Reload this Page >

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hariseldon
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only.

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Criterions, Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc.
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order

Return period is 14 days after delivery though possibly it's 30 days now for most people though there is a discrepancy b/w the receipt and website.
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept

Single Item 15% OFF, but should be reusable in different transaction and if the Clerks will scan it more than once.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/promo...100045:K7K8F3B
Expiration 12/31/2020 and despite the coupon language is only good for In-store coupon Eligible items.

The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016
"New Member" Welcome Coupons appear to be discontinued at least for now

Print Wikipost

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-12, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Originally Posted by kd5
That's just wonderful of them to do that after I'd already decided to buy one of the 2 DVDs I'd planned to use the rest of my gift card for (less discounts). Now I don't have enough left to get the other one...

With the games they like to play, I doubt that I'll continue with this membership once the trial runs out. Besides, $25 would negate any savings I've accrued anyway, and with my next (potential) gift card 6 months away (or longer), it wouldn't be worth it to me to keep it. Any time I saved money with my member discounts, the $25 annual membership fee would nullify the savings. -kd5-
I hear you. Because of the coupon restrictions yesterday I ended up not getting a thing with the 25% code. What pissed me off most is that a lot of things where coming up not eligible, and there was no way to know it until you entered the coupon code. Nothing on the product page even indicated you could not use coupons.

I have been able to get my moneys worth out the membership every year that I've had one. I have no problem renewing again if they offer a steady supply of coupons along with some decent sales and prices to go along with it. I have a bunch of giftcards and just hope I'll be able to use them up before my membership expires in mid July if things keep going downhill.

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Perhaps we are starting to see the first signs of a post-Borders b&m bookstore monopoly. If so, it's a mistake and it won't work. Now with Amazon apparently taking on some new and vastly inferior pricing policies and structuring and more and more states adding sales tax, it would be a good time for B&N to seize some of their castoff business. Instead they are discouraging same by imposing new restrictions that make their already diminished appearance shine even less.

Why do businesses always think they have to reinvent the wheel?
It sort of looks that way with B&N. There have been fewer coupons lately, more coupon restrictions on sales, cashback percentages have been cut, or completely eliminated for B&N at some web sites. I guess they think there is less competition to worry about now.

I'm also not looking forward to paying sales tax at Amazon starting this September either. I have been buying fewer DVDs and blu-rays at Amazon the last several years, but buying more of other things from them since I can often get free shipping and save on the sales tax.
Old 05-09-12, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I found a couple of new store coupons valid May 10 through May 13. No online codes. I'll add these to the first page when I have the time.

Old 05-09-12, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps we are starting to see the first signs of a post-Borders b&m bookstore monopoly. If so, it's a mistake and it won't work. Now with Amazon apparently taking on some new and vastly inferior pricing policies and structuring and more and more states adding sales tax, it would be a good time for B&N to seize some of their castoff business. Instead they are discouraging same by imposing new restrictions that make their already diminished appearance shine even less.

Why do businesses always think they have to reinvent the wheel?
In news that might be related, I've heard from authors and publishers that B&N is stocking fewer books, and less copies of new releases that once were guaranteed sales. For example, Installment #6 in a series sold 8 copies, then Installment #7 in that series sold 7 copies. With Borders' bankruptcy it was thought that B&N might order 9-10 copies to fulfill their past customers' needs and have a couple more on hand for any Borders customers. Instead, they say that B&N is ordering, say, 3 copies, figuring that people who are exclusively Brick & Mortar shoppers are stuck and will then special order it from B&N if they want it.

I'm not sure of the logic here, perhaps it's meant to cut down on inventory sitting around too long? Maybe to convert more people into pre-orders? I don't know, but it completely went against what the authors and publishers thought would happen after Borders.
Old 05-09-12, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

^ and the ironic thing is, their own website frequently undercuts their B&M pricing. So, those people driven to the web will be taking sales away from their own stores, OR buying it even cheaper on Amazon since one website is just as good as another.

I suppose it's also a factor of more and more people buying e-books. I was browsing a B&N the other day, and noticed their history section had been moved and greatly reduced from its former size. In its place was a bunch of board games and Angry Birds stuff...
Old 05-09-12, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
I'm also not looking forward to paying sales tax at Amazon starting this September either. I have been buying fewer DVDs and blu-rays at Amazon the last several years, but buying more of other things from them since I can often get free shipping and save on the sales tax.
I'm in the same situation in California, but I had read that a proposition fighting the Amazon tax was going to be on the November ballot and would almost surely pass. But last time I checked the proposition is NOT on the ballot and Amazon has stopped their aggressive lobbying against the tax. Apparently they struck some deal to have two warehouses in the state and now seemingly have no concerns of losing business because of the tax.

It will sure cut down my purchases, especially impulse ones. It will force me to keep a closer eye on places like GoHastings where I don't get charged tax and where they have frequent sales which may now be stronger competition for Amazon.
Old 05-09-12, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm in the same situation in California, but I had read that a proposition fighting the Amazon tax was going to be on the November ballot and would almost surely pass. But last time I checked the proposition is NOT on the ballot and Amazon has stopped their aggressive lobbying against the tax. Apparently they struck some deal to have two warehouses in the state and now seemingly have no concerns of losing business because of the tax.

It will sure cut down my purchases, especially impulse ones. It will force me to keep a closer eye on places like GoHastings where I don't get charged tax and where they have frequent sales which may now be stronger competition for Amazon.
I remember initially Amazon was going to try and gather signatures to put a referendum on the ballot against the sales tax, but later changed their mind after striking a tax deal with Governor Brown. I think they realize they lost the tax fight since more and more states are reaching agreements with them to collect taxes on consumer purchases. However they were hoping there would be some sort of a national sales tax instead of a state by state approach. Not sure if that will ever happen, but no doubt the taxes are coming one way or the other.

I think Amazon believes the warehouses in CA will help them compete more with local stores by offering quicker delivery. Instead of having the sales tax advantage they are hoping to offer quicker delivery with the convenience of not having to leave the house to shop. That might be appealing to some people, but speaking for myself I still like to save money.

When they start collecting taxes I'm definitely going to look at the total price more closely before placing the order. One thing I liked about B&N is even though I pay sales tax there were ways to offset them with coupons and other discounts. One reason I got a B&N Mastercard was because of the 5% rebate on all purchases at B&N. It definitely helps take some of the sting out of the sales tax, while letting me pick up more savings with a coupon.
Old 05-10-12, 06:00 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I moved a couple years ago and now have to pay sales tax for Amazon purchases. Fortunately around the same time B&N reworked their online store to be more competitive online and between the sales, coupons, and free express delivery (due to B&N Members card) I've found B&N to often be the better choice for me when it comes to home video purchases even with still having to pay sales tax.

Last edited by Pulp Hero; 05-10-12 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-10-12, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree with you, LASER. I rarely, if ever, care how long something takes to get to me, especially media items. Faster delivery is a sad tradeoff for that extra hike in the purchase price. I know it's inevitable for all online transactions, but it still stings. Like you, I now am going to do more homework and see where the best deal lies.

In CA we get the tax imposed from DeepDiscount, the WB SHOP, FOX Store, SecondSpin, Wherehouse, et al. Enough already!
Old 05-10-12, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with you, LASER. I rarely, if ever, care how long something takes to get to me, especially media items. Faster delivery is a sad tradeoff for that extra hike in the purchase price. I know it's inevitable for all online transactions, but it still stings. Like you, I now am going to do more homework and see where the best deal lies.

In CA we get the tax imposed from DeepDiscount, the WB SHOP, FOX Store, SecondSpin, Wherehouse, et al. Enough already!
I've never been sure of this: What, exactly, constitutes whether an online business can charge sales tax in your state? I used to think sales tax was charged by businesses who also have B&M retail outlets in your state, but I've never been sure since Columbia House started charging sales tax. I live in AZ. I've been taxed by all the stores you listed except for Deep Discount & Fox. I'm not charged tax by Amazon, even though they have a Phoenix warehouse from which they ship.

I remember a long time ago getting charged sales tax from FYE when using up a gift card from relatives in Jersey. When I saw the tax, I was like "What?! There's no FYE stores in Phoenix!" (This was long before they merged with Wherehouse.) So I did location search for their nearest store, and discovered: they had 1 store in AZ. In Flagstaff, hah. I was being charged sales tax because they had 1 store in AZ it would take me 2 hours to drive to.

I've understood why BN.com charges sales tax, but I never understood what allowed Columbia House to start charging sales tax.
Old 05-11-12, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FYI, I've noticed in-store in the $4.99 DVD sections, they're starting to stock Paramount DVD combos. 2 separate Paramount DVDs shrinkwrapped back-to-back and sold for $4.99. A couple of bargain combos I remember are:

-Hunt for Red October/Patriot Games
-Star Trek II/Star Trek IV

Just thought I'd note this for you B&M DVD hunters.
Old 05-11-12, 09:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

...gohastings.com is also a great site..no sales tax and currently only 96cents to ship..
Old 05-11-12, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
I've never been sure of this: What, exactly, constitutes whether an online business can charge sales tax in your state?
To quote one of my favorite lines from THE TOWERING INFERNO:

"Payoffs and kickbacks, that's the only way they could've swung it."
Old 05-11-12, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It seems like it wasn't that long ago DeepDiscount had no sales tax and free shipping. Also the once very popular 20% off sales on virtually everything twice a year. Sadly it's all past history now. Used to be fun placing large orders and reading what everyone got.

I'll have to look into GoHastings in the future. Never purchased from them even though I've seen many bargain threads posted. Sounds like they might be one of the few tax free online stores remaining unless you buy outside of the United States

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
I've never been sure of this: What, exactly, constitutes whether an online business can charge sales tax in your state? I used to think sales tax was charged by businesses who also have B&M retail outlets in your state, but I've never been sure since Columbia House started charging sales tax. I live in AZ. I've been taxed by all the stores you listed except for Deep Discount & Fox. I'm not charged tax by Amazon, even though they have a Phoenix warehouse from which they ship.

I remember a long time ago getting charged sales tax from FYE when using up a gift card from relatives in Jersey. When I saw the tax, I was like "What?! There's no FYE stores in Phoenix!" (This was long before they merged with Wherehouse.) So I did location search for their nearest store, and discovered: they had 1 store in AZ. In Flagstaff, hah. I was being charged sales tax because they had 1 store in AZ it would take me 2 hours to drive to.

I've understood why BN.com charges sales tax, but I never understood what allowed Columbia House to start charging sales tax.
If you're not charged sales tax you're supposed pay tax for any unreported internet purchases on your state tax form. But who actually does. Just for the record I pay it for anyone that wants to send the Franchise Tax Board after me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. However states know it's not getting done by most consumers and want to close the loophole by making the online stores collect it for them.

Stores that collect sales tax I thought were supposed to have an actual physical presence in the state like a B&M store, warehouses, or offices. I'm not sure why Columbia House is collecting state sales tax unless there is some presence in different states that require them to collect tax.

I know Amazon didn't have a physical presence in the state of California, but the state tried to claim last year their affiliate program was enough of a physical presence for them to start collecting sales tax. Amazon immediately dropped the affiliates in the state. However they eventually caved, and customers will soon start paying taxes in a few more months. The benefit for them is they can now put warehouses CA. I'm wondering if they are getting special tax breaks from the state for these new agreements. Payoffs and kickbacks in the cover of darkness wouldn't surprise me.
Old 05-12-12, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll have to look into GoHastings in the future. Never purchased from them even though I've seen many bargain threads posted. Sounds like they might be one of the few tax free online stores remaining unless you buy outside of the United States
Gohastings is not a tax free online store. They have Hastings stores all over the country so they are only tax free for people without a store in their state. I have to pay pax because there are a few stores somewhere in this state. It's a shame the laws are more localized. I don't have a store within 100 miles and I've never been to one so the stores aren't losing my business. Oh well.
Old 05-12-12, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jwstl
Gohastings is not a tax free online store. They have Hastings stores all over the country so they are only tax free for people without a store in their state. I have to pay pax because there are a few stores somewhere in this state. It's a shame the laws are more localized. I don't have a store within 100 miles and I've never been to one so the stores aren't losing my business. Oh well.
Sorry I should have been more clear. The context of my post in reply to ProfessorEcho was meant for internet stores that ship to California. I realize sales tax collection does vary depending on the locations of the companies and the states they are located in.
Old 05-14-12, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got a 20% BN Buzz coupon over the weekend that is good ONLINE! Should work for non-members too.
K3Y3L4T

As usual, it says it is valid for 3 days, but typically lasts longer...
Old 05-14-12, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^
Thanks! Added the new code to the first page. It has been a while since B&N issued the last one. Yeah, you can't really predict how long these will work because the coupon information lacks a specific expiration date. I would say at least a week or more.

Looks like some more coupons should be coming later in the week as well. Another 20% coupon for members, and a 15% for all customers.
Old 05-16-12, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

New store coupons are now available. Also added two new online codes to the first page.

Old 05-20-12, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The 20% coupon for non-members has expired, are there any other 20% non-member codes? Thanks.
Old 05-20-12, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NoirFan
The 20% coupon for non-members has expired, are there any other 20% non-member codes? Thanks.
I'm not sure if there is another 20% coupon code available. Have to wait and see if anyone that gets B&N Buzz offers via text messages received any new coupons. That has been the source for most of these coupons lately for non-members.
Old 05-21-12, 07:28 AM

I'm not sure if there is another 20% coupon code available. Have to wait and see if anyone that gets B&N Buzz offers via text messages received any new coupons. That has been the source for most of these coupons lately for non-members.
Got this one on Friday: M9J8E4W. I thought it was the same code as the one posted on 5/14, but I just checked it when I noticed someone said the other one had already expired. It's weird that I didn't always receive these Buzz coupons on the same day that others did and that I am now receiving completely different coupons (I never received K3Y3L4T).
Old 05-21-12, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pathman
Got this one on Friday: M9J8E4W. I thought it was the same code as the one posted on 5/14, but I just checked it when I noticed someone said the other one had already expired. It's weird that I didn't always receive these Buzz coupons on the same day that others did and that I am now receiving completely different coupons (I never received K3Y3L4T).
Thanks! Added the new code to the first page. Not sure when exactly the last code expired since I don't check them everyday, but they probably sent that one out near the expiration. My guess this latest code will expire on a Saturday or Sunday. Looks like they are valid for about a week after they send them out.

Evidently they must be splitting up the groups who receive coupons and are sending different codes. I would suggest anyone that gets a buzz coupon in the future should make sure it's not the same one we already have.
Old 05-21-12, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm wondering if this could be the last of the BN Buzz 20% codes. I noticed today BN released coupon information for some future coupons that look as if they are future buzz coupons, but they are only for 15% off one item. Also payment says it requires a Visa card for payment. The 20% coupons never listed a credit card restriction even though BN Buzz is a Visa offer.

http://cart2.barnesandnoble.com/shop...&promoid=10584

15% Off One Item Coupon Details:

This coupon can be redeemed only once per customer per billing address online at BN.com. Customer must make full payment with a Visa(R) card for discounts to apply.

This coupon is valid 3 days after receiving offer, while supplies last.

The 15% discount will be applied to the most expensive eligible item in the order - not the entire purchase - and will be deducted after all other eligible discounts, including (if applicable) the standard Member discount, are applied.

Additional Rules Governing Use of this Coupon: This coupon is (i) not redeemable for cash or cash equivalents (including Gift Cards and online Gift Certificates); (ii) not valid on past purchases; (iii) not eligible for purchases of the following products and services: Barnes & Noble Memberships, Gift Cards, Gift Certificates, gift-wrapping, textbooks, video games, digital content (including but not limited to NOOK Books(TM), NOOK Magazines(TM), and NOOK Periodicals), NOOK(r) devices, NOOK accessories that are already discounted, other hardware and electronics, software, products available for pre-order, products from the Rosetta Stone Series, products available for in-store ship-to-home orders, or products marked as not eligible for "coupons or promotional discounts," (iv) not valid on purchases made from third parties accessible from the BN.com website (e.g., used books, PC and video games, etc.); (v) not valid at hp.bn.com (vi) not valid on applicable sales tax or shipping or handling expenses; (vii) may not be combined with any other coupon or promotional discount; and (viii) may not be combined with the Educator program discount. This coupon is not valid at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores or websites. Void where prohibited by law.

This offer is subject to change or discontinuation without notice; we will, however, honor properly placed orders with valid methods of payment with sufficient funds placed prior to such change or discontinuation. Barnes & Noble is not responsible for typographical or pictorial errors.
Old 05-23-12, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

More printable store coupons are now available. Also added some new online codes to the first page.

Old 05-23-12, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure if there is another 20% coupon code available.
It turns out the book I was interested in is classified as a 'textbook' - even though it isn't - so no discounts apply anyway.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.