% off starting Friday. (Looked to be about a quarter of current inventory).

He also said the only stores offering 50% off are liquidating their entire DVD/CD department, and will only stock the Top 10 or Top 100 titles going forward.

Sorry, but 30% off list at Borders doesn't even begin to motivate me.
Old 03-18-09, 04:29 PM

Thanks for the additional info, Buck.

A bit disappointing it's only 30%, but I guess I prefer having a decent selection to choose from rather than just the top 100 later on.
One of my little pleasures is browsing the DVDs they have, even if I don't have the money to buy something at that time. It sounds like, at least at most of my area's stores, it will still be a pretty good selection with 4000 titles.

And if nothing else, during this sale, folks can pickup more than one item at the discount price unlike the limitations that's on the e-mail coupons.
I still hope they'll send a few 40% coupons out from time to time, though.
Old 03-18-09, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Borders at the District in Tustin also has 50% off of dvds (including blu-ray) & cds. (the only items not affected are brand new releases)

But it's been going on for more than a week already, and supply is dwindling.
Thanks for the update. I was there about two weeks ago and the discounts were only at 30%. Didn't find much, but it may still be worth a look if you're in the area.
Old 03-18-09, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Guy ATL
Thanks for the tip. I picked up a couple of Criterions at that location and also got a couple at the Brookwood Place (Peachtree Rd) location in Atlanta. Lower-tier were $15 and upper-tier were $20 after the discount. ALL in-stock DVDs and Blu-rays EXCEPT new releases and "popular" titles (whatever that means) are included.

Only a few stores here are participating. I believe they said Suwanee, Athens, and a couple of others in the outer suburbs. (Some locations NOT participating include East Cobb and Brookhaven.) Might want to call first.

This is an awesome sale that is flying under the radar. I wonder if a mod could change the title of this thread so that it indicates "Borders - Select B&M stores" or some such instead of just Montclair.
Are you the one that got Salo? I told myself I'd come back in two days and if it was still there I'd buy it and sure enough it wasn't there.
Old 03-18-09, 07:37 PM

The Borders at Palos Verdes Estates, CA is doing the same
Old 03-18-09, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by tommykb127
Are you the one that got Salo? I told myself I'd come back in two days and if it was still there I'd buy it and sure enough it wasn't there.
LOL, no that wasn't me. I was back again, tonight, however, and picked up more Criterions. Perhaps we passed by each other during the hunt.
Old 03-19-09, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Guy ATL
LOL, no that wasn't me. I was back again, tonight, however, and picked up more Criterions. Perhaps we passed by each other during the hunt.
Haha, it's very probable that we did
Old 03-20-09, 06:32 PM

I went to the Borders in Simsbury, CT, today and the sale was 30% off CDs and DVDs with red tape on them. Most of their inventory wasn't marked yet, there was a girl working on it. She told me she had a ton more to mark down. I'm going to go back there tomorrow. Pay attention though. Even at 30% off, you can find many of the CDs/DVDs cheaper elsewhere. I happened to pick up some CDs that I knew were good deals.
Old 03-20-09, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i went to the borders in plano, tx yesterday and it was 40% off. i was hoping to find a deal, but mostly it wasn't worth saving a few cents over amazon.
Old 03-21-09, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Santa Cruz, CA Borders on Pacific Ave. was having a CD/DVD clearance sale.

Signs were posted today and it's only 30% off of marked items. Items are marked with a red tag on the spine and excludes new releases.
Old 03-21-09, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Santa Cruz, CA Borders on Pacific Ave. was having a CD/DVD clearance sale.

Signs were posted today and it's only 30% off of marked items. Items are marked with a red tag on the spine and excludes new releases.
With the exception of about 25 stores, the entire chain is clearing out their multimedia department(a late attempt of keeping the company afloat). This thread has a list of the stores that aren't participating in this clear-out-

http://community.livejournal.com/iwo...rs/401867.html
Old 03-22-09, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

Checked Tacoma, Washington today. SELECTED DVD's @ 30%, NO SALES ON CD'S. The clerk had never heard of the 50% off sale...........

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.