DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazon says 2008 holiday season was 'best ever'
Linky
Old 12-26-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Anono
I regret not buying Entourage and The office during Black Friday!
I had hesitated, but did indeed grab all Entourage and Weeds on Black Friday that were $8.99 a season - so glad I did, because nothing since has come close.
Old 12-26-08, 12:24 PM

I haven't really seen any great blu-ray deals today. The Amazon ones were OK.
Old 12-26-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Surfinhank
So does that mean deals are getting posted in the premium forum and not here?
Just go to fatwallet or slickdeals
Old 12-26-08, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Your post has a lot of conflicting info.
It's only conflicting if you can't grasp or are resistant to the overall message.

First you say you watch movies not resolution, but then you have 61 Blu-ray titles and roughly 140 HD DVDs.

I said I have 80-something HD DVDs, so reading comprehension clearly wasn't your priority. The point was that only 10% of my collection is HD/BD.

Then you say Blu-ray titles are too expensive, but then you made an exception to your own rule by purchasing them at their higher price points because some titles were "your favorites".

I stated clearly, the vast majority of those were either free or extremely cheap because they were bought used. The reason I paid a premium wasn't because they were "favorites" - I never stated the reason why - but because I was willing to drop the cash for early possession of a couple of titles that I figured would get cheap for a year or two. Gas is cheap now, so I treated myself.

Third, you're calling Blu-ray an eventual failure yet you have 60+ Blu-ray movies?

Which part of "THEY WERE USED" escaped your notice? The Gamestop across from my work must be some sort of fencing operation because they had over 100 Blu-rays used that didn't have cases for some reason; they came in sleeves and were only known to exist by close pals of the staff. (A friend tipped me off to the deal.) With Gamestop's B2G4 blowout, I picked up 18 BDs for about a C-note. Do the division math and tally up how much the studios made off of me. Did you get around $6 each and absolutely nothing? Ding ding ding!!!

So, you're confusing me here. By your own definition, Blu-ray is actually going to succeed because if everyone was like you, they'd have a few hundred HD movies, while complaining at the same time HD was going to fail.

I never said anything of the sort. You're the one with hundreds of HD movies in your sig line. You're the one who said that you want quality for your HDTV. All I said was that you're obviously possessing the means to indulge your desires better than Joe Six-Pack wondering if his plant is going to get shut down. Good for you. Were all those movies good enough to warrant paying double what a regular DVD would've cost? Did the 1080p make Beowulf and Hulk better movies or would they have sucked no matter what format their suckitude was distributed on; VHS or holographic lap-dancing blipverts?

All the movies you mention having problems (Transformers, TDK) are best-selling HD titles. They made record-breaking sales. I'll give you Rise of the Silver Surfer because I don't think it did too well. But that's one movie.

You're actually using high sales as a defense of less-than-perfect quality?!? "Well, those movies were best-sellers, so they clearly must not have problems." Yeah, and N*SYNC was the greatest band of 2000 or whenever they were big. Dark Knight and Rockin Sockin Robots were huge BO hits and thus slam-dunk home video sellers and thus racked up big sales relative to other titles, but still a mere fraction of what the regular DVDs sold.

I didn't mention Silver Surfer for sales, but as an example of what $25 buys you when an awesome FIVE-DISC set like Blade Runner is the same price. If a great film with great AV quality and a buttload of supplemental materials can be profitably sold at this price, a single disc edition can be sold for much less since they're obviously much less manufacturing cost involved.

The only reason why prices are high is because the studio-retail cabal want them high to bamboozle people into paying twice as much. The fact that disc AV quality is so spotty makes the premium price doubly a gouge job.

Hell, I need drink after reading your post.

Based on the sheer number of misunderstandings and leaped-to conclusions you made in your post, I was under the impression you'd been guzzling nog all night before replying.

Sorry to be so cranky, but the reason there are no sales is because Sony and its lackeys decided years ago to rip-off consumers with an overpriced and consumer-unfriendly video format in order to pad their bottom lines. Now that the economy is in tatters and money for frivolous gizmos is hard to come by, they're sticking with their high-margin schemes and that is going to hold Blu-ray back and leave it a niche format for nerds like us. Most people can't even tell the difference between regular and HD TV, so to think that the general public is hungering to abandon "crummy old DVD" is a delusion that Sony & Friends are going to ride straight into bankruptcy. And I'll be laughing at them all the way down.
Old 12-26-08, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Ok. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-27-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GMan2819
Amazon says 2008 holiday season was 'best ever'
Linky
Notice how carefully parsed the news from Amazon was. They spoke of increases in items ordered but were careful to avoid mention of the dollar value of the orders. My take on it is that the average and total dollar value of orders didn't increase much, if at all.

I agree with the OP, DVD Polizei. I have been surprised at the dearth of decent post-holiday deals on BDs. I am also disappointed that the price for the BD player I want to buy went up a couple of weeks ago at Amazon and has remained there ever since. So much for all the news reports I keep seeing about all the low prices at retailers. I sure don't see it.

I guess I'll just have to keep waiting and see if the CE manufacturers and movie studious will "blink" before I do.
Old 12-28-08, 03:45 AM
Cool New Member

Hopefully Blu-ray will become popular enough and cheap enough that it will be built into most DVD players in the near future. If not, Blu-ray discs could become as worthless as HD DVD discs.

Last edited by Rock88; 12-28-08 at 03:48 AM.
Old 12-28-08, 07:50 AM

DirkBelig: Crankiness I can believe in!
Old 12-28-08, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by uglyjay
I regret wasting my time reading this thread
and posting in it also?
Old 12-28-08, 08:36 PM

Hmmm, where the white women at?
Old 12-28-08, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by RustyOrgan
I haven't read the thread, but I clicked on it to post the exact same thing. Well played, RustyOrgan, well played.
Old 12-28-08, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
And I came in here looking for a deal on...Step Brothers. Who knew.
Old 12-29-08, 12:30 AM

???
Old 12-29-08, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Hmmmm, where are the bargains at?
Originally Posted by RustyOrgan
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TJkHykGRXrw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TJkHykGRXrw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 12-29-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Part of the problem is figuring out what exactly is a deal on BR. The prices are still all over the board. I can look at standard dvd and figure it out, but BR could be on sale for $18 or so, then down to $14 or less, then back up to $20 plus.