Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Circuit City Liquidation Sale Thread All Remaining U.S. Stores Starting 1/17/2009

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Circuit City Liquidation Sale Thread All Remaining U.S. Stores Starting 1/17/2009

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-09, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Circuit City Liquidation Sale Thread All Remaining U.S. Stores Starting 1/17/2009

Originally Posted by sasquatchlives
10% doesn't seem much.
I've noticed that when other stores have gone out of business, they started at only 10 or 20 percent. Not much of a deal, but the store was still packed. By the time that the percentage was worthwhile, they were down to their fixtures.
Old 01-16-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Circuit City Liquidation Sale Thread All Remaining U.S. Stores Starting 1/17/2009

Originally Posted by conehead433
So I just visited their website to see if I could find a deal on some HD DVDs. All the decent titles were priced at $19.99 or higher. What a bunch of idiots.
It doesn't look like they're going to be doing anything with the website as they're going to cease operations of it on the 18th.
Old 01-16-09, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Liquidations suck.theres not going to be any deals for a while.they hire companys to do the sell off.so the prices will sometimes be higher.CC lost my business long ago,poor customer service,poor prices/selection,not wanting to Price match,movies were not alphabatized,no rewards program
Old 01-16-09, 02:56 PM

Wow. I worked there from 1990 to 1997 and I loved it until the last couple of years before I left. In my opinion everything started going downhill when the company bought Car Max and when DIVX was introduced.
Old 01-16-09, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by SPRBD
I would not count on it.
I heartily agree with this sentiment. A lot can change in the next few days and Circuit City may simply change their minds on the matter of honoring gift cards. At which point, your only recourse will be to tell the cashier, "But I read an article that said you'd be accepting gift cards," and you'll still be out of luck (not to mention out the amount of money on the card). Personally, I just got back from making a trip to my local CC location to spend my last $30 in store credit, just to be safe. Hopefully they will continue to honor their store credit as the liquidation proceeds, but legally they are no longer obligated to do so. Just a word of warning from someone who's been screwed before...
Old 01-16-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by conehead433
So I just visited their website to see if I could find a deal on some HD DVDs. All the decent titles were priced at $19.99 or higher. What a bunch of idiots.
Did you not read the OP? Why would the website have deals when it won't be running past the weekend?

I wouldn't be too worried about Best Buy jacking prices as many of you are saying. I would assume they are just as paranoid about the same thing happening to them, so they will want to keep customers happy. Circuit City wasn't the real competition for them, their competition is online retailers such as Amazon.

My prediction is Borders will be the next big name retailer to shut down. I'm surprised they lasted this long.
Old 01-16-09, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

stuff like ipods even at 5%-10% off will get snatched up...and lots of people will fill the stores this weekend to see what's up.
Old 01-16-09, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just called the store in Manchester, NH and the person I spoke to could not confirm that the liquidation would in fact start tomorrow, instead just saying that she's been hearing that, but nothing official yet.

I'm sure it's still going on, but I wonder if that type of response is what HQ wants everybody to stay? In other words, why buy anything today, if you can save (maybe) 10% tomorrow?

I've never been a fan of Circuit City, but I felt kind of bad for the woman I spoke to.
Old 01-16-09, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Today will be the last day to take advantage of any pricematching deals as their pricematching policy will most likely no longer be honored.

Starting tomorrow, all the prices will be jacked up to MSRP and the liquidation discounts will be off that price.

I got them to pricematch MicroCenter's $100 price on Western Digital's 1TB hard drive retail kit to use up the remainder of my gift cards. Net cost to me ended up being $75 each since I got the gift cards at a discount.

Last edited by GMan2819; 01-16-09 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-16-09, 03:17 PM

They're website is currently being "updated."

Oi, I have one of their $10 "we only mail it to you via USPS" rewards certificates that I needed to spend and my local CC closed before Christmas. I was hoping to spend it on the website. Guess I'll either need to go to the closest one, hope the site returns, or be happy with the .0005 cents of paper it's printed on when the damned thing finally arrives .
Old 01-16-09, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by GMan2819
Today will be the last day to take advantage of any pricematching deals as their pricematching policy will most likely no longer be honored.

Starting tomorrow, all the prices will be jacked up to MSRP and the liquidation discounts will be off that price.
You are most likely correct. If anyone sees a good price in this week's ad for something you want, you should jump on it today. Tomorrow, the ad prices may no longer be in effect.
Old 01-16-09, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Someone's having fun with the Wikipedia entry:
President Elect Obama has asked Pilot Chesley Sullenberger, hero of US Airways Flight 1549, to help guide Circuit City into the nearest waterway for another "miracle landing."
Old 01-16-09, 05:24 PM
Banned

Glad to see them go. I hope there are some good closeout deals.

I'm surprised Borders and FYE are still in business. One of those should really be next.
Old 01-16-09, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm surprised FYE has stayed in business as long as they have. Then again, my FYE closed down a month ago, the Suncoast in the mall is still open though.
I actually like Circuit City, I was able to get some games and DVDs for pretty good prices. And I definitely dislike the lack of competition now; I don't think there's another 'big box electronics store' around here.
And definitely my sympathies to the 30000 employees who will now be jobless...I just hope they don't apply for the same jobs my wife is applying for (sorry I'm selfish that way).
Old 01-16-09, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 664 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Mazje
So if I have something with a protection plan from Circuit City, what should I do?
According to the updated web site:

"Are Circuit City's extended warranties affected by the liquidation?

* No. Circuit City Advantage Protection Plans® (extended warranties) have been backed by third-party independent companies for more than 15 years and as a result, are not impacted by Circuit City's closing.
* Currently, all Circuit City Advantage Protection Plans are fully backed by the Assurant Solutions companies. Assurant Solutions operates as Federal Warranty Service Corporation, Sureway, Inc., and United Service Protection, Inc. Assurant Solutions is part of Assurant, Inc. (NYSE: AIZ), and its extended service contacts are backed by an Assurant insurance subsidiary rated A "Excellent" by A.M. Best Co."

So you *should* be safe. However, I would see if there is some sort of cancellation clause and get a refund if possible. Generally these things are not a good deal as most consumer electronics are very reliable. They are very good revenue generators. Most consumer publications advise to "just say no" to extended warranties on almost all products.
Old 01-16-09, 05:38 PM

CC Liquidation FAQ:

http://www.circuitcity.com/closed.html
Old 01-16-09, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mazje
So if I have something with a protection plan from Circuit City, what should I do?
Acknowledge the fact that you are throwing your money away when you purchase any protection plan / extended warranty, regardless of whether the retailer is going out of business or not!
Old 01-16-09, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

At least their stock is a bargain - 4 cents a share! Get some now before the market recovers!

Old 01-16-09, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by ksyblues
CC lost my business long ago,poor customer service,poor prices/selection,not wanting to Price match,movies were not alphabatized,no rewards program
They lost my business last year when they started asking for ID for credit card purchases. I know that's the norm in a lot of Western states, but here it New Jersey it is NOTDONE, especially not for a $20 purchase. Sheesh.
Old 01-16-09, 06:26 PM

What happens with a Circuit City credit card? Do you think that Chase will turn it into a regular credit card or just put the kibosh on it?
Old 01-16-09, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I've noticed that when other stores have gone out of business, they started at only 10 or 20 percent. Not much of a deal, but the store was still packed. By the time that the percentage was worthwhile, they were down to their fixtures.
When Lechmere went OOB here locally, the first week was 10% off retail MSRP. They had the highest grossing week ever. My buddy who worked there told me things were normally 25% off. So more people paid 15% more money just because it was called a liquidation sale.
Old 01-16-09, 06:38 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Viper187
Glad to see them go. I hope there are some good closeout deals.
I'm glad to see them go too. I was talking with a friend the other day and we were saying how bad unemployment in this country is, hoping it could get worse. Thanks to Circuit City, 30,000 people (one of which being my brother) will be out of work. YES!!

I'm surprised Borders and FYE are still in business. One of those should really be next.
More people out of work??? AWESOME!!!

Old 01-16-09, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've heard Borders ain't doing so hot either. I wouldn't be surprised to see them on the block this time next year, although I sure hope not.
Old 01-16-09, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by cactuskind
I'm glad to see them go too. I was talking with a friend the other day and we were saying how bad unemployment in this country is, hoping it could get worse. Thanks to Circuit City, 30,000 people (one of which being my brother) will be out of work. YES!!

More people out of work??? AWESOME!!!

Treat your customers well and don't go butt hole deep in debt and you survive. Treat your customers poorly and go butt hole deep in debt and you deserve to DIE. Those are the laws of business...
Old 01-16-09, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by sasquatchlives
10% doesn't seem much.

EVERYBODY starts off at 10% of LIST PRICE and within the week anything worth buying is gone, so by the time they hit 30% (Normal Amazon markdown) they have copies of TMNT or Beer League Bluray discs left, their CD selection has always been crap so nothing there, and HDMI cables. At that point it's not worth going in

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.