Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - June '07

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-07, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by visitor Q
Thanks to the fellow who posted up on the Rightstuf deal!

Though, I don't know much anime and I can't even complete a remix10 deal. I have 6 must buys but I have no idea on the last four. So, I'm asking for a little help .....

I'm intrigued by Gungrave and Requiem From the Darkness, but I'm not completely sold.

I like darker, philosophical material with intelligent humor and some violence. Action is a plus. Solid story is a must. Any advisement????

Thanks in advance all .........
I would recommend Paranoia Agent. It's definitely one of the more darker series included in the sale. It's also four volumes. I think it would be perfect for your tastes. To get a feel for the animation in this series, you should watch the trailer for Paprika (pretty sure you can find it on the Apple site) - It's the director's movie that's currently in theaters (going to see it this weekend!). Here you go:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/paprika/
Old 06-22-07, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by justbarelymovin
I would recommend Paranoia Agent. It's definitely one of the more darker series included in the sale. It's also four volumes. I think it would be perfect for your tastes. To get a feel for the animation in this series, you should watch the trailer for Paprika (pretty sure you can find it on the Apple site) - It's the director's movie that's currently in theaters (going to see it this weekend!). Here you go:

Thank you very much, Holly! But, you're gonna laugh ... Paranoia Agent is on the must buy list - doh!!!

So far - Paranoia Agent 1-4, Patlabor 3 and Hellsing are the six I'm going with. Earlier may have helped, no?? Heh ..... thanks again!!
Old 06-22-07, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thank you very much, Holly! But, you're gonna laugh ... Paranoia Agent is on the must buy list - doh!!!

So far - Paranoia Agent 1-4, Patlabor 3 and Hellsing are the six I'm going with. Earlier may have helped, no?? Heh ..... thanks again!!
It's too bad they don't include the entire Hellsing series. You'd think that they would since they have it as a Signature Series release. Hellsing is pretty money, especially the OVA (Ultimate).

I know it sounds silly, but I'd also recommend R.O.D. the TV - It gets a lot darker towards the end of the series. I'm not sure if that's -quite- your thing, but it really surprised me as a series.

Last Exile is also a favorite. It's worth checking out, definitely.

Idunno! The Patlabor 3 is a good choice - I didn't realize it was going to come as it's own little box set!

Anyway, I'm tired as hell, but good luck! I'm sure you'll find something.
Old 06-22-07, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would dump Hellsing and Patlabor and go with Texhnolyze 1-6. It's a very dark series(and a great one at that). You can always pick up Hellsing on the cheap through Columbia House.
Old 06-22-07, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

An FYE update-

I was able to get When They Cry Volume 1 with box and Ergo Proxy 2 for $29.99 plus tax today. I was afraid that they might have raised the price on When They Cry, but it's still ringing up for $29.99. A particularly good deal is the Strawberry Eggs Box. It's on sale for $29.99, so you can get that title for free with another $29.99 Geneon title(a great deal because it's the complete series on 4 DVDs and it's a very good series, IMO).
Old 06-22-07, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by WTK
Geneon B1G1 Sale @ FYE/Suncoast is extended to July 4th!
My FYE said they arent having the sale. Suck, cause i wanted to get a couple of things.
Old 06-22-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ShinMusashi44
My FYE said they arent having the sale. Suck, cause i wanted to get a couple of things.
I wouldn't take their word on it. Take two titles up to the register and have them scan it to see if it rings up as a BOGO. I've been to 5 FYE locations, 1 Strawberries and 1 Saturday Matinee and they are all participating in this BOGO promotion.
Old 06-22-07, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

SBJ and Holly .. thanks again!

I opted for the Texhnolyze 1-6 and Paranoia Agent 1-4 series. So, no one left hanging on that one! Both seem right up my alley ... much appreciation!!!
Old 06-22-07, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

SBJ and Holly .. thanks again!

I opted for the Texhnolyze 1-6 and Paranoia Agent 1-4 series. So, no one left hanging on that one! Both seem right up my alley ... much appreciation!!!
I don't think that you'll be disappointed in Texhnolyze. Did you get the combo pack for volume 1? You might as well because it's the first volume bundled together with the CD soundtrack. Here's the link-

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/cat...em/68769/4/0/0

If you did only order volume 1, you can email Shawne directly at [email protected] and ask him to make the swap. He's really great about doing swaps!
Old 06-22-07, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Christ ... now why wasn't that one listed!!!!!? I've sent an email to Shawn. I've always been a fan of DVD/OST releases just in case the track is any good. So .... well, thanks again SBJ!! Awfully kind, matey!! I owe ya one ...
Old 06-22-07, 10:41 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 538 Likes on 474 Posts
Originally Posted by justbarelymovin

I saw Paprika earlier this week. I thought the movie was not bad. Fans of Satoshi Kon's work should enjoy Paprika. Those who are unfamiliar with his work may not enjoy this movie as much...Now I hope 5cm Per Second comes to the Twin Cities later this year.
Old 06-22-07, 10:44 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by ShinMusashi44
Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I wouldn't take their word on it. Take two titles up to the register and have them scan it to see if it rings up as a BOGO. I've been to 5 FYE locations, 1 Strawberries and 1 Saturday Matinee and they are all participating in this BOGO promotion.
I would agree SBJ on this as well. As far I know all Trans World Entertainment stores should be participating in this sale. But sometimes the associates working may not be that knowledgeable about anime sales.
Old 06-22-07, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

FWIW, I was disappointed by Paprika - conceptually it seemed like a throw-back to 80s anime - tentacles, super-blobs, lots of abstract speechifying and the occasional inscrutable leap of logic. It was very pretty though and the imagery itself was very modern.
Old 06-22-07, 11:03 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
FWIW, I was disappointed by Paprika - conceptually it seemed like a throw-back to 80s anime - tentacles, super-blobs, lots of abstract speechifying and the occasional inscrutable leap of logic. It was very pretty though and the imagery itself was very modern.
I can understand what you're getting at. The film had the potential, but it fell short. And I didn't really like how the story ended. The animation though is top-notched.
Old 06-22-07, 11:47 PM

By any chance does anyone have any codes for eStarland at the moment? (trading in or buying)
Old 06-23-07, 12:29 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by guinaevere
By any chance does anyone have any codes for eStarland at the moment? (trading in or buying)
I don't think there is a coupon code out there right now. If I remember correctly, their last coupon code was active back in November '06.
Old 06-23-07, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is there anywhere to get anime figures for a decent price? Was bored at work today so I browsed through rightstuf's listing but don't really want to pay over $50 a piece. The ones I saw on ebay for under $10 didn't seem to have the same quality (and were about half the height).

How is the figure that comes with the Armitage lunch box (I read through the thread and saw a few people purchased it)? About how tall is she? I already have the dvd, so I would only get it for the figure. How about the one with Last Exile (even though it is out of stock)?
Old 06-23-07, 07:48 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by duganrm
Is there anywhere to get anime figures for a decent price? Was bored at work today so I browsed through rightstuf's listing but don't really want to pay over $50 a piece. The ones I saw on ebay for under $10 didn't seem to have the same quality (and were about half the height).

How is the figure that comes with the Armitage lunch box (I read through the thread and saw a few people purchased it)? About how tall is she? I already have the dvd, so I would only get it for the figure. How about the one with Last Exile (even though it is out of stock)?
I would stay away from eBay if you want to buy anime figures. They are plenty of bootleg figures in most auctions. The Naomi Armitage figure is about 3.5 inches tall and the Alvis figure is about 2 inches tall. Anime figure collecting is pretty expensive hobby, but be sure you don't get short changed by buying bootleg products. I know Right Stuf usually runs one anime figure sale a year, so that will be a good time to buy anime figures if you're interested.
Old 06-23-07, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not exactly cheap, but I've bought figures before at http://www.hlj.com

All official. Japanese company so you don't have the import markup, though you do have to pay international shipping (not too bad... last order I placed with two figures @ about $38 each the shipping was like $15 for airmail and it got to me inside of a week)

Edit: ok, was off a bit on the shipping, but pricing still isn't that bad (the exchange rate is about $1 = 123 yen). last order I placed for reference. under $100 for two really excellent quality figures shipped from Japan is great.

Item Code Item Name Quantity Price Extended Price
OHT50005 Mai Kawasumi Special Color 1 4,000 4,000
ORG02015 Tohno Minagi PVC 1 4,800 4,800
Merchandise Total: 8,800
Shipping Charge: 2,800
Total: 11,600

Last edited by wildcatlh; 06-23-07 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-23-07, 08:03 AM

HLJ can be a good place to buy items from. I will buy Gundam MSiA's from there. To make it cheaper, use SAL instead of EMS for shipping. It's much cheaper. I have never had a problem with SAL shipments, and always get the order in under 2 weeks. Alternatively, you can keep an eye out on the monthly publication Previews. It is released monthly and is the catalog virtually all comic shops use. Unless they are jerks, a comic shop should be able to order any item out of the magazine. They have a lot of anime figures each month.
Old 06-23-07, 08:07 AM

If you like dark Phsycological material check out Lain. Damn... I should have edited the prior post and put this in. o.x
Old 06-24-07, 04:40 PM

Here's some anime I saw at Big Lots other than what anifan posted:

All are $3 each:

Cowboy Bebop best Sessions
Gundam 0080 Complete Collection
Wolf's Rain vol. 7
SD Gundam force vol. 1,2
Gundam Seed vol. 1,2
Overman King Gainer vol. 1,2
Angel Tales vol. 1
Galaxy Angel vol. 1
IGPX (don't remember all the volumes, but I know they had vol. 1)
Zentrix Collection 1
Dragon Drive (don't remember which volume)
Mars Daybreak vol. 2,3
Hoop Days vol. 1
Sakura Taisen Ecole de Paris

There may have been one or two others that I don't remember, but if they were good I would've remembered them.

The Big Lots I saw these at didn't have any anime last week, so now's the time to check it out.

I also went to three Dollar Generals, but none of them had anything new.

I bought Gundam 0080 CC, Cowboy Bebop best sessions, and wolf's rain vol. 7. Does anyone recommend any of the others on this list?

Last edited by toldawg128; 06-24-07 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-24-07, 05:11 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

good find, the only anime at my big lots are a few random volumes of code lyoko and some dragon ball z
Old 06-24-07, 06:11 PM

I bought Gundam 0080 CC, Cowboy Bebop best sessions, and wolf's rain vol. 7. Does anyone recommend any of the others on this list?
I purchased the Mars Daybreak Complete Collection from Deep Discount's 20% off sale and watched all of it in record time. It was one of those that became addicting for me. The premise is pirates on Mars ... sounds unusual, but it was pretty exciting....especially the last few episodes. And...it actually had a pretty decent ending, which many anime series are lacking.

Dragon Drive is good...the animation style is beautiful. It's about a virtual game of battling dragons that becomes reality for a group of kids. They attempt to save the day for the alternate universe and of course, defeat the "evil" that is trying to cause chaos. (Did that make sense??)

SD Gundam force is chibi Gundam----for kiddies.

Overman King Gainer is pretty good...really funny in parts. In one scene Gainer gets the upper hand when an enemy woman attacks him. She says, "Just kill me!" He replies, "Awww...that would be no fun....let's make a baby instead!!!" That line had me LOL!!

Gundam Seed and IGPX have been on Cartoon Network....Did you see any of those episodes?

Anyway...enough of my blabbing....here's one thing I wonder. Those appear to be Bandai DVD's again (like last Summer). Wonder why Shawne (RS) hasn't convinced them to send all their extras to him??? Then he could have a bountiful Bandai sale. Just curious.

Last edited by anifan; 06-24-07 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-24-07, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the suggestions anifan. I have Mars Daybreak vol. 3 that I got from Dollar General, but I didn't like it. I've also seen a episode of IGPX, but that didn't interest me either. Thanks for the input on Gundam Seed and King Gainer, those were two I was looking at, but I heard Seed has a lot of whining kids, and I hate that kind of anime, so I wasn't sure.

I added Sakura Taisen Ecole de Paris to the list. I forgot about it. I saw it at another Big Lots along with other Funimation DVD's previously mentioned.

Also added Hoop Days vol. 1

Last edited by toldawg128; 06-24-07 at 09:55 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.