DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Hot!!! B1G1 Offer on Criterion titles at DD (Starts 7/16 and ends 7/29) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/535540-hot-b1g1-offer-criterion-titles-dd-starts-7-16-ends-7-29-a.html)

BuddhaWake 07-20-08 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by EEz28
Shock Corridor is going to be re-released ya know

Can you give more info on the re-release if you have it? thanks.

NoirFan 07-20-08 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake

There's nothing definitive as of yet, but both Shock Corridor and Naked Kiss have been rumored as very likely candidates for re-release. Probably wouldn't be until December at the earliest, since we pretty much know Criterion's schedule through November.

dlinke01 07-20-08 07:20 PM

Got Mishima and Seven Samurai.

wilky61 07-20-08 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Stanwyck is superb as always - that woman was a force of nature! Beautiful packaging on the set. The ending was pretty weak, as it tried to put a positive spin on the two main characters, and in doing so seemed to directly contradict the preceding 90 minutes. Still worth owning for all fans of Mann, Stanwyck, and/or Westerns.

I disagree with you there. The ending that Walter Huston's character receives is perfect given the major theme of the film.

NoirFan 07-20-08 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by wilky61
I disagree with you there. The ending that Walter Huston's character receives is perfect given the major theme of the film.

Spoiler:
His death is certainly in keeping with the film's themes, but the scenes leading up to his death portray him as a lovable ol' rascal who even has a theme song written for him, when he is fact a cold-blooded, ruthless killer. Also, Stanwyck horribly disfigures another woman, but that act is forgotten about completely. Stanwyck even ends up marrying Wendell Corey's character, a man who are we are led to believe is an unfeeling, shallow con man, until he makes nice with the equally redeemed Huston.

zoran009 07-20-08 08:15 PM

Any idea if bluray versions will be included soon?

NoirFan 07-20-08 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by zoran009
Any idea if bluray versions will be included soon?

No Criteron Blu until November. Discussion thread here.

Ringmaster 07-20-08 09:28 PM

I want to get "Scenes from A Marriage"

From the list I already own "Seven Samurai", "Ran", "Ikiru", "Yojimbo", "Sanjuro" ,"Beauty and the Beast", "Fear and loathing in Las Vegas" and "The Last Temptation of Christ" (The remastered "High & Low" is on the way to my house as we speak) .

I would get "Rashomon" or "The Hidden Fortress" but I have a feeling Criterion will re-release these films with better film and audio transfers later.

I have my eye on "Le Samouri", "Videodrome", or "Drunken Angel".

Any suggestions on these or other titles I should pick up for the free pick?

wilky61 07-20-08 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
I want to get "Scenes from A Marriage"

From the list I already own "Seven Samurai", "Ran", "Ikiru", "Yojimbo", "Sanjuro" ,"Beauty and the Beast", "Fear and loathing in Las Vegas" and "The Last Temptation of Christ" (The remastered "High & Low" is on the way to my house as we speak) .

I would get "Rashomon" or "The Hidden Fortress" but I have a feeling Criterion will re-release these films with better film and audio transfers later.

I have my eye on "Le Samouri", "Videodrome", or "Drunken Angel".

Any suggestions on these or other titles I should pick up for the free pick?

I know I sound like a broken record here, but Drunken Angel is my favorite Kurosawa film and I feel it's definitely underappreciated. I think it offers his deepest insight and critique on Japanese traditions (both historically and post-war) and the drama is quite compelling emotionally/thematically. Takashi really steals the show here with Toshiro Mifune overstating his acting performance a bit.

Le Samourai, I saw for the first time about three days ago, and I was blown away. Absolute masterpiece. I've watched probably 75 films over the past two months and I'd say it's the best one I've seen since the summer began. It really is the closest to a perfect film I've seen since The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. Melville's movement and expression with the camera as he films this is incredible. The film is very dialogue-sparse, but despite saying little it accomplishes much (trademark of Melville's style). After watching this, Alain Delon in this role has become the new definition of "cool" for me (with apologies to Harry Calahan), and this film wraps up nicely with a beautiful, yet aching send-off. If you liked films such as The Graduate (stylistically/cinematography) and Taxi Driver (hard-boiled theme of loneliness) then you will absolutely adore this movie.

Videodrome... if you haven't seen it before then I don't recommend a blind-buy. Videodrome is like a cross between Brazil (stylistically) and Network (content-wise) so if you're into those films, you may like it. Myself... I just don't dig the whole Cronenberg/Lynch/Bergman/Brazil(Gilliam) surrealist style.

Aside from those films, from the 32.xx range, The Wages of Fear and Bicycle Thieves are great choices, as is La Haine if you're a fan of Taxi Driver and stylish cinematography.

In the 24.xx range, I would point toward Godard's Band of Outsiders, the best of his films I've seen so far (haven't seen Pierrot Le Fou yet :() and Blast of Silence for an underrated crime-drama with noir throwbacks.

jdpatri 07-20-08 10:55 PM

If you're not familiar with Videodrome, rent it. This is not a movie to which I can give a wide recommendations. I like it, but it's not very all tastes. Drunken Angel is solid. You can't go wrong there, particularly if you love the Kurosawa spectrum. If I had to pick one, however, Le Samouri is undoubtedly a cool flick. It's one of those movies that just leaves vivid visual imprints on your brain...

NoirFan 07-20-08 11:37 PM

Okay, I understand why 3 disc sets like The Leopard and Battle of Algiers are $49.99 list price, but what's the deal with Spartacus? As far as I can tell, it is just a normal 2 discer.

alfonsosoriano 07-21-08 12:26 AM

I can second that previous statement for Le Samourai. I saw it this summer and it rocketed into my top 10 favorite films.

IanUngstad 07-21-08 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake

Shock Corridor and The Naked Kiss are being remastered and will be solicited along with the previously unreleased Fuller film White Dog in December. Sweet month if your a Fuller fan. The December release date came from an individual who attended a White Dog screening in Los Angeles, but the confirmation about the rereleases of these two films and a dvd for White Dog has come from Criterion themselves.

NoirFan 07-21-08 12:57 AM

Well that's great news. The only copy of White Dog I've been able to come across was dubbed into French, which made watching ... difficult. There are so many great Fuller films still waiting for a dvd release, it can drive you crazy - not to mention the oft-delayed Fantoma release of Dead Pigeon on Beethoven Street.

illennium 07-21-08 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by wilky61
(haven't seen Pierrot Le Fou yet :()

My favorite film of all time.

moviehead21 07-21-08 11:41 AM

When do you guys think the Backorder DVD's will come in?

alfonsosoriano 07-21-08 11:43 AM

Why doesn't DD carry Bob le flambeur? Is it one of those titles they claim is out of print?

MikeDeN2K 07-21-08 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by moviehead21
When do you guys think the Backorder DVD's will come in?

Depends on the film. Some will still ship within a day or two, others can take a couple of weeks.

toddly6666 07-21-08 12:44 PM

I ordered the HATE and PLAYTIME dvds which were both on BACK ORDER on 7/17, and just got the email today, 7/21 that they shipped today.

lohengrin 07-21-08 01:07 PM

I ordered Mishima on July 16 (back-ordered), and got the notice this morning that it had shipped. Still MIA: Elevator to the Gallows and 49th Parallel.

It's a shame Trafic and Vampyr weren't a part of the sale.

cgray 07-21-08 01:15 PM

DD upgraded my upper tier order, as I had more than a couple titles (good way to catch up the newer releases! Good way to catch up on the very-older releases, as I never felt good paying $22 for barebones early releases).

Arrived today via UPS after shipping notice was sent on 7/14.

ehilbert 07-21-08 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Neil, reading the OP's question, I think he's more interested in why folks swarm all over Criterion releases of movies that he, to be frank, doesn't find to be all that terribly interesting.

Criterion pretty much set the standard for the "Special Edition" concept, ever since back in the days of Laserdiscs. Top-quality transfers (frequently from HD sources), documentaries, extras, etc, etc. They take movies - from mainstream titles like Armageddon and Traffic, to lesser known and foreign titles - and produce just about "the" best product money can buy. But if, as the OP points out, you don't like the movie in the first place, no amount of window dressing or prettying up is likely to get you interested enough to plunk down $25-35 for it.

There was a really good thread on this exact topic over at HTF from 7 years ago:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...ollection.html

Excerpt:Hope this helps.

Thank you for the info. Again I was just wondering why. Your info helped a lot. It was better than "Because we want to watch them". That why I don't post much. You ask a question and people can't want to pounce on you with a smart ass remark. I know people buy things because they want to watch them. I have Traffic, Armegeddon and Silence of the lambs that are Criterion. They make great disks. I was curious about the obscure movies is all.

jmj713 07-21-08 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by lohengrin
It's a shame Trafic and Vampyr weren't a part of the sale.

How do you know that? They aren't released till tomorrow and the sale runs till the 29th.

Lipid 07-21-08 03:33 PM

Did Criterion mention if they are going to re-release EVERY title that's currently on DVD to Blu-ray?

I'd hate to wait on buying some of the DVDs during this sale in expectations of buying the blu-ray later only to find out they lost the rights or never had any intention of releasing "Film B" on Blu-ray.

excom101 07-21-08 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lipid
Did Criterion mention if they are going to re-release EVERY title that's currently on DVD to Blu-ray?

I'd hate to wait on buying some of the DVDs during this sale in expectations of buying the blu-ray later only to find out they lost the rights or never had any intention of releasing "Film B" on Blu-ray.

At this point, they've only announced 13 or so titles. They've not said that they will re-release the whole back catalog. Even if they do, at a rate of 3 a month it will take more than 10 years.