Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, 2-Disc for $21.99... Can't pre-order?

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, 2-Disc for $21.99... Can't pre-order?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-06, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Movieman. I cancelled my Amazon pre-order, and then pre-ordered it again with the new lower price. I save so much money thanks to all of you who post bargains on these boards.
Old 03-02-06, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by bookcase3
Thanks, Movieman. I cancelled my Amazon pre-order, and then pre-ordered it again with the new lower price. I save so much money thanks to all of you who post bargains on these boards.
just a heads up, i also had pre-ordered Harry potter (and the chronicles of narnia 2 disc) and saw that the prices had dropped. I emailed their customer service and they credited me back the difference.
Old 03-02-06, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

With an upcoming High Definition release of Harry Potter 4 later this year, does High Definition here mean HD-DVD or Blu-Ray DVD? If so then my understanding is that people with HDTVs have to buy an expensive new DVD player to play these.

This leaves the following questions:
1. How much will HD or Blu-Ray DVD players cost? Probably hundreds at first which will make my expensive HDMI upconverting player look cheap.
2. How much will Harry Potter 4 cost on HD or Blu-Ray DVD? Probably initially at least $20 for the novelty of High Definition and will they offer the 2nd extras disc in that price?

Unfortunately I don't have the answers to these questions so I can't make an informed decision. As my usual fallback answer, as long as I have Suncoast gift cards I'm trying to use up before they go under completely, I'll pay the $22.99 for the 2-DVD edition. I can't afford to re-re-rebuy everything every few years, and I think DVD looks pretty good. Once HD is out and I have a HD player, then my new releases will be HD, but I'm not going to be upgrading my old DVDs to HD until the upgrades are sub-$10 and that will take several years (if it happens at all).

In fact, I'm not sure if the reason DVDs are dropping in price so fast is because HD is down the road or if that is just the new market dynamics which HD DVDs will also follow.
Old 03-02-06, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana
1. How much will HD or Blu-Ray DVD players cost? Probably hundreds at first which will make my expensive HDMI upconverting player look cheap.
The pre-order price for the first Toshiba HD-DVD player on Bestbuy.com is $499. It was on sale for $420 or so a month ago.

BestBuy.com Toshiba HD-DVD Player HD-A1

Considering I paid $1000 for my first DVD player from Sony, 9 years ago ... this is a deal.
... and if Sony gets Playstation 3 on the market with Blu-ray this Fall, probably in the $400 range, many gamers on the planet will have a Blu-ray player (including me).
Old 03-02-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is an "HD Talk" forum that answers most of your questions:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55
With an upcoming High Definition release of Harry Potter 4 later this year, does High Definition here mean HD-DVD or Blu-Ray DVD?
I believe that the Variety article mentioned above was referring to HD-DVD. However, Warner has said it will support both the HD-DVD and Blu-ray formats.
If so then my understanding is that people with HDTVs have to buy an expensive new DVD player to play these.
That is correct. However, with the format war one either has to buy both kinds of player, gamble on one or the other, or wait until the war is over and one side wins (perhaps both will lose and not be accepted before the "next big thing" takes over).
The first HD-DVD player is due out in less than four weeks at $500. Blu-ray players are due out in May and are currently expected to cost more. But the Playstation 3, due out this fall (maybe) is expected to have a Blu-ray player in it. No one yet knows what the price will be.
2. How much will Harry Potter 4 cost on HD or Blu-Ray DVD? Probably initially at least $20 for the novelty of High Definition and will they offer the 2nd extras disc in that price?
Current HD-DVD pre-order prices are $25.48 at walmart.com. The Harry Potter movie is not yet listed. Amazon has at least one HD-DVD pre-order listed at $22.49, but most aren't priced yet.

It is not yet known whether the "extras" will be ported over to HD-DVD, but it seems likely since the studios will want to entice people to adopt the "premium" format.
Unfortunately I don't have the answers to these questions so I can't make an informed decision. As my usual fallback answer, as long as I have Suncoast gift cards I'm trying to use up before they go under completely, I'll pay the $22.99 for the 2-DVD edition. I can't afford to re-re-rebuy everything every few years, and I think DVD looks pretty good. Once HD is out and I have a HD player, then my new releases will be HD, but I'm not going to be upgrading my old DVDs to HD until the upgrades are sub-$10 and that will take several years (if it happens at all).

In fact, I'm not sure if the reason DVDs are dropping in price so fast is because HD is down the road or if that is just the new market dynamics which HD DVDs will also follow.
For a few titles, such as Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, I plan to wait and see how the HD format war goes. I'd rather start buying movies like that on one of the HD formats. So, I am trying to resist buying the regular DVD for now (even though I can get the two disc for ~$8 from Columbia House) .

Last edited by lizard; 03-02-06 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-02-06, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Well, they have dropped it once more... it's now $19.96
Old 03-02-06, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
Dammit I want that dime back!

Old 03-02-06, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Dammit I want that dime back!

lol, 10 cents is 10 cents...
Old 03-02-06, 10:08 PM

So I've looked around at all the topics.. Is Amazon still the best deal for the deluxe edition? A topic like the Lady & the Tramp one would be nice...
Old 03-02-06, 10:29 PM

What about In-Store Prices? Any deals going on anyone know of? Target? Wal-Mart? Etc...

Anyone else have access on Military Bases? The Base Exchanges (BX) have no tax and they price match, but lately I haven't been seeing any Special Edition versions of any film, only the one disc versions - Example: Walk the Line.
Old 03-03-06, 09:40 AM

Thanks everyone for the info about upcoming HD and BluRay DVDs. I'm rarely an early adopter, so I'd likely wait until the format war is resolved or you can buy HD/BluRay combo players for under $200. That'll likely take a couple years, so I'll have to buy anything I really want to own on regular DVD. My other reluctance on HD DVD formats is the denser the data becomes, obviously the smaller the data bits and the more susceptible to manufacturing defects and possibly degradation. For anyone who knows about the quality of Universal's DVD-18 or early Warner DVD-9s (releases like Contact and Devil's Advocate, so I heard), I expect such manufacturing problems to be worse (for a while at least) with the higher density discs. It took some studios a couple years to go from DVD-5 to DVD-9 because of manufacturing issues. Will they be able to produce stable HD discs this soon? I hope so, but history says the early adopters may experience some growing pain problems. You can only make the data bits so small before a piece of dust becomes a mountain in the middle of the data requiring fancy interleaving and error correction to compensate for normal conditions.

Originally Posted by lizard
For a few titles, such as Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, I plan to wait and see how the HD format war goes. I'd rather start buying movies like that on one of the HD formats. So, I am trying to resist buying the regular DVD for now (even though I can get the two disc for ~$8 from Columbia House) .
Can you get HP 4 two disc for ~$8 at CH right now or do you mean in a few months when it is available as an enrollment if you rejoin? I don't know of any B1G1F or free shipping offers at the moment (which would bring the price down to about $11.50 if you split it with another DVD). So if you know a way to get any new release at CH (including a $22.95 one) for around $8 at any time, please let me know me your secret. :-)
Old 03-03-06, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW, for prices around the web and in stores for HP4, I combined them all in one thread:

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457748
Old 03-03-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks everyone for the info about upcoming HD and BluRay DVDs. I'm rarely an early adopter, so I'd likely wait until the format war is resolved or you can buy HD/BluRay combo players for under $200. That'll likely take a couple years, so I'll have to buy anything I really want to own on regular DVD. My other reluctance on HD DVD formats is the denser the data becomes, obviously the smaller the data bits and the more susceptible to manufacturing defects and possibly degradation. For anyone who knows about the quality of Universal's DVD-18 or early Warner DVD-9s (releases like Contact and Devil's Advocate, so I heard), I expect such manufacturing problems to be worse (for a while at least) with the higher density discs. It took some studios a couple years to go from DVD-5 to DVD-9 because of manufacturing issues. Will they be able to produce stable HD discs this soon? I hope so, but history says the early adopters may experience some growing pain problems. You can only make the data bits so small before a piece of dust becomes a mountain in the middle of the data requiring fancy interleaving and error correction to compensate for normal conditions.
I entirely agree, I am concerned about these issues as well. I hope that reviewers will address them as the formats are released.
Can you get HP 4 two disc for ~$8 at CH right now or do you mean in a few months when it is available as an enrollment if you rejoin? I don't know of any B1G1F or free shipping offers at the moment (which would bring the price down to about $11.50 if you split it with another DVD). So if you know a way to get any new release at CH (including a $22.95 one) for around $8 at any time, please let me know me your secret. :-)
Harry Potter 4 two disc can be pre-ordered from Columbia House for $22.95. Using it as a fulfillment along with current BOGOF deals, that works out to a relative cost of $7.39:
(Average cost of a typical DVD using current CH offers: $4.34)
Enrollment: 6 x 49¢ + 9.95 = $12.89 (7 DVDs)
Fulfillment: 19.95 + (free DVD) + $22.95 (HP4) + (free DVD) - $5 (web discount) + (free shipping) = $37.90 (three DVDs plus Harry Potter 4 two disc)
Total: $12.89 + $37.90 = $50.79 (10 DVDs plus Harry Potter 4 two disc)
Relative cost of Harry Potter 4 two disc: $50.79 - (10 x $4.34) = $50.79 - $43.40 = $7.39

As with all of the best Columbia House deals, it is only available at this cost as part of a package of between eight to eleven DVDs, depending on the enrollment code used. Otherwise, on an already fulfilled account, you could get two for $22.95, or $11.50 each, as you said. Less hassle, higher cost.

[For more information about Columbia House, please check out the DVD Clubs Forum.]

Last edited by lizard; 03-03-06 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-04-06, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by lizard
Harry Potter 4 two disc can be pre-ordered from Columbia House for $22.95. Using it as a fulfillment along with current BOGOF deals, that works out to a relative cost of $7.39:

As with all of the best Columbia House deals, it is only available at this cost as part of a package of between eight to eleven DVDs, depending on the enrollment code used. Otherwise, on an already fulfilled account, you could get two for $22.95, or $11.50 each, as you said. Less hassle, higher cost.
Thanks for the explanation. I've done such CH deals in the past, but not for a couple years. So, as I thought, it's not possible to get HP 4 for $7.39 at CH without combining it with a lot of other special deals which require you to have 8+ DVDs you also want to buy (and that CH carries). Since I almost never have that many DVDs I want to buy at once and at the moment I don't have any B1G1F or free shipping deals on my account, I'll probably cave in and pay the $22.99 because I have a Suncoast gift card. As soon as my gift card is gone though, my old limit of $15 for any new release will be back in force which would mean I'd have to pass on the 2-DVD edition for now.