Reload this Page >

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hariseldon
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only.

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Criterions, Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc.
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order

Return period is 14 days after delivery though possibly it's 30 days now for most people though there is a discrepancy b/w the receipt and website.
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept

Single Item 15% OFF, but should be reusable in different transaction and if the Clerks will scan it more than once.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/promo...100045:K7K8F3B
Expiration 12/31/2020 and despite the coupon language is only good for In-store coupon Eligible items.

The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016
"New Member" Welcome Coupons appear to be discontinued at least for now

Print Wikipost

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-14, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

New online coupons are now active.

25% off single item online CMONDAY14 Expires 12/2 2:59am ET

Save $20 off a $100 or more purchase online 20OFFDEC2 Expires 12/4 2:59am ET

Save $10 off a $75 or more purchase online BN10OFF75 Expires 12/4 2:59am ET

Last edited by Laser Movies; 11-30-14 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-01-14, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Any cheap items, say $0.99, that can be used to push an order up to the $25 free shipping threshold? I have a book I want that comes out to $24 and change with the new coupon.
Old 12-01-14, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
I'm beginning to wonder if the cracking down has something to do with the corporate bottom line, which makes me worry about the future of the stores. Again...
I have heard that Barnes & Noble isn't in particularly good shape. The Nook hasn't taken off like Amazon's Kindle and they're getting pinched in the drift toward digital sales. Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if the chain shut down in the next five years. The store I go to is huge, in an expensive shopping center, and it's never particularly busy.

EDIT: Or maybe not.

But, regardless of that, no business likes to lose money. Every Criterion they sold for $14 probably represented a net loss. Don't know how much they pay for them, or if they have some kind of deal in place with Criterion to get them at a reduced price, but when people are walking out of the store with stacks of $40 blu-rays that they're selling for thirty-five cents on the dollar, they might as well be watching someone shoplift a handful of them.

The coupon states one use per customer, and when you have people buying dozens of items in a separate transactions to skirt the rules it's going to be seen as a form of abuse.

I wonder if B&N corporate caught on to what people were doing and sent a memo/e-mail out to store managers to not let these go through. If this did happen, I suspect we won't see any more general use coupons, or if we do they will have restrictions that won't let them be used for items that are already on sale.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 12-01-14 at 03:24 AM.
Old 12-01-14, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think this talk of coupons going away is complete paranoia. How many years have we had people saying that coupons will not be available for the next sale due to "abuse" and then it's just business as usual every single time.

I would guess that B&N has some deal in place with Criterion for this sale, since it's promoted by Criterion itself (unlike say, an Amazon sale). Single-use coupons are pretty silly, in my opinion. You'll get many situations like Laser's this weekend where he was ready to spend much more money, but instead only purchased the bare minimum because he was only allowed one coupon.
Old 12-01-14, 07:43 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shagrath
I think this talk of coupons going away is complete paranoia. How many years have we had people saying that coupons will not be available for the next sale due to "abuse" and then it's just business as usual every single time.

I would guess that B&N has some deal in place with Criterion for this sale, since it's promoted by Criterion itself (unlike say, an Amazon sale). Single-use coupons are pretty silly, in my opinion. You'll get many situations like Laser's this weekend where he was ready to spend much more money, but instead only purchased the bare minimum because he was only allowed one coupon.
Agreed. Not long ago during one of the Criterion sales there was a restriction on using coupons on already discounted items like Criterion discs. I sense they may have seen a decrease in sales and decided to lift the restriction on one of the subsequent sales so we are at where we are now. Coupons are a loss-leader situation for stores where the coupons gets the person in the door hoping they will buy other items while they are there.
Old 12-01-14, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

My local B&N stores won't even allow the 30% coupon with the Criterion sale so consider yourself lucky if you get even one.
Old 12-01-14, 02:52 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

The 30% off worked online so those who were denied in store usage clearly had a manager in the wrong.

Also, I can't imagine that they're at a net loss with each criterion they sell. It would not make sense in a business model to offer coupons that people could then use on items to make you lose money ultimately. Barnes & Noble may not have the greatest business model, but I don't think they're that stupid. If they could possibly be used on items that would result in a net loss, I think they would have in big bold letters "excluding blu-rays" or whatever it may be.
Old 12-01-14, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I couldn't get the "25% off single item online" and "Save $20 off a $100 or more purchase online" to work together (big surprise). I'd hoped that one of them would be automatic, but alas, 'twas not to be. Still, good savings and thanks again to Laser.
Old 12-01-14, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shagrath
You'll get many situations like Laser's this weekend where he was ready to spend much more money, but instead only purchased the bare minimum because he was only allowed one coupon.
I knew going in with the one 30% coupon it might not go well trying to use it multiple times. I really wasn't too surprised at what happened. However it has been a while since the last time I have tried to see what the local stores would let you get away with on pushing the limits. Apparently nothing has changed.

I did manage to get the minimum Criterions I wanted out of the sale, but ended up having to work harder to get them. It took 3 trips to the stores along with 3 online orders for 7 Criterion blu-ray titles. Maybe I would have purchased 9 to 10 at the most if the stores were more lenient.
Old 12-01-14, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Look for possibly another online 20% coupon tonight at 12 ET with the code BNEBATES14. Depending when the Criterion sale ends there might not be much time to use it if you wanted to make a last minute order.

Coupon is now active!

Last edited by Laser Movies; 12-01-14 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-01-14, 06:17 PM

Does B&N ever have a sale or coupon in regards to
"Textbooks"?? Went to purchase a screenwriting book
that they say is a textbook. Neither the 30 or 25 percent
off worked. And I have already took advantage of Amazon's
30 percent off coupon. So im trying to figure out a way to
save some money.
Old 12-01-14, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kevy
Does B&N ever have a sale or coupon in regards to
"Textbooks"?? Went to purchase a screenwriting book
that they say is a textbook. Neither the 30 or 25 percent
off worked. And I have already took advantage of Amazon's
30 percent off coupon. So im trying to figure out a way to
save some money.
There have been specific coupons for books, but never remember one for textbooks. If you paid with a gift card you could look into getting some discounted cards to save some money.
Old 12-01-14, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks like the 50% off British TV sale is now up on the web site.
Old 12-01-14, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Laser Movies
They're advertising it, but it doesn't look like the prices are active yet. At least, not for the items I want, like Sherlock S3...
Old 12-01-14, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm seeing some prices at 50% off. May take a little time for everything to switch over.
Old 12-01-14, 11:22 PM

wow - there site is super-flakey right now. I'm putting things in my cart and trying to check out and they're disappearing on me. I'm not even sure if my orders are going through.... Something tells me I'm going to be paying these guys a phone call tomorrow to see if my orders were picked up...
Old 12-01-14, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^
Were you trying to order Criterions?

I noticed the prices have increased on Criterions and that was probably why they were disappearing.
Old 12-01-14, 11:49 PM

^
Were you trying to order Criterions?

I noticed the prices have increased on Criterions and that was probably why they were disappearing.

Not at all - I was trying to purchase a book and cd. I think this is probably when they do server/database maintenece (most US companies do this in the middle of the night to minimize customer impact - with varying degrees of success).
Old 12-02-14, 05:37 PM

Jeez - even today the checkout is unstable. Things are entering and leaving my cart as I'm trying to check out... This is the type of stuff that seriously makes me wonder how this company stays in business.
Old 12-03-14, 09:10 AM

So which way is it working in the physical stores this year? All titles, no titles, most titles, or every title except the one I want (which isn't 50% off on the website, of course)?
Old 12-03-14, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by WhovianZorker
So which way is it working in the physical stores this year? All titles, no titles, most titles, or every title except the one I want (which isn't 50% off on the website, of course)?
Sorry I don't have an answer, but would suggest calling your local store to check with them. I thought last year the online sale was on a limited selection of titles, while stores were on all titles they had in stock. I would assume the sale is more or less the same this year.
Old 12-03-14, 08:12 PM

The guy in the store told me the British sale goes through 12/15. I'm pretty sure that any British titles in the store at least would be included (including Acorn, etc). But even looking on line it appears that pretty much everything is included (with the exception of things which aren't release yet - e.g. Doctor Who Season 8)
Old 12-03-14, 08:14 PM

On a side-note - its amazing how quickly this board slows down after the Criterion sale...
Old 12-04-14, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have 20% store and online coupons if anyone needs any. Coupons are valid through Sunday.
Old 12-04-14, 11:13 AM
Cool New Member

I'll take one in store and one online code if you can Laser, thanks

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.