Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Circuit City Liquidation Sale Thread All Remaining U.S. Stores Starting 1/17/2009

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Circuit City Liquidation Sale Thread All Remaining U.S. Stores Starting 1/17/2009

Old 01-16-09, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Circuit City Liquidation Sale Thread All Remaining U.S. Stores Starting 1/17/2009

Originally Posted by mw390
EVERYBODY starts off at 10% of LIST PRICE and within the week anything worth buying is gone, so by the time they hit 30% (Normal Amazon markdown) they have copies of TMNT or Beer League Bluray discs left, their CD selection has always been crap so nothing there, and HDMI cables. At that point it's not worth going in
Hey, I own TMNT on Blu-ray, damnit!
Old 01-16-09, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Circuit City Liquidation Sale Thread All Remaining U.S. Stores Starting 1/17/2009

Originally Posted by packaok
Treat your customers well and don't go butt hole deep in debt and you survive. Treat your customers poorly and go butt hole deep in debt and you deserve to DIE. Those are the laws of business...
Sounds like you know a lot about going "butthole deep"!
Old 01-16-09, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by barbybrant
They lost my business last year when they started asking for ID for credit card purchases. I know that's the norm in a lot of Western states, but here it New Jersey it is NOTDONE, especially not for a $20 purchase. Sheesh.
Seriously? You got angry at them for something that keeps credit cards just a smidgen safer?
I hope, at least, all your credit cards are signed. Then there's some kind of justification here. That might not be so bad. If your credit cards aren't signed, well...

Originally Posted by packaok
Treat your customers well and don't go butt hole deep in debt and you survive. Treat your customers poorly and go butt hole deep in debt and you deserve to DIE. Those are the laws of business...
Who's kidding who? No one gives a crap about customer service--especially most of the people on this board. It's value, value, value, with undignified rants if a value someone else got fails for them. Now, subtract the customer service aspect and your statement is definitely true.

Wal-Mart has atrocious customer service in the great majority of stores (I've worked for two of them in very different environments, which is by no means a large sample, but I've certainly shopped in far, far more than 2) but is still doing very well even in years where it isn't doing well compared to itself.

I could name Best Buy stores with lame service. Targets with lame service. I could name any branded store I've been in that had lame service. This is the general perception anyone seems to get, too--"Hey this local branch of Company X was nasty to me once, Company X sucks!"
It's simply not true. Or rather, it might be true, but that's no indicator.

Employees of retail establishments are human beings. Some human beings are assholes, some are not. Some people treat said employees as less than human (retail establishments themselves, especially on a corporate level, tend to be strong contenders for worst offender here). As such, suggesting that a company somehow controls its customer service down to the specific employee is ludicrous and completely unrealistic, just as much as suggesting that a single store's service is representative of the entire company behind it.

A lot of people like to talk about Company X's customer service, but they don't really know unless they've toured all the stores. An awful lot of retail stores are going to have bad service, because you're paid peanuts to take abuse with a smile, with Joe Schmoe telling you you're a jerk with bad customer service and he's never shopping their again because you wouldn't give him the store for free. Try finding a bunch of people who can keep up that smile and devoted service after years of that for that pay.

The company I work for (who I do not speak for) has been known for customer service--of course, some people see only one store or two and they have lame service, but it's not representative. No one really cares, though, because they're really only interested in prices. Being treated like a lot of people treat retail employees--that will bother people, sure, but neutrality or even laziness toward customers doesn't bother the great majority, it seems.

It's a capitalist economy, and pretending there's anything like human interest motivating any of it as you shrug over the loss of 30,000 jobs is open enough in its hypocrisy that you really ought to be aware of that already.

Sorry. I know you don't give a crap. I just thought it ought to be said.
Old 01-16-09, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FangsFirst

Who's kidding who? No one gives a crap about customer service--especially most of the people on this board. It's value, value, value, with undignified rants if a value someone else got fails for them. Now, subtract the customer service aspect and your statement is definitely true.
How true!
Old 01-16-09, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dino88
My prediction is Borders will be the next big name retailer to shut down. I'm surprised they lasted this long.
The one recently opened by me closed last week. The closest one now is about 20 miles away.
Old 01-16-09, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rob052067
I found a couple awesome deals today. Christmas dvd's and cd's at my local store are 75%-off (YMMV). I picked up 'Shrek The Halls' at $3.75 and 'Christmas Classics Favorites' at $7.50.
The only copy of "Shrek the Halls" I could find was one with the Donkey plush. It rang up for $5 even and I bought it. I didn't mind paying the extra $1.75, but I wish I got a better plush. Both my kids like the Donkey the least.

I couldn't find any other Christmas DVD's at all.
Old 01-16-09, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dude. I really can't believe all of their stores will be closing. This is a really bad sign of our current economy and is just another event on our long road ahead. I really feel bad for everyone who will become unemployed as a result of this. This is terrible news indeed.
Old 01-16-09, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 288 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob052067
Another 30,000 jobs lost.

And, with the loss of it's main competitor, we can expect price increases at Best Buy.
I doubt it. Best Buy has more competition than just Circuit City. I hardly shop there as is, except when there's an online deal or something. And if they don't have it in store? Well, I don't order and wait for an Amazon sale.

But more importantly, I hope these 34,000 people can get jobs elsewhere. The retail sector is basically crashing right now. Not just the financial lending sectors. Corporations are high-tailing it, not giving a shit about the consequences.
Old 01-16-09, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A moment of silence for Circuit City. I always liked them better than Best Buy...pretty much until their ridiculous layoff of their best workers. I've been shopping almost exclusively at Best Buy in the last year or so, but I have big concerns about their future pricing.
Old 01-16-09, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

From the NY Times:

Wall Street analysts said in November that the prospects of long-term survival for Circuit City were bleak. Months of declining sales sent the company over the edge, although its problems go back a decade. They include buying cheap real estate leases in inferior locations and laying off the company’s most experienced sales staff. The latter saved money, but at the price of employee morale and countless customers.

“They basically destroyed all their customer loyalty among all their best customers in one fell swoop,” said Britt Beemer, chief executive and founder of America’s Research Group.

“That was really the beginning of the end.”

The disappearance of the national chain means that in many markets consumers are running out of places to buy electronics, though shoppers are not the only ones being affected. The loss of Circuit City will probably be felt throughout the supply line as electronics manufacturers find themselves less able to negotiate prices.

“Even accounting for a softer economy,” said David A. Schick, an analyst at Stifel Nicolaus, “the business will go to specialty players in the sector and it will also go to mass merchant discounters.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/17/te...l?ref=business

Basically its just going to be Best Buy and Wal Mart for retail electronics.

Last edited by Classic Films; 01-16-09 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-16-09, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Circuit city really did suck.... oh well... another one bites the dust
Old 01-16-09, 11:36 PM

That's what they get for suing Speedy....
Old 01-16-09, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They deserve to go down: our Best Buy moved about five miles down the road from the previous location and closed the older store. Circuit City added a store across from the new BB location and kept the older store which was also less than five miles away from the new location of BB/new CC.

Morons.

And, oy vey, the customer service. Worse than Wal-Mart, IMO. I'd rather say "no thanks" to the houndings from Best Buy employees than have to go searching for someone that runs away when I try to ask them a question.
Old 01-16-09, 11:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I heard Circuit City's West Coast operations were doing rather well (as evidenced by the fact that no Los Angeles area stores were in the initial closing rounds) and it was the Midwest and other regions that were bearing the biggest loss for the company. So hence is the nature of a national chain, even the stores doing great have to go to cover the debts incurred by the poorly performing ones.

I see consumer electronics B&M business sticking to a more regional level in future (see Fry's, PC Richards, etc.) with an expansion of the online market. It appears as though the market can bear only one national chain, which will unfortunately be Best Buy.
But who knows what other companies may come into fruition after the economy picks up.

I remember hearing the CompUSA brand was saved in the last stage of its liquidation and that certain CompUSA stores may be re-opening eventually, can anyone chime in on this?
Old 01-16-09, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by misterchimpy
That's what they get for suing Speedy....

Speaking of which, less work for Speedy every week.
Old 01-17-09, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by smirnoffski
Well, I heard Circuit City's West Coast operations were doing rather well (as evidenced by the fact that no Los Angeles area stores were in the initial closing rounds) and it was the Midwest and other regions that were bearing the biggest loss for the company. So hence is the nature of a national chain, even the stores doing great have to go to cover the debts incurred by the poorly performing ones.
Did you step into a Circuit City within the last year? They fact they made it until December was a miracle. Their stores have been ghost towns for a while, and I'm talking about stores in the SF Bay Area & LA, I can only image how bad it was in the Midwest.

fitprod
Old 01-17-09, 12:36 AM
Banned

Sorry to see them go. They occasionally had some really good deals on box sets & some good online deals... and Amazon didn't match their sale prices as they did with Best Buy. Also, competition is always good for consumers even if you don't shop at a particular store.

I also enjoyed the periodic $9.99 CD sales, etc.

One irony of the liquidation is that some people will see the ads or signs & rush in to buy CDs at 10% off when they passed up the same items during the 30% off sale last week. It never fails...I've seen it over & over...people load up during 'going-out-of-business' sales on stuff they would pass up any other time...even if they have to pay a higher price than earlier sales.

I agree that there won't be too much left by the time the discounts become relatively good.
Old 01-17-09, 12:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mw390
EVERYBODY starts off at 10% of LIST PRICE and within the week anything worth buying is gone, so by the time they hit 30% (Normal Amazon markdown) they have copies of TMNT or Beer League Bluray discs left, their CD selection has always been crap so nothing there, and HDMI cables. At that point it's not worth going in
That's not necessarily true. The one CC that recently closed by me still had a shit load of DVDs and BDs when they were at 30% after being at 20% for about a month and a half.
Old 01-17-09, 01:07 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by smirnoffski
I remember hearing the CompUSA brand was saved in the last stage of its liquidation and that certain CompUSA stores may be re-opening eventually, can anyone chime in on this?
CompUSA was bought in some fashion by Tiger Direct. In my part of Florida, a few weeks after the regular stores were liquidated, they were re-opened as outlet stores for Tiger Direct under the CompUSA name.
Old 01-17-09, 01:28 AM

anyone check out CC website lately? no more site its a disclaimer
Old 01-17-09, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 288 Likes on 213 Posts

I say let Circuity City find some other people to buy their shit. At least something to honor to the 34K employees.

And Best Buy can suck it as well, thanks to their recent Blu-ray Upgrade idea.
Old 01-17-09, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's disappointing to see some people dancing on Circuit City's grave considering 30,000+ people will now be out of work in an industry where there are few jobs to begin with these days.
Old 01-17-09, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei

And Best Buy can suck it as well, thanks to their recent Blu-ray Upgrade idea.
What Blu-ray upgrade idea?
Old 01-17-09, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by badger1997
It's disappointing to see some people dancing on Circuit City's grave considering 30,000+ people will now be out of work in an industry where there are few jobs to begin with these days.
I agree, Im an expirenced low voltage and high voltage electrician and I cant find a job, now theres 30,000 other people looking.
Old 01-17-09, 03:10 AM

Disgusting

Originally Posted by badger1997
Well put!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.