DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Heroes in-store excusives? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/508661-heroes-store-excusives.html)

Trevor 08-28-07 07:46 PM

Bought 3 sets today, resisted the trading cards at CC (go Speedy!).

Two questions from someone who has never watched Heroes:

1 - Should I start with the never aired premiere, or go with the episodes as aired and watch that later?

2 - On the bonus disc at Walmart, are the four FNL episodes the first four?

hindolio 08-28-07 08:26 PM

thanks for the $5 target coupon op!

i printed it out straight without resizing and it filled the entire upper half of a regular sheet of paper. cashier took it without difficulties, but had to hold the barcode gun about a foot or so away lol!

OldBoy 08-28-07 08:35 PM

it surely does. tanks very much. very nice set!

OldBoy 08-28-07 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Bought 3 sets today, resisted the trading cards at CC (go Speedy!).

Two questions from someone who has never watched Heroes:

1 - Should I start with the never aired premiere, or go with the episodes as aired and watch that later?

go with the unaired. it is the regular episode, just expanded. really no reason to see original until maybe after just to see differences.

Trevor 08-28-07 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
go with the unaired. it is the regular episode, just expanded. really no reason to see original until maybe after just to see differences.

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure it didn't give away anything that was better not revealed until later episodes.

I'm looking forward to seeing this, seems like a show up my alley.

Altimus Prime 08-28-07 09:18 PM

I just watched the unaired ep. I'm not sure, but I think this has things that, in the regular course of the series, were aired/revealed in later eps. And I think there's an entirely different take on a character who's introduced later. I need to watch the original first ep to be sure, but it seems like it might cause confusion for a first-time viewer.

I want to see if there's something online detailing the differences, to verify if what I'm thinking is correct.

*** From something I just read, there ARE major differences between things in the unaired pilot and the aired version. It's not just an expanded version. I'd suggest starting with the aired version.

The reverse of what Scott said is the case - you wouldn't want to watch the unaired pilot until after you've seen the whole series, to see the differences. The unaired pilot doesn't fit with what follows.

OldBoy 08-28-07 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
I just watched the unaired ep. I'm not sure, but I think this has things that, in the regular course of the series, were aired/revealed in later eps. And I think there's an entirely different take on a character who's introduced later. I need to watch the original first ep to be sure, but it seems like it might cause confusion for a first-time viewer.

I want to see if there's something online detailing the differences, to verify if what I'm thinking is correct.

*** From something I just read, there ARE major differences between things in the unaired pilot and the aired version. It's not just an expanded version. I'd suggest starting with the aired version.

The reverse of what Scott said is the case - you wouldn't want to watch the unaired pilot until after you've seen the whole series, to see the differences. The unaired pilot doesn't fit with what follows.

to each his own, but of course you would contradict me.

Altimus Prime 08-28-07 10:16 PM

to each his own, but of course you would contradict me.

Sigh...

Here's a post from someone else at a Heroes message board. Maybe you'll believe him or her, unless you're carrying a grudge against them, too.

I just finished watching the original unaired pilot for Heroes that is included on the Season 1 DVDs. Very intertesting to see how things developed differently. The character that became Ted was a whole different person with completely different motivations. The events at the railroad disaster where Claire saved that guy were actually tied to the story. And Isaac's story took a much darker turn. It was quite fascinating to see the original concept in comparison to the finished product that we saw on TV.
Maybe you'll believe it if someone else says it.

Here's some more...

The wonders of selective editing are particularly important to the DVD's most intriguing feature, the 73-minute studio pilot seen mostly by industry insiders and one group of excited fans at San Diego Comic-Con. A phenomenal insight into the storytelling process and studio creative decision-making, the original pilot features a notoriously excised terrorist storyline, an plot that introduced mind-reading Matt in the first episode rather than later in the show's run. In an interesting, but rarely revelatory nuts-and-bolts commentary, creator Tim Kring explains that the network worried that if "Heroes" were to be an 8 p.m. show (it wasn't) that darker, ripped-from-the-headlines arc wouldn't be appropriate. Kring admits now that he understands the choice and watching the cut footage -- more "Sleeper Cell"-lite than fitting with the show's eventual tone -- it's obvious that the network's move was correct.
You are so wrong on this, Scott. No debate. It's not opinion. It's fact. Care to apologize now?

LKirven517 08-28-07 10:19 PM

it surely does. tanks very much. very nice set!

you are welcome...glad I could help

Rogue588 08-28-07 10:29 PM

Yes, there are. In fact, our very own Daniel Hirshleifer mentions (in the HD review) that there's another actor playing Sylar. Pretty major difference if ya ask me..

Altimus Prime 08-28-07 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Yes, there are. In fact, our very own Daniel Hirshleifer mentions (in the HD review) that there's another actor playing Sylar. Pretty major difference if ya ask me..

I didn't look at the HD review, since I don't have that. But yeah, I noticed that too. I just got done watching the first aired ep. Sylar doesn't appear. Neither does the cop. And the whole Muslim thing is gone.

I missed Hereoes when it aired on TV. Did it premiere with just a single ep, or was it a double?

This version of the show's pilot runs 73 minutes and includes several extra plotlines. In addition, scenes from the aired pilot sometimes get cut in this version, which was put together by creator Tim Kring. It's very different, even to the point of having another actor playing Sylar. There's also a commentary with Kring, who outlines the changes and gives some anecdotes.
So, Scott...

bookcase3 08-29-07 08:11 AM

What does the spine look like on the Target Deluxe Edition, compared to the regular edition. Just curious whether it will match up with future seasons.

KHook321 08-29-07 08:27 AM

There ARE major differences between the two pilots. I watched the unaired pilot when it leaked last summer, before the season began. Then I watched the premiere on TV and noticed some differences. I'd watch the aired pilot along with the rest of the season.

Trevor 08-29-07 08:48 AM

Thanks all. I think you're right, best to see the episodes as they aired, and then the unaired pilot afterwards.

Anyone check out the WM exclusive disc yet? Are the 4 included FNL episodes the first four?

cardaway 08-29-07 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by JB7

Much better, thanks. I printed out making it about a quarter of a page (anoything larger looked stratched and fake) and the cashier scanned it with no problems. Exclusive set for only 39.99! Very nice set IMO and I really like the packaging over the regular version.

Altimus Prime 08-29-07 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by KHook321
There ARE major differences between the two pilots. I watched the unaired pilot when it leaked last summer, before the season began. Then I watched the premiere on TV and noticed some differences. I'd watch the aired pilot along with the rest of the season.

You must have a grudge against Scott, too. ;) :lol:

... I wonder where he went...

Trevor: Glad to see you caught the right advice before watching. IMO, if you haven't seen the show yet, watching the unaired pilot first would mess up the rest of the series for you.

shyguy1083 08-29-07 07:44 PM

P.S. With all this talk about the Target "exclusives," the comic book being offered at BBuy has been completely overlooked. What's it like? Any good? That might have interested me more than the Target offer.

comic book was the same size as the dvd case. it was included on-pack. size/page count was very similar to that of the serenity/spawn comic books included in the past couple weeks if you're familiar with those. sticker on the set said it was same comic that was passed out at comic-con. can't 100% confirm that since i never saw pics/scans of the comic-con book. a nice little addition, but nowhere near as nice of an exclusive as target's set.

i gotta say, target's set is truly AWESOME. glad to see it was a completely different from the regular edition and not just some bonus disc thrown in a little sleeve inside the case and that the slipcover was actually conceived as part of the package, not just another picture like with target's OC s4 exclusive package. i also love how the bonus disc artwork matched that of the set and wasn't like the ugly betty target bonus/hot fuzz wal-mart bonus disc which either didn't match or had a huge "WAL-MART EXCLUSIVE" written on it. granted, content is always important, but it's nice to see some effort put into this exclusive. it was well worth the extra $8... but with that $5 coupon, it was really only $3 more than the regular edition!

one question though: did the regular edition have an insert? i know in the deluxe edition, all the episode info was written on the fold-out case, so i wasn't sure if this was similar for the regular edition. anyone purchase the regular edition and care to upload photos like lkirven did? i'd really like to see a comparison, if only for curiosity's sake.

OldBoy 08-29-07 08:24 PM

You must have a grudge against Scott, too. ;) :lol:

... I wonder where he went...

Trevor: Glad to see you caught the right advice before watching. IMO, if you haven't seen the show yet, watching the unaired pilot first would mess up the rest of the series for you.

i just don't care to lower myself to you anymore. you've made the 3 subsequent different posts calling me out to my one. so please don't take my silence as anything other than complete ignoring. this is my last on the matter.

Altimus Prime 08-29-07 09:13 PM

i just don't care to lower myself to you anymore. you've made the 3 subsequent different posts calling me out to my one. so please don't take my silence as anything other than complete ignoring. this is my last on the matter.

:lol: You were wrong, you just won't admit it. You gave someone wrong advice.

Our "dispute" over Flash Gordon had nothing to do with my initial reply. You're the one who seems to think I care about you anymore. Anyone could have made the post you did, and I would've responded just the same. I absolutely, positively did not post only to "contradict" you. I was just setting the record straight for Trevor about Heroes.

My posts were providing proof of the facts.

I take your silence as fact you're not man enough to admit when you are flat out wrong.

Altimus Prime 08-29-07 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by shyguy1083
comic book was the same size as the dvd case. it was included on-pack. size/page count was very similar to that of the serenity/spawn comic books included in the past couple weeks if you're familiar with those. sticker on the set said it was same comic that was passed out at comic-con. can't 100% confirm that since i never saw pics/scans of the comic-con book. a nice little addition, but nowhere near as nice of an exclusive as target's set.

i gotta say, target's set is truly AWESOME. glad to see it was a completely different from the regular edition and not just some bonus disc thrown in a little sleeve inside the case and that the slipcover was actually conceived as part of the package, not just another picture like with target's OC s4 exclusive package. i also love how the bonus disc artwork matched that of the set and wasn't like the ugly betty target bonus/hot fuzz wal-mart bonus disc which either didn't match or had a huge "WAL-MART EXCLUSIVE" written on it. granted, content is always important, but it's nice to see some effort put into this exclusive. it was well worth the extra $8... but with that $5 coupon, it was really only $3 more than the regular edition!

Actually, the price difference is still $7. I used the coupon on the regular edition.

one question though: did the regular edition have an insert? i know in the deluxe edition, all the episode info was written on the fold-out case, so i wasn't sure if this was similar for the regular edition. anyone purchase the regular edition and care to upload photos like lkirven did? i'd really like to see a comparison, if only for curiosity's sake.
There's a one-sheet insert with a Nissan Versa ad on one side and a promo for the new season on the other.

bluetoast 08-29-07 10:41 PM

Picked up the Collector's Edition at Target, with Coupon and got Karate Kid ($4.99) with it, essentially free. Good deal, the Q+A on the last disc was pretty interesting.

shyguy1083 08-29-07 11:08 PM

Actually, the price difference is still $7. I used the coupon on the regular edition.

well, yes, that is true. but in my mind, i was all prepared to spend $36.99 before learning of the coupon, so getting the deluxe edition for $39.99 was still only $3 more than i was anticipating/expecting to pay, even if i could've used the coupon with the regular edition also.

TheJoker 08-30-07 01:42 AM

Ill check for the Target Exclusive tomorrow...hopefully theyll still have it...I like the cover/box so much better.

Brewc 08-30-07 06:50 AM

How much does CC and BB have the HD-DVD set for this week?

kenbenobi 08-30-07 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Brewc
How much does CC and BB have the HD-DVD set for this week?

Unfortunately, I believe every retailer is selling this for retail price: $99.95
Your best bet is online...