DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Prices of used DVD's heading south? RU buying used vs. new? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/497523-prices-used-dvds-heading-south-ru-buying-used-vs-new.html)

kayak99 04-09-07 04:49 PM

Prices of used DVD's heading south? RU buying used vs. new?

Question, are you buying more used now than before?

Been watching the prices of used DVD's over the past few months and see they have reached new low levels. Except for collectors, it seems buying used is far more efficient than even new on sale.

I'm noting great collections going for about $3.00 per copy especially on sites like Craigslist. (I like that 'local' site because one can see the product before buying.)

Comments?

bigjim25 04-09-07 04:55 PM

I'm a cheap bastard so yes I'm buying used when possible or waiting for the DVDs to hit bargain bin. ;)

nothingfails 04-09-07 05:02 PM

I don't trust used at most places unless it's a place that's notorious anal when they buy back

TGM 04-09-07 05:42 PM

used, mostly.

packaok 04-09-07 05:58 PM

Used, unless it is a TV show set (easily damaged packaging) or a title that I absolutely must have immediately on release date. Those are getting fewer and farther between, so I tend to stick with used these days...

Tolhurst 04-09-07 06:00 PM

new, as many things I want I can't find used outside of ebay, which I don't fell comfortable with due to illegitimate copies being sold on there

FangsFirst 04-09-07 06:07 PM

I tend to avoid used as I'm always behind enough (I've got around 170 dvds to watch, including a few tv sets :S) that I'd prefer to be able to return them:
1) as long as possible (eg, within receipt, return upon announcement of superior edition)
2) if they are defective.

Used ones are of course more likely to BE defective, but more to the point, if they don't look good and I've exhausted the span of the receipt before I even get to watching the disc...well, I'm more likely to be able to convince someone at a store to help me out with a new (effectively) copy for a still sealed one.

thursdaynighter 04-09-07 06:08 PM

Used and new. I like Hollywood Video for their prices and lifetime replacement policy. Can't beat that. I just picked up United 93 for $5 from HV today, except for the fact the store clerk alarmingly said "hey, did you know you picked up a widescreen copy???"

Jgh8x 04-09-07 06:20 PM

I think it's really silly to buy most titles new, since they are available used for $5 or less at rental stores in less than a year. The only time I buy new with new releases is when a separate two disc version is available and I'm interested (and this year so far it has only been The Departed.) Sometimes new is a must as used isn't available, for example with Criterions, but I wait until there is some sort of sale on these too. I rarely, if ever, buy anything on release day. The Hollywood Video lifetime guarantee, as described before, is just too good to pass up.

head dvd nut 04-09-07 06:49 PM

Movies: Mostly buy used @ Hollywood Video or Movie Gallery; unless I run across a
good deal in the bargain bins at Wal-Mart or Target.

TV Series: 99.9% of the time I buy new for 2 reasons: 1) they are hard to find used at
the above mentioned stores; and if I do find one, they are selling it by per
disc, not bundled as a set. So, it is not a bargain at all! 2) Easily damaged
packaging during shipping if buying off ebay.

Harold Wazzu 04-09-07 08:12 PM

Buying not so special movies but ones I want to own used and store exclusives new. TV Sets I'm buying used more and more.

JiM T 04-09-07 08:50 PM

I don't know, between Columbia House, and the seeming de-valuing of the DVD market itself (due to loooooow pricing, often imposed by the studios themselves), I've actually been buying more new lately. And I've always loved scouring used places. Used places by me still average around $9 for a used DVD, whereas if you wait it out, and keep an eye out for retailer deals, you can get relatively new DVDs for $7 or lower. Because of that, I've passed up used titles like "Clerks 2" and "Rocky Balboa", each priced at $13.99, because they'll no doubt be on sale for $9.99 or less at Best Buy in the coming months.

Dane Marvin 04-09-07 10:43 PM

I buy mostly new because I'm a collector and have to have things mint (and the most deluxe or special editions of each title on my list). But I do buy the occasional used DVD from DVD-Talkers in the Exchange Forum. Have gotten some good deals and have purchased from many many Gold Traders whom I can trust will always send a great condition DVD to me. As far as buying goes, finally joining Columbia House has helped me build back my collection at about 1/3 of the cost.

I am seeing more and more good deals on SE's at Best Buy lately, so I keep an eye out for those.

docdoowop 04-10-07 04:36 AM

I've been spoiled by Big Lots. I must have 50 new Columbia/Tri-Star titles (all $2.00) I haven't watched yet. TV sets I buy new, but never pay more than $20 is my rule.

vballboy51 04-10-07 07:13 AM

I almost buy used exclusivly now. i'm at the point where more than about 7.50 for a movie makes me angry (ie 3 for 25 is too expensive). i think it is that a) i'm somewhat backlogged (though i've really been working on it) and b) they eventually get so cheap, like people have said, i'll just wait until they come down unless i REALLY need it. I did just buy the shield season 5 last night for 30, which was about 5 bucks more than i wanted to spend on it, but still a pretty nice deal.

bmello 04-10-07 07:23 AM

Used, no doubt!

maxfisher 04-10-07 07:46 AM

Depends. With all but a few 'must have on release date' titles, I wait and pick them up when I can grab them for either under $10 new or under $7 used. Between the Blockbuster 4/$20 and Hollywood's typical 3/$20 or B2G2F, I've been buying more used than new as of late. I did grab about 30 new when all the local CVS's were clearing out their inventory for 75% off.

DirkBelig 04-10-07 01:00 PM

I either get free discs from my reviewing gig or wait until they hit $5 at HWV or BBV. My g/f and I used to jump at 2/$20 or 3/$25, but now we'll just wait and wait until they hit $5 or less. That's how I can afford to have a nearly 1000-title collection.

otmetrud 04-10-07 01:10 PM

I'll buy used for a really really good price at secondspin.com or wherehouse.com, as I've had luck with them. They're used prices most of the time aren't a real bargain compared to new prices at Amazon, DDD, etc. But I'll check them out when they have a sale going on.

I have no problems buying used through Amazon.com listings. I got one bad disc through an Amazon merchant recently, and the merchant was unresponsive to my e-mails. I appealed to Amazon through a form on their Web site, and Amazon within a couple of weeks refunded my money without asking for me to return the product.

I won't buy used anywhere else online but will at a B&M locally.

msdmoney 04-10-07 03:18 PM

New movie prices are so cheap, I buy most movies new. Between Black Friday type sales, and just the random great deals most dvd's can be had new for $5-$7 at some point. At that price, I don't see any reason to get used dvd's. You just have to be patient and wait for the movies to drop in price.

pcdoctor 04-10-07 05:09 PM

Cheap new DVDs and previously viewed.
Cheap, cheap, cheap, BABY!

dvdman102 04-10-07 06:19 PM

I've gotten to the point that I wont pay more than $5 per title-new or used. I love the recent Movie Gallery $1 sales and the Hastings $2.99 DVDs. I have so many DVDs that I havent even watched yet. I think my g/f thinks I'm crazy!!!
BTW, on my recent visits to Movie Gallery, they have been telling me that I dont even need a receipt if I want to bring back a defective used DVD. They said its in the computer and thats all they need. Anyone else heard of this?

pcdoctor 04-10-07 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by dvdman102
I've gotten to the point that I wont pay more than $5 per title-new or used. I love the recent Movie Gallery $1 sales and the Hastings $2.99 DVDs. I have so many DVDs that I havent even watched yet. I think my g/f thinks I'm crazy!!!
BTW, on my recent visits to Movie Gallery, they have been telling me that I dont even need a receipt if I want to bring back a defective used DVD. They said its in the computer and thats all they need. Anyone else heard of this?

I try to keep my receipts.
I hate paying for the $14.99 B2G2 at MG because it's not $5 after the sale.
Some of the movies I don't want to wait long enough for them to be $9.99.
I haven't watched a ton of movies and my Sister thinks I'm crazy.
I say at least I'm not buying/using/selling drugs.
You can watch movies with your friends and family.

Hey DVDman, do you have an Amazon.com visa?
After so many points, you get a $25 gift certificate.
I've gotten a ton of stuff really cheap.
Dream Girls, Over The Hedge, Sex and The City, etc.
I'm just waiting for The Sopranos season 2 to go on sale so I can get it really cheap with the gift certificate.

devilshalo 04-10-07 07:10 PM

New. I don't need to get it on release day unless it's special. And even then, most times, I can hold out until it hits a bargain bin. I think my average price per disc is somewhere around $4, so I'm fine by that.

domino harvey 04-10-07 09:08 PM

Never ever buy used. Not worth the risk and I'm the most anal about disc safety person you're likely to meet: 500+ DVDs, 1000+ CDs and not one single scratch on any of em. It's worth paying a little extra to get and keep it new.