Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - September '07

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - September '07

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-07, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At least they are honest. Really, if there is any chance at all that a buyer is going to take their comparison seriously (rather than hop over to dvdpricesearch or one of the other price engines) then they gotta do that. They probably figure that if you've made the effort to go compare prices you are halfway out the door anyway, but if you don't go to another site to compare prices you might decide the difference (if any) is worth the convenience of buying multiple items all at their site instead.
Old 09-07-07, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ya know...i think it'd be great, WTK, if we could post the best places online to get used anime DVDs...might help people out a lot more...even if they don't have a 25% off sale going on or something like that. Couple places i know are:

www.gohastings.com - and they have a free shipping coupon with USED purchases over $25...i just gotta find it
www.secondspin.com
http://www.dvdplanet.com/animeused.cfm - down at the moment
http://www.estarland.com/AnimeDVD.cat.PO.html - B1G1 deal at the moment - Coupon code: FREEDVD

any others that are good that people can post on here? hope this helps out the thread a lot...
Old 09-07-07, 10:40 AM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 536 Likes on 472 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDmaniac14
ya know...i think it'd be great, WTK, if we could post the best places online to get used anime DVDs...might help people out a lot more...even if they don't have a 25% off sale going on or something like that. Couple places i know are:

www.gohastings.com - and they have a free shipping coupon with USED purchases over $25...i just gotta find it
www.secondspin.com
http://www.dvdplanet.com/animeused.cfm - down at the moment
http://www.estarland.com/AnimeDVD.cat.PO.html - B1G1 deal at the moment - Coupon code: FREEDVD

any others that are good that people can post on here? hope this helps out the thread a lot...
There are tons of places online or B&M to buy used anime DVDs. Here are a couple more that comes to mind.

B&M
  • CD Warehouse
  • GameStop, EB Games and Electronics Boutique
  • Half Price Books
  • Trans World Entertainment Stores (FYE, Sam Goody, Suncoast,...)

• Amazon.com (be aware of bootlegs)
  • AnimeNation.com
  • DVDEmpire.com (not much to chose from)
  • eBay/Half.com (be aware of bootlegs)
  • Spun.com
  • Trans World Entertainment sites (FYE, Sam Goody, Suncoast,...) (not much to chose from)
  • Wherehouse.com
Old 09-07-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks WTK...tho isn't Spun.com and Wherehouse.com AND SecondSpin.com the same?

and i now have two dilemmas...is $79 a good price for Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta collection? and the same goes for yu yu hakusho...$24.99. just looking for a push in the right direction
Old 09-07-07, 11:10 AM
WTK

and i now have two dilemmas...is $79 a good price for Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta collection? and the same goes for yu yu hakusho...$24.99. just looking for a push in the right direction
I'm pretty sure that SecondSpin.com, Spun.com, and Wherehouse.com are essentially the same.

I have yet to watch anything related to Gundam or Yu Yu Hakusho, so I can't help you on that one! FYI, Gundam, Mobile Suit Zeta DVD Box Set (Hyb) Limited for $79.99 is almost sold out!
Old 09-07-07, 03:44 PM
Cool New Member

both are very good prices seeing as zeta is out of print and yu yu is going to be.
Old 09-07-07, 06:07 PM

$79 seems a common price for the Z boxset. The only really problem is they used dubtitles instead of accurate subs (I never watch dubs, so am more picky on subs). If that isn't a dealbreak then it might be worth it. It is an excellent series. The best Gundam series, with the exception of the original. I would highly suggest you watch the original Gundam, be it the TV (Dub only, which is the main reason they didn't sell well) or the movie versions (Available in a collection), before watching Zeta.
Old 09-07-07, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's a great deal considering I bought mine right when it came out for something like $109 and thought I was getting a steal. Little did I know... It seems like if it's not $5, it's not worth buying anymore. Everything just gets so dirt cheap!
Old 09-07-07, 08:30 PM

As far as Zeta Gundam goes, the two disc editions have been at Big Lots for $4 apiece recently. Picked up three of them that way, and they're otherwise easily available for under $20 each.
Old 09-07-07, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by justbarelymovin
It's a great deal considering I bought mine right when it came out for something like $109 and thought I was getting a steal. Little did I know... It seems like if it's not $5, it's not worth buying anymore. Everything just gets so dirt cheap!

It seems like that. I used to dump hundreds just to complete a series or two. Now it seems I can't bring myself to spend a fraction of that. Just spoiled by sales I guess
Old 09-08-07, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Bear1116
$79 seems a common price for the Z boxset. The only really problem is they used dubtitles instead of accurate subs (I never watch dubs, so am more picky on subs). If that isn't a dealbreak then it might be worth it. It is an excellent series. The best Gundam series, with the exception of the original. I would highly suggest you watch the original Gundam, be it the TV (Dub only, which is the main reason they didn't sell well) or the movie versions (Available in a collection), before watching Zeta.
Bandai seemed to go out of their way to derail Zeta. When they initially announced the show, they prematurely advertised it as coming to both Adult Swim and Toonami simultaneously. Cartoon Network didn't take kindly to Bandai jumping the gun and ultimately rejected the show. This combined with a union strike at Ocean's Westwood dub studio contributed to over a two year delay of the show.

When we did eventually get it, fans were treated to a less than stellar dub not featuring the VA's from Mobile Suit Gundam (the dub was transfered to Ocean's non-union studio, Blue Water), the opening and ending themes were removed, and of course dubtitles (as previously mentioned, the dubtitles were corrected in the double discs).

About the only portion of the whole thing that was handled correctly were the packaging and extras. The limited edition comes with a beautiful holographic box featuring artwork commissioned specifically for this release, the art on the cases themselves are quite nice (the background for the LE's are better than the generic starfields used for the double-discs, but the spines look like they were done in MS Paint or something), a poster featuring the box's art, a set of (iirc) nine pencil sharpener figurines, and a sizable booklet with a wealth of information written by North America's foremost Gundam expert, Mark Simmons.

Neither release is even close to perfect. If you're looking for something pretty to display with some cool extras, get the box set. If you're a hardcore subbie, you'll probably want the double disc volumes.

As for YYH, while Three Kings does have its moments, it's definitely the least interesting of all the arcs. I'd look at it this way. You finally get to see the conclusion to a rather lengthy series by buying it, and for $30, it's a steal.
Old 09-08-07, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just curious but has anyone gotten e-mails from FamilyVideo.com after using their coupon codes multiple times with different e-mail accounts saying that they're canceling your order for abusing the coupon? that hasn't happened to me or anything...but i was jus curious...
Old 09-08-07, 05:53 PM

I can't recommend the YYH Three King's boxset from a review standpoint (because I haven't seen it), but from a pricing standpoint, I don't think you're going to get any better. This boxset should be close to OOP by now, and it's been $60 almost anywhere. You aren't going to find a cheaper price for it. I can't say that I liked the way the Chapter Black saga ended (and where this last arc seems to be going), but it's been a great series from the first 70-odd episodes.

I bought it the first day TRSI had it on sale and it still hasn't shipped...so keep that in mind (even though it has quantity in stock...it's still on order from the manufacturer).
Old 09-08-07, 06:21 PM

Just wondering... how often does TRSI do a Bandai 40% sale? There's a lot I want there but not nearly enough money for it all...
Old 09-08-07, 06:46 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Ndolger
I can't recommend the YYH Three King's boxset from a review standpoint (because I haven't seen it), but from a pricing standpoint, I don't think you're going to get any better. This boxset should be close to OOP by now, and it's been $60 almost anywhere. You aren't going to find a cheaper price for it. I can't say that I liked the way the Chapter Black saga ended (and where this last arc seems to be going), but it's been a great series from the first 70-odd episodes.

I bought it the first day TRSI had it on sale and it still hasn't shipped...so keep that in mind (even though it has quantity in stock...it's still on order from the manufacturer).
I didn't care too much for Chapter Black either but the last saga was pretty good. Definitely moves real fast though.
Old 09-08-07, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by qtwerp
Just wondering... how often does TRSI do a Bandai 40% sale? There's a lot I want there but not nearly enough money for it all...
The last Bandai studio sale was at the end of March. It will probably be about 5 months until the next one. DD will have slightly better prices during their 20% off sale in late November. Maybe we'll get lucky and RS will run a Bandai 25 for $100 liquidation sale in the near future.
Old 09-08-07, 11:09 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
The last Bandai studio sale was at the end of March. It will probably be about 5 months until the next one. DD will have slightly better prices during their 20% off sale in late November. Maybe we'll get lucky and RS will run a Bandai 25 for $100 liquidation sale in the near future.
I want this, and at the same time, i dont, because ghost in the shell volumes for 4-5 dollars each sounds great, but my desired haruhi limited edition certaintly wont be part of the 10/50 or 25/100 sale.
Old 09-08-07, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ihavenolife123
I want this, and at the same time, i dont, because ghost in the shell volumes for 4-5 dollars each sounds great, but my desired haruhi limited edition certaintly wont be part of the 10/50 or 25/100 sale.
GITS wouldn't be part of a Bandai liquidation. It would be part of a Manga liquidation. I would also agree with you that there's no way in hell that Haruhi would be part of a liquidation for quite some time.
Old 09-09-07, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Regarding the Rightstuf.com anime sale. I bought two dvd sets:
1. Great Horror Family DVD Complete Collection
2. Planetes DVD Complete Collection
When I usd the 40% off coupon the price was reduced, true, but only by about 33%. The price, respectively, should have beeen:

GHF: 35.98 - 40% = 21.588
Plan: 44.98 - 40% = 26.988
Total discount: $32.384

But the price on my receipt when I submitted the order was:

GHF: 23.99
Plan: 29.99
Total discount: $26.98

Did anyone else notice this happen to their orders? I wrote them immediately after I discovered this so they could correct the problem, but that was yesterday, Saturday the 8th. (I got the free shipping and I'm not in a state they could charge tax in.)
Old 09-09-07, 07:59 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by izatright
Regarding the Rightstuf.com anime sale. I bought two dvd sets:
1. Great Horror Family DVD Complete Collection
2. Planetes DVD Complete Collection
When I usd the 40% off coupon the price was reduced, true, but only by about 33%. The price, respectively, should have beeen:

GHF: 35.98 - 40% = 21.588
Plan: 44.98 - 40% = 26.988
Total discount: $32.384

But the price on my receipt when I submitted the order was:

GHF: 23.99
Plan: 29.99
Total discount: $26.98

Did anyone else notice this happen to their orders? I wrote them immediately after I discovered this so they could correct the problem, but that was yesterday, Saturday the 8th. (I got the free shipping and I'm not in a state they could charge tax in.)
Your math is off! The 40% off discount is off the retail price. So the total amount that you were charged was correct. But if you were a GotAnime member you could have saved an additional 10% discount.

1. Great Horror Family DVD Complete Collection: $39.98 - 40% discount = $23.99 ($21.59 for GotAnime members)
2. Planetes DVD Complete Collection: $49.98 - 40% discount = $29.99 ($26.99 for GotAnime members)
Old 09-09-07, 11:27 AM

Yeah, unfortunatley TRSI's sales are off MSRP...which sucks and isn't obvious. It's normally great for preorders, but for pretty much everything else, you can normally find it cheaper.
Old 09-09-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well just to update you on the Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam from TRSI, WTK, it is now SOLD OUT AND NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE...sorry i took the last one O_o

Question...should i wait for the DD sale to happen in November before i buy Twelve Kingdoms Collections 1 & 2? Or will the price of it most likely go up by then?

Last edited by DVDmaniac14; 09-09-07 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-09-07, 05:11 PM

I was just wondering, anyone get any notice about their Trinity Blood Vol 1 w/ boxes? I'm finding it hard to understand why they would come out with a random number such as 33 if they didn't already have access to that amount of stock.
Old 09-09-07, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've gotten everything except the Trinity Blood vol 1 w/ box...
Old 09-09-07, 11:19 PM

My order went through on early Sat morning, so I won't get one. But it was worth a shot. ^^

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.