Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

B1G1 Offer on select Warner titles at DD

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-08, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just got my email from dd. the sale price is not indicated. my account on dd site also shows full price. wtf.

the live gave me 10% off though.
Old 09-02-08, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by costanza
so i did the live.com thing and had tennessee williams and controversial classics vol 2, went through the whole check out, bought it, and no half off!
i'm a bit worried over here.
Per the offer:

Don’t see your discount? Type in promotion code : B1G1WARNR0808 at checkout
Old 09-02-08, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine went through correctly. Here's what I've been doing when ordering at DD through live.com:

- sign into DD
- close window
- open new window
- sign in to live.com
- click on DD link at live.com
- add items to my cart and checkout
Old 09-02-08, 08:32 PM

Just put in a quick order for all of the Cult Classics (total: $47.94) and will probably do a few more before all is said and done.

I used the live thing but I have absolutely no idea if it worked. Guess I'll find out soon. Edit: It worked! Found it in my live account, thanks for the heads up!

I expect to do two more orders for: Shakespeare / Val Lewton and James Cagney / something I haven't decided on yet.

Last edited by tasog37; 09-02-08 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-02-08, 08:45 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm a little confused on this live.com thing - are we supposed to get 10% off at the time of check-out with Deep Discount...then another 10% later on from live.com? Or is it just 10% later on? I've seen several comments about getting effectively 20% off, but not sure how that works.

I've placed two orders within the past few days after registering at live.com and both times logged into Deep Discount from live.com (getting the screen saying my purchases will qualify for the 10%)...but my check-outs at Deep Discount do not reflect any savings...am I doing something wrong?

Peter
Old 09-02-08, 08:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Proglodite
I'm a little confused on this live.com thing - are we supposed to get 10% off at the time of check-out with Deep Discount...then another 10% later on from live.com? Or is it just 10% later on? I've seen several comments about getting effectively 20% off, but not sure how that works.

I've placed two orders within the past few days after registering at live.com and both times logged into Deep Discount from live.com (getting the screen saying my purchases will qualify for the 10%)...but my check-outs at Deep Discount do not reflect any savings...am I doing something wrong?

Peter
The Live.com savings will only show up in your Live.com account, not on the DD site.
Old 09-02-08, 09:00 PM

Peter
The 10% cashback is not reflected on the store's website. To see what purchases you have made that are eligible, log in to your cashback account.

When people say that they are effectively getting 20% off, it's Live credits you 10% for all of your items, including, in this case, the free items.
Old 09-02-08, 09:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by theflicker
When people say that they are effectively getting 20% off, it's Live credits you 10% for all of your items, including, in this case, the free items.
I'd argue that it's not 20% off - for example, the Twilight Zone collection @ $200 isn't being reduced down to $160 (although, if I sold one a set at $100, then the copy I kept would only be an $80 investment...so in a roundabout way I can see how you're claiming 20%). --Peter
Old 09-02-08, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd argue that it's not 20% off - for example, the Twilight Zone collection @ $200 isn't being reduced down to $160 (although, if I sold one a set at $100, then the copy I kept would only be an $80 investment...so in a roundabout way I can see how you're claiming 20%). --Peter
No, people are reporting that it is reducing it to $160 (10% off 200 twice is $40 off).
Old 09-02-08, 09:29 PM

Although many of you many have these already, I'm thinking on biting on the John Waters and Hitchcock collections. Other than the fact that I need to save my money for an upcoming trip, any reason why I shouldn't?
Old 09-02-08, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Classic Films
Per the offer:

Don’t see your discount? Type in promotion code : B1G1WARNR0808 at checkout

motherfucker

cs better be able to take care of it.
Old 09-02-08, 10:49 PM
Web
Cool New Member

You could have got all this stuff at Borders.com for 80% off Sunday night.
Old 09-02-08, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For the people confused about how Live.com works...

You have to first go to the Live.com website and signup. Then, when you have verified your enrollment through the e-mail they send you - you can go to the Live.com website and sign in. Click on "Cashback" in the upper right-hand side of the screen. Click on "and shop at 100's of stores" on the bottom right. Click on the big letter "D". Click on "Deep Discount". This will take you to DD's website.

Select items to put in your shopping cart like you normally would. When you checkout at DD, your cart will look exactly the same as if you hadn't used Live.com at all. It should appear like any other Buy 1, Get 1 sale. If half your items aren't listed as FREE, enter the promotion code: B1G1WARNR0808

Live.com gives you CASH BACK about 2 months after your purchase. It is NOT a 'discount' in the normal sense.

The cash back will be equal to 20% of your purchase price, because Live.com also gives you 10% cash back on the regular price of your FREE item, in addition to the one you pay for.
Old 09-03-08, 01:46 AM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by beesonosu
Although many of you many have these already, I'm thinking on biting on the John Waters and Hitchcock collections. Other than the fact that I need to save my money for an upcoming trip, any reason why I shouldn't?
Actually, that's just the combo I would love to have picked up here. But it figures that I finally ordered the Hitchcock set for $50 from Amazon last month and it's too late to send it back.

Even though I'm in no position to buy anything at the moment, I might bite on Forbidden Planet and The Val Lewton Collection before the sale ends.
Old 09-03-08, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Order 1:

1 WBD067976 DVD : AGATHA CHRISTIE'S MISS MARPLE $ In-stock
1 WBD071331 DVD : FILM NOIR CLASSICS COLLECTION 2 $ 38.38 In-stock
Merchandise Total: $ 38.38
Tax: $ .00
Shipping & Processing: $ .00
Total for this Order: $ 38.38

....and I also received an email confirming $7.70 added to my live.com account.
Old 09-03-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The live.com offer was cut back to 4% today. I would have done a few more orders if I knew it was going to end. At least I'm glad I got some orders in yesterday while it was 10%.
Old 09-03-08, 02:35 PM

I found out after an order was placed today as well - even though the Live.com website still indicates 10%. Luckily I placed a larger order last night before I went to bed.
Old 09-04-08, 09:12 PM

Picked up Controversial Classics and John Wayne-John Ford. Been waiting for a good price on that set for a long time now.

Really trying to resist picking up Film Noir 2&3.
Old 09-04-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by theflicker
Really trying to resist picking up Film Noir 2&3.
Don't fight it. On Dangerous Ground is an absolutely essential noir. Border Incident, Crossfire and The Narrow Margin are very good as well. The first noir set is the only one without a single misstep, but at around four bucks a film, this is probably as cheap as these sets will get.
Old 09-06-08, 07:45 AM

I picked up The Katharine Hepburn Collection, Val Lewton Collection, Film Noir Volume 3, and the Motion Picture Masterpiece Collection. I tried the cashback thing from live.com, but it's not working for me yet. I've got customer service working on the problem.

I'll return for more after I make this month's Discover card payment. I know the Cult Camp Classics V1 is great, but can anyone weigh in on the merits of the other Cult Camp collections? I'm tempted to come back for all of them when I make my second trip.
Old 09-06-08, 09:29 AM
Web
Cool New Member

For me, the Cult Camp Classics V3 & 4 are the best of them. The movies in Vol 3 all have decent casts and hold your attention. Vol 4 is the best, esp if you like biblical-type epics. Good casts in each. Vol 1 & 2 are just bad movies, maybe good for a laugh.
Old 09-06-08, 11:59 AM
kk8
Cool New Member

Man I could order so much, too bad I missed the 10% live.com but I'll take 4% so far Hitckcock Signature and Bogart Collection $35.36/each.
Old 09-06-08, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Web
For me, the Cult Camp Classics V3 & 4 are the best of them. The movies in Vol 3 all have decent casts and hold your attention. Vol 4 is the best, esp if you like biblical-type epics. Good casts in each. Vol 1 & 2 are just bad movies, maybe good for a laugh.
The reason I even learned about these sets is because Sergio Leone's Colossus of Rhodes is included in v4. As a huge fan of all of his other films, this set was a no brainer.
Old 09-06-08, 02:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Web
From another perspective, I love volumes 1 & 2 and bought them when they first came out. (In fact, "Caged" on Vol 2 has a rating of 8/10 on IMDB although I'm sure the rest of the flicks in 1 & 2 don't come close ) Picked up 3 not too long ago but don't have much interest in 4 since I'm not a fan of historical epics. Still, I would have picked up 4 in this sale with 3 if I had still needed it.

I did order Thin Man Collection and the Val Lewton set. Thanks, OP.

I'm on the fence over the Noir sets.
Old 09-07-08, 12:16 PM

For those of you eyeing the Scorsese Collection, the packaging reflects the correct films, the description does not - The Aviator, The Departed, Goodfellas, and Mean Streets. However, beware - the two disc version of the Aviator included in this set is FULLSCREEN. The other films are all widescreen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.