Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - September '06

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - September '06

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-06, 12:55 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, rereleases happen. As for FLCL, it was kind of obvious with SynchPoint that this is their bread and butter. Rather than lower the price significantly, touch it up a little, toss in 5.1, and throw in extras!
Old 09-03-06, 03:39 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 536 Likes on 472 Posts
Circuit City: Sept. 10th to Sept. 16th (curtesy of speedy1961)

- Dragon Ball Z: Wrath Of The Dragon: $10.99
- Full Metal Alchemist - The Movie: Conqueror Of Shambala: $14.99
**FYI, FMA - The Movie (LE) is not getting released until Nov. 11th!**
Old 09-03-06, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Updated.
Old 09-03-06, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FWIW and an FYI, I added about 30 titles to my Best Buy wish list, including just about every ADV thinpak. I checked the prices at the kiosk today and all prices are still the same as posted in the tables. I'm going to keep checking whenever I stop by BB and I'll post if any of the titles drop down in price.
Old 09-03-06, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
FWIW and an FYI, I added about 30 titles to my Best Buy wish list, including just about every ADV thinpak. I checked the prices at the kiosk today and all prices are still the same as posted in the tables. I'm going to keep checking whenever I stop by BB and I'll post if any of the titles drop down in price.
Schweet!
Old 09-04-06, 01:59 AM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts
I'm looking for some recommendations. Lately I've been into the harem genre (comedies with one guy, lots of girls and a bunch of fanservice). I loved Hand Maid May. I'm halfway through Happy Lesson and that's pretty good. I have Love Hina, but haven't watched it yet. Can anyone recommend some other good harem series that are available (or coming soon) in lower priced sets ($20-$50). Thanks.
Old 09-04-06, 02:37 AM
Cool New Member

Girls Bravo is supposedly the best new harem, but that's undoubtedly a far ways away from a cheap collection. Mahoromatic is a maid harem and is $40 if you snag it from www.rightstuf.com before they run out (or before next Thursday should they take the sale down). It's probably one of the better ones as well.
Old 09-04-06, 03:29 AM

Well Love Hina is the king or would it be queen of harem anime. So go watch that right now. Also i just got done watching Gravion and Gravion Zwei (second season). Its a giant robot anime with lots of harem and fanservice. But Zwei has more fanservice than the 1st season. Both series are in the bargain bid at RightStuf.

Oh and theres the Tench Muyo series. The real first harem to come to america i would say.
Old 09-04-06, 04:40 AM

Chobits can be had for quite cheaply these days and has quite a bit of fan service. Sister princess is a bit on the weird side for a westerner but can also be had for cheap. The price on the mahoromatic dvds is a steal for the original releases so it's a good starting point.

Also try out Maburaho if you can find it cheaply. As for the final option I would highly suggest Ai Yori Aoshi if you can find the single dvds for a decent price.
Old 09-04-06, 09:04 AM
Defunct Account

Not sure about the prices, but the original Tenchi Muyo series is what got me hooked on harem shows, and is still the best IMO. Love, Hina is also very good, so make sure you put it on the top of your "to watch" pile.

I didn't really like Gravion and Gravion Zwei very much, and neither did Don when he reviewed the thinpak collection. You can read our opinions here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/list....chText=gravion

Other than that, I agree with the other suggestions.
Old 09-04-06, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I'm looking for some recommendations. Lately I've been into the harem genre (comedies with one guy, lots of girls and a bunch of fanservice). I loved Hand Maid May. I'm halfway through Happy Lesson and that's pretty good. I have Love Hina, but haven't watched it yet. Can anyone recommend some other good harem series that are available (or coming soon) in lower priced sets ($20-$50). Thanks.
Golden boy, Midori Days, Oh! My Goddess OVA, Please Teacher!, Please Twins, Ranma 1/2 OVA, Saber Marionette J, and Steel Angel Kurumi.
Old 09-04-06, 03:51 PM

So, I go and check out the ADVfilms.com sale again (maybe they added something?), and they raised their prices (significantly) MIDSALE. They sure are funny!

Edit: Well, they raised almost everything. They do have Happy Lesson (Thinpack) for $16... I don't recall that being there before.

Last edited by Ndolger; 09-04-06 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-04-06, 04:07 PM
Cool New Member

I can't say if it is or will be available cheaply, but DearS was pretty good IMHO; UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie was only okay—add half a star if you are interested in the workings of a public bath house.
Old 09-04-06, 07:08 PM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll do Love Hina after I finish Happy Lesson. I've also got the big box of Saber Marionette J, and I'll give that a spin in the future.

I'm planning on picking up Mahoromatic this week. I'm also thinking about getting Sister Princess and Please Teacher. And I'll keep an eye out for a good price on the Chobits set. I'll get Maburaho, DearS and Girls Bravo when they're repackaged in cheap sets.

I'm kinda confused by all the Tenchi series. I see that Tenchi Universe Box Set is on sale at RightStuf. Is that a good place to start?
Old 09-04-06, 08:02 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll do Love Hina after I finish Happy Lesson. I've also got the big box of Saber Marionette J, and I'll give that a spin in the future.

I'm planning on picking up Mahoromatic this week. I'm also thinking about getting Sister Princess and Please Teacher. And I'll keep an eye out for a good price on the Chobits set. I'll get Maburaho, DearS and Girls Bravo when they're repackaged in cheap sets.

I'm kinda confused by all the Tenchi series. I see that Tenchi Universe Box Set is on sale at RightStuf. Is that a good place to start?
Well the first series is Tenchi Muyo then theres tenchi Universe which is a remake/retelling of the first series. And the 3rd series is Tenchi in Tokyo which is another retelling. So all 3 series have nothing to do with each other. Then theres the 3 movies which go with the first series. Ands theres Tench GXP with takes place in the 1st series but its not about tenchi but his nephew. Then theres a new series that out now that also takes place in the 1st series Which is called Tenchi Muyo Ryoko. So yeah its all confusing. Oh and theres the Mihoshi Special / Magical Girl Pretty Sammy OVA And 2 Magical Project S dvds. Heres a list:

Tenchi Muyo
3 movies
Tenchi GXP
Tenchi Muyo Ryoko

Tenchi Universe

Tenchi in Tokyo

Mihoshi Special / Magical Girl Pretty Sammy OVA
Magical Project S se1
Magical Project S set2 (im not sure if these fit into any of ther other series)

Last edited by ShinMusashi44; 09-04-06 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-04-06, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You'll want to start with the Tenchi Muyo! OVA(the first and best of the Tenchi saga). Chobits is a great show with fan service, but I wouldn't call it a harem show. DDD has the thinpak for $66.54, so it should be around $53 during their next sale. Geneon is releasing a Girls Bravo box set on November 28. The list price is $120, so I'd imagine that DDD will price it at around $80($64 during the sale). Geneon will most likely release a thinpak version for an even cheaper price later on down the road.

I'm currently watching Happy Lesson also(thank you Overstock) and I'm going to get the Mahoromatic bundle as well.
Old 09-05-06, 12:43 AM
WTK

You'll want to start with the Tenchi Muyo! OVA(the first and best of the Tenchi saga). Chobits is a great show with fan service, but I wouldn't call it a harem show. DDD has the thinpak for $66.54, so it should be around $53 during their next sale. Geneon is releasing a Girls Bravo box set on November 28. The list price is $120, so I'd imagine that DDD will price it at around $80($64 during the sale). Geneon will most likely release a thinpak version for an even cheaper price later on down the road.

I'm currently watching Happy Lesson also(thank you Overstock) and I'm going to get the Mahoromatic bundle as well.
I also got Happy Lesson thinpak from Overstock as well curtesy of that awesome $20 off coupon!

The Girls Bravo boxset is currently not listed on DDD. They have been very slow in adding upcoming releases to their site. And some of these titles are under alternate names or even worse mis-spelled!
Old 09-05-06, 01:09 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by ShinMusashi44
Well the first series is Tenchi Muyo then theres tenchi Universe which is a remake/retelling of the first series. And the 3rd series is Tenchi in Tokyo which is another retelling. So all 3 series have nothing to do with each other. Then theres the 3 movies which go with the first series. Ands theres Tench GXP with takes place in the 1st series but its not about tenchi but his nephew. Then theres a new series that out now that also takes place in the 1st series Which is called Tenchi Muyo Ryoko. So yeah its all confusing. Oh and theres the Mihoshi Special / Magical Girl Pretty Sammy OVA And 2 Magical Project S dvds. Heres a list:

Tenchi Muyo
3 movies
Tenchi GXP
Tenchi Muyo Ryoko

Tenchi Universe

Tenchi in Tokyo

Mihoshi Special / Magical Girl Pretty Sammy OVA
Magical Project S se1
Magical Project S set2 (im not sure if these fit into any of ther other series)
A bit more can be found at the Anime News Network Encyclopedia entry for Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki. Note that for the purposes of the North American release, TM! Ryo-ohki, the TM! The Night Before The Carnival OAV, TM! Ryo-ohki 2, and the TM! Mihoshi Special are combined (which makes sense). See AnimeMania for all of the R1 Tenchi releases.
Old 09-05-06, 11:14 AM
WTK

POST #3 IS UPDATED!

The Upcoming Releases of Interests Table is now updated!

- Elfen Lied DVD Collection (Hyb) (Thinpak) is available for pre-order @ Right Stuf for $37.49!

- Samurai X Complete DVD Collection (Hyb) is getting re-released again for a hefty price!

- FYI, DDD has recently listed quite a few upcoming Bandai complete collections for Oct. & Nov. It also includes some Anime Legends collections as well! It may be worth your while to know what series are available for the next DDD 20% off sale!
Old 09-05-06, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WTK
Another series that I paid more than double by buying the singles. This will be a great pick up during the next DDD sale. DDD will most likely have this thinpak for $30, so you should be able to get it for $24 during the next sale(a total steal for such a great anime).
Old 09-05-06, 11:41 AM
WTK

Another series that I paid more than double by buying the singles. This will be a great pick up during the next DDD sale. DDD will most likely have this thinpak for $30, so you should be able to get it for $24 during the next sale(a total steal for such a great anime).
I spent around $60 for the single volumes, but I don't regret it. It's such a great anime series! Anything around $24 to $30 will be an absolute steal for this anime series.
Old 09-05-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rightstuf has an insane deal on Cardcaptor Sakura with a DVD Mega Bundle again. The best anime I ever seen, glad to have gotton in on this deal.
Old 09-05-06, 02:00 PM
WTK

Turner Classic Movies will show Grave of the Fireflies on November 12th at 10PM EST.
Old 09-05-06, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by WTK
Turner Classic Movies will show Grave of the Fireflies on November 12th at 10PM EST.
Perhaps this should go under the FREE STUFF section.

I wouldn't say GOTF is one of my FAVORITE movies just because it's one of those I don't think you can watch more than once or twice in a lifetime, but I do think it's one of the best movies ever made, animated or otherwise. Gosh, just thinking about it practically makes my eyes water, though. I watched it a few years ago again after the first time I had seen it, and I didn't think it would affect me as much as it did the first time, but I think it just affected me more. I do highly recommend it if you've never seen it, but it can be tough to stomach.

Thanks for the info!

Also, as far as Elfen Lied being re-released, well, I think it's a no-brainer (at least these days) not to buy ADV series (especially the more recent and popular ones) unless you're concerned about extras or have a particular distaste for thinpacks, because most likely, they're going to get that treatment. I just can't afford to buy anime as it comes out anymore unless it's one of my favorite series or something and doesn't really get re-released in a cheaper set. I can't even count how many series I have the first few volumes of, and then nothing. It bums me out!
Old 09-06-06, 12:41 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by justbarelymovin
I wouldn't say GOTF is one of my FAVORITE movies just because it's one of those I don't think you can watch more than once or twice in a lifetime, but I do think it's one of the best movies ever made, animated or otherwise. Gosh, just thinking about it practically makes my eyes water, though. I watched it a few years ago again after the first time I had seen it, and I didn't think it would affect me as much as it did the first time, but I think it just affected me more. I do highly recommend it if you've never seen it, but it can be tough to stomach.
Grave of the Fireflies is one of my favorite movie as well. Anyone who has not seen this movie, should see it. As JBM mentioned, certain scenes can be hard to stomach. There is also a Grave of the Fireflies live-action TV movie (2005, 2-1/2 hours) that aired in Japan. The movie was made for TV to commemorate 60th anniversary of end of World War II. The TV movie plot almost followed exactly like the anime. However the the storyline revolves around the aunt instead! It's an interesting movie that most likely won't make it here in the U.S.

And who anyone likes Grave of the Fireflies should also try Barefoot Gen. Geneon released it in August. It contains the 1st and the 2nd movie. Barefoot Gen is a classic anime movie and I'm glad to see it re-released. However the first movie can be even harder to stomach than Grave of the Fireflies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.