DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Hot!!! B1G1 Offer on Criterion titles at DD (Starts 7/16 and ends 7/29) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/535540-hot-b1g1-offer-criterion-titles-dd-starts-7-16-ends-7-29-a.html)

That'sAllFolks 07-19-08 03:49 PM

I know I want Hopscotch, but am trying to decide between Alphaville and Vanishiing.

Any other 24.xx titles worth getting. Probably prefer sci-fi or thrillers. Most Criterion comedies do not appeal to me.

alfonsosoriano 07-19-08 04:01 PM

Le Samourai or Blast of Silence. I think they are both $24.

vcuram 07-19-08 06:47 PM

OMG~!! I'll never order from DD again!

I had four ship on 7/15 and two on 7/16. Received them today, 7/19 with free shipping. Three days? I had to wait three days?

Everything's in perfect shape, including The Furies and the Varda set, which are in those cases that are easily damaged.

alfonsosoriano 07-19-08 06:53 PM

Wow, these reports of quick shipping is awesome to hear.

chris_sc77 07-19-08 08:51 PM

What happened to Solo con tu Pareja?
Wasnt that part of this sale? It looks like it has disappeared and I cant find it on the site at all anymore...

NoirFan 07-19-08 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
What happened to Solo con tu Pareja?
Wasnt that part of this sale? It looks like it has disappeared and I cant find it on the site at all anymore...

"This item is no longer available." Looks like it's gone the way of Ugetsu and L'Avventura. This sale is really popular, though that's no surprise. DD's current top 20 is all Criterions - except for 5 (!) Thomas the Tank Engine dvds.

CritterYawn 07-19-08 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
They don't seem to carry it. Looks like it's gone the way of Ugetsu and L'Aventura. This sale is really popular, though that's no surprise. Their current top 20 is all Criterions - except for 5 (!) Thomas the Tank Engine dvds.

That may be because they also have a BOGO deal on Thomas the Tank Engine. It's on their front page.

wilky61 07-19-08 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I know I want Hopscotch, but am trying to decide between Alphaville and Vanishiing.

Any other 24.xx titles worth getting. Probably prefer sci-fi or thrillers. Most Criterion comedies do not appeal to me.

Of the 24.xx titles I'e seen, I second Le Samourai (a masterpiece of a film) and also suggest Bande a Part.

chris_sc77 07-19-08 11:33 PM

****Order #3**** (All 4 titles are blind-buys. Very sad Solo con tu Pareja isnt on here anymore. After doing some research on that one I was hopng to put that on this order but oh well.)
The 400 Blows
Au Hasard Balthazar
Le Samourai
The Milky Way

^Total for Order #3 = $48.55

****Order #4****
The Furies
The Double Life of Veronique

^Total for Order #4 = $32.36

____SO, all together so far I've ordered 18 Criterion titles since Monday. I received the 9 that were in-stock from my monday orders today which was a nice surprise. One additional title from a Monday order shipped yesterday.
Still thinking about a Spartacus/The Leopard order but I dont know. Ive already spent way too much.

NoirFan 07-19-08 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks

Isn't Hopscotch a comedy? If you go into Alphaville expecting a traditional sci-fi film, you will be very, very disappointed. The Vanishing is a good choice - a chilling suspense story with a truly haunting ending. As far as other lower-price thriller-type films, Eyes Without a Face and Sisters are both worth purchasing.

CritterYawn 07-20-08 12:13 AM

Was thinking to buy two Berlin Alexanderplatz. But the fleabay solution is not great, the last 3 listings ended at about $90 without bids. Haven't sold anything on CL yet. And no, I'm not planning to pair it with the Cassavetes box set. Still thinking about the $80 collections: Agnes Varda or Bergman (but I already ordered the Wild Strawberries).
Anyone near zip code 29631 wanting a brand new one for $50.60 to split the cost in half (it's currently $101.21)? If yes (very unlikely), please PM me.

kk8 07-20-08 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by beebs
I'm glad you posted that. So yeah, Sullivan's Travels, $7-8 barebones (but you have to buy 6 others at the same price). Or $16 for an SE (in this case a Criterion). I'm personally up for the extra eight or nine bucks but I do get something pretty nice for it. Tell you the truth, these Sturges films are so good, I'd pick up the Criterions and the box set including Unfaithfully Yours CC, for $12 in this sale, and not in the box set.

-beebs

That's what I did.
And Miracle at Morgan's Creek is on sale at Amazon.

NoirFan 07-20-08 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by beebs
Tell you the truth, these Sturges films are so good, I'd pick up the Criterions and the box set including Unfaithfully Yours CC, for $12 in this sale, and not in the box set.

The CC Sullivan's Travels includes a very good American Masters doc on Sturges, as well as a fun commentary track with Noah Baumbach, Kenneth Bowser, Christopher Guest and Michael McKean. Our Lady Eve only has a commentary track, but it's a more illuminating and in depth than the one on Travels. Now, if we could only get a quality release of the ill-fated The Sin of Harold Diddlebock.

zoran009 07-20-08 03:32 AM

How is LADY VANISHED? I want SAbu, wana add one more.

wilky61 07-20-08 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by zoran009

It's decent for what it is, a very early Hitchcock thriller. It kinda takes the idea behind Gaslight (1944) and applies it toward a typical Hitchcock-type murder plot instead. I rate it a 7 out of 10... it's a good movie but not in Hitchcock's top ten. It does take place on a train, however, that's always a plus. :up:

Bob Bunny 07-20-08 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by zoran009

I think it is great fun. To me it is the best of Hitchcock's British movies. I give it a high recommendation.

drak b 07-20-08 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Bunny
I think it is great fun. To me it is the best of Hitchcock's British movies. I give it a high recommendation.

I strongly second that. It's one of my favorite Hitchcock films and an excellent example of some of his best early work. Highly recommended.

zombeaner 07-20-08 10:38 AM

I received my first order from Monday. That is not super fast, but better than usual, I guess they were actually prepared this time.

DiggityDawg 07-20-08 11:48 AM

I snagged "Hoop Dreams" & "Tanner '88" for $24 & change. Can't beat that. They're backordered, but I'm in no hurry to get 'em.

BuckNaked2k 07-20-08 04:06 PM

1 HVD000201 DVD : RASHOMON (CRITERION) $32.39 Backorder
1 HVD001609 DVD : THRONE OF BLOOD (CRITERION) $32.39 Backorder
1 HVD001937 DVD : YOJIMBO (CRITERION) $32.36 Backorder
1 HVD001938 DVD : SANJURO (CRITERION) $32.36 In-stock

Merchandise Total: $ 64.78
Tax: $ .00
Shipping & Processing: $ .00

Total for this Order: $ 64.78 :D

Mondo Kane 07-20-08 04:50 PM

Settled for:

$24-Shock Corridor
(Free) Sweet Movie (Blind Buy. It helps that I'm into weird shit)

EEz28 07-20-08 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Settled for:

$24-Shock Corridor
(Free) Sweet Movie (Blind Buy. It helps that I'm into weird shit)

Shock Corridor is going to be re-released ya know

Mycroft1888 07-20-08 05:03 PM

My orders. Total $469.65 Something around $13 per movie. Only one in stock. I think they're going to straggle in between now and October!

Code:

DIARY OF A CHAMBERMAID (CRI $  24.29  Backorder
ALPHAVILLE (CRITERION)      $  24.29  Backorder
VANISHING (CRITERION), THE  $          Backorder
HOPSCOTCH (CRITERION)      $  24.29  Backorder
AND GOD CREATED WOMAN (CRIT $          Backorder
RIFIFI (CRITERION)          $          Backorder
HORSES MOUTH (CRITERION), T $  24.29  Backorder
LE SAMOURAI (CRITERION)    $          Backorder

Merchandise Total:    $      97.16

BLOB (CRITERION), THE      $  32.39  Backorder
RULING CLASS (CRITERION), T $          Backorder
LIFE & DEATH OF COLONEL BLI $          Backorder
SOLARIS (CRITERION)        $  32.39  Backorder
FEAR & LOATHING IN LAS VEGA $  32.39  Backorder
DEVIL & DANIEL WEBSTER (CRI $  32.39  Backorder
RULES OF THE GAME (CRITERIO $  32.39  Backorder
NAKED CITY (CRITERION), THE $          Backorder
BREATHLESS (CRITERION)      $          Backorder
LADY VANISHES (CRITERION),  $          Backorder

Merchandise Total:    $      161.95

INGMAR BERGMAN A FILM TRILO $  64.79  Backorder
3 FILMS BY LOUIS MALLE (CRI $  64.76  In-stock
OLIVIER'S SHAKESPEARE (CRIT $          Backorder
MONSTERS & MADMEN (CRITERIO $          Backorder

Merchandise Total:    $      129.55

GREAT ADAPTATIONS (CRITERIO $  80.99  Backorder
INGMAR BERGMAN-FOUR MASTERW $          Backorder

Merchandise Total:    $      80.99

BuckNaked2k 07-20-08 06:58 PM

Second Order:

1 HVD000429 DVD : BAND OF OUTSIDERS (CRITERION) $ 24.29 Backorder
1 HVD001891 DVD : 400 BLOWS (CRITERION) $ 24.26 Backorder

Merchandise Total: $ 24.29
Tax: $ .00
Shipping & Processing: $ .00

Total for this Order: $ 24.29

NoirFan 07-20-08 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Moviebuff909
and what does anyone know about The Furies?

Stanwyck is superb as always - that woman was a force of nature! Beautiful packaging on the set. The ending was pretty weak, as it tried to put a positive spin on the two main characters, and in doing so seemed to directly contradict the preceding 90 minutes. Still worth owning for all fans of Mann, Stanwyck, and/or Westerns.