Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - November '07

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - November '07

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-07, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Wow. It's amazing some of you guys still buy seperate volumes. I swore off that a while ago. Now it's complete sets only, and rarely that. I'm rarely hoping some complete series start coming out on HD (specifically Blu-Ray).

At any rate, how about some suggestions for some good deals at DeepDiscount? So far I have the Magic Knight Rayearth set (that's 13 discs!) for ~$31 after discount in my wish list.
why the HELL would they release anime series in HD?! that's so frikin stupid...not to mention it would completely make all the other box sets obsolete and NO ONE IS GOING TO BUY JAPANESE ANIMATED CARTOONS IN HIGH DEFINITION!!!!!! no point whatsoever...
Old 11-06-07, 07:40 PM

???

Originally Posted by DVDmaniac14
why the HELL would they release anime series in HD?! that's so frikin stupid...not to mention it would completely make all the other box sets obsolete and NO ONE IS GOING TO BUY JAPANESE ANIMATED CARTOONS IN HIGH DEFINITION!!!!!! no point whatsoever...
I'm really unclear as to what you mean.
Old 11-06-07, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would buy Japanese animated cartoons in HD, and I totally intend to buy Paprika on Blu-Ray. That wouldn't make other box sets obsolete. I'm not really following, either.
Old 11-06-07, 07:47 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 541 Likes on 475 Posts
If you care to see what all the other figures are going to look like (at least...to volume 11 in japan)...then go to this site:

http://www.ntv.co.jp/deathnote/goods/001.html

and you can browse through all the diff vols at the top :-D
Well, Viz Media will be releasing Death Note in 9 volumes. So far Vol.1 is Ryuk, Vol.2 is Light, and Vol.3 is L. I wonder which two they will leave out?
Old 11-06-07, 07:57 PM
WTK

Why won't anyone buy anime in HD?

Last edited by WTK; 11-06-07 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-06-07, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TelocZ
I'm really unclear as to what you mean.

explain to me why cartoons should be in high definition? i mean CGI..yes i can understand..but drawings? in high def? explain to me how you think that would be desired?
Old 11-06-07, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anime are not cartoons to begin with.

Most of the new animes is drawn with computers these days. CGI or not.

Plus, some of the new animes in Japan are being presented HD in Japan on TV.

Yes! This Means Complete Shows!!!

Chances of coming here are slim to none.

Last edited by Knives; 11-06-07 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-06-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ i may clarify by "cartoons" i mean "hand drawn and animated"...so japanese animated films/series' and american and everythin else...
Old 11-06-07, 08:42 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Call them cartoons, anime, what-have-you, plenty of the newer titles are already broadcast in Japan in HD on sources like WowWow series like GitS, Eureka 7, Ergo Proxy, the list is getting longer by the day.

As for the older titles that are on film, they can all be converted to HD, and some already are. There are a few movies already out such as all 3 Patlabor films, soon to come Jin-Roh, etc. Check THIS link for a more complete list.

Last edited by Eric F; 11-06-07 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-06-07, 09:03 PM
Defunct Account

explain to me why cartoons should be in high definition? i mean CGI..yes i can understand..but drawings? in high def? explain to me how you think that would be desired?
Because they would look better than in SD. If you don't think that drawings which were recorded on film or in HD can look any better than they do on SD DVD then you are mistaken.
Old 11-06-07, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Lol! Who would desire a print of the Mona Lisa when a JPG is good enough!

I have seen Paprika, Patlabor I & II, Afro Samurai, Howl's Moving Castle, Ergo Proxy, The Triplets of Bellville, Planetes, Ghost in the Shell SAC, Appleseed and plenty more that I can't remember, all in HD and they all looked significantly better than their DVD counterparts.
Old 11-06-07, 09:16 PM
WTK

John, I see you changed your forum name...and congrats on becoming the Review Editor!
Old 11-06-07, 09:21 PM
Defunct Account

Thanks WTK!
Old 11-06-07, 11:10 PM

In regards to the Anime in HD discussion, I am enjoying my anime collection all over again thanks to upscaling to 720p. Everything looks so amazing on my Sony Bravia that I can't wait for true HD animation releases in the future.

Why would you want anime in HD when you can get it in standard old 480i/480p? Why would you want a cd instead of a cassette...a cassette instead of a record? Because it more closely resembles the actual source than the previous technology allowed.
Old 11-07-07, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Because the cartoons will look significantly better.

It's easy to think Anime wouldn't benefit from being shown in HD, but to the contrary, it really does. However, there will be variances on just how much better the Anime will look, depending on source material.
Old 11-07-07, 07:50 AM
WTK

TRSI - Shawne's Deals of the Day for Wednesday, November 7 2007
Old 11-07-07, 09:00 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by WTK
Okay, here what you can do. Place all the items that you want to order on the shopping cart. Check out as you would normally. On Step 3 (Shipping & Tax) of checkout, fill out the field under "Special Instructions or Gift Certificate Number." Be sure to state what happened when you tried to order on their website and tell them what price to override to ($23.98 or $21.58 for Got Anime members). They should be able to help you out on this.

Thanks WTK, I did as you suggested and they did indeed help me out and adjust the price. That's one of the reasons I love TRSI, their customer service is one of the best I've ever dealt with!

Another question, does anyone know where to find the best deal on the Ergo Proxy volumes and art box?
Old 11-07-07, 09:20 AM
WTK

Oh boy, you're really late on getting this series. You are gonna have to pay an arm and a leg for the entire series plus the artbox. Use DVDPriceSearch.com and/or DVDTalk.PriceGrabber.com to search the prices. As you will find out that you will be paying close or over to the retail prices. Whatever you decide to do, be sure to act quick. Some of the Geneon titles have already gone OOP with many to follow suit sometime in the near future. AnimeCornerStore.com though is offering an Ergo Proxy Bundle for a hefty total of $167.98.
Old 11-07-07, 09:23 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, it sucks that the Geneon titles are being held on to at such a high price. I wanted to finish Ergo Proxy (since I have 2 volumes already) but there's no way I'm going to drop $26 or so for an individual volume. That's just crazy!
Old 11-07-07, 09:38 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by Dragon Fly
Yeah, it sucks that the Geneon titles are being held on to at such a high price. I wanted to finish Ergo Proxy (since I have 2 volumes already) but there's no way I'm going to drop $26 or so for an individual volume. That's just crazy!
It will suck big time for those who haven't collected that many Geneon titles along the way. This is especially true for the more recent titles of which no complete collection has been released. Ultimately it all comes down to how much you are willing to pay to own a Geneon series.
Old 11-07-07, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by tito425
Thanks WTK, I did as you suggested and they did indeed help me out and adjust the price. That's one of the reasons I love TRSI, their customer service is one of the best I've ever dealt with!

Another question, does anyone know where to find the best deal on the Ergo Proxy volumes and art box?
Best place I have found is DVDPacific has volumes 1,4 and 5 for 18.61 and volume 1 + the artbox for 24.82.

Best of luck collecting the series, I myself have volumes 3 and 6 on order to finish up that series.
Old 11-07-07, 10:00 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks everyone, I'll have to see if I can find a few volumes used and if not bite the bullet and go to DVDPacific (thx SDZeroG), TRSI or Amazon.

This whole Geneon thing is killing me. I was holding off on Ergo Proxy for a complete collection but now... What's going to happen with series like Karin and Rozen Maiden? Will they just never release the last volumes of these series'? Now I'm glad I went a little nuts on the last 25 for $100 Geneon sale at RightStuf. I have a huge backlog, but at least I HAVE them.
Old 11-07-07, 10:12 AM
Rui

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
If we didn't buy the separate volumes, there wouldn't be the complete sets for you to buy. That's where the Anime companies make their money in releasing the dvds.
That and many shows never even get box sets, or not for many years. I stick to boxes mostly due to space (that and importing millions of singles is a hassle) but for quirky shows, I want to support them and see them and don't want to wait 5 years for a box that may never come. For example, Bloodhound (not anime but a Bandai manga-based release), Ayakashi (won't get a box now anyway but I bought the singles originally to support the genre), Urusei Yatsura (boxes not available for delivery to my country), Haruhi (didn't want to wait as dodging spoilers has been hard enough already) - just a small selection of my purchases from 2007 which I didn't want to wait on!

I like a lot of older shows and things aimed at niche crowds, so while for mainstream blind buys waiting for a box is simple, for anything I know I want to support I just bite the bullet and buy singles. I'm a collector, after all!

Rui
Old 11-07-07, 10:34 AM

I really ho[pe RS decides to do a Geneon 25 for 100. It's a shame most of the Geneon titles I wanted have disappeared from DDD and DVDPlanet before their sales have even started. >.< Does anyone know a good price for the Cardcaptor Sakura movies or Strawberry Marshmallow box?
Old 11-07-07, 10:37 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by tito425
Thanks everyone, I'll have to see if I can find a few volumes used and if not bite the bullet and go to DVDPacific (thx SDZeroG), TRSI or Amazon.

This whole Geneon thing is killing me. I was holding off on Ergo Proxy for a complete collection but now... What's going to happen with series like Karin and Rozen Maiden? Will they just never release the last volumes of these series'? Now I'm glad I went a little nuts on the last 25 for $100 Geneon sale at RightStuf. I have a huge backlog, but at least I HAVE them.
Like many of the Geneon series that are on hiatus, Karin and Rozen Maiden: Träumend will be on hold indefinitely. No one really knows what will happen to them. Hopefully, studios will rescue these series in the near future.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.