Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Prices of used DVD's heading south? RU buying used vs. new?

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Prices of used DVD's heading south? RU buying used vs. new?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-07, 09:48 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New. I prefer widescreen, and it seems that once they are moved from the new release area, Wal-Mart and Target only keep the fullscreen edition.
Old 04-11-07, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by pcdoctor
I try to keep my receipts.
I hate paying for the $14.99 B2G2 at MG because it's not $5 after the sale.
Some of the movies I don't want to wait long enough for them to be $9.99.
I haven't watched a ton of movies and my Sister thinks I'm crazy.
I say at least I'm not buying/using/selling drugs.
You can watch movies with your friends and family.

Hey DVDman, do you have an Amazon.com visa?
After so many points, you get a $25 gift certificate.
I've gotten a ton of stuff really cheap.
Dream Girls, Over The Hedge, Sex and The City, etc.
I'm just waiting for The Sopranos season 2 to go on sale so I can get it really cheap with the gift certificate.
No, I was always wanting to get one but I never did. I have Amex Blue card and I get points by using it too BUT only DVDs I can get is Gift cards to Toys R Us which kinda sucks cause their prices are high.
Old 04-11-07, 08:45 PM

The feeling of buying a new dvd, unwrapping it and knowing it is scratch free (hopefully) is wonderful but I buy a lot of dvds and I am not always able to watch them all within the month that stores give you to return and replace them. That's why Hollywood Video and their lifetime guarantee is a nice safety net.
Old 12-02-10, 04:06 PM

Re: Prices of used DVD's heading south? RU buying used vs. new?

I must say Im a huge fan of used dvd's from F.Y.E. Once I started going here about a year ago, my collection has grown by 300+. I like to walk through the isles and hunt for stuff on the shelves. Since they buy dvd's as well you never know what you'll find...IT ALWAYS CHANGES!!!
Old 12-02-10, 05:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ But their prices suck. I've seen some titles cost more used than brand new.
Old 12-02-10, 06:01 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hollywood Video ruined the Used DVD for me.
I can't tell you how many times I have gotten "Used, Like New" and I receive it and it has Hollywood stickers all over it. I'm more into waiting for a sale to get new items at used prices these days.
Old 12-02-10, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I'd say I go used about 60% of the time. I've purchased so many DVDs for 50 cents at yard sales that it's started to ruin me on video store prices. I've come across tons of major studio titles for a dollar or less just hunting around on a Saturday morning.

Also, the pawn shops around here have gotten down to $2 a title and the selection is huge. Most of the guys who run these places are great. If a movie doesn't play properly, you can trade it for another title with no questions. All those bargains have brought my average price to just over $3 per disc these past couple years (and that's factoring in my entire blu-ray collection).
Old 12-02-10, 10:01 PM

I only ever buy used if it's something that's completely out of print (like Cool World, for instance) and I can get it cheap enough. But even then, I strive to only get used DVDs that are in good condition.
Old 12-02-10, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

I also never buy used except for 3 or 4 times and with those I tossed the case and had the disc resurfaced.

People do not wash their hands, especially people who have to sell their DVDs, enjoy your cases covered in minute amounts of other peoples fecal matter.

Deals are easy enough to find, my per title average is 3.95 this year and they are all new.
Old 12-03-10, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Yes, apparently, the prices of used DVDs have fallen so drastically that poor people now use them to wipe their asses instead of toilet paper.
Old 12-03-10, 12:12 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
People do not wash their hands, especially people who have to sell their DVDs, enjoy your cases covered in minute amounts of other peoples fecal matter.

Wow, what an unbelievable comment.
Old 12-03-10, 08:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

50% of my buying since I started collecting 10 years ago has been used. Usually paying between $2.00 to $5.00 a title. As long as I'm allowed to first inspect the disc I'm good.
Old 12-03-10, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by supermike07
^ But their prices suck. I've seen some titles cost more used than brand new.
Guess it depends on what you are buying. A few years ago I would have 100% agreed with your statement but over the past 5 years or so their prices have gotten much better. I've found many great used and brand new titles their for $5.00 and under. And since they are a large chain and get a lot of trade-ins I've been able to find many used out of print titles in brand new condition for $5.00 or less. I used to avoid FYE like the plague but now I stop in every one I pass.
Old 12-03-10, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by bse
Wow, what an unbelievable comment.
While the fecal matter thing was a bit extreme, I do have to agree that it is amazing what some people seem to do with their DVDs (and games). I can understand dust on a case, that's normal. But having a case that looks like you went for a drive in your truck down a mud road? Or a case that looks like you ate an entire meal off it. Seriously, how does that even happen?

One thing that is slightly worse than that is that caked in smoker smell.
Old 12-03-10, 12:20 PM
Banned

You must be shopping in the wrong places...

Many people who sell DVDs are collector's themselves. I used to work in a DVD/CD exchange shop, majority of our customers weren't there to sell DVDs for money as they were swapping out something they didn't like for something new. The condition of the discs AND cases were near perfect, like they were only watched once.
Old 12-03-10, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by adam_omega
it is amazing what some people seem to do with their DVDs (and games). I can understand dust on a case, that's normal. But having a case that looks like you went for a drive in your truck down a mud road? Or a case that looks like you ate an entire meal off it. Seriously, how does that even happen?

One thing that is slightly worse than that is that caked in smoker smell.
I don't buy many used DVDs so I haven't really noticed that but I've always wondered how the hell record LPs and books that you see in charity shops or used sellers get in such damn awful shape, do people just leave them in their yard or in an attic or shed with holes in the roof? Just how is it possible to scratch and scuff up an record on this level?
Old 12-03-10, 12:41 PM

Of the hundreds of DVDs I own, only twenty or so are used. I don't see a point in buyiing used unless it's dramatically cheaper, like perhaps finding them for $1 at a library sale (donated dvds mind you, would never buy a ex-library DVD, half of those don't play correctly from all the handling and protection stickers) or maybe a good Amazon marketplace seller selling like new for pennies something that lists for over $20. But the charity shops, flea markets, and pawn shops in my area are a joke when it comes to used dvds. They don't know the difference between a $30 item and a Dollar Tree public domain disc and they often price their used dvds at prices higher than new copies. The pricey dvds almost never show up at either place in my area, just the dollar store/Walmart stuff that sells for under $10. The majority of the titles at my local pawn shop - which tries to sell them for $5 a piece - can be found brand new at Walmart for the very same price. I presume they are not really selling anything but trading five-for-one (given they only give $1 credit a dvd). I've seen a lot of public domain junk priced $5 there as well that can be had for a buck new and there's a Goodwill store that will try to sell these p.d. titles used for $3 when they can be bought brand new for a buck at Dollar Tree literally walking distance from them.

Of course if I could find used Criterions or other pricey titles cheap (I did once at a library sale) I'm certainly going to grab them.
Old 12-03-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've stated this before, I buy almost everything used, so I get the inserts & avoid those #@$#!! eco cases.

And I have wiped several amarays with alcohol.
Old 12-03-10, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tried to purchase all my discs used, unless I have the desire to support the studio or film (like with My Name Is Bruce or the Rifftrax / MST3K releases), or if it's cheaper than ten. Every time I buy a single film for more than 15 I always regret it later. And every time I buy a used dvd, especially in the 3-8 range, I never regret it.

I tend to avoid the ones that are covered with poop, but that's a skill you have to learn over the course of a few years. :P
Old 12-03-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly, I don't understand this complaint.

Used DVD is one of the few acceptable markets where you can buy other people's fecal matter. I shop used bins specifically looking for quality poop.
Old 12-03-10, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm less picky with cases because they are easily replaced - especially if the movie is a dollar or less. I always clean them thoroughly if required, but most of the used stuff I buy is in great shape. That said, I have come across some grungy looking discs in my day. It boggles the mind how some people can ruin DVDs.

My dad recently bought a box set from a flea market that was taped up so you couldn't check the discs before purchase. We took it out to the car and opened it up. Each disc looked like it was covered in dried Elmer's glue. This was some funky ass grime. I ran back to the checkout desk and asked the clerk for a refund. She looked at one of the discs, hocked a big wad of spit on it and told me she would "clean them" for me. Needless to say, I still opted for the refund. Some people are just nasty.
Originally Posted by 30smovies
The majority of the titles at my local pawn shop - which tries to sell them for $5 a piece - can be found brand new at Walmart for the very same price.
What a rip-off. I guess with pawn shops it depends on the location. The area I frequent has three of them on the same street. I'm sure they try to compete with each other to have the cheapest prices on DVDs. I've bought great stuff like The Wes Craven Horror Collection, Amélie and Paramount's OOP Hellraiser III all for $2 each recently. I don't know who would pawn them for so cheap, but all the discs are mint.

Last edited by joe_b; 12-03-10 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-03-10, 02:06 PM

Since I buy mostly catalogue, special edition, and other obscure titles, I rarely find them avaialble used. By being patient, I can get them new at a good price. I've found that places that deal in used DVDs such as CD Warehouse rarely discount them much below $10 unless they are absolute garbage titles, so I don't buy from them very often.

I see most current releases in the theater so I don't feel a need to buy the same title three months later at current release prices. I do go to Blockbuster occasionally for their 5 for $20 sales and get current titles, usually art or independent films (or those direct to DVD titles I want) or occasionally a film that doesn't have a special edition.

Pawn shops and yard sales are cheap, but people who wind up selling their stuff in this manner often don't take real good care of the disks, so quality is a big issue (the same is true at Blockbuster, but they have a decent exchange policy). In addition, those places usually wind up with the current popular titles which are exactly the ones I really don't want to buy.
Old 12-03-10, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

anything cheap. it doesn't matter used or new as long as it still looks good in my eyes.
Old 12-04-10, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

I am glad all of you think that your used DVDs are clean but remember a case doesn't have to look dirty, to be dirty.
Old 12-04-10, 10:49 AM
Banned

I am glad all of you think that your used DVDs are clean but remember a case doesn't have to look dirty, to be dirty.
I think it's common sense that when you buy something used whether it be at a pawn shop, Blockbuster, or at a garage sale - the first thing you should/have to do is clean/disinfect it!

I scrub every used title I pick up with rubbing alcohol, takes off 99.9% of all germs!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.