Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

For those of us who've been waiting... extra 20% trade-in credit @ SecondSpin.com!

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

For those of us who've been waiting... extra 20% trade-in credit @ SecondSpin.com!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-07, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
Thanks for the link. I'm sure I can scrounge up a box from somewhere. I'm tempted to run to Gamestop tomorrow to grab a copy of Timesplitters lol.
Be careful with Timesplitters. I tried to flip it at FYE and it rang up in their system for only one cent! I know that wherehouse.com and secondspin.com has it listed for $16 on their site, but I wouldn't be surprised if it also comes up at one cent.
Old 07-27-07, 08:46 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please pardon a potentially dumb question, but...

This would be my first time selling online (thanks for the link!) and I'm wondering about dvd's being "scratched". Are they talking about ANY wispy little line on the surface or are they talking obvious scratch? I'd hate to pack up anything that's just going to come right back.

Thanks!
Old 07-27-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

im pretty sure they reimburse you for the shipping cost as long as you send the dvds media mail...and as long as its more than like 3 dvds...right?
Old 07-27-07, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope, they don't reimburse for shipping. I think you're thinking of Spun.com?

Rob
Old 07-27-07, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

SS does not reimburse for shipping...will return dvds or cds that are scratched and will defintely charge you 50 cents for cases if they are at all damaged.
They pay next to nothing usually for common dvds. They do pay cash which is nice vs credit at most other places. I actually got "banned from their site for trading in"too many" duplicate titles...
Old 07-27-07, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah -- I figured that about Timesplitters. That or they would return it or something.
Old 07-27-07, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just saw this post on Cheapassgamer about secondspin:

Careful selling to secondspin, they will refuse your order even if you have the confirmed prices on the quote if they are overbought on that particular item. I assumed you'd be safe with the quote, but they will reject your items and send them back to you. You'd think they'd refuse the order at checkout, but you won't know for sure until they receive them. Had to learn this the hard way, so keep that in mind.

Any truth to this? Has anyone shared the same experience?
Old 07-28-07, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Be careful with Timesplitters. I tried to flip it at FYE and it rang up in their system for only one cent! I know that wherehouse.com and secondspin.com has it listed for $16 on their site, but I wouldn't be surprised if it also comes up at one cent.
Ive sent about 5 copies of Timesplitters to wherehouse. It used to get $26 (when it was $5 used at EB) and has slowly dropped - but yes, you do get that credit. I also have no idea why its been high for years and they never have caught it.
Old 07-28-07, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got an extra $6.60 on 7 pretty useless discs in my collection (they gave me $6 for Camelot: Special Edition w/snapper case). That helps to cover the shipping cost, which is why I would have been reluctant to do something like that on an order that was only $33 to begin with. Now I'll be getting $40 into my Paypal and can order some high-want titles on from DVD Planet in exchange. Thanks OP!
Old 07-28-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have so much stuff in my sell cart. It'd total $200 after bonus if all accepted. I went to the USPS site to just type in random LB amounts and 50 pounds would be something like $18 to ship, which isn't bad.
Old 07-28-07, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One last question for you guys, haha...

Since I have so much stuff I want to trade in, do you suggest splitting the order in two and sending it in two separate boxes?? I could do the games/DVDs in one and the CDs would fit nicely in a smaller box.
Old 07-28-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Umm... doesn't it almost always cost more to ship 2 items than one item even if the weight is the same? Unless you can't avoid it, you should probably just do one shipment.
Old 07-28-07, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah I found a box that worked, so there was no problem there. Submitted my order and I'll have this one sent out Monday.
Old 07-28-07, 07:19 PM
Cool New Member

Anyone have an idea on that scratch question? Don't mean to be obnoxious about it, but this offer expires tomorrow!

Thanks again!
Old 07-28-07, 07:48 PM

Website says if it has ANY scratches, whether it plays fine or not, its gonna be unacceptable.

Pain in the ass for when you're trading, but at least when you're buying you know you're gonna get a good looking product. Not sure why there was a thread for this deal and not the in-store bonus 45%. But that deal ended yesterday, so oh well.
Old 07-28-07, 11:02 PM

i don't know if they allow it but fed-ex ground and ups ground is very cheap. you can send shoe-box sized box for around $5. and you don't have to wait in line at the post office - you can go in the evening to kinkos or ups store. plus it's like a week faster.
Old 07-28-07, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm surprised that no one has yet asked an obvious question: how does the "buy" price at SecondSpin compare to a recent bid price from DVDPlanet? I have an old (expired) quote from DVDP and today's quote from SS gives me the impression that most DVDs would have received about 25-50 % more trade in value at DVDP even after factoring in the 20% bonus. Is this a fair assumption with a HUGE caveat that these are the outdated prices from the previous quote machine and no one knows what the new buy prices may be.
Old 07-29-07, 12:57 AM

Yes. That is a fair assumption. My $130 quote at DVDP became $80 at SecondSpin.
Old 07-29-07, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
The difference being that DVD Planet would only issue 'store credit' while Second Spin offers cash or money delivered to paypal if you desire, correct?
Old 07-29-07, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm glad I found out about dvdplanet not buying, but I'm going to skip on this deal. Wherehouse.com and secondspin pay VERY little for most titles. And an extra 20% on very little is still very little plus, for instance, sixty cents on a $3 sell. Worst of all, I can take it to an FYE or Suncoast store and get 25% in credit (plus 10% with the backstage pass) already, usually on top of their base price (listed on the web sites).

As for me, i'll wait for dvdplanet to come back up at the end of august. The price difference would be worth the risk.
Old 07-29-07, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so will secondspin.com still give you the full 20% more on your order even if it doesn't show up as 20% more on your invoice they send you via e-mail?
Old 07-29-07, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by DVDmaniac14
so will secondspin.com still give you the full 20% more on your order even if it doesn't show up as 20% more on your invoice they send you via e-mail?
Yes, I have the same problem. I got a confirmation screen for $119.70, but when the confirmation email arrived, it was only for $99.75 - the price of the goods without the 20% added.

This was despite the fact that the quote had the individual discs priced with 20% added - but the total was wrong. I was going to call them tomorrow to see what's up.
Old 07-29-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bleddyn Williams
Yes, I have the same problem. I got a confirmation screen for $119.70, but when the confirmation email arrived, it was only for $99.75 - the price of the goods without the 20% added.

This was despite the fact that the quote had the individual discs priced with 20% added - but the total was wrong. I was going to call them tomorrow to see what's up.
I received the same type of deal. The extra 20% showed up for the individual titles, but the total is being listed at the original amount. I hope they don't screw that up or what would be the point of this entire promotion? To create confusion like this is idiotic on their part.
Old 07-29-07, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
I received the same type of deal. The extra 20% showed up for the individual titles, but the total is being listed at the original amount. I hope they don't screw that up or what would be the point of this entire promotion? To create confusion like this is idiotic on their part.
I too was quoted at the regular price with the price + 20% listed for each individual title.

Weird...
Old 07-29-07, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To "correct" the problem of the e-mail confirmation not showing the extra 20%, I'm including in my shipment a printout of my "order" from their website. This shows the total as it should be, with the extra 20%, plus it has all the discs itemized, so it makes it easier on both ends to inventory the shipment and ensure everything's there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.