Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

4-Disc Die Hard Trilogy $7.50 at Best Buy, $6 at Circuit City w/PM

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
I went back to my CC to have someone check their stock count on the boxset since I could find none the day before. Their computer said they had 6 copies but a manager could not even find them. Their dvd section is a mess and he even commented how they could never find anything there. (uh...how about getting a clerk to clean the damn area up...that's what we did when I worked retail in college. jeez.)

I figured they had to be someone so I started looking an found one boxset in the bottom of the horror section behind lots of titles on their storage racks which are below the main racks.

Carried it up to a clerk to check out. He punched everything in and was about to clear it when he said to wait a minute. He said that going from $30 to $7.50 was a big difference and just wanted to run it by a manager. He took the ad to a manager (luckily female!) in a back room and disappeared for a couple of minutes. Came back and approved it (though he took off the 10% discount for some reason). I wasn't going to push my luck so I did not mention it. Got out for $8 and some change after tax.

Going to see Die Harderer in the next night or so since the money cash expires on Saturday.

Thanks for the deal!

And by the way...I did notice the difference in this set and the set they are selling at Wal-mart for $18.88. There are no commentaries on their set, no extras disc, and no movie cash.
Old 07-17-07, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Going to see Die Harderer...
Is that a new sequel I haven't heard of?
Old 07-17-07, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I went back to my CC to have someone check their stock count on the boxset since I could find none the day before. Their computer said they had 6 copies but a manager could not even find them. Their dvd section is a mess and he even commented how they could never find anything there. (uh...how about getting a clerk to clean the damn area up...that's what we did when I worked retail in college. jeez.)

I figured they had to be someone so I started looking an found one boxset in the bottom of the horror section behind lots of titles on their storage racks which are below the main racks.

Carried it up to a clerk to check out. He punched everything in and was about to clear it when he said to wait a minute. He said that going from $30 to $7.50 was a big difference and just wanted to run it by a manager. He took the ad to a manager (luckily female!) in a back room and disappeared for a couple of minutes. Came back and approved it (though he took off the 10% discount for some reason). I wasn't going to push my luck so I did not mention it. Got out for $8 and some change after tax.

Going to see Die Harderer in the next night or so since the money cash expires on Saturday.

Thanks for the deal!

And by the way...I did notice the difference in this set and the set they are selling at Wal-mart for $18.88. There are no commentaries on their set, no extras disc, and no movie cash.
There's no commentaries on the discs in the WalMart set? Then that would mean they pressed new discs for that one. I bought 2 and 3 individually, and they are just the first discs from the 2-disc SEs, with the commentaries as the only extra.
Old 07-17-07, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
There's no commentaries on the discs in the WalMart set? Then that would mean they pressed new discs for that one. I bought 2 and 3 individually, and they are just the first discs from the 2-disc SEs, with the commentaries as the only extra.
Correct.

The Wal*Mart set casing uses the picture art from the first movie.

It's completely different cover art for the set at CC / BB (with movie ticket).

Once I sold the clerk on NOT to read the text ABOVE the collection picture and to compare box sets, I was in.

But as stated above, mine is MOVIES only.

No 4th bonus promo disc or movie ticket.

And that's fine as this"ll be a nice gift.

Last edited by speedy1961; 07-17-07 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-17-07, 09:39 PM
Cool New Member

went to circuit city, showed them they ad, the girl went to bestbuy.com and said the deal is $7.50 for each movie separately, not for the box set.

So no go for me.
Old 07-18-07, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What's the promo code on the free movie money?

And it expires this Saturday, correct?
Old 07-18-07, 04:48 PM

Worked for me today at CC. Walked in with the Best Buy ad, took the DH collection to the girl working the DVD register, she adjusted the price right there. Probably the fastest purchase I have ever made at CC.

$8.xx with tax OTD.

I plan to use the ticket Friday night since that's the last day this ticket is good for.
Old 07-18-07, 08:33 PM

No problems here in Central New Jersey. Showed the kid at CC the BB ad and I was out of there in 2 minutes. They didn't do the 10% thing but I didn't want to go back and push my luck. I was really psyched that it came w/ a 4th "Yippee-Ki-Yay Bonus Disc" as well as a free ticket for LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD! After I saw that and how it all just paid for itself; this was all gravy baby. Free movie for me this wkend, and Potter Book 7, whoo-hoo!

--Dorfler
Old 07-18-07, 09:15 PM

went to circuit city today and they had 3 of the trilogies in stock. when i went to check out i noticed they had all of the registers closed with a sign that said to check out at customer service which made me worried. i showed the kid at customer service the best buy ad and 2 minutes later walked outta there with it for $5.60.
Old 07-19-07, 02:20 AM

my local CC had 4 sets that were missing the Yippee-Ki-Yay Bonus Disc but had 2 copies of die hard 2 in them. So there are probably a few more of these mispacked sets out there.

I did find 2 good sets. Bought one. they sold it to me for $7.50. At first they said no because it was below their cost. So I told them what part of low price guarantee do they not understand. They talked a bit more and then sold it to me.

Last edited by mr.bill; 07-19-07 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-19-07, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was in BB for something else tonight and noticed a flyer near the front of the store mentioning the Die Hard set being a mistake in the ad. Since I wasn't planing to get it anyway, it wasn't a problem for me. I was at the Mira Mesa store in case anyone was planning on trying that one.
Old 07-19-07, 02:11 PM

A question:

How much are the individual movies at Best Buy?

Or Circuit City, for that matter?

I don't have the flyer so I don't have anything for Circuit City to price match, thus I think I'm just gonna opt for the single disc editions of 1 and 2.

Is there someplace I can get them for 7.50 each?

Because I like that price a lot.

Thanks!
Old 07-19-07, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by IG80Nate
A question:

How much are the individual movies at Best Buy?

Or Circuit City, for that matter?

I don't have the flyer so I don't have anything for Circuit City to price match, thus I think I'm just gonna opt for the single disc editions of 1 and 2.

Is there someplace I can get them for 7.50 each?

Because I like that price a lot.

Thanks!
Best Buy has them individually for $7.50 each.
Old 07-19-07, 02:46 PM

Excellent, I'm headed there after work, thanks.

Anyone know the prices at Costco, if Costco has them?
Old 07-19-07, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got shut down at CC when I tried on Sunday. Cash register made me go to customer service for the price match and the girl there was paranoid about "getting in trouble" and called BB and got no answer, then proceded to call their regional office...it was a joke, I wasted 40mins there while she spent 10 looking at the ad, 10 looking at the website, then another 20 on the phone. But after the first 10mins passed, I stupidly kept thinking, "There is no way they are going to make me stand here much longer and not match the price." Reason #543 why I can't stand the CC by me.
Old 07-19-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BambooLounge
I got shut down at CC when I tried on Sunday. Cash register made me go to customer service for the price match and the girl there was paranoid about "getting in trouble" and called BB and got no answer, then proceded to call their regional office...it was a joke, I wasted 40mins there while she spent 10 looking at the ad, 10 looking at the website, then another 20 on the phone. But after the first 10mins passed, I stupidly kept thinking, "There is no way they are going to make me stand here much longer and not match the price." Reason #543 why I can't stand the CC by me.
Your experience is exactly what happened to me on Tuesday. I also thought the same thing-they'll honor it because they made me wait so long. Wrong!
Old 07-19-07, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Your experience is exactly what happened to me on Tuesday. I also thought the same thing-they'll honor it because they made me wait so long. Wrong!

Which CC did you go to Sweet Baby James?
Old 07-19-07, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^

Trumbull. I'll give Milford a crack on Saturday(there's now 2 locations out that way, so maybe I'll get lucky).
Old 07-19-07, 04:37 PM

Wow, that was too easy. Went there right after using 2 Fox coupons at Best Buy. Very productive 30 minutes.
Old 07-19-07, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
^

Trumbull. I'll give Milford a crack on Saturday(there's now 2 locations out that way, so maybe I'll get lucky).

Milford had 2 in stock as of Monday.
Old 07-19-07, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

According to Circuit City's inventory, the store in Boardman, Ohio had five in stock when I asked one of the workers there.

However, after ten minutes of searching, all that was yielded was a singular copy of Die Hard 2.

So, this Saturday, I will make a third trip up, in an effort to procure such a discount.
Old 07-19-07, 06:43 PM

I was able to score a copy in Brooklyn, Ohio plus a copy of Season Six of the Simpsons with the movie money for $19.99 (pricematching BB's sale). My cashier hardly looked at the flyer I brought it.
Old 07-19-07, 07:13 PM

Where do you get this flyer, or the coupons or whatever?

The sunday paper or sumpin?
Old 07-19-07, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by IG80Nate
Where do you get this flyer, or the coupons or whatever?

The sunday paper or sumpin?
Just the Best Buy ad from the week (which came in my Sunday paper and you can get at the store). No coupons were used. The cashier said that they would honor either Best Buy coupons or pricematch Best Buy's ad (the pricematch was the best deal for the Simpsons set). They didn't sell the Die Hard set for $6, but I'm not complaining.
Old 07-19-07, 10:03 PM

So while I was at BB and after I bought a few of the "AD" box sets, I give the "DHC" to the cashier and it rings up $34.99...

I say, "Look, it's supposed to be on sale for $7.50." but the youngin' thought he should consult the store manager first...

The manager comes over and sees the ad, looks at the box cover and says, "This is different than this."...

Of all the things he could have said, that was the worst one he could have choose because the picture CLEARLY shows the "DHC" box in the ad...

I say to him that it's in their ad and it is false advertising to not give it to me...

BTW, I was really calm and nonchalant and I didn't care if I got it or not because of "plan B"...

Well, the manager goes away and consults with a few other people and then brings back a notice that was somewhere saying that there was an error in the circular and "DHC" was NOT included in the $7.50 sale...

As soon as I saw that, I told him as long as you posted that, there is no problem and I walked out...

Plan B...

There is a Circuit City right down the block from BB so I go in there and find a "DHC" box set and bring it to the register...

She rings it up at $34.99 and then I show her the ad and ask for a price match...

She says "No problem" and rings it up for $7.50 - the 110% difference so my otd price for the 4 dvd set that includes a free movie ticket to the current Die Hard movie was $5.70...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.