Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Pirates of the Caribbean: store exclusives

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-06, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pirates of the Caribbean: store exclusives

Before I head out on Tuesday to pick up Pirates of the Caribbean, I'm wondering what store exclusives are going to happen and which one is going to be the best to pick up. I heard that Best Buy has an extra dvd, and so does Circult City. What is Target and Walmart given away then.
Old 12-03-06, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be getting it at Best Buy for the Jack headknocker. I'll put it right next to my Tommy Boy and Napoleon and Kip Dynamite.
Old 12-03-06, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by DonTHX1378
Before I head out on Tuesday to pick up Pirates of the Caribbean, I'm wondering what store exclusives are going to happen and which one is going to be the best to pick up. I heard that Best Buy has an extra dvd, and so does Circult City. What is Target and Walmart given away then.
While there is no doubt in my mind that some kind DVDTalker will summarize this info here in this thread, YOU can read what is already known by reading my weekly posts.

Here are the links to each:

Best Buy: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=484969

Circuit City: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=484640

Target: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....59#post7463059

I would but am prepping the Circuit City ad for 12/10.
Old 12-03-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Was it true for Blockbuster Exclusive TIN shellcase for the DVD?

While Suncoast (probably with FYE as well) offers a Free MOVIE CELL.
Old 12-03-06, 04:41 PM
Banned

Blockbuster is definitely having a tin, it was posted in the DVDTALK Pirates thread.
Old 12-03-06, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great thread. If you find pics of the exclusives, please post in this thread please. Thanks.
Old 12-04-06, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by xage
While Suncoast (probably with FYE as well) offers a Free MOVIE CELL.
I'll confirm this, however I guess we as a company got a lot less than Disney had planned to send. They are sturdy cardboardish and about 5" x 7" in size with three film frames, the ones at my store were all the same. Johnny running with the crazy face paint.

Should be at Coconuts, fye, etc... My store is a coconuts
Old 12-04-06, 08:13 AM

How big is a film frame? Is there something comparable that I could look at so I could get an idea of what this will look like?
FYE has a $7 rebate which makes the 2-disc $15.50 shipped before tax (with 10% off coupon).

So does this one have one image that is the size of three frames put together?

Thanks.
Old 12-04-06, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by peterm2
How big is a film frame? Is there something comparable that I could look at so I could get an idea of what this will look like?
FYE has a $7 rebate which makes the 2-disc $15.50 shipped before tax (with 10% off coupon).

So does this one have one image that is the size of three frames put together?

Thanks.
Each frame is a about 2 inches a little less prolly, and I think the overall thing is a bit bigger than 5 by 7 as I originally said.

AND

fye, coconuts etc will have a $10 MIR on all versions of this, not just $7 as we originally thought! At least in store that is what is on our rebate report to begin tomorrow.

Last edited by db27; 12-04-06 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-04-06, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by db27
Each frame is a about 2 inches a little less prolly, and I think the overall thing is a bit bigger than 5 by 7 as I originally said.

AND

fye, coconuts etc will have a $10 MIR on all versions of this, not just $7 as we originally thought! At least in store that is what is on our rebate report to begin tomorrow.
Thanks for the response. I wonder if that will be online too, although the $7 rebate is listed as going through mid-December.
Old 12-04-06, 09:05 AM

Best Buy - POTC: DMC Bonus DVD

There is the link for the Best Buy Bonus DVD...40 minutes long plus a photo gallery. I will probably go with the CC offer of the DVD Game.
Old 12-04-06, 04:26 PM

would go to fye's but in my experience they do not honor their rebates requests, they reject the mailings for bogus reasons and figure very few people will take it further than that, anyone else had this same experience??
Old 12-04-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From USA TODAY:

More than one 'X' marks the spot for 'Dead Man's Chest'

By Thomas K. Arnold, Special for USA TODAY
The DVD release Tuesday of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest is shaping up to be one of the biggest DVD events ever, with midnight sales and extra booty for consumers.
The DVD release Tuesday of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest is shaping up to be one of the biggest DVD events ever, with midnight sales and extra booty for consumers.

With box office earnings of more than $423 million in the USA, the Pirates sequel is the biggest movie of the year and the sixth-biggest in history. Worldwide, it took in $1.1 billion.

Though "event" DVDs are typically released before Thanksgiving, Disney waited further into the holiday shopping season to pump 20 million DVDs into the market, prompting retailers to launch a war to snag buyers.

Consumers are being offered various incentives:

•Best Buy is offering a free bonus DVD of exclusive material, which includes a photo gallery of film scenes, a documentary on the franchise's international success and behind-the-scenes footage. Also at Best Buy: a Captain Jack bobble-head for $9.99 that "must be purchased on same receipt," according to the chain's Sunday circular.

•Wal-Mart has free T-shirts for Pirates buyers, as well as the chance to buy an exclusive DVD-CD two-pack with 10 songs. Pirates will go on sale at midnight at all 24-hour Wal-Marts.

•Target is advertising a collectible light-up pin giveaway.

•Circuit City offers the DVD at $13.99, the lowest around, but a limit of three to a customer.

Ralph Tribbey, editor of The DVD Release Report, says Pirates could easily be one of the top five DVD sellers of all time.

"It's one of those rare films that appeals to kids as much as adults," he says. "And the fact that it is the year's top box office success story, and actually one of the biggest theatrical films ever, won't hurt, either."

The biggest video seller ever is Disney's The Lion King, which since its original video release in 1995 has sold more than 30 million DVDs and VHS cassettes.
Old 12-04-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brucehf
would go to fye's but in my experience they do not honor their rebates requests, they reject the mailings for bogus reasons and figure very few people will take it further than that, anyone else had this same experience??
If you're experienced then you know this is not true. FYE can be a PITA but if they dishonor your rebate they give you a toll-free number to call. One call and they straghten it out and send the rebate.
Old 12-04-06, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With everything we've seen recently, the store exclusives are kinda weak, in my opinion, for such as huge hit. Where is the exclusive store packaging? Where is the lenticular cover?
Old 12-04-06, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by needlz
With everything we've seen recently, the store exclusives are kinda weak, in my opinion, for such as huge hit. Where is the exclusive store packaging? Where is the lenticular cover?

I totally agree. A pretty lame marketing move
Old 12-04-06, 09:35 PM

They should have done it like this...

(courtesy of dark_raven from another forum)

Pirates Of The Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest - Pirates Liar Dice Edition (2 Discs) (Play.com Worldwide Exclusive!)

Old 12-04-06, 10:13 PM

I was holding out for the free bottle of dirt that CC was supposed to have as a bonus!

Old 12-05-06, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kayak99
If you're experienced then you know this is not true. FYE can be a PITA but if they dishonor your rebate they give you a toll-free number to call. One call and they straghten it out and send the rebate.
I agree. Anytime I've ever had an issue, all it takes is a phone call and they always fix it so that I get the rebate.
Old 12-05-06, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by xage
Was it true for Blockbuster Exclusive TIN shellcase for the DVD?
Yes, but I don't think it's worth it. I made a quick stop at BBV during lunch to check out the tin. Not having them shrinkwrapped is a problem as all of the tins had scratches on them (front and back; some heavier than others). I don't know about other locations, but the one I went to had only single-disc copies for purchase and they were asking $21.99 (in comparison, Circuit City is selling the same for $13.99 this week). I didn't think the extra $ was justifiable for the tin, so I went to Best Buy instead for the 2-disc set & bonus disc.
Old 12-05-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Doctor Gonzo
From USA TODAY:
•Wal-Mart has free T-shirts for Pirates buyers, as well as the chance to buy an exclusive DVD-CD two-pack with 10 songs. Pirates will go on sale at midnight at all 24-hour Wal-Marts.
Thanks for this. I wouldn't have known otherwise, since they were hidden behind the register. One WM only have large shirts, so I tried another one. They had all sizes there... It was 13.99 at my WM, with a free shirt. That's a deal, IMHO!
Old 12-05-06, 02:49 PM
Banned

Went with the tin, and got the 2-disc at Wal-Mart. Blockbuster only had single disc version, but they don't ring up the tin, so I'm just going to take back the Pirates I got at Blockbuster.
Old 12-05-06, 03:23 PM

Can't decide which exclusive to get. Gonna leave to pick 1 up in 7 min. Which 1?
Old 12-05-06, 05:23 PM
Cool New Member

I agree with PrivatePixel I went to BBV and all the Tins had major scratches and dents I asked if they had any more in the back and they ended up having a brand new one up front by the register. I ended up deciding to gift this single disc edition as a Christmas gift. I went to BestBuy and got teh 2Disc and Capt. Jack Headknocker and they had no bonus disc as they had not been located good thing I know the manager said he would save me one. I also went to Circuit City and I bought Beerfest and I kindly asked the Cashier if I could see the Pirates bonus disc as they were behind the register and she said just go ahead and keep it .

** Does anyone have a picture of the Target Pin and Walmart Shirt?
Old 12-05-06, 06:30 PM

Today I go into Best Buy and price match the movie with a CC ad. Right before I paid, this supervisor lady walks by and seen me holding the CC ad, then she grabs my bonus disc away from me and says: "price matchers do not get the bonus disc", and I'm thinking YOU BITCH!, Hoever the cashier was nice and offered me up a walmart price match on Miami Vice with out even having an ad or asking for it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.