Best Buy Prices: August 5 - August 11, 2007

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Best Buy Prices: August 5 - August 11, 2007

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-07, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked up King Kong: Deluxe Extended Edition for $9.99. I looked at Northern Exposure. Season 1 was in the parka. Season 2 was not. I'd rather have both in parka or just get the box with both seasons. I may buy Northern Exposure. I just haven't watched the show in years.
Old 08-06-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
You could probably buy both, they'd ring up as $20 each with promo, and then later return the duplicate 1st season.
Pretty sure since it's a "package deal" they'd just return 9.99 or whatever.
Then again, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.
Old 08-06-07, 02:20 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by FangsFirst
Pretty sure since it's a "package deal" they'd just return 9.99 or whatever.
Then again, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.
In the past, whenever they have a package deal like 2 for $20 that prices both titles as $10 on your receipt, you can return one and get that $10 back.

But if it is a package that gives you a giftcard, and you return part of the package and not the gift card, it takes half the giftcard value (of a 2 dvd package) out of your return price.
Old 08-06-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
In the past, whenever they have a package deal like 2 for $20 that prices both titles as $10 on your receipt, you can return one and get that $10 back.

But if it is a package that gives you a giftcard, and you return part of the package and not the gift card, it takes half the giftcard value (of a 2 dvd package) out of your return price.
Hm, well, thanks for the info, I WILL keep that in mind, then...
Old 08-06-07, 06:38 PM

Got my Kong, Roger Rabbit and SNL Commercial parodies. My sister grabbed Shes the Man and priced matched it for $6.99

Plus I saw that they still had one 3 disc DaVinci Code (extra disc was for an audio CD of Angels and Demons) Wanted to grab that and see if I could get it for the $9.99 price since the package looked exactly like the 2 discer (except with a slipcover). But at the end I decided against it.

And also, they had the Whole Mr.Bean collection on sale for $24.99.....so many things I wanted but I held off on getting.
Old 08-06-07, 06:38 PM

For anyone who purchased King Kong: Deluxe Extended Edition for $9.99, can you tell me what's inside the case when you open it? I was about to purchase it today, and there was about a half a dozen copies, but being a stickler for loose disks, I can swear there was a loose disk in every copy. Something heavy was rattling inside there and I'm almost certain it wasn't a booklet. I'm curious as to how the disks are housed and if there is an insert.
Old 08-06-07, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by consoleman
For anyone who purchased King Kong: Deluxe Extended Edition for $9.99, can you tell me what's inside the case when you open it? I was about to purchase it today, and there was about a half a dozen copies, but being a stickler for loose disks, I can swear there was a loose disk in every copy. Something heavy was rattling inside there and I'm almost certain it wasn't a booklet. I'm curious as to how the disks are housed and if there is an insert.
There's an insert. That's probably what you were hearing.
Old 08-06-07, 07:06 PM

Nope, check carefully when you buy the King Kong sets. Most of the ones I picked up had loosediscs inside the case. It was loud and some of them had the coverart wrinkled as well.

So yeah....keep a look out. The Roger Rabbits werent in the $6.99 bin but they had tons when I looked in the aisles...
Old 08-06-07, 07:12 PM

Thanks. I guess I'll see if I can hunt down a copy tomorrow where there isn't any heavy rattling. I was almost sure it was loose discs but to have it in every copy was kind of weird. $10 for this 3-disc version is a great deal so hopefully I can get a good one.

Last edited by consoleman; 08-06-07 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-06-07, 07:48 PM

The thing is though, the copies in the bin are just dumped in there and tossed around by customers. Its like Walmart with their $5 dump bins. Youll have to search around for a decent unscratched copy.
Old 08-06-07, 08:35 PM

sweet. I got king kong and both northern exposures for 6.99. they rang up at 9.99 but I told the kid I got them right out of that 6.99 bin up there and there were a bunch more in it so they marked it down.
Old 08-06-07, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sandman007
There's an insert. That's probably what you were hearing.
Highly unlikely. That insert is thin and light as a feather. The first one I grabbed had a loose disk inside. Then I had to find a good cardboard cover (some didn't even have that) then I had to check the case and inner cover for damage. One copy had part of the lower corner of the inner cover sheet inside the shrink wrap ripped off.

The case squeezes easily, which causes the disks to pop off the hub.
Old 08-06-07, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by utopia23
sweet. I got king kong and both northern exposures for 6.99. they rang up at 9.99 but I told the kid I got them right out of that 6.99 bin up there and there were a bunch more in it so they marked it down.
Well, if you were going to defraud them, you should have said they came from the $3.99 bin.
Old 08-06-07, 10:32 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Peep
Well, if you were going to defraud them, you should have said they came from the $3.99 bin.
i would be all like..

"um, i brought these in with me. k, thanks"
Old 08-06-07, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by An4h0ny
i would be all like..

"um, i brought these in with me. k, thanks"
"I brought these in to identify the three copies of each I accidentally left here when I came in earlier."
Old 08-07-07, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by MrTerrific
The Best Buy in McDonough, Georgia has a price tag of $9.99 up for Northern Exposure Season 5. It rung up as $43.99 at the counter and I told the cashier that they had a tag up for $9.99. She called a manager over and they checked the price tag and gave it to me for the low price.
I had a similar experience, but did you one better---I got all 6 Northern Exposure seasons for $9.99! I noticed the same signage you did regarding season 5. I brought all the seasons to an associate wondering around the DVD section. She actually worked in a different department and brought me to her scanner and check the price on them. All of them (seasons 3-6) rang up at the $43.99. I showed her the $9.99 shelf tag. She suggested if I wanted them all for $9.99 to explain to the front cashier about the pricing...saying she found it hard to believe that seasons 1/2/5 were the only ones on sale.

I brought them up to the cashier thinking it was worth a shot. I was all ready to plead my case and I didn't even have to. The cashier told me up front, 'yeah--they're all $9.99, I'll have to do a price adjustment' When he called someone else over to key in the new price, they even asked if he was sure they were all on sale. The cashier went on to say that he had checked on this yesterday and was confident they were.

Out the door with no problems! With the sale dvds I picked up as well, I will have earned a $10 'Summer of Entertainment' certificate just from last night's trip!
Old 08-07-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
On Sunday, I stopped by the Reston, VA, BB and bought the following:The Producers, The Game, Saturday Night Live: The Best of Commercial Parodies, and
I PM'd from CC: Scrubs: The Complete Fifth Season ($21.99), Rain Man:SE ($3.99), and Field of Dreams ($3.99).
Old 08-07-07, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I had a similar experience, but did you one better---I got all 6 Northern Exposure seasons for $9.99! I noticed the same signage you did regarding season 5. I brought all the seasons to an associate wondering around the DVD section. She actually worked in a different department and brought me to her scanner and check the price on them. All of them (seasons 3-6) rang up at the $43.99. I showed her the $9.99 shelf tag. She suggested if I wanted them all for $9.99 to explain to the front cashier about the pricing...saying she found it hard to believe that seasons 1/2/5 were the only ones on sale.

I brought them up to the cashier thinking it was worth a shot. I was all ready to plead my case and I didn't even have to. The cashier told me up front, 'yeah--they're all $9.99, I'll have to do a price adjustment' When he called someone else over to key in the new price, they even asked if he was sure they were all on sale. The cashier went on to say that he had checked on this yesterday and was confident they were.

Out the door with no problems! With the sale dvds I picked up as well, I will have earned a $10 'Summer of Entertainment' certificate just from last night's trip!
Damnit. I didn't even think to check the others. 1 & 2 were an impulse buy. Might have to go back for the others later.

Also nabbed Muppet Show: S2 with the felt cover.
Old 08-07-07, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BB.com has a 2 for $40 offer for Seasons 1 and 2 of the Muppet Show -- does anyone know if this offer is for in-store as well?
Old 08-07-07, 10:39 AM

Does BB take competitors coupons? I have a $15 off coupon for CC and I plan on picking up Rome S1 & S2 today. I would rather get them at BB so I can take advantage of the Entertainment bonus.
Old 08-07-07, 10:46 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by hotwls13
Does BB take competitors coupons? I have a $15 off coupon for CC and I plan on picking up Rome S1 & S2 today. I would rather get them at BB so I can take advantage of the Entertainment bonus.
I know that CC takes BB coupons, but I've never tried the reverse.
Old 08-07-07, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by consoleman
Buy one. Open it. If the disc is damaged, return it. Simple.

Or is an undamaged loose disc still no good for you? (which gets a big WTF from me.)

... and if every single copy has the same sound, it's highly unlikely that every single copy has a loose disc. They do put things inside cases, ya know.
Old 08-07-07, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by TheJoker
Got my Kong, Roger Rabbit and SNL Commercial parodies. My sister grabbed Shes the Man and priced matched it for $6.99

Plus I saw that they still had one 3 disc DaVinci Code (extra disc was for an audio CD of Angels and Demons) Wanted to grab that and see if I could get it for the $9.99 price since the package looked exactly like the 2 discer (except with a slipcover). But at the end I decided against it.

And also, they had the Whole Mr.Bean collection on sale for $24.99.....so many things I wanted but I held off on getting.
3 disc DaVinci Code (extra disc was for an audio CD of Angels and Demons) is also $9.99 i just got back from BB to get a copy... so if you want it go get it from the shelf..
Old 08-07-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bookcase3
BB.com has a 2 for $40 offer for Seasons 1 and 2 of the Muppet Show -- does anyone know if this offer is for in-store as well?
I'll answer my own question in case it helps anyone else out there: I printed out the online special from BB.com and they honored the price in-store, so I got both seasons of Muppet Show for $40. I wish they still had the felt case for Season 1, but that serves me right for waiting. But you can't beat $20 each!
Old 08-07-07, 12:59 PM

The BB in Eau Claire, WI had the parka editions and only the parka editions marked as 9.99

I didn't particularly care, so I picked up both of the parka editions. I just wish there was some writing on the spine.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.