Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - November '07

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - November '07

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-07, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WTK
Kamichu! and Strawberry Marshmallow are family friendly as well!
Good luck in locating those Geneon titles. One more highly enjoyable family series that I wholeheartedly recommend-Petite Princess Yucie Thinpak.
Old 11-21-07, 12:23 AM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 542 Likes on 476 Posts
Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Good luck in locating those Geneon titles. One more highly enjoyable family series that I wholeheartedly recommend-Petite Princess Yucie Thinpak.
Good point. Another one that is somewhat family friendly would be Fruits Basket. That new thinpak re-release has just came out as well. $34.43 is a pretty good price for this series @ DD (after coupon).
Old 11-21-07, 02:27 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like there's another ADV sale coming. They haven't announced it yet, but when I visited the Daily Specials page, all their usual stuff is now on sale there.
Old 11-21-07, 03:05 AM

A heads up.

I went to a local Big Lots today looking for Steamboy, Memento, etc., when I came across a bin containing tons of anime. It's definitely a new shipment, though it could just be leftovers from other stores, so YMMV.

Here's a list of the titles I remember seeing:

All are $3 each:

Argentosoma vol. 1
Cowboy Bebop session 3
Escaflowne vol. ?
Fantastic Children vol. 6
Gundam (original) vol. 2
Gundam 08th MS team vol. 1
Gundam Char's Counter Attack
Gundam Seed vol. 7, 8
Gundam Seed movie 3: Rumbling Sky
Hoop Days vol. 1
IGPX vol. ?
Mars Daybreak vol. 2, 3, 6
Outlaw Star vol. 3 (2-disc)
Overman King Gainer vol. 6
Panda-z vol. ?
Planetes vol. 1 (2-disc), 6
Saber Marionette J collection 2 (2-disc)
SD Gundam Force vol. ?
Taruto, Magical Meow Meow vol. ?
Wolf's Rain vol. 4
Yukikaze vol. 3 (2-disc)

I know there's some I'm forgetting but you get the idea, check out your local Big Lots.

Last edited by toldawg128; 11-24-07 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Added some more to the list
Old 11-21-07, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Erdrick
First off, I would highly recommend against getting your 14-year old niece anything with a TV-MA rating. Of those items mentioned, that would mean I highly recommend against "Hell Girl" and "Elfen Lied". I would also recommend against getting her any of the Geneon titles mentioned, with the exception of "X" TV, as the rest of them are recommended for ages 16 and up.

Although I have not seen either in their entirety, I would agree with the recommendations of "Scrapped Princess" and "Princess Tutu". Other good series that you can get in a box set, that a 14-year old girl might like, are "Azumanga Daioh", "Haibane-Renmei", "His and Her Circumstances" (which can be picked up from Deep Discount for under $30 during their current sale), and "Last Exile".

Basically unless you know she likes it and her parents approve, I would avoid getting her anything recommended for ages older than she is. This comes from a father of two daughters myself.
Wow, my sincere thanks to everyone for the great suggestions! I'll definitely have to check these other titles out. But I'm not worried about a TV-MA rating. Even though she's 14, my niece has been allowed by her mother (a.k.a. my bitch ex-SIL) to watch whatever she wants to (including movies like "Hostel"), so I don't think that's an issue.

Thanks again everyone, and I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving!

~velveeta
Old 11-21-07, 03:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hooray! I made it into the first post of this thread. I'm now a contributor! Anyway, I did happen to notice that I made a spelling/grammatical error when I used to instead of two. I now my post is a bit convoluted, but hopefully I made my the deal as clear as possible. If you guys have any questions, then don't hesitate to ask.
Old 11-21-07, 07:13 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by Akuma147
Looks like there's another ADV sale coming. They haven't announced it yet, but when I visited the Daily Specials page, all their usual stuff is now on sale there.
I'm assuming that you're referring to ADVFilms.com and not TRSI.
Old 11-21-07, 07:14 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by toldawg128
A heads up.

I went to a local Big Lots today looking for Steamboy, Memento, etc., when I came across a bin containing tons of anime. It's definitely a new shipment, though it could just be leftovers from other stores, so YMMV.

Here's a list of the titles I remember seeing:

All are $3 each:

Argentosoma vol. 1
Cowboy Bebop session 3
Escaflowne vol. ?
Gundam (original) vol. 2
Gundam 08th MS team vol. 1
Gundam Char's Counter Attack
Gundam Seed vol. 7, 8
Gundam Seed movie 3: Rumbling Sky
Hoop Days vol. 1
Mars Daybreak vol. 2
Outlaw Star vol. 3 (2-disc)
Overman King Gainer vol. 6
Panda-z vol. ?
Planetes vol. 1 (2-disc), 6
Wolf's Rain vol. 4
Yukikaze vol. 3 (2-disc)

I know there's some I'm forgetting but you get the idea, check out your local Big Lots.
Thanks. I would have to check my local store out.
Old 11-21-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WTK
I don't pretty sure that GameStop won't be running this promotion, but I could be wrong. I have never seen any of my local GameStop stores running any promotion such as this. You can find more information about GameStop Corporation from Wikipedia. And according to Wikipedia, as of November 2007, there are 36 MovieStop stores nationwide, including those in Alabama, Virginia, Georgia, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Florida.
Gamestop stores only sell used DVDs that was traded in for game discount.
Old 11-21-07, 09:27 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by McHawkson
Gamestop stores only sell used DVDs that was traded in for game discount.
That is what I thought. Even with the used DVDs, there is not much to chose from anyways.
Old 11-21-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by velveeta
But I'm not worried about a TV-MA rating. Even though she's 14, my niece has been allowed by her mother (a.k.a. my bitch ex-SIL) to watch whatever she wants to (including movies like "Hostel"), so I don't think that's an issue.
Well, if that's the case, then I would highly recommend the following-

Elfen Lied
Gantz
Speed Grapher
Texhnolyze
Boogiepop Phantom
Ergo Proxy.

All are available in complete collection form with the exception of Ergo Proxy and Speed Grapher(I would suspect a set forthcoming from Funimation on this one).
Old 11-21-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Elfen Lied is pretty good series - too much blood for my taste (through I do own the box set )
Old 11-21-07, 10:21 AM
WTK

Elfen Lied
Gantz
Speed Grapher
Texhnolyze
Boogiepop Phantom
Ergo Proxy.

All are available in complete collection form with the exception of Ergo Proxy and Speed Grapher(I would suspect a set forthcoming from Funimation on this one).
I really liked Elfen Lied and Texhnolyze. Ergo Proxy is pretty good and Boogiepop Phantom is not too bad. One of these days I will watch Gantz and Speed Grapher from my backlog.
Old 11-21-07, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WTK
I really liked Elfen Lied and Texhnolyze. Ergo Proxy is pretty good and Boogiepop Phantom is not too bad. One of these days I will watch Gantz and Speed Grapher from my backlog.
You should watch Gantz. Some people feel that it's disturbing, but I thought that it was a laugh riot. Maybe I'm warped.
Old 11-21-07, 10:40 AM
WTK

You should watch Gantz. Some people feel that it's disturbing, but I thought that it was a laugh riot. Maybe I'm warped.
I will keep that in mind. I'm sure I will enjoy it, but probably not to your extent.
Old 11-21-07, 10:49 AM
WTK

Be Quick Like a Ninja: Get 30% off the Retail Prices on Almost Everything at RightStuf.com

Before the holiday shopping season reaches a fever pitch, we decided to sneak in 12 whole days of extra savings - 30% off the retail prices on almost everything* you'll find at RightStuf.com - from DVDs, books, manga, and CDs to apparel, accessories, toys, collectibles and more! (This includes pre-orders!)

But you’d better be quick like a ninja and grab what you want to give -- and what you want to get – before this sale disappears on December 2!

From now until December 2 save 30% OFF the retail prices of almost everything* on RightStuf.com! (This includes pre-orders!)

How? There are no coupon codes for this one, just add the item into your cart and check-out to save.

Expires: December 2, 2007 at 11:59 p.m. CST

REMEMBER: If you’re a Got Anime member, you can stack your discounts for even more savings! (This means you have the potential to save up to 37% OFF almost everything on RightStuf.com! Check out www.gotanime.com for details.)

*Please note: Bargain Bin, Weekly Special and Closeout items are not eligible for this sale because they’re already awesome deals, and this will be noted on the individual product pages for these items! Import Figures, imported specialty items, and certain publisher items are excluded. Quantities on some items may be limited.
Old 11-21-07, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by velveeta
But I'm not worried about a TV-MA rating. Even though she's 14, my niece has been allowed by her mother (a.k.a. my bitch ex-SIL) to watch whatever she wants to (including movies like "Hostel"), so I don't think that's an issue.

Elfen Lied
Gantz
Speed Grapher
Texhnolyze
Boogiepop Phantom
Ergo Proxy.

Woah, just because this kid's mother is an irresponsible parents doesn't mean we should completely disregard her age. If anything we should take greater care to make age (and gender) appropriate recommendations because her mother does not care. No matter how much you liked Elfen Lied and Gantz, either one would be a seriously inappropriate recommendation. And I mention gender becuase, I doubt most young teenage girls want to watch some half-naked girl randomly switch back and forth between frenzied killing machine and stupid house pet (although this may be the dream of many guys). And yes I know there is more plot to Elfen Lied than just that, but it makes my point.
Old 11-21-07, 01:49 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by WTK
I'm assuming that you're referring to ADVFilms.com and not TRSI.
Yeah, I meant the sale was at ADV's Website. Here's the link: http://www.advfilms.com/buy/anime-sale.aspx
Old 11-21-07, 01:51 PM

I think if I can get the money before the end of the sale or before stock runs out I'm going to use the sale to get both Fighting Spirit sets.
Hmmm, Fighting Spirit Collection two is still priced at the weekly special price from last week. I'll wait and see if they change it cause I think its cheaper with the current sale and the got anime discount plus the coupon for $7 off of orders of $89.00 or more.
Old 11-21-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And I mention gender becuase, I doubt most young teenage girls want to watch some half-naked girl randomly switch back and forth between frenzied killing machine and stupid house pet (although this may be the dream of many guys). And yes I know there is more plot to Elfen Lied than just that, but it makes my point.
Pretty accurate description of Elfen Lied. Elfen Lied is my first anime that shocked me on underage nudes and started to notice several animes that included those underage nudes. That got me wondering if it's against the law or something.

I agreed with you about giving the approperiate recommendition that 14 years old girl should be watching. That's why I suggested Scrapped Princess instead of violent animes.
Old 11-21-07, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks to Berzerker...went to my movie stop and picked up DBZ Season 1 for just $15 and change :-D gonna head back up there during the last day of the sale to see if anything else comes in!
Old 11-21-07, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Woah, just because this kid's mother is an irresponsible parents doesn't mean we should completely disregard her age. If anything we should take greater care to make age (and gender) appropriate recommendations because her mother does not care. No matter how much you liked Elfen Lied and Gantz, either one would be a seriously inappropriate recommendation. And I mention gender becuase, I doubt most young teenage girls want to watch some half-naked girl randomly switch back and forth between frenzied killing machine and stupid house pet (although this may be the dream of many guys). And yes I know there is more plot to Elfen Lied than just that, but it makes my point.
Hey, I agree with you. That's why I initially recommended Angelic Layer and Petite Princess Yucie. But if velveeta is looking to get her a darker series(velveeta mentioned Hell Girl and Death Note), then I stand by my list as being some of the more challenging violent series currently available. I wouldn't recommend any of these series to a 14 year old girl, but it's not up to me to play parent. And if she did watch Hostel and enjoyed it, then I don't think that any of these cartoons will scar her for life. BTW, welcome to the forum!
Old 11-21-07, 04:12 PM
Cool New Member

Just got an email from RightStuf.com. They're having a sale for 30% off retail prices on almost everything, 37% off for GotAnime members.
Old 11-21-07, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Akuma147
Just got an email from RightStuf.com. They're having a sale for 30% off retail prices on almost everything, 37% off for GotAnime members.
Thanks for the info, but WTK's got you scooped by over 5 hours.
Old 11-21-07, 04:20 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the info, but WTK's got you scooped by over 5 hours.
Oops, sorry. I didn't see his post, I just checked the first post to see if it was on there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.