Reload this Page >

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hariseldon
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only.

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Criterions, Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc.
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order

Return period is 14 days after delivery though possibly it's 30 days now for most people though there is a discrepancy b/w the receipt and website.
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept

Single Item 15% OFF, but should be reusable in different transaction and if the Clerks will scan it more than once.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/promo...100045:K7K8F3B
Expiration 12/31/2020 and despite the coupon language is only good for In-store coupon Eligible items.

The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016
"New Member" Welcome Coupons appear to be discontinued at least for now

Print Wikipost

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-11, 03:02 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Originally Posted by dougb222
Beatles Mono box set is half-price online right now ($149.49). Does anyone know if it's that price in-store as well? Might be worth the 30+ miles to get one if it were only $75. My online coupon was good for 30% off, but I'd much rather save more dough.
it's not carried in store anymore
Old 03-31-11, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ship-to-home ordered the Tron 2-Movie Collection on Blu-ray for $26.28 out the door. Now I don't have to go through the hassle of going to Target next week and hoping they take my coupons.
Old 03-31-11, 03:39 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Nate the Great
Seems to be a glitch somewhere, but it might just be me.

When I've tried to put two eligible B1G1-half TV sets in my cart, it's not taking the 50% off the second, lower priced set. This is after triple-checking that I'm adding two eligible sets to the cart, going all the way up to the last step before you purchase the order, etc.

Dunno what that's all about ...
I have tried several combinations, and I have received a discount at checkout each time, but it appears they have tweaked the calculation in their favor this time, and the 50% discount is not off the already discounted online price. The discount is calculated as 50% off List (Full) Price less any % off that has already been applied to the List Price. So if the list price of the lowest item is $39.99, and it is already discounted to 20% off - $31.99 (the online price), the additional discount at checkout is 50% x $39.99 less 20% x $39.99 = $12.00 instead of 50% x $31.99 = $16.00. I don't know it this was intentional or a programming error, since the sale details appear to indicate the 50% discount will be applied to the Online price. In any case, the more the list price is already discounted, the smaller the additional discount at checkout will be. I never actually completed any purchases after I saw how the discount was being applied.
Old 03-31-11, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I plan on picking up a Criterion blu tomorrow... now to decide which one.
Old 03-31-11, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by clintilona
Just ship-to-home ordered the Tron 2-Movie Collection on Blu-ray for $26.28 out the door. Now I don't have to go through the hassle of going to Target next week and hoping they take my coupons.
That will be part of tomorrow's order along with a CD set or 2. I was hesitant but I did get the Ten Commandments set in store instead of looking for a ship to home opportunity. The difference in price between online and the store was negligible after my member discount: 35.09 online, 36.45 in store.
Old 03-31-11, 05:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brendagg
I have tried several combinations, and I have received a discount at checkout each time, but it appears they have tweaked the calculation in their favor this time, and the 50% discount is not off the already discounted online price. The discount is calculated as 50% off List (Full) Price less any % off that has already been applied to the List Price. So if the list price of the lowest item is $39.99, and it is already discounted to 20% off - $31.99 (the online price), the additional discount at checkout is 50% x $39.99 less 20% x $39.99 = $12.00 instead of 50% x $31.99 = $16.00. I don't know it this was intentional or a programming error, since the sale details appear to indicate the 50% discount will be applied to the Online price. In any case, the more the list price is already discounted, the smaller the additional discount at checkout will be. I never actually completed any purchases after I saw how the discount was being applied.
Thank you! I thought I was going crazy, or somehow being penalized for trying too many combinations of coupons that weren't working.

That, what you're saying makes sense, too. One of my choices was already online-priced at 40% off, and I kept getting merely a 10% discount. Didn't put 2 & 2 together until now. And of course, now ... Duh, y'know?
Old 03-31-11, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brendagg
This makes me even more pleased that I picked up Mad Men Season 4 in store today. I almost waited until I returned to my hotel to see if I could find a second item on sale online but if I had waited I would have been sorely disappointed.
Old 03-31-11, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by wormraper
it's not carried in store anymore
They never sold the ones they originally got! (Gee, I wonder why...)
Old 03-31-11, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If anyone has an online code for 30% or better they won't be using I would be interested. There are a couple of low price things I'd get online instead of ship to home and not worry too much about the price difference. B&N doesn't send me anything of value any longer.
Old 03-31-11, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wormraper

maybe get the Dragon tattoo blu's as well (on sale at 40% already for the first 2 and 30% off for the 3rd)

Thanks for the info regarding the % off on these titles. I stopped by a B&N this afternoon with my sister and was able to get the last 2(I already own Dragon Tattoo) in the series for around $24 with the non-member coupon.
Old 03-31-11, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Thanks for the info regarding the % off on these titles. I stopped by a B&N this afternoon with my sister and was able to get the last 2(I already own Dragon Tattoo) in the series for around $24 with the non-member coupon.
no problem. just got back from there myself and scored 1 and 2. (almost got three but didn't want to push my luck with the cashier)
Old 03-31-11, 07:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I ended up picking up a Criterion blu at two of my local stores. They are always strict about only using one coupon, so I wasn't going to push my luck.
Old 03-31-11, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

It seems using two coupons on B2G1@50% TV sets negates the 50% off sale on the second item.

I was able to use two 50% coupons on two TV sets, but the receipt showed it was off the price after member discount, without the sale discount being applied. Essentially, the final price was the same as if I had used one coupon.

Has anyone had a different experience?
Old 03-31-11, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dougb222
If you look at the file name of the image that Lasermovies has posted on page one, the 502001 coupon reads "0331_non_coupon_50prcnt_37767.gif". Is that B&N nomenclature, or Lasermovies' own naming convention? (If the latter, sorry for the dumb question!)
Old 03-31-11, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by ResIpsa
lol, yeah, that was barnes and nobles f-up. not to give it away or anything lol
Old 03-31-11, 08:24 PM

When I stopped into B&N today, some Blu-rays were already labelled with discounts for 30-40% off, including The Social Network, Cool Hand Luke, Baraka, The African Queen, and The Fly.

Picked up Baraka for $9.44 + tax ($34.99 - 40% label discount = $20.99, $20.99 - 10% member discount = $18.89, $18.99 - 50% coupon = $9.44).

All YMMV, of course. The Social Network has a 30% off label, so it should work out to $11.02 if the above discounts apply.
Old 03-31-11, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, what an experience. 1st store I went to, I bought "The Walking Dead" on blu. It was labeled 20% off, so I figured it would be $18 + tax. The first cashier had no clue how to handle that coupon, since it didn't state the percentage. So he got another cashier to help him. Well, it rang up with only 10% off instead of 20%, but I didn't notice until after I paid and saw the receipt. They had to call a manager. He couldn't figure out how to re-ring it at the correct amount. So he called the other manager on duty. Next thing I know, practically every single friggin employee in the store knows that I have just used a 50% off coupon. After they fix it and I get my lousy $2.13 refund (wasnt worth my effort), I head downstairs to the customer service desk, where I wanted to do a Ship to Home on LOTR Extended. Of course, the original cashier was manning the desk. I figured I would go ahead and do it, but make no mention of the coupon, since I know I can't pay there. I thought I was free and clear, but as he handed me the receipt he says "you know you can't get any additional discounts on this price, right? You're already saving $36." I tell him yes, and head up front. He follows me. He watches the cashier ring me up, and says "I just want to make sure you're getting free shipping." Ya, right. After she gives me the total, and I pull out my wallet, he seems satisfied and slowly walks away. I begin fumbling through my wallet, pretending to have difficulty finding the right credit card. After he is out of sight, I reveal my coupon, which I had hidden underneath my Walking Dead. I quickly paid my $44, and got the hell out of there. I saw him watching me as I left... I won't be going back to that store tomorrow night. Maybe on the weekend, when the part-timers work.

2nd store went smoother. Ordered the Tron Collection STH in the media department, only because I couldn't find anything else I wanted at that store. Then I bought a book up front with my other coupon. 4 coupons down, MANY to go!
Old 03-31-11, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Went in tonight with another Member Coupon and Non-Member Coupon and used 'em both to pick up some more Doctor Who. Funny thing was, the cashier tonight didn't scan the coupon but manually entered them. When he did the Member Coupon he said it was only 15%, so I said cancel the transaction. I thought maybe I had printed out the wrong one, but when I checked it was definitely the 50% Off one, so I went back and said, lets try it again, just to be sure. He said it was random and would probably be 15% Off again, but agreed to try it. Sure enough, when he entered it it was 50% Off. I think he must have made a mistake the first time, but it's frustrating when you know what the coupon is worth and they're trying to say otherwise. It's hard to convince them that you think a mistake has been made when technically we shouldn't know what the value of the coupon is in the first place.

Oh, and thus far no customer service person has let me order a DVD from them; they've told me I need to go to the DVD department.

If Barnes & Noble was really concerned about these coupons, they could easily just have one barcode and have it randomly generate a value.

EDIT: @kenbenobi, I feel for you. I hate drawing attention to myself when I'm using the coupon, so having to explain it or go back is always a risk. I've already gone through two employees at my nearest store, so hopefully someone else is working tomorrow and the weekend. Luckily, there's some girls that work at mine who are late teens, early twenties who I don't think really care and they saw me use the same coupon a few times, so hopefully they're the ones who are there and not the guy that gave me some difficulty tonight.

Last edited by kstublen; 03-31-11 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-31-11, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jwstl
That will be part of tomorrow's order along with a CD set or 2. I was hesitant but I did get the Ten Commandments set in store instead of looking for a ship to home opportunity. The difference in price between online and the store was negligible after my member discount: 35.09 online, 36.45 in store.
That's a good point. I will likely do that as well. Every store has em, and I won't even attempt to do a STH if the item is in-stock at the store. Odds are I'll get shot down. I'd rather use the coupons on a sure thing... True Blood S3 will be my next STH order...
Old 03-31-11, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kstublen
Oh, and thus far no customer service person has let me order a DVD from them; they've told me I need to go to the DVD department.
That sucks. I guess I'm lucky there. The store where I do it the most has the media department upstairs. I figure they don't want to make me go all the way upstairs to place the order. My other store I don't usually try it, since the CS counter is like 10 feet from the media department.
Originally Posted by kstublen
If Barnes & Noble was really concerned about these coupons, they could easily just have one barcode and have it randomly generate a value.
SHHHHHHHHHH!!! Don't give them any ideas!!! I am personally SHOCKED they are doing this again, since we surely abused the hell out of them last time (especially when combined with the B2G1F). I was using 2 coupons at once, then getting a free item too! I honestly felt like I had just robbed the place, every time I used the coupon! I won't go as overboard this time, but I'll use it a good dozen times...
Old 03-31-11, 09:01 PM

tron coupon is out as of today. But its only $5 off, not $10 sadly. Maybe cashier will let you combine it with the 50% off
Old 03-31-11, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by h21z
tron coupon is out as of today. But its only $5 off, not $10 sadly. Maybe cashier will let you combine it with the 50% off
I'll know tomorrow
Old 03-31-11, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So I bought a book, and the 50% worked. But then I bought a couple TV sets, and used two 50% off coupons, and they scanned at 10% each. Very frustrating, and I felt like an idiot saying "nevermind, I don't want these," so I'm going to have to return them another time. Ugh.
Old 03-31-11, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Man, what an experience. 1st store I went to, I bought "The Walking Dead" on blu. It was labeled 20% off, so I figured it would be $18 + tax. The first cashier had no clue how to handle that coupon, since it didn't state the percentage. So he got another cashier to help him. Well, it rang up with only 10% off instead of 20%, but I didn't notice until after I paid and saw the receipt. They had to call a manager. He couldn't figure out how to re-ring it at the correct amount. So he called the other manager on duty. Next thing I know, practically every single friggin employee in the store knows that I have just used a 50% off coupon. After they fix it and I get my lousy $2.13 refund (wasnt worth my effort), I head downstairs to the customer service desk, where I wanted to do a Ship to Home on LOTR Extended. Of course, the original cashier was manning the desk. I figured I would go ahead and do it, but make no mention of the coupon, since I know I can't pay there. I thought I was free and clear, but as he handed me the receipt he says "you know you can't get any additional discounts on this price, right? You're already saving $36." I tell him yes, and head up front. He follows me. He watches the cashier ring me up, and says "I just want to make sure you're getting free shipping." Ya, right. After she gives me the total, and I pull out my wallet, he seems satisfied and slowly walks away. I begin fumbling through my wallet, pretending to have difficulty finding the right credit card. After he is out of sight, I reveal my coupon, which I had hidden underneath my Walking Dead. I quickly paid my $44, and got the hell out of there. I saw him watching me as I left... I won't be going back to that store tomorrow night. Maybe on the weekend, when the part-timers work.

2nd store went smoother. Ordered the Tron Collection STH in the media department, only because I couldn't find anything else I wanted at that store. Then I bought a book up front with my other coupon. 4 coupons down, MANY to go!
Mr. kenbenobi, can you tell me which is the first store and which one was the second store? Thank you very much. I will check those stores myself tomorrow.
Old 03-31-11, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by h21z
Originally Posted by jwstl
I'll know tomorrow
I thought Barnes & Noble didn't accept manufacturer coupons?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.