General Costco DVD Thread

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

General Costco DVD Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-08, 04:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody know if there's going to be a deal on The Simpsons Season 11? Usually it's something like buy Season 11 + any other season and get $5 off, right?
Old 10-07-08, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by orimental
Anybody know if there's going to be a deal on The Simpsons Season 11? Usually it's something like buy Season 11 + any other season and get $5 off, right?
Though I'm no longer a member, a family member is, so I can go when I need to. Normally Simpsons seasons are in the high $20s or low $30s when they first come out. I remember the buy 1 season and get $5 or $10 off another deals long ago (I think BBY had that too). What I've observed at Costco with The Simpsons seasons (as well as Looney Tunes Golden Collection) is that if you wait long enough they will have them for $19.99 each (or less) individually.

In fact, Costco has done this so many times that they have now GUARANTEED I won't touch either of these new sets anywhere until they are under $20. If you don't need them now, I'd suggest you just wait for that price.

Though I haven't researched it, I believe the latest Simpsons season only comes in one of the "head" packages right now, and as I went to great lengths to avoid all the head packages before, I'm not about to start buying them now.
Old 10-07-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by snausages
Thanks. Will you kindly post your experience on with repurchasing them when you go?

I went today and asked, and the returns staff member that I spoke to said I would not be able to. I even explained that I would not be able to go there on Thursday and was afraid to miss out w/them selling out, which was why I bought it now. He said that I would have to return and then go to the DVD section to hunt for a new set. I cannot believe they would just rather me return a $300+ purchase, especially after I also dropped another $500+ other items too. I would be a bit upset since I would still be spending money at the store. Seriously would they rather lose my purchase than rather let me save a measly $5 off each item? I did not buy multiple sets for resell. I just bought one copy of each of the DVDs available. I know my purchases are probably next to nil compared to other members, but still...money is money in this bad economic state. I will probably go to a different store to see what the service desk says there.
When you want THEM to hand over 5 bucks it's "measly" when it's YOUR 5 bucks it's "money is money in this bad economic state. Yet you spend $300+ in this "bad economic state" on cartoons rather than Netflixing it or getting them at the library. You can't have it both ways.
Old 10-07-08, 09:29 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Manzana
Though I'm no longer a member, a family member is, so I can go when I need to. Normally Simpsons seasons are in the high $20s or low $30s when they first come out. I remember the buy 1 season and get $5 or $10 off another deals long ago (I think BBY had that too). What I've observed at Costco with The Simpsons seasons (as well as Looney Tunes Golden Collection) is that if you wait long enough they will have them for $19.99 each (or less) individually.

In fact, Costco has done this so many times that they have now GUARANTEED I won't touch either of these new sets anywhere until they are under $20. If you don't need them now, I'd suggest you just wait for that price.

Though I haven't researched it, I believe the latest Simpsons season only comes in one of the "head" packages right now, and as I went to great lengths to avoid all the head packages before, I'm not about to start buying them now.

Season 11 also comes in regular dvd packaging although I'm not sure if it is available at Costco. I know that Target and amazon.com has them.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/54...n-s11-box.html
Old 10-07-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ctyankee
When you want THEM to hand over 5 bucks it's "measly" when it's YOUR 5 bucks it's "money is money in this bad economic state. Yet you spend $300+ in this "bad economic state" on cartoons rather than Netflixing it or getting them at the library. You can't have it both ways.
They still get $200+ from me after the $5 discount. If they were hurting that bad, then they shouldn't have a $5 off sale. You misread...I was referring to companies being in a bad economic state, not me. I do not Netflix as I am a collector. Plus there is a reason why we are on the DVD Bargains section...

Back on topic...
I did hear at the Membership counter that some other people hadn't gotten their coupon booklet in the mail either. I guess either a late mailing or postal system a bit slow? In the past, unless a coupon specifically states no rainchecks, you can get a raincheck and they will honor the coupon for later purchases when the item is back in stock. Some places will even call you when the item is located, just go to the center area where people do pickups or product searches (not membership/returns area). Also, when checking out at the cashier, you can ask if you can hold onto the coupon explaining you were not able to find a few of the products and wanted to use it for that when it was available. Depending on the store YMMV, sometimes the cashier will even have the booklet and if you tell her it is on sale in the coupon booklet, she will just scan the coupon for you ...even if you do not personally possess the coupon itself. Hope that helps!

Last edited by snausages; 10-07-08 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-07-08, 01:08 PM

Anyone have a scan of the Looney Tunes barcode?
Old 10-07-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by E-Z-B
Anyone have a scan of the Looney Tunes barcode?
Do you mean the coupon barcode or the actual Looney Tunes DVD barcode? If you want the DVD barcode, I can try to post it later as I do have the entire collection in possession.

The coupon barcode that I do not have...
Old 10-07-08, 02:01 PM

Sorry, yeah, I meant for the coupon. For some reason, I didn't get them in the mail.
Old 10-07-08, 03:20 PM

Costco in Central Florida had the new 2 disc Hitchcock movies (Rear Window, Vertigo, and Psycho) for $16.99. Also had Touch of Evil, To Kill a Mockingbird, Dracula, and Frankenstein Legacy Collection DVDs for the same price.
Old 10-07-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry, yeah, I meant for the coupon. For some reason, I didn't get them in the mail.

Old 10-08-08, 07:23 AM

Thanks, snausages!!!
Old 10-08-08, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, snausages!!!
You're welcome. My booklet arrived late too so you should keep an eye on your mail..it may arrive any day now.
Old 10-08-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 316 Likes on 216 Posts
Has anyone seen 30 Rock: Season 2 at Costco since yesterday? If so, what was the price?
Old 10-08-08, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank
has anyone seen 30 rock: Season 2 at costco since yesterday? If so, what was the price?
$26.xx
Old 10-08-08, 08:32 PM

These were also stocked in April at this price, but today I saw multiple copies of the following for $44.99:

Alfred Hitchcock Signature Collection
Greta Garbo Signature Collection
Astaire and Rogers: The Complete Film Collection
Old 10-08-08, 09:01 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I got my booklet today.
Old 10-08-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Bend, OR Costco had The Three Stooges Collection sets, volumes 1-4 for $16.99 each. Since these prices are pretty much the same as DD's (20% off sale price), I couldn't resist.
Old 10-09-08, 03:53 PM

Yeah, I sprang for the two newest Stooges sets too, as well as the 3 new Hitchcock double-disc sets, the new TOUCH OF EVIL, and DOUBLE INDEMNITY, which I'd been wanting to get for a while, all at $16.99@. Geez, I love Costco...
Old 10-09-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts
Note that on the WB Classic cartoons sets coupon, I found some others at my Costco that weren't on the coupon but the coupon does apply.

The ones listed on the coupon are:
Looney Tunes Vol. 1-5
Scooby-Doo Movies (that's the pic on the coupon but the coupon just states "Scooby-Doo))
The Jetsons: The complet first season
Top Cat: The Complete series
Johnny Quest: Complete First Season
Huckleberry Hound: Volume 1

My Costco also had:
Scooby-Doo Where Are You?: 3rd season
Magilla Gorilla: The Complete Season

The coupon applies even though these aren't shown on it.

Anyone else see any others not listed but that applies at their local Costco?
Old 10-09-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I picked up the Looney Tunes sets today. There were plenty of copies of each set. I still can't believe I spent just over $100 for 2004 minutes of cartoons! Woohoo!
Old 10-10-08, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone seen the Alice Faye collection vol. 2 yet? And if so, how much?
Old 10-11-08, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by snausages
Thanks. Will you kindly post your experience on with repurchasing them when you go?

I went today and asked, and the returns staff member that I spoke to said I would not be able to. I even explained that I would not be able to go there on Thursday and was afraid to miss out w/them selling out, which was why I bought it now. He said that I would have to return and then go to the DVD section to hunt for a new set. I cannot believe they would just rather me return a $300+ purchase, especially after I also dropped another $500+ other items too. I would be a bit upset since I would still be spending money at the store. Seriously would they rather lose my purchase than rather let me save a measly $5 off each item? I did not buy multiple sets for resell. I just bought one copy of each of the DVDs available. I know my purchases are probably next to nil compared to other members, but still...money is money in this bad economic state. I will probably go to a different store to see what the service desk says there.
As it turns out, there were plenty of copies when I went this morning, so I simply purchased two new sets using the coupon then returned them using my old receipts. It looked like they had definitely restocked since I was there last.
Old 10-11-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Harold Chasen
As it turns out, there were plenty of copies when I went this morning, so I simply purchased two new sets using the coupon then returned them using my old receipts. It looked like they had definitely restocked since I was there last.
Thanks for the heads up. I will go tomorrow and hope for the best! Glad you got yours.
Old 10-11-08, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Wish I could find my old receipt for the Scooby sets I bought... Funny, I've found so many Costco receipts but not the one I need, lol.
Old 10-11-08, 05:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Wish I could find my old receipt for the Scooby sets I bought... Funny, I've found so many Costco receipts but not the one I need, lol.
You can go to the customer service counter and they'll give you a copy of the receipt. Then ask the refund for the price difference.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.