Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

New $19.97 TV Box sets at Wal Mart... (YMMV)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

New $19.97 TV Box sets at Wal Mart... (YMMV)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-06, 05:25 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by cleverusername
A few days ago I was at Walmart and saw a lady doing something with the DVDs. It turns out she was from Anderson Merchandisers, the company that distributes CDs & DVDs to WalMart. I mentioned to her that some people are having a hard time finding Firefly. She said two interesting things:
1) Not all WalMarts participate in all promotions.
2) WalMart returns DVDs that don't sell quickly.
This would account for some people never finding the display while others find it but then it is gone. Dan.
I believe the reason people were having trouble finding Firefly during this promotion is because Wal Mart didn't limit the number of each product a single customer could buy.

The display I saw had only recently been placed on the floor and was almost completely filled with every other title. The space for Firefly was marked as such, but was completely empty. That means that either; 1) Wal Mart didn't get it in at all, 2) That Firefly fans number large enough to completely wipe them out on the first day, or 3) A couple of fans (or eBay scalpers) grabbed all they had in stock in one swoop.

I tend to believe the later since I've seen it happen before.
Old 01-20-06, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Bob

Originally Posted by Emma311
The display was on the inside end of the dvd aisle facing the tvs. I was at my local walmart today & they didn't have one (as usual).
Old 01-20-06, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by rich-y
I believe the reason people were having trouble finding Firefly during this promotion is because Wal Mart didn't limit the number of each product a single customer could buy.

The display I saw had only recently been placed on the floor and was almost completely filled with every other title. The space for Firefly was marked as such, but was completely empty. That means that either; 1) Wal Mart didn't get it in at all, 2) That Firefly fans number large enough to completely wipe them out on the first day, or 3) A couple of fans (or eBay scalpers) grabbed all they had in stock in one swoop.

This is exactly what happened at my walmarts!! I'm still waiting to get a firefly set. I got ther on the first day and they had only sold like 2 out of 100 box sets but firefly was completely wiped.
Old 01-20-06, 05:57 PM

And they're probably available on ebay....

Arg! I really wanted a $20 copy of Firefly.

Bob

Originally Posted by ericn101
This is exactly what happened at my walmarts!! I'm still waiting to get a firefly set. I got ther on the first day and they had only sold like 2 out of 100 box sets but firefly was completely wiped.
Old 01-20-06, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still don't know why people didn't just get the $22 Firefly Buy.com was selling at the same time. After you paid sales tax at Wal-mart it was almost that much anyway.
Old 01-20-06, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lecithin
I still don't know why people didn't just get the $22 Firefly Buy.com was selling at the same time. After you paid sales tax at Wal-mart it was almost that much anyway.
Believe me - I would've liked to but by the time I saw the deal, it was dead.
Old 01-21-06, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Target has Firefly on sale this week for $29.99. Not a great deal, but still cheaper than others stores.
Old 01-21-06, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_F1
I almost bought Firefly during DDD's 20% off sale. But then they bumped up the price mid-sale and I decided to wait.
No, they didn't. The DDD rep even said so!
Old 01-21-06, 12:00 PM

For those wanting Firefly:

Check the Fry's ads for Firefly (supposedly $4.99 in their Friday big 8-page ad and Saturday's ad too) - atleast in DFW. The fine print may actually be have to buy TurboTax Deluxe to get that price. So I don't think it is a misprint, although someone in Austin was told that by a Fry's employee there.
Old 01-21-06, 01:13 PM

Deleted

Last edited by Manzana; 01-24-06 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-22-06, 12:41 PM

I think ebay is the more logical answer. There are tons of them for sale.