Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Best Buy HD-DVD Player Gift Card Exchange!!

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Best Buy HD-DVD Player Gift Card Exchange!!

Old 03-19-08, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
too bad the bargain priced xbox HD DVD add-on I bought 2/28/2008 for $49.99 is outside of the time period.
Same here. Although I also bought one during the Heroes + 2 other box sets deal, and sold that one on Ebay. So I qualify for one GC. Works for me! I hope they do a good job sending them to everyone automatically, cuz I surely don't have that receipt anymore. But I should be able to figure out which purchase it was from my RZ history...
Old 03-19-08, 01:47 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome! I bought one of the players through that Heroes + 2 Free offer back in October. Glad I used a RZ card for it.

It seems like BB's goal is just to please customers with this and that they have done.
Old 03-19-08, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by moviewizguy
...still, why would anyone give their HD DVD players back? You'll still have the HD DVDs!
Thats what makes this such a good deal. Best Buy is not asking for your player to be returned. If you bought an HD DVD player from BB they are sending you a $50 gift card.
Old 03-19-08, 02:46 PM

I also bought 1 way back when the A1 came out. March 2006. So I get one $50 card? That would be cool since way back then we paid $500 for an A1. But I'm not the least bit upset about price, hardware, HD-DVD losing, etc. I am still astonished at the stacks of HD-DVDs and Blu-Rays I have that I got at CHEAP prices at the start of a format. $10 HD media is fine by me. Keep it coming.
Old 03-19-08, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
While I applaud BB for doing this, I curse them for using a cutoff of 2/23. I bought my A-35 on 2/24!
Same for me. I was all excited until I went out to my car and noticed 2/24 as the date. Dag nab it.
Old 03-19-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I did the estimate thing for my A3....$36 for excellent condition.....Im NOT trading it in.

When I added 6 hd-dvds to it, it showed up as $48.xx. No thanks.
Old 03-19-08, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Same here. Although I also bought one during the Heroes + 2 other box sets deal, and sold that one on Ebay. So I qualify for one GC. Works for me! I hope they do a good job sending them to everyone automatically, cuz I surely don't have that receipt anymore. But I should be able to figure out which purchase it was from my RZ history...
Too bad RZ history only goes to 90 days , so in same boat as me. Would have to call in if there's trouble and have a CSR look it up.
Old 03-19-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 378 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by fcb123
Best Buy Is giving a $50 gift card for anyone who has purchased a Toshiba HD-DVD player from November 2006 - Feb 23rd 2008!!
OH! You mean that they're kicking out $50 for everyone who purchased a player FROM THEM....

Welcome to the forum!
Old 03-19-08, 07:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
just went to https://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/ and priced out my A3. Funny, the $50 gift card is worth more than the trade in.

Trade-In Estimate

Toshiba HD-A3 Receiver
CONDITION: EXCELLENT
REMOTE CONTROL: INCLUDED
POWER CORD(S): INCLUDED
INSTRUCTION MANUAL: INCLUDED
HD DVDS INCLUDED: None
Estimated Trade-in Value:
(includes a Prepaid shipping label)
$36.00
Old 03-19-08, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The trade in values don't seem worth it.

Oh well.
Old 03-19-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Pookymeister
Too bad RZ history only goes to 90 days , so in same boat as me. Would have to call in if there's trouble and have a CSR look it up.
i bought mine back in the heroes/xbox deal which was in october and i called in today and they found it in 5 minutes. it helps that i had the credit card statement so i had an exact date for them to look at.
Old 03-19-08, 10:45 PM
Cool New Member

That's sweet of BB, I just bought my A3 on Feb 17th. and did a price match on the 22nd. Total cost after $50 GC is $46.06.. That's Great....
Old 03-19-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by fcb123
Sorry This is my first post but I thought it was an Important one...

Best Buy Is giving a $50 gift card for anyone who has purchased a Toshiba HD-DVD player from November 2006 - Feb 22rd 2008!!

https://www-ssl.bestbuy.com/site/ols...&type=category
Fixed.... November 2006 - Feb 22rd 2008

I bought mine on Feb 23rd and I don't get the GC.
Old 03-20-08, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Considering that is about the time all the crazy clearance sales started, I think it is relatively fair.
Could anyone post the prices people were paying for the A3, A30, and A35 at Best Buy before the Feb. 23rd cutoff date?

If the cutoff date coincides with a price drop, that would make some sense, but anyone who bought it before Feb. 23 and within 30 days could've gotten a pricematch to the Feb. 23 price ($99.99 for A3 and $129.99 for A30) in addition to getting the $50 gift card.

I bought an A30 for $129.99 on Feb. 20 with a pricematch (they wouldn't let me use a 10% coupon in addition to the pricematch). On Feb. 24th I went there for something else and noticed the normal price was now $129.99. I asked if I could now get a price adjustment for the coupon I was previously denied since $129.99 was the new regular price and it would not be a pricematch. The customer service guy said only if I return the unit and rebuy it, so that's what I did on the 24th saving myself $13, but by so doing I got screwed out of the $50 gift card because I'm afraid my crystal ball wasn't working at the time. Today I described the situation to the manager of the moment and he told me tough luck basing the decision on the fact my first purchase was a pricematch which I thought was irrelevant. To be extra mean while he was away with my original receipt checking something he scribbled on it "do not give $50 gift card" to make sure I didn't try it at another store.

So I told him I'd be returning the player since it's within the 30 day time window and I haven't even opened the box. He said fine. I said thanks for writing on my receipt. He said whatever. Nice manager.

Had the original customer service guy been willing to adjust the price $13 to take into account the coupon instead of insisting I return/rebuy, I would've gotten the $50 gift card. This is the same store where one rep tells me they will pricematch Costco and the next rep says they never have and never will. I even got the names of the people who gave different stories, told it to a different supervisor that they should get their stories straight, and he just shrugged his shoulders.

My only point in posting this is to let people know that not everyone loves Best Buy and some locations (such as mine) have always been full of hardnosed employees with attitudes. Sure, Best Buy is better than Circuit City, but not by a lot. I expect the usual Manzana-bashers will post their comments about how I'm the unluckiest guy alive and such. That may be true. I really need to find an animated icon of someone playing a violin while crying.
Old 03-20-08, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts
Am I overlooking the 360 add-on in the trade-in link?
Old 03-21-08, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Manzana
Could anyone post the prices people were paying for the A3, A30, and A35 at Best Buy before the Feb. 23rd cutoff date?

If the cutoff date coincides with a price drop, that would make some sense, but anyone who bought it before Feb. 23 and within 30 days could've gotten a pricematch to the Feb. 23 price ($99.99 for A3 and $129.99 for A30) in addition to getting the $50 gift card.

I bought an A30 for $129.99 on Feb. 20 with a pricematch (they wouldn't let me use a 10% coupon in addition to the pricematch). On Feb. 24th I went there for something else and noticed the normal price was now $129.99. I asked if I could now get a price adjustment for the coupon I was previously denied since $129.99 was the new regular price and it would not be a pricematch. The customer service guy said only if I return the unit and rebuy it, so that's what I did on the 24th saving myself $13, but by so doing I got screwed out of the $50 gift card because I'm afraid my crystal ball wasn't working at the time. Today I described the situation to the manager of the moment and he told me tough luck basing the decision on the fact my first purchase was a pricematch which I thought was irrelevant. To be extra mean while he was away with my original receipt checking something he scribbled on it "do not give $50 gift card" to make sure I didn't try it at another store.

So I told him I'd be returning the player since it's within the 30 day time window and I haven't even opened the box. He said fine. I said thanks for writing on my receipt. He said whatever. Nice manager.

Had the original customer service guy been willing to adjust the price $13 to take into account the coupon instead of insisting I return/rebuy, I would've gotten the $50 gift card. This is the same store where one rep tells me they will pricematch Costco and the next rep says they never have and never will. I even got the names of the people who gave different stories, told it to a different supervisor that they should get their stories straight, and he just shrugged his shoulders.

My only point in posting this is to let people know that not everyone loves Best Buy and some locations (such as mine) have always been full of hardnosed employees with attitudes. Sure, Best Buy is better than Circuit City, but not by a lot. I expect the usual Manzana-bashers will post their comments about how I'm the unluckiest guy alive and such. That may be true. I really need to find an animated icon of someone playing a violin while crying.

I bought another A30 on January 25th this year at BB and paid 158.99 Also go 9 free movies. 5 from Toshiba, 2 in the box and got to pick any 2 off the shelf w/value up to 30.00 each
Old 03-21-08, 04:24 AM

For those of us north of the border, Bestbuy Canada has a similar promotion. It's good for any purchase after January 1, 2007 so I guess even if you went and bought a unit today you could get a gift card (if you could find a store with units still in stock).

No need to wait for a gift card in the mail, just take your receipt to a store and get $50.
Old 03-21-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If this has been posted, sorry, but I don't want to read the whole thread since I don't have either HD or BR (waiting on this SD TV to die before upgrading), but I saw a Digg article recently saying that Circuit City was doing an unadvertised trade-in on HD players for BR players. It may be over, but it's worth trying out.

Also, this may have been posted here before somewhere else. Again, sorry if this is old news.
Old 03-21-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts
Originally Posted by dspin
I bought another A30 on January 25th this year at BB and paid 158.99 Also go 9 free movies. 5 from Toshiba, 2 in the box and got to pick any 2 off the shelf w/value up to 30.00 each
I got mine in Nov 07. It was $199.99 and included the 5 mail in discs, the 2 in the box and any 3 on the the website. I preordered all three discs and they've all arrived. I think in retrospective, this was a good deal even if this is certainly not what I expected would happen with HD-DVD.

I just hope that everyone who dropped $200 on a 360 HD DVD drive also gets compensated. Thank God, when I bought one, I dropped $30 on the exchange warranty. I hated that thing...
Old 03-21-08, 11:34 AM

nice. i got a couple 360 drives back when they were giving away heroes and 7 other movies, so I should be getting $100 back. I hope.
Old 03-21-08, 01:25 PM

Has it been verified that 360 owners get the rebate too?
Old 03-21-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts
Originally Posted by reubs82
If this has been posted, sorry, but I don't want to read the whole thread since I don't have either HD or BR (waiting on this SD TV to die before upgrading), but I saw a Digg article recently saying that Circuit City was doing an unadvertised trade-in on HD players for BR players. It may be over, but it's worth trying out.

Also, this may have been posted here before somewhere else. Again, sorry if this is old news.

yea all 65 post.

anyway no one has mentioned anything about it here. just do a search in the forum to see if anyone has mentioned it.

or call CC and then you can confirm if they are doing it.
Old 03-21-08, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whotony
yea all 65 post.

anyway no one has mentioned anything about it here. just do a search in the forum to see if anyone has mentioned it.

or call CC and then you can confirm if they are doing it.
This website says it has been confirmed, but it's not as great as it sounds:
http://gizmodo.com/364473/circuit-ci...ources-readers
A: We do not want to upset our valued customers. For this special circumstance, we are happy to offer an exchange for a Blu-ray player (customer plays any difference in purchase price) - even if it has been several months since the customer made their HD DVD player purchase. If the customer does not want a Blu-ray player, we can issue a gift card refund for their original purchase price. For products purchased in the last 30 days, handle as usual.
Old 03-21-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't suppose Amazon is having a similar deal for people who got in on that great deal where you ended up getting the A2 for "only" $178 last fall? Please??
Old 03-21-08, 10:53 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BigShemp
Has it been verified that 360 owners get the rebate too?
Yes. Only ones not eligable are the Blu/HD combo decks, and any PCs that had an HD drive in them.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.