Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

*****NEW $5 Wal-Mart DISPLAY*****

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-09, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: *****NEW $5 Wal-Mart DISPLAY*****

Originally Posted by joe_b
Spotted a Pam Grier double feature: Coffy/Friday Foster.
That's a good deal on those. I'll have to check around for it. Where are you located?
Old 05-16-09, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinalGuffman
That's a good deal on those. I'll have to check around for it. Where are you located?
Oh, sorry - this was in Lexington, KY at the New Circle Rd. store.

Coffy is a great buy, but I believe it's a non-anamorphic transfer. Not sure about Friday Foster, but they were both listed as widescreen on the back.

I also spotted Memoirs of a Geisha today - hadn't seen that one in the bin before.
Old 05-16-09, 07:19 PM

I picked up The Rainmaker SE for $5 this week. Tons of copies available.

They also had the SE of the first Mission: Impossible (Tom Cruise), which I don't believe I've seen in the bins before. And I also saw Evening and Atonement.
Old 05-16-09, 08:08 PM
Cool New Member

Anyone else's Wal*Mart undergoing renovation? There's a big sign at the door of mine, trumpeting "Only 45 Days" until everything's redone. The electronics section is still the same (maybe it'll be the last to be remodeled), but one of the things that's disappeared completely is the $5 bin. And no one I asked knows when or if it's coming back.
Old 05-16-09, 08:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my local Walmart stores is being remodeled/expanded to a Super Center. They got rid of the bin a long time ago, now they have the 4-sided shelf structure.
Old 05-16-09, 08:45 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks. I'll take that as a hopeful sign.
Old 05-16-09, 08:57 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Oakland
I picked up The Rainmaker SE for $5 this week. Tons of copies available.

They also had the SE of the first Mission: Impossible (Tom Cruise), which I don't believe I've seen in the bins before.
Both of those are at Big Lots for $3 if you're fortunate enough to have those near.
Originally Posted by supermike07
One of my local Walmart stores is being remodeled/expanded to a Super Center. They got rid of the bin a long time ago, now they have the 4-sided shelf structure.
Cool. One of mine is in the early stages of conversion. So I can expect better organization soon?
Old 05-16-09, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by EarlB
Anyone else's Wal*Mart undergoing renovation? There's a big sign at the door of mine, trumpeting "Only 45 Days" until everything's redone. The electronics section is still the same (maybe it'll be the last to be remodeled), but one of the things that's disappeared completely is the $5 bin. And no one I asked knows when or if it's coming back.
Yep, same here. We're at 33 days left and the electronics section is mostly done. It is about THREE times the size it was (fabrics department is virtually absent now) but as a person that was there a lot, I can say they only have 60-70% of the items they did have. They had 2 aisles of video games. Just one now. Had 1 1/2 aisles of all Blu-rays. Now 2 4-ft sections. Had 6 aisles of dvds, now 4 1/2. They are adding a LOT of space inbetween aisles and apparently are going to add some kind of Dell center. It's not completely done, but if the tv/movie/video game sets are done, I'll be extremely disappointed.

As to the $5 bin (gotta stay on topic ) it's gone. They now have an endcap on a dvd aisle with the more popular $4 and $5 titles (such as Transporter 2, Atonement FS and King Kong 1-disc). The lesser-known titles are gone; probably about 50-70 slots though.
Old 05-16-09, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by joe_b
Oh, sorry - this was in Lexington, KY at the New Circle Rd. store.

Coffy is a great buy, but I believe it's a non-anamorphic transfer. Not sure about Friday Foster, but they were both listed as widescreen on the back.

I also spotted Memoirs of a Geisha today - hadn't seen that one in the bin before.
thanks for the info!
Old 05-16-09, 09:08 PM
Banned

also saw a 2 pack of the Amityville Horror: SE (original) / the Amityville Horror: SE (remake) for $5
Old 05-17-09, 12:09 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trevor
Cool. One of mine is in the early stages of conversion. So I can expect better organization soon?
Possibly, if not, it may become worse to find anything. And even worse, they could get rid of the $5 DVD section altogether. Personally, the shelving unit they replaced the bin with here isn't much better - dvds are just thrown in them in any order. Maybe your store employees will keep the department more organized than they do here.
Old 05-17-09, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I was in a Wal-mart yesterday while on the road, and all the displays of any kind that used to "litter" the aisles were gone. Unreal how much walking space there was. Wondered if the $5 bin was gone, but instead discovered a "wrap-around" end cap display of them. No where near as many $5 titles available, but nice because all of the titles were face-forward making it easy to see what was there. Though, I suppose the digging through a pile and discovering a treasure is part of the fun.
Old 05-17-09, 09:46 AM

I feel that getting rid of the bin is a bad thing for us collectors. with the bin, the dvd vendors can throw in the occasional "oddball" title that they have, and those are usually the real gems.
Old 05-17-09, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My Walmart has undergone many changes. Many weeks ago they took out everything in the store's aisles (all of the $7.50, $9, and $13.xx displays). They put other discount DVD displays inside of electronics against the backwall where they have batteries and I think MP3 players. Then the PC games went from having their own shelf to having 2 endcaps. A while later the PC games only have 1 endcap. Then a giant open space appeared next to the Blu-Rays (which take up 1/3rd of 1 side of 1 aisle and is usually full of gaping holes). Then they got rid of the discount DVD displays in the front. So I'd say my electronics section has about half or a third as many DVDs and games as they used to have. I haven't found a single old title in an attempt to PM to BBY or Fry's since they did this. Only if it's a brand new release (which I rarely buy) do I have a chance of finding anything at my Walmart. I haven't found a DVD I wanted (or didn't already have) in the $5 bin for ages. They'll probably take the bin away too, but for now it's the last remnant of the days of DVD deals at Walmart. 2-4 years ago on Black Friday I'd come out of Walmart with quite a haul of DVDs. Last BF I got maybe a handful of DVDs from them (mostly PM'd Blu-Rays).

In effect they have said that they only want to sell 2 extremes: absolute latest new releases or old $5 bin stuff... with a few rare endcaps thrown in (like $9 3 packs or certain cheap TV seasons I don't want). Over the last year my Walmart has chosen to change themselves from my source of PM'd DVDs and games to a place where I only buy food and household items.
Old 05-19-09, 08:01 AM

If the $5 bin (or sometimes 4-sided shelf unit) vanishes, then so does my reason for hitting WM once a week. But it's been so rare lately that I've found anything I want (only 3-4 items so far this year), that it wouldn't be a great loss. My best sources for bargain DVDs for a year or two have been Half-Price Books and used disks at Blockbuster.
Old 05-22-09, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Found a single copy of Clueless: "Whatever!" Edition in the bin today.

Did I pass it up? As if! Guilty pleasure all the way.
Old 05-22-09, 09:11 PM
Banned

They have the 2-disk Special Edition of NIGHT AT THE MUSEAM for ONLY $7.50 on an endcap.
Very good deal and far less than most sellers have it for.
Old 05-22-09, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Forgive me if this has already mentioned, but I noticed a whole section of $9.00 "multi-packs" each containing two movies. There was probably 50 different ones--too many to list. Lots of solid titles, and since you'd come out a bit cheaper than the $5-bargain-bin-price, thought it was worth a mention.

I didn't look too closely, so I'm not sure if these were 2-discers or if they put both films on 1-disc.
Old 05-22-09, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The SE's of Mission Impossible and MI2 were $5 each. Plus they finally got widescreen copies of Jurrasic Park 3.
Old 05-23-09, 04:23 PM
X
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 126 Posts

Closed for length. Start a part 2 if you want.
Old 05-23-09, 08:00 PM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

New Thread.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...ml#post9462779