Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Gamestop Buy 2G1F Sale Still Going On

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Gamestop Buy 2G1F Sale Still Going On

Old 04-12-06, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My credit cards are signed with "Ask For ID" and I always hand over my card and my license. My local EB at one point tried to deny my purchase because the signature on the card did not match my name. I fought with the guy for 15 minutes about it. He didn't give in. His district manager made him apologize to me and I got 10% off.
Old 04-12-06, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
My credit cards are signed with "Ask For ID" and I always hand over my card and my license. My local EB at one point tried to deny my purchase because the signature on the card did not match my name. I fought with the guy for 15 minutes about it. He didn't give in. His district manager made him apologize to me and I got 10% off.
You are not supposed to write "See ID" and merchants are not supposed to accept credit cards signed with "See ID." This is a violation of the merchant agreement.
Old 04-12-06, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just sign the receipt "SEE ID" and everything should be okay.

I sign my name and also write SEE ID in small text in the corner, just to be safe.
Old 04-12-06, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Just sign the receipt "SEE ID" and everything should be okay.
That one took me a second...
Old 05-05-06, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any news on when the B2G1 sale is coming back?
Old 05-05-06, 06:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DrPrimo
They can ask, but they cannot require it. The point of credit cards is that they are supposed to be easier to use then writing a check. Part of what is supposed to make them easier is not having to show your ID.

If you are using a MC, you can report them HERE.
Well, to be fair, anyone who has a problem with showing their ID when using a credit card is a fucking moron. It's obviously a system in place to protect both the store and the customer.
Old 05-05-06, 06:57 PM

Recently I asked a manager if they were going to have another sale soon. All he could say was maybe around Memorial Day weekend but don't expect to see them quite as often. Well see, though as there stock piles up.
Old 05-05-06, 07:45 PM
JMG

fyi they just marked down and added to the 3 for $10 bin.

The Chronicles of Riddick
The Day After Tomorrow
collateral
elf
coach carter
Constantine
dodgeball
kings ransom
cheaper by the dozen
butterfly effect
the bourne identity

last 2 days i have been loading up

hurry before its all gone.
Old 05-05-06, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mambomike
Recently I asked a manager if they were going to have another sale soon. All he could say was maybe around Memorial Day weekend but don't expect to see them quite as often. Well see, though as there stock piles up.
I've been checking with my local stores, and no one knows for sure either... and these people will tell me as soon as they know, because they're friends and/or managers that know I'll make their numbers skyrocket when the next sale hits (it's the only time I buy from GS)

But yeah, I'd say that now that the two chains are merged, don't look for many sales. They were done so often in the past because of competition, and then to lessen the stock to make way for the stores that would eventually be closing. Now some of the stores in my area are actually having to ship excess stock out to other stores instead.
Old 05-05-06, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't imagine they move much DVD stock without the B2G1 sale. Atleast from the selection I've seen at stores I've visited, there really is nothing worth buying without it with the vast majority of titles being mainstream selections that one can expect to drop to even the sale prices or below within a matter of months.
Old 05-05-06, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by abintra
I can't imagine they move much DVD stock without the B2G1 sale. Atleast from the selection I've seen at stores I've visited, there really is nothing worth buying without it with the vast majority of titles being mainstream selections that one can expect to drop to even the sale prices or below within a matter of months.
Well, shoppers like us are the exception and not the rule. If the general shopping public had the shopping knowledge that we do, places like FYE would be out of business.
Old 05-05-06, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by abintra
GameStop's completely haphazard pricing system often makes for great deals even without B2G1. I've found multiple Criterions and many, many foreign and niche titles marked at $5.99 or $9.99. Also the occasional $100-MSRP box set priced at $9.99 or $19.99. Just depends on what you're into, the availability at your local stores, and the luck of the draw. Sounds like your stores aren't great, but overall their pricing system is the big draw for me.
Old 05-05-06, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Right on. Even without the sale, there's some good stuff to be found.

I snapped up the extended edition of Sin City with comic for $9.99 a couple days ago.
Old 05-06-06, 01:37 AM
Banned

Sale was going on at a local GameStop today, which was odd, because the other 3 weren't participating. Slim pickin's though, had ROOTS for $50, but not much else that I would be interested in.
Old 05-06-06, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I swung by two local Gamestops yesterday and neither had the sale. I did see the new titles mentioned above in the 3 for $10 bin and picked some up.
Old 05-06-06, 01:01 PM

No sale at Gamestop in NYC today. Though I did find the OOP Disney Beauty and the Beast Platinum, so I picked that up anyway. But without the sale, most of the used discs weren't worth it.
Old 05-06-06, 01:03 PM
Banned

Found the OOP G.I. Joe movie at EB Games, which usually has garbage. Kinda nice.
Old 05-06-06, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was near one today, so I dropped in and saw some nice TV sets I'd get in an instant were the sale going. Instead, I just got the OOP Sleeping Beauty. Not bad at all. Although I did feel a bit odd taking that up to the counter.
Old 05-06-06, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
I was near one today, so I dropped in and saw some nice TV sets I'd get in an instant were the sale going. Instead, I just got the OOP Sleeping Beauty. Not bad at all. Although I did feel a bit odd taking that up to the counter.
That's what cell phones are for: "Okay, honey, I'll get you the DVD you wanted. What? Sorry, I'm losing you."
Old 05-06-06, 03:22 PM
Banned

I can do you one better...or should I say worse...

..and not once, but twice.

However, after having made $100 profit off of the two copies, embarassment took a backseat to profit.

Last edited by Cinemaddiction; 05-06-06 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-06-06, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
Instead, I just got the OOP Sleeping Beauty. Not bad at all. Although I did feel a bit odd taking that up to the counter.
Hey, if people are clueless enough to trade in OOP Disney DVD's like Sleeping Beauty and Beauty and the Beast, I have no problem buying them. I have my big Disney collection mostly for my kid, and the major 2 I was missing was Sleeping Beauty and Beauty and the Beast. Found the former at Blockbuster recently, and the latter at Gamestop today.
Old 05-06-06, 05:13 PM

how much of it is people being stupid as compared to the items having a bit of heat to them when they are traded in? You have to wonder sometimes when you see some foreign criterion sitting there (ive picked up kwaidan and ratcatcher at a wherehouse used sale before). If someone is into dvd that much to pick up titles like that, they know what they paid, are they really going to take a $5 credit for said flick.

Ive walked in before and see the entire sopranos sets in pristine condition sitting together in the racks. Who in their right minds would pay all that money for hbo sets to trade them into gamestop?
Old 05-06-06, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by smackattack
how much of it is people being stupid as compared to the items having a bit of heat to them when they are traded in?
Yes, alot of the DVDs are hot but sometimes people need money and don't have time to sell them on ebay or look for a better place to dump them. Especially right now with gas prices, check your local pawn shops. Tons of stuff has been popping up lately.
Old 05-06-06, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking with people at the used CD store that also sells used DVDs they are convinced that 90% of the high dollar items people trade in are stolen merchandise. Apparently they will steal a ton of stuff at one time from Best Buy or wherever and go around and sell it used at various stores for drug money. Not sure if this happens much at game stores, but I think things like this explain the Sopranos and Criterions you run across from time to time.
Old 05-07-06, 01:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by smackattack
how much of it is people being stupid as compared to the items having a bit of heat to them when they are traded in? You have to wonder sometimes when you see some foreign criterion sitting there (ive picked up kwaidan and ratcatcher at a wherehouse used sale before). If someone is into dvd that much to pick up titles like that, they know what they paid, are they really going to take a $5 credit for said flick.

Ive walked in before and see the entire sopranos sets in pristine condition sitting together in the racks. Who in their right minds would pay all that money for hbo sets to trade them into gamestop?
Some people just don't know about DVD, aside from the names of the movies they own. Then there are people like us that pull a Martha Stewart, and drop old versions of discs to stores such as this when we know of a pending new edition.

I often think back to the day when I went out and came across 6 Criterions at one store, 1/2 of which were OOP, and all in the $5.99 bin, DURING the B2G1 FREE sale. Came out with "Flesh for Frankenstein", "Blood for Dracula", "The Lady Vanishes", "Haxon", 2 others, as well as the OOP "47 1/2 Ronin Parts 1 & 2" DVD, which was free, might I add, and most likely dropped off by the same guy.

Then there's the gas crunch, people trading in stuff for games, the aforementioned "lifters", and people who just sell stuff for other movies or whatever. I tend to believe, in regards to new stuff, there are some trade-in's that are results of blind buys. So, it happens anywhere "used" stuff is sold, I've learned in my travels.

That said, take the pawn shop advice. I frequent them all the time, and almsot always score something worthwhile. It's a quick and easy way to fill a collection, find stuff to resell to fund your own big purchases, or help others out in some way. Hell, I went to one pawn shop today and got the new 4 disc Jackass Box Set, and the 2 disc editions of "Se7en", "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", and "One Missed Call" all for $30 combined. Followed that up with a $9 EB Games purchase of the "G.I. Joe: The Movie" DVD.

What did I do when I got home? Sold off Grail, Se7en, and Joe for a combined $45, and I end up with a Jackass set, "One Missed Call" 2 discer, and still come out ahead $5.