Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

The Official Borders Coupon Thread - Updated Weekly

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A heads-up: Borders is bringing back its 'one day/40%-off one DVD boxset' coupon for this Friday, the 15th; there will be a CD boxset coupon as well. Should be attached to this week's shortlist e-mail...
Old 06-13-07, 11:46 PM

Here's the 40% off link: http://www.bordersmedia.com/coup/couponcddvd_0614.htm
Old 06-14-07, 08:21 AM

anyone got any good deals for this coupon? I was considering one of the Eclipse box sets, but doesn't really seem worth it with the other 20% sales going on.
Old 06-14-07, 08:34 AM

This coupon would be a good opportunity to use any remaining holiday savings you might have in the Rewards account.
Old 06-14-07, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you happen to be a Queen fan, it's not a DVD, but the Crown Jewels box set has a list price at Borders below almost everyone else's SALE price. Quite a deal...
Old 06-14-07, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
A heads-up: Borders is bringing back its 'one day/40%-off one DVD boxset' coupon for this Friday, the 15th; there will be a CD boxset coupon as well. Should be attached to this week's shortlist e-mail...
Back? I haven't been paying close attention to Borders- How often do they put out a 40% off coupon?
Old 06-14-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mnementh
Back? I haven't been paying close attention to Borders- How often do they put out a 40% off coupon?
Very rarely; we did two around the 4th q. holidays previously. Possibly another inbetween, but I don't think so.
Old 06-14-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you reserve a copy of a DVD set online, can you still use the coupon?
Old 06-14-07, 02:03 PM

Doc, the answer is yes.
Old 06-14-07, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
If you reserve a copy of a DVD set online, can you still use the coupon?
Technically, no, but it's going to depend entirely on who you speak with. Corporate has dictated that online and phone reserves are NOT allowed for this coupon because of "limited quantities" -- essentially a first-come-first-served basis.
Old 06-15-07, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold Chasen
Thanks for the coupon!

I might pick up The Pinky Violence Collection tomorrow with it. Then again I just spent $60 on all 3 seasons of Millennium, don't know if I want to burn another $60.
Old 06-15-07, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Thanks for the coupon!

I might pick up The Pinky Violence Collection tomorrow with it. Then again I just spent $60 on all 3 seasons of Millennium, don't know if I want to burn another $60.
I don't know exactly how this coupon will work, but bear in mind that this might only work with selected titles. When you click the coupon, you see the following: "Selection varies by store. Browse now." I'm planning on trying this with a music box set not on their list, but I might get nixed. Kind of silly for them to limit this coupon, but I fear it might work that way. And your Pinky Violence Collection is not on the list.
Old 06-15-07, 07:59 AM

48 bucks for Superman ultimate isn't too bad
Old 06-15-07, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by jeffrey r
I don't know exactly how this coupon will work, but bear in mind that this might only work with selected titles. When you click the coupon, you see the following: "Selection varies by store. Browse now." I'm planning on trying this with a music box set not on their list, but I might get nixed. Kind of silly for them to limit this coupon, but I fear it might work that way. And your Pinky Violence Collection is not on the list.
The coupon is good off the list price on any in stock DVD (or CD) boxset, not just a particular number of selections. That fine print is likely for clarification in case a store doesn't happen to have one of the sets featured in the e-mail.

If you're considering a DVD that you aren't sure is considered a boxset by Borders' computers, ask an employee to look up the BINC in the stores inventory program (NOT the Borders Search that customers have access to) to check if it is listed as a 'DB' (or CB for CD boxsets) which is how boxsets are flagged.

Last edited by Cosmic Bus; 06-15-07 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-15-07, 08:24 AM

To answer my own question, and this might be ymmv based on how the coupon reads, I just used this on a random CD boxset not on their list, and my store took the coupon without batting an eye. So it is definitely worth a shot if they have something you've been looking for. 40% off is a decent deal.

Edit: If Cosmic Bus is right, this should not be ymmv, and should be good to go on any cd or dvd boxset.

Last edited by jeffrey r; 06-15-07 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-15-07, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Thanks for the coupon!

Go for it, the PV box set is well worth it.
Old 06-15-07, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jeffrey r
It isn't limited.
Old 06-15-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
The coupon is good off the list price on any in stock DVD (or CD) boxset, not just a particular number of selections. That fine print is likely for clarification in case a store doesn't happen to have one of the sets featured in the e-mail.

If you're considering a DVD that you aren't sure is considered a boxset by Borders' computers, ask an employee to look up the BINC in the stores inventory program (NOT the Borders Search that customers have access to) to check if it is listed as a 'DB' (or CB for CD boxsets) which is how boxsets are flagged.
I thought it was going to be category based myself--but I called in to work (I'm not going in today!) and had one of my coworkers sell me the new Traveling Wilburys DE over the phone. It's coded "CD" (I think it's bizarre, yeah, but it is)...she didn't have to modify at all, sounded like.

Dunno how they've got it coded; I know it usually IS by cat.
Old 06-15-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Couldn't find anything when I went at lunch.
Old 06-15-07, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by FangsFirst
I thought it was going to be category based myself--but I called in to work (I'm not going in today!) and had one of my coworkers sell me the new Traveling Wilburys DE over the phone.
That's what I bought as well. I used the top coupon, and it went through without a problem.
Old 06-15-07, 12:49 PM
Cool New Member

I went out at lunch and was able to use it on the Criterion Collection edition of Mr. Arkadin.

Even though the coupon says, "One coupon per customer during the valid period", I am going to stop at another Borders store on the way home and try to use another one.
Old 06-15-07, 12:49 PM

I considered getting "Planet Earth - The Complete BBC Series" on 5 DVDs. I checked www dot borders dot com (which is actually amazon) and they listed the standard version (not the HD or Blue Ray) as only $54. So, I was hoping to find it at the B&M store for about $32.40 ( which is $54 minus 40% ).

However, I stopped by a local Borders B&M, and discovered the B&M price is $80. So, the discounted price would be about $48 plus tax. And the coupon is only good at B&M Borders. Customer service confirmed those numbers.

I easily rejected that plan knowing that the Deep Discount 20% sale is even better. The price there would be about $43.20 ( which is $54 minus 20% ). Now, I just need to decide if I really want "Planet Earth" from DD.

I didn't see any other DVD sets that were reasonably priced such that 40% off would make them cheaper than elsewhere. I didn't take detailed notes, but nothing jumped out at me as saying "I am cheaper here with 40% off." Did anyone else notice anything?
Old 06-15-07, 12:53 PM

The BBC america version of Robin Hood 2006 will be a good deal list price of $80 will end up being about $50 after the 40% discount $17 cheaper than amazon and 2 cheaper than best buy. I think its a good deal and will be picking up a set
Old 06-15-07, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why is this 40% off box set sale always such a hassle?! I check inventory on the web. It shows stock and a list price of $24.99. I'm not counting on the inventory, because so far, 100% of the time, if they show it as in stock, they can't find a copy (including once they showed a stock of 10 copies of a paperback for a month and a half, and no employee could find me a copy).

So anyway, I drive to the store and lo and behold they have the DVD in stock, but its priced $39.99!! I know their web page says the price may differ in store, but $40 on a $25 DVD?! I ask the video clerk to check it, she checked it and wrote the correct list price on the sticker. She said to tell the cash register person to call her if there was a problem. She was very nice about it. At the Register, the clerk calls for a manager (which I fully understand). The clerk explains the situation and the manager replies with a suspicious "Really?" So he goes to check the price. When he finds out the sticker price was indeed wrong, he starts being nicer. After they figure out how to ring it up, I am finally allowed to buy it.

At the last 40% off sale the same thing happened. But the manager insisted that the computer was wrong, but she offered to "let" me use the coupon to get a discount off the incorrect higher price. Only after I asked to talk to the district manager did she honor the price in her computer.

I worked in retail for 15 years and I just don't understand blaming the customer for stale price stickers. If your computer is incorrect, your product pricing is out of date and inconsistent with your own computer system, that’s your problem. Don't alienate the customer because your system is breaking down.

I know FangsFirst, not all Borders are like this, and you are proud of the customer service you provide at your store. I wish your store was near me. But I'm cursed with a crappy one. And guess what, when I walk out of that store frustrated, I don't mentally associate my frustration to just that store, but with Borders as a whole... so your whole company loses.

Combine this with getting new paperback titles weeks after they are released and available at B&N... if B&N gets around to creating a free discount card system, its goodbye Borders for me. Actually the gas I burn to drive to Borders would be enough of a discount when I have a B&N right across the street from where I work.

All this for a DVD I could have got AT DDD for about the same price?
Old 06-15-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Smorri
I know FangsFirst, not all Borders are like this, and you are proud of the customer service you provide at your store. I wish your store was near me. But I'm cursed with a crappy one. And guess what, when I walk out of that store frustrated, I don't mentally associate my frustration to just that store, but with Borders as a whole... so your whole company loses.
Hey, I'm not gonna jump on anyone for saying "Man the people at X store suck." I don't know them. I mean, I know a few people around the country, but not many.

I'm still unsure of what the exact situation was for you. Best thing to do is to have the cashier type in the BINC number if there is a price discrepancy and the computer (our system, not the awful, slow-loading red, GUI one) says the lower price, we are supposed (period) to honor that price. Technically we should also be honoring those in the slow-loading monstrosity, but our system is definitive--to the point that if you DO type the binc in, it will correct itself to the price tied to the number, not the one tied to that particular copy.

PS: a bit late in the day, but I always forget this myself:
MB is the CD box set category code. CB is for CD audiobooks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.