DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Heroes in-store excusives? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/508661-heroes-store-excusives.html)

PrometheusUFO 08-30-07 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by bookcase3
What does the spine look like on the Target Deluxe Edition, compared to the regular edition. Just curious whether it will match up with future seasons.

"Heroes" is spelled vertically down the spine, with "Season 1" below it. And above all that are the words "Collector's Edition".

I'm thinking it's pretty likely there'll be a "Collector's Edition" for Season 2 as well. With store exclusives getting more popular, studios have started making them for the stores to purchase. The Hellboy Animated DVDs had a Special Edition with some toy included in a specially-made box. The first movie's version of this went to Best Buy, but then Circuit City got one just like it for the second movie. Best Buy chose a different (and better) exclusive instead. Also, all four of the Marvel Animated Feature DVDs have had the same bonuses for both Best Buy (trading cards) & Target (CD-ROM comic). So if Target doesn't end up with a Season 2 CE this time next year, another store still could. :)

What I'm wondering at the moment is if they're going to include the six-episode spin-off series "Heroes: Origins" that will follow Season 2 on the Season 2 DVD (making for a total of 30 episodes), or will it be released seperately? :p

fujishig 08-30-07 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Unfortunately, I believe every retailer is selling this for retail price: $99.95
Your best bet is online...

It's 79.95 at Fry's, so you could pricematch if you have a Fry's nearby. Otherwise, I think Amazon +tvguide promo is still the best deal on this (though they have yet to ship my order out).

bookcase3 08-31-07 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Unfortunately, I believe every retailer is selling this for retail price: $99.95
Your best bet is online...

If you factor out the two competing formats, the price of HD discs is the primary reason I've not taken the HD plunge.

ajcstr 08-31-07 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by rmick
Anyone wanna post a pic of the inside of the standard set?

here it is http://www.nbc.com/Heroes/dvd/

So the target set does not include the flip book ?

TOLEN 08-31-07 05:47 PM

I used the 5 off Target coupon this afternoon no problem. And my Target had about 10 of their SE versions.

shyguy1083 08-31-07 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by ajcstr
here it is http://www.nbc.com/Heroes/dvd/

So the target set does not include the flip book ?

i assume by flipbook, you mean the open digipak where the discs are stored?

the target version has its own, but from what i can tell, the images that are underneath the plastic are a bit different.

MEJHarrison 08-31-07 06:55 PM

I'm not sure what the regular DVD set looks like, but I just got my HD DVD set today. In addition to the obvious advantages of being HD, it doesn't have overlapping discs. :banana:

I HATE overlapping discs. :D

Altimus Prime 08-31-07 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
I'm not sure what the regular DVD set looks like, but I just got my HD DVD set today. In addition to the obvious advantages of being HD, it doesn't have overlapping discs. :banana:

I HATE overlapping discs. :D

The regular set overlaps the discs too. I'm not a big fan, because of having to remove a disc to get to a disc.

The packaging for the regular set is completely different. See that "pouch" panel on the far left - it's not there on the regular set. Although there is an insert in the regular set - a promo for the next season one on side, an ad for the Versa on the other.

The background images behind the discs appears to be the same.

ajcstr 09-02-07 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by shyguy1083
i assume by flipbook, you mean the open digipak where the discs are stored?

the target version has its own, but from what i can tell, the images that are underneath the plastic are a bit different.

no, if you follow the link I posted http://www.nbc.com/Heroes/dvd/ there is a box that says "click here to view the flip book"

Looks like the flip book gives a short description of the episodes on each disk. But it sounds like it is actually in neither set?

TomOpus 09-02-07 05:38 PM

The so-called "flip book" is printed on the actual digipak flaps. See the pic that was posted a couple posts above (#157) that shows the discs in the digipak? If you turned it over, you'd see the "flip book" printed on other side of the discs.

If you need a pic, I can do one for ya.

ajcstr 09-02-07 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
The so-called "flip book" is printed on the actual digipak flaps. See the pic that was posted a couple posts above (#157) that shows the discs in the digipak? If you turned it over, you'd see the "flip book" printed on other side of the discs.

If you need a pic, I can do one for ya.

No, I get it now - thanks

TomOpus 09-02-07 05:46 PM

Ok, cool. NBC's description is misleading and makes it sounds like you actually get a separate item. Reminds me back when "disc art" and "menu selections" were listed as special features :lol:

Superman07 09-02-07 06:57 PM

So thanks to BB's screwup I managed to get the Season 1 set today for $34. I had just finished watching disc 1 through Netflix this morning and was itching to see the rest. However, despite the fact I do not own a BR or HD player, I think I am going to return the set and eventually pick up the HD set in a year or so once I get my hands on a dual format player.

Netflix for the rest of the season it is then. Besides, by then hopefully it won't be $99/season. :)

davron 09-02-07 11:10 PM

Below is the site for all coupons you might want to use this weekend;

http://www.dealcatcher.com/

shyguy1083 09-02-07 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Ok, cool. NBC's description is misleading and makes it sounds like you actually get a separate item. Reminds me back when "disc art" and "menu selections" were listed as special features :lol:

with all the simple gray face discs (zodiac, disturbia) or the black text on disc (hot fuzz, anything universal it seems), the discs are so plain and non-descript i almost miss the "disc art" as a "special feature."

Aegean2007 09-03-07 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by shyguy1083
...or the black text on disc (hot fuzz, anything universal it seems), the discs are so plain and non-descript i almost miss the "disc art" as a "special feature."

Actually, I think that the Hot Fuzz disc art is kind of clever:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425112/...t/81429937?p=1

shyguy1083 09-03-07 12:58 AM

^ it is a happy coincidence, so i suppose you can look at it that way. if that truly was the reason why the disc art is the way it is, then i'm all for it.

BUT seeing as all of universal's recent discs follow that black text style (see: children of men, smokin' aces, alpha dog, king kong deluxe edition, etc. etc. etc.) i'm guessing it's more universal being cheap and not wanting to put disc artwork on the dvd and not a clever tongue-in-cheek reference to the movie itself. i can't know for sure, but it sure seems that way.

Aegean2007 09-03-07 02:05 AM

Yeah, I just looked at my Children of Men and King Kong and you're right.

I'll have to watch those movies again and look for the DVDs in them that look like that. ;)

chaingunsofdoom 09-12-07 01:30 AM

I know this thread is old now (over a week since the last post!) but I had some sticker-shock at Target tonight... the Exclusive set is $54.99 now. :( I used the $5 off $25 coupon to soften the blow a bit, but I figured it was still worth it since there are no Targets in Canada.

AGENTCLPT 09-15-07 03:56 PM

When I tried to purchase the Target exclusive 8 DVD set last night in College Point, Queens, they rang up $59.99. I pointed out that they had it listed on the SHELF for $36.99 and after they checked, they rang it up at the lower price for me, so you may want to go back with a receipt. The $36.99 price was good until 9/15 according to what they listed.

Trevor 09-15-07 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by AGENTCLPT
When I tried to purchase the Target exclusive 8 DVD set last night in College Point, Queens, they rang up $59.99. I pointed out that they had it listed on the SHELF for $36.99 and after they checked, they rang it up at the lower price for me, so you may want to go back with a receipt. The $36.99 price was good until 9/15 according to what they listed.

You got lucky. The $36.99 price ($31.99 after coupon) is for the regular version, clearly pictured in the weekly flyer.

AGENTCLPT 09-15-07 04:14 PM

I guess I did because I didn't know any better, but in a way that was their fault because they only had the Target Exclusive versions on the shelves with the $36.99 pricetag. I didn't even realize there was one separate!